Cook'd and Bomb'd

Forums => Oscillations => Topic started by: holyzombiejesus on March 29, 2022, 02:29:05 PM

Title: Rip-offs
Post by: holyzombiejesus on March 29, 2022, 02:29:05 PM
I know, prices are going up, there's no-one forcing you to buy it, lots of records are aimed at wealthier collectors nowadays. But...

There's a Karen Dalton reissue due. I really like her so would quite like the fancy triple vinyl edition with extra 7"s and whatnot.

The normal album is about £28.
The 2LP version with 2 7"s is £80. You get a booklet too. 2 7"s, an extra LP (albeit a 45rpm one) and a booklet for £52. Not great really, going off the idea now.
The 3LP version has the same as the 2LP edition but also includes a 45rpm, one-sided 12" and a fold out poster. £140. £60 for an 18" x 24" poster and a one sided 12". Bizarre.
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: chutnut on March 29, 2022, 02:51:40 PM
I've almost completely stopped buying vinyl now because of this, even 3-4 years ago it was getting to the point where any album I wanted was about £30 minimum, and singles about £12. bloody nightmare!
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: Brundle-Fly on March 29, 2022, 03:16:20 PM
Then, you see these ltd edition vinyl editions on Discogs a few months later selling at an even higher price. Dealers, as well as wealthy collectors too it seems.
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: Pauline Walnuts on March 29, 2022, 03:21:35 PM
[tag]Record Store Day Leaves Thread Furtively[/tag]
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: SweetPomPom on March 29, 2022, 05:21:11 PM
Nick Cave enters thread selling his tour merch - cashmere jumpers, only 450 quid.
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: Sebastian Cobb on March 29, 2022, 05:23:51 PM
Single lp seems a bit steep. I just picked up Ibibio Sound Machine for £21 last week.

2lp with only 3 sides though, maddening.
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: ProvanFan on March 29, 2022, 05:30:31 PM
Listening to them is quite inconvenient too. Unless you have an employee or pet to flip them over.
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: The Mollusk on March 29, 2022, 06:13:46 PM
(https://www.prints-online.com/image/164/8195949/8195949_450_450_676_0_fit_0_4c9621ca671c133f4e629a9f6c53fbbe.jpg)

Me, a CD collector, reading this thread
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: lazyhour on March 29, 2022, 06:35:30 PM
Quote from: holyzombiejesus on March 29, 2022, 02:29:05 PMThe normal album is about £28.
The 2LP version with 2 7"s is £80. You get a booklet too. 2 7"s, an extra LP (albeit a 45rpm one) and a booklet for £52. Not great really, going off the idea now.
The 3LP version has the same as the 2LP edition but also includes a 45rpm, one-sided 12" and a fold out poster. £140. £60 for an 18" x 24" poster and a one sided 12". Bizarre.

Fuck me. Do you mind if I steal this outrage for the next episode of my record collecting podcast? I'm looking forward to infuriating our listeners with it!
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: purlieu on March 29, 2022, 07:49:03 PM
Worth mentioning that, adjusted for inflation, your £14.99 CD album from 1995 would now be worth £30. So vinyl prices today aren't actually quite as bad as they seem, and your average £9.99 CD these days is little more than the price of a single back in the '90s.

Anyway, I spotted the vinyl edition of Parklife for £49.99 in HMV recently, which is fucking absurd.

Nothing's going to beat the All Things Must Pass reissue, though. The 5CD edition, not even in a huge lavish book, just packaged into a 12x12cm jewel-case-sized cardboard box, £119.99. The size and amount of content of one of those 'Original Album Series' boxsets you see, only 12 times the price!
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: holyzombiejesus on March 29, 2022, 08:21:02 PM
Quote from: lazyhour on March 29, 2022, 06:35:30 PMFuck me. Do you mind if I steal this outrage for the next episode of my record collecting podcast? I'm looking forward to infuriating our listeners with it!

Not at all. The details are here (http://monorailmusic.com/product/in-my-own-time/). It's such a great album and I'd love to hear the live stuff but it's really strange to charge that much. Light in the Attic can be quite pricey but they don't normally do stuff as stupid as this. Having said that, their Angel Olsen/ Karen Dalton split 7" was nearly £20.
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: Kankurette on March 29, 2022, 09:04:20 PM
Quote from: SweetPomPom on March 29, 2022, 05:21:11 PMNick Cave enters thread selling his tour merch - cashmere jumpers, only 450 quid.
"Hold my wine" - Maynard James Keenan
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: sardines on March 29, 2022, 09:26:51 PM
Quote from: holyzombiejesus on March 29, 2022, 02:29:05 PMThere's a Karen Dalton reissue due. I really like her so would quite like the fancy triple vinyl edition with extra 7"s and whatnot.



Just to add to this, Light In The Attic have been reissuing this album in various forms since 2006. Which adds to the thought that this is a completely unnecessary release. 

Another fitting the theme- I still see The Doors 'London Fog' knocking about stores in its oversized battered DHL cardboard box (sorry'deluxe individually numbered boxset') containing a 10" of about 20 minutes of inaudible rehearsals. Around 60 quid on release if I remember correctly.
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: holyzombiejesus on March 29, 2022, 09:30:05 PM
Quote from: SweetPomPom on March 29, 2022, 05:21:11 PMNick Cave enters thread selling his tour merch - cashmere jumpers, only 450 quid.

Cave writes some of the notes in the booklet. I do wish he'd fuck off.
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: jobotic on March 29, 2022, 09:35:33 PM
The worst thing is Karen Dalton won't see a penny.


I remember being in Rough Trade Nottingham about seven years ago and there was Songs About Fucking for £35.

Exactly the same as mine that was £5.99 in Our Price.

I am one of those plums who thinks everything is shockingly expensive - expecting gigs to cost a fiver and what have you - but that's still a fucking rip off.
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: Video Game Fan 2000 on March 29, 2022, 09:36:34 PM
Quote from: purlieu on March 29, 2022, 07:49:03 PMNothing's going to beat the All Things Must Pass reissue, though. The 5CD edition, not even in a huge lavish book, just packaged into a 12x12cm jewel-case-sized cardboard box, £119.99. The size and amount of content of one of those 'Original Album Series' boxsets you see, only 12 times the price!

I always thought this album was far too short and could use some padding.
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: Sebastian Cobb on April 08, 2022, 01:45:56 PM
3xLP 25th anniversary edition of Dig Your Own Hole... £45

https://store.thechemicalbrothers.com/*/*/Limited-Edition-Dig-Your-Own-Hole-3LP-vinyl-with-5-new-bonus-tracks/7E1I0000000

Preying on the weak imo. There seems something especially pointless about re-releasing mid-90's dance music (which was produced digitally and probably mixed to DAT) that was produced for home CD listening (the vinyl editions were mostly for DJ's) on vinyl.

I like this album, and like buying records but I have it on CD, and more than likely would stream it rather than dig it out, and have no desire to buy it in another format.
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: holyzombiejesus on April 09, 2022, 01:36:33 PM
That £80, 4LP (+ book of photos!) box set of Pavement's worst album is pretty ridiculous too. 28 previously unreleased tracks and unseen photos. Nah.
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: kalowski on April 09, 2022, 01:41:05 PM
My local record shop has Slipknot's Iowa reissued on "coke bottle clear coloured vinyl" for £54.99
Notwithstanding the fact that I wouldn't pay 59p for a Slipknot record, the shop had this comment in their newsletter
QuoteSorry about the price our margins remain the same but the product costs us more, blame the major labels!
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: The Mollusk on April 09, 2022, 03:20:39 PM
Was in Flashback the other week and they had the self titled Daughters album on CD for £30. You know, the band whose singer recently got absolutely demolished when he was outed as a serial rapist/abuser? I couldn't stop myself coughing out a single guffaw at that.
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: Memorex MP3 on April 09, 2022, 11:16:31 PM
Quote from: holyzombiejesus on April 09, 2022, 01:36:33 PMThat £80, 4LP (+ book of photos!) box set of Pavement's worst album is pretty ridiculous