Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:11:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Rugby League 2022

Started by dr beat, January 31, 2022, 09:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Eggs

Love to see JJB as Leeds interim coach if Agar gets sacked. "Can we just for a minute sit and think about our lord and have you accepted the love that Jesus Christ brings to finishing a set without a cunt passing into touch. And none of you dick heads want Brian McDermott. Unless you are mad. Pray for me"

Old Thrashbarg

Quote from: Schrodingers Cat on March 18, 2022, 09:20:32 AMI don't think it was even a penalty. If Fonua was able to get his hand to the ball, he couldn't have been that late.

Exactly, there was no foul play at all. He arrived in time to affect a tackle, did so, and knocked on. Absolutely all for them clamping down on things like the high tackle that resulted in a red card. That was purely down to poor/lazy technique and, whilst not particularly dangerous and something that I doubt would've resulted in a red card a couple of years ago, punishing that to force players to get rid of that kind of thing from their game is fine. I'm not sure what the intention is of punishing Fonua for his tackle, unless they're wanting to remove all potentially dangerous contact completely. In which case the only option is to get rid of all contact.

Much like when they've had clampdowns on other things in the past, such as the ridiculously harsh interpretation of obstruction from a few years ago, it feels like the intentions are good but they haven't worked out the details properly before the season. And games that actually matter are being used as a testing ground.

dr beat

Quote from: Mr Eggs on March 18, 2022, 08:39:44 AMThe world leader in dead animal reprocessing. SecAnim not Widnes RLFC.

We have a long and glorious history of that industry.  You could smell the old glue factory for miles.  Combined with the Golden Wonder factory (if you smell Pickled Onion it must be Tuesday) growing up in Widnes was an aromatic feast.

Schrodingers Cat

Gulftastic

Fucking hope so. This is atrocious stuff from Leeds.

Schrodingers Cat

You can have Radford if you like?!

mikeyg27

Paul Rowley looks like he's in a regional touring production of Glengarry Glen Ross.

Don't know what to make of Leeds. Even when they lost their first three I still thought they hadn't played too bad and only lost by a small amount to three of the four best teams, and the first half against Wakefield looked like proving me right, but they've been pretty shit ever since then.

Schrodingers Cat

Quote from: Schrodingers Cat on March 18, 2022, 09:20:32 AM. At this moment though, I think Wakefield will beat us but we'll limp to a win against Toulouse. Which means Radford will keep staggering us on for a couple more months at least.

Ohhh dear. Wakey and Toulouse both picking up wins today. Leaves us with the worst defence in the league and only one win after 6 games, and joint-bottom on points. I actually think we are going down :(
Naturally Cas fans have reacted very well to this and only around 75% of them are suggestion this is an RFL conspiracy to get us relegated.

Unless something big changes, I just can't see where our wins will come from? TO look like they will at least pick up wins at home. Leeds have enough decent players they will win the odd game when they can be arsed to do so. And everyone else just looks better than us. I have big question marks over the yellow against Wigan as said before, which made a huge change to the game, but we have lost 4 other games and every time the better side won (impossible to know how the Wigan game would have panned out, but I suspect we would have lost anyway).
The cup game next week looks... interesting? Both could probably do with losing it for the sake of concentrating on the league, but both could also really do with the confidence boost from winning it. Either way I'm sure it will be a high quality game and it being broadcast on national television won't be a complete embarrassment to the sport.

dr beat

Couple of very enjoyable CC games today. Pleased for Wakey after they should have had a video review for a penalty try call right at the end of the 1st half.

And Barrow are looking the real deal at the moment.  Gave Huddersfield a bit of a fright.

Also Kevin Brown doesn't half get around? He's been on all four channels! Good pundit tbf though

Schrodingers Cat

Sad news about Francis Maloney

Not really quite old enough to remember him playing, but not great to hear nevertheless. Puts into perspective all the fuss earlier in the season about how the game's gone soft for taking a hard line on head contact.

Mr Eggs

Watching NRL.

Oh England are so fucked.

mikeyg27

Cowboys - Wests this morning featured probably the greatest ever desperation being-tackled-into-touch-keep-it-alive-at-all-costs pass of all time.

Old Thrashbarg

When seeing that earlier I did go back to watch the ridiculous Inglis to Gasnier pass:

But I think this new one has it beat.

mikeyg27

I was also about to type the name 'Dean Whare' but honestly it's been nearly nine years and I'm still not over it.

dr beat

Anyone watching the CC? Hudds good value so far.

