Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:06:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Tennis 2022

Started by selectivememory, January 04, 2022, 12:35:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

druss

Djoke is pretty obnoxious and I did laugh when I saw the news this morning but for some balance it should be pointed out that he does more for charity than any other tennis player (and any other athlete during the pandemic apparently). He's clearly not a bad guy, just an idiot.

pigamus

People who seem a bit rum but do a lot of stuff for charity, never a red flag there

druss

Doing a lot for charity is a red flag? What a bizarre point of view.

gilbertharding

*sigh*

Not everybody who 'does a lot for charity' is terrible. Not by a long chalk. But quite a lot of terrible people also happen to have 'done a lot for charity'.

imitationleather

Finally we're all in agreement: Djokovic is definitely the new Savile

selectivememory

Apparently he's going to be in detention until Monday, when it seems his appeal will be heard. Even if he somehow finds a legal way out of it, this can't be good preparation for the Open, which is only a week and a half away now.

gilbertharding

Since he's in the news, I was bothered by this advert he appeared in for watches a few years ago.

Luckily I worked out what the problem was, and found my scalpel.

druss

Quote from: gilbertharding on January 06, 2022, 10:35:37 AMBut quite a lot of terrible people also happen to have 'done a lot for charity'.
Absolutely, but it's hardly a red flag.

gilbertharding

They didn't say 'doing a lot for charity' is a red flag. They said 'people who seem a bit rum but do a lot for charity' is a red flag.

druss

But it isn't though, is it? It's not like he's done a Trump and used charities for business purposes or done a Saville. He's wacky and daft but I've never seen anything to make me doubt that he has good intentions with his charity work.

peanutbutter

Quote from: druss on January 06, 2022, 09:18:24 AMDjoke is pretty obnoxious and I did laugh when I saw the news this morning but for some balance it should be pointed out that he does more for charity than any other tennis player (and any other athlete during the pandemic apparently). He's clearly not a bad guy, just an idiot.
It's been heavily towards Serbian public sector stuff and charities related to the orthodox church though, hasn't it? Which doesn't devalue the intent but does give some additional context to where he's coming from.

I think he's probably quite well intentioned, but he's also an idiot and he's quite steeped in nationalism which results in him being absolutely adored in Serbia and somewhat incapable of ever garnering major international appeal; the combo of all that could combine quite badly into enabling some bad shit after his playing career.
Entirely possible he might be a bit resistant towards some of the cuntier groups who'll try to weaponise his celebrity status post retirement and be kind of cast aside too though.

He was 12 when the NATO bombings happened in his home city, as far as I can gather he was still living there at the time but moved to Germany soon after.

I've seen him say that he dislikes politics and dislikes how it's focused on capitalism in the West, but haven't heard him talk politically beyond that.

shoulders

The more I read the more this seems like a political play for post-retirement plans. The more he is condemned, the more Serbia rallies around him. A generally embarrassing situation.

I have a couple of Serbian friends who are rational about everything else but seem to have a blindspot for Djokovic, he can really do no wrong in their eyes and anything negative that is said against him is part of a conspiracy, he really does seem to be adored in the Serbian community (meaning not just in the country itself).

They seem to be saying that this is a conspiracy to stop him winning his 21st title and becoming number 1, I don't think they've grasped that the uproar is coming from people who don't really give much of a shit about tennis, they're just hacked off by a covid denier trying to bypass the rules and flaunting it.

Crenners

Ketsui nuke Serbia now just in case

Nobody would stand up for thrm

Edit sorry yeah I play a lot of Ketsui

selectivememory

Czech player Renata Voráčová has now had her visa cancelled and is being deported thanks to a similar issue with her exemption. And apparently there's also an official they're looking into. Djokovic with his idiotic social media post before he travelled really ruined it for everyone lol.

Apparently Tennis Australia deliberately misled Novak and other players by telling them that a previous instance of Covid in the last six months would be legitimate grounds for an exemption. I guess they wanted to bend the rules to get him in, but he was convinced everything was in order. He is going to sue them into oblivion when this is all over. Absolute shambles all round.

chveik

real nice to see Osaka back.

selectivememory

Yeah, lovely to see her playing well and apparently a lot happier than she was last summer.

Women's draw could be a lot of fun this year. Osaka, Barty and Swiatek all looking great at the moment in the lead up.

shoulders

Djokovic seems like he is playing all this for his own benefit back home. Full on martyr act.

To be honest even getting on the plane was an act of brinkmanship so you should probably conclude it was calculated not idiotic.

selectivememory

So Djokovic's exemption apparently relies on a positive Covid test about a month ago. This Twitter thread does a good job of picking all the bullshit apart, but the most startling thing is seeing what he was up to the day after he supposedly tested positive:

QuoteOn December 17th, the day *after* Djokovic's purported positive PCR test on December 16th, Djokovic attended an award ceremony for children at the Novak Tennis Center.

Many posts from the kids there posing for pictures with him that day, again masklessly indoors.

So he's either a liar (which is what I would be betting on), or he's knowingly been spreading Covid around without a care in the world. Fucking scumbag either way, but Jesus Christ what a mess. Would think his reputation is never going to recover from this.

Deanjam

Nadal's draw in the Melbourne 250 he's playing is must be one of the easiest he's ever had.

Round 1: Bye
Round 2: Qualifier
Quarter-final: Walk over
Semi-final: Alternate
Final: Qualifier

rjd2

vanilla.coffee

One of his charitable actions was to donate money to victims of the Australian bush fires.

druss

Quote from: vanilla.coffee on January 09, 2022, 08:22:24 AMOne of his charitable actions was to donate money to victims of the Australian bush fires.

Would have been kinder to donate to their families.

Deanjam

Quote from: vanilla.coffee on January 09, 2022, 08:22:24 AMOne of his charitable actions was to donate money to victims of the Australian bush fires.

All very good, of course. But it amounted to about 20 grand when he's earned over 21 million in prize money at the Aussie open alone. The equivalent of me throwing 10p in the charity box at work.

Crenners

Gottem
No comebacks 😂😂😂

chveik

it's just for tax relief purposes. the guy's a sociopath

selectivememory

Lmao now Farage has gone to visit the Djokovic family ahead of his hearing today. Opportunistic little worm.

Gotta wonder how Novak feels seeing his cause being taken up by some of the worst public figures in the world. Maybe he doesn't care, I dunno.

shoulders

So long as the polling in Serbia goes +