Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:26:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

All Of Us Are Dead

Started by Custard, January 31, 2022, 10:14:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Custard

A new "one and done" Netflix horror series from Korea

QuoteIt was a normal school day for the students of a Korean high school-until a student returns from the school's science lab, infected by an unknown virus.

I've seen the first two episodes (of a whopping 12), and so far it's entertaining, visceral stuff.

The action/horror scenes of the kids battling the zombies have that harsh Train To Busan feel, and are pretty exciting and pack a wallop.

Though I can understand people being bored to fuck of zombies at this point, I have found myself going with it and enjoying it for what it is, a bit of daft schlocky fun

I don't think it's gonna be "this year's Squid Game", which appears to be the advertising angle, but so far I would recommend it

Attila

I've just started watching this - I like to watch something whilst doing step aerobics, and stuff that's already subtitled is best for this.

I've just started the 3rd episode, as my step classes are 30-50 minutes, so I'm slowly making my way through it. Will bow out of this thread til I'm through with it to avoid spoilers, but I'm enjoying it so far.

Custard

How are you finding it, Attila? Did you finish?

I'm up to episode 6 and though I've found it a little dragging and slow on the action front at times, it's suddenly had several ace action scenes in a row. The whole sequence in
Spoiler alert
the library
[close]
....oof

Anyone else had a gander?

Brundle-Fly

Just Head Gardener and I on this thread.
https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=80254.60

Only three eps in but I'm loving it so far. I particularly like the inappropriate jazzy comedy underscore that creeps in now and again. Mind you, I'm having a few "I hear you're a racist now, Brundle-Fly" moments when I'm mixing up the many pupil characters. Actually, I'm like that these days with most films that have a large cast, irrespective of their race.

Consignia

Quote from: Custard on February 10, 2022, 07:24:14 PMAnyone else had a gander?

It's on my to-watch list. Looks pretty decent from the trails, just waiting for time to slot it in.

Custard

Some of the dialogue I think is really clunky and groan worthy, but I'm not sure if some things are being lost in translation as Netflix famously can make a balls of the dubbing at times

The action sequences are genuinely tense and exciting, though. I just wish there were more of them, and less clunky awkward humour. And I'm not sure this needed 12 episodes, when some episodes feel really padded out

Sorry, it sounds like I don't enjoy it, and I do. I just wish it was a bit faster paced, as then I'd imagine it'd be really good

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Custard on February 10, 2022, 10:33:04 PMSome of the dialogue I think is really clunky and groan worthy, but I'm not sure if some things are being lost in translation as Netflix famously can make a balls of the dubbing at times

I could be wrong but it sounds like all the actors they used on Squid Game are doing the dubbing. I reckon it is the translation issue. English and Korean are so different and they try hard to make the mouths match the words. That's why there is so much whining and grunts to feel the space. They seem to be obsessed with eating, shitting and pissing in Korean cinema.

The bit where they decide to build a toilet really solidified my appreciation of this show. It's so cute and bizarre.

Attila

Quote from: Custard on February 10, 2022, 07:24:14 PMHow are you finding it, Attila? Did you finish?

I'm up to episode 6 and though I've found it a little dragging and slow on the action front at times, it's suddenly had several ace action scenes in a row. The whole sequence in
Spoiler alert
the library
[close]
....oof

Anyone else had a gander?

I'm up only to episode 7 -- I had to take a week off due to travel and now a stinking cold, so I don't feel up to exercising (I watch it while doing my daily step class). I'm still liking it so far, though! I know I'm into something when I don't realise how much time is going past while I'm stomping away on my step bench.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: canted_angle_again on February 11, 2022, 08:21:57 PMThe bit where they decide to build a toilet really solidified my appreciation of this show. It's so cute and bizarre.

Were you shouting at the screen?, "USE THE PLASTIC WASTEPAPER BIN TO PISS AND SHIT IN AND THEN LOB THE DOINGS OUT THE WINDOW!

I don't think it's in Korean culture to throw excrement out of the window, they seem very precious about it.

Custard

I gotta say, the last third of this really does escalate and is mostly really well done and exciting. Extremely tense in parts, too.

I think it could have done without Mullet The Bully, as zombies against schoolkids is enough on its own, but it's a small gripe really

We have the final episode to go, and I wish it'd been this good throughout, but I'd still highly recommend it

Butchers Blind

Just finished episode 7. God it's tense stuff in parts, had me shouting 'OPEN THE DOOR' at the tv.

Brundle-Fly

It's one of those shows where I'm going to miss the characters now it's over. Some of them I wanted to adopt.

Consignia

Finally getting round to watching this. Really enjoying it so far; up to the 5th episode. Although as with most K-dramas I've seen, the pace is glacial. I'm sure many of the episodes could have about 15 minutes cut without much loss to story.

Consignia

Just finished it; loved it. Still think it could have cut some flab from the runtime. But I suppose it did give characters time to endear you. Every
Spoiler alert
character death really got to me.
[close]