Junglist

Lolohea could cost them with these conversions, so bad

dr beat

mikeyg27

Quote from: Junglist on May 28, 2022, 04:34:12 PMLolohea could cost them with these conversions, so bad

DING DING WE HAVE A WINNER

I was originally hoping to go because Spurs is pretty close and I haven't been to the new stadium yet, but in the end I didn't bother because I was at Hudds' last two finals and they shat the bed hard both times. They didn't do that today but maaaaan they will think they fucked it bad. In the end that was a very close game that just came down to some missed kicks and Wigan taking advantage of space behind the line one time.

Junglist

Great final though. That grubber for the winning try was a thing of beauty.

Last game I went to was Wigan getting absolutely mullered at home against Saints last season so good to see them back at it.

Mr Eggs

Quote from: Mr Eggs on February 03, 2022, 03:59:06 AM

woo. lets go. stoked, etc.

"I think we're in a good place. I think we've had some difficulties. I think we're aligned now and headed in the right direction. Today is a big bump in the road and we can't let this derail us. We're in a positive frame of mind."

Yeah.

Gulftastic

If Leeds had conceded that try from the scrum I would have been livid. Pathetic defence.

mikeyg27

It's funny how State of Origin is lauded for its defensive intensity (rightly so, the two teams were beating the shit out of each other right to the very end) but can also feature a try off the most laughably rudimentary set-play from a scrum.

Old Thrashbarg

The old "hold the prop in the scrum and run through the gap he should be covering" is pure Saturday afternoon open age league stuff. Amazing to see it work on the biggest stage.

mikeyg27

Made-up international time this week. England squad:

QuoteMatty Ashton (Warrington Wolves), Joe Batchelor (St Helens), John Bateman (Wigan Warriors), Mike Cooper (Warrington Wolves), Liam Farrell (Wigan Warriors), Ryan Hall (Hull KR), Matty Lees (St Helens), Michael McIlorum, Mike McMeeken (both Catalans Dragons), Paul McShane (Castleford Tigers), Tommy Makinson (St Helens), Mikolaj Oledzki (Leeds Rhinos), Joe Philbin, Stefan Ratchford (both Warrington Wolves), Sam Tomkins (Catalans Dragons, Captain), Alex Walmsley (St Helens), Jake Wardle (Huddersfield Giants), Kallum Watkins (Salford Red Devils), Jack Welsby (St Helens), George Williams (Warrington Wolves)

Combined Nationalities squad:

QuoteDaryl Clark (Warrington Wolves), Brodie Croft (Salford Red Devils), Kenny Edwards (Castleford Tigers), Mahe Fonua (Castleford Tigers), Shaun Kenny-Dowall (Hull KR), Samisoni Langi (Catalans Dragons), Kruise Leeming (Leeds Rhinos), Joe Lovodua (Hull FC), Rhyse Martin (Leeds Rhinos), Peter Mata'utia (Warrington Wolves), Manu Maʻu (Hull FC), Jacob Miller (Wakefield Trinity), Matt Parcell (Hull KR), Matt Prior (Leeds Rhinos), Ligi Sao (Hull FC), Chris Satae (Hull FC), Ken Sio (Salford Red Devils), Kelepi Tanginoa (Wakefield Trinity) , Zane Tetevano (Leeds Rhinos)

My main observation is that there's an unhealthy amount of Warrington in the England squad, and the Wolves player I'd be most okay with playing for England is in the Combi squad! In fact, I'd pick their English hooker combo over the actual English hooker pairing (if you're going to allow England players in the CN squad, why not at least insist on a variety of positions). Trying to work out a decent backline from the England squad is making me grimace and look off into space...

I guess Wigan didn't release players for the CN squad.

Snrub

I don't mind the Combined Nations/Exiles thing in theory if it could be properly done, but 16 withdrawals is rediculous, as is replacing them with any England players not selected. In a world cup year as well, it's so classically Rugby League

Mr Eggs

mikeyg27

So that was... fine, I guess? Not really sure what was learned, though I did feel some of my bias did get confirmed.

Mr Eggs

A win at the Halliwell Jones for the home team.

Minds blown.

dr beat

Some interesting results this weekend.  Wire win without scoring a try, Salford tonk Wakey, and Batley beat Fev in the championship.  And Widnes come back from 6-22 down to beat London.

From what I saw in the gym, HKR were pretty abject.

Gulftastic

HKR weren't helped by having three players injured in the first quarter. By the end they were knackered.

Friday's Warrington/Hull match was the worst game I've seen in years. Two poor teams playing like shit