Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 06:59:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Rewatching Sherlock (Gatiss Moffat versione)

Started by kalowski, April 23, 2022, 10:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

I watched the first couple of seasons of Sherlock probably during the hiatus between seasons two and three and I definitely watched the first episode of season three, then couldn't really be bothered any more. After watching Hbomb's video I went and watched the final episode of season four and fucking hell what a load of bullshit and what a waste of a concept. And by concept I mean a third Holmes sibling whose vast intelligence has resulted in complete blunting of any empathy for fellow human beings. We see both Mycroft and Sherlock struggle to "people", as fandom puts it, so carrying that to its extreme would've been interesting. Except it gets so ludicrous that it's impossible to take seriously.

I watched the first three or four seasons of Elementary and much preferred it to Sherlock, although it does lean very heavily on SHERLOCK DOES DRUGS HE DOES DRUGS JUST LIKE IN THE BOOK DID YOU KNOW THE ORIGINAL SHERLOCK HOLMES DOES DRUGS? I'm also highly amused that the Sherlock fandom wanted Holmes/Watson so badly and never got it, while Elementary did do Holmes/Watson except it was the other Holmes.

My current favourite iteration of Sherlock Holmes is "Herlock Sholmes" (ingeniously spoonerised to avoid copyright claims) from The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles. He forms part of a game mechanic in which he makes an outlandishly ludicrous deduction and then the player character has to go through his deduction and swap out some words to figure out what really happened. He keeps you guessing as to whether he's a frontman for the real genius Dr. Wilson, a guy with slightly above average observation/reasoning skills who believes his own hype, or an eccentric genius trying to teach you his method. And he looks like a blond version of Benedict Cumberbatch.

Mister Six

Quote from: notjosh on April 26, 2022, 01:27:24 PMHe's (crowbarred in) at the end of the first one as well!

Oh, I suppose I must just have dementia, then. :(

mjwilson

Quote from: Mister Six on April 26, 2022, 02:58:44 PMOh, I suppose I must just have dementia, then. :(

Yeah, we told you that last week.

Des Wigwam

iPlayer has just thrown this in after Gordon Ramsay's The Apprentice. Can only assume my tastes are so eclectic the algorithm just says 'based on your habits I have no idea what you'd like. Try this'. It's S1E1 and I didn't notice what it was - thought it was a new Tim from The Office drama. I hated this first time round but didn't give it much of a chance. I always struggle to like Benedict Cumberbatch. Not really sure why. He's talented enough but overly lauded and I think it's tied into Alexei Sayles' "well my cat could do as good a job if it had had the same opportunities" thing.

tl;dr Didn't like this at the time. Going to give it another go.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: Natnar on April 24, 2022, 08:33:13 PMThe first series of Sherlock was ok but then it got sucked up into it's own smug arse.

sums it up perfectly. Remember looking forward to series 3 then just thinking christ the wheels have come off this pretty hard. It started off great and then just turned into fart-huffing fan service. Only three feature length episodes per series and they still fuck it up.

elliszeroed

First time I watched the last episode of Series 1, I honestly thought for a moment that Watson was Moriarty/ a master criminal.

Not sure if that was the aim of the scene, but it would have made a fantastic twist.

(Kind of reminds me of that Batman comic where Alfred is revealed to have been behind all of Gotham's criminals in order to keep Bruce sane, or something).

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on April 24, 2022, 05:10:55 PMAndrew Scott's Moriarty is one of the most annoying performances I've ever seen. Unfair, maybe, but I wish never to see him act again.

I was so pleased to read this, as it was my own reaction. I remember finding it excruciating in how try-hard it was; the sheer amount of affectation layered on.

willbo

I stopped watching after that episode where he mocks the nerd for wanting to know how he faked his death. It wasn't just the show - there was a load on hardcore fans on IMDB mocking anyone who didn't like the lack of explanation and loudly going on about how stupid and point-missing they were - I couldn't watch the show again without thinking of those fans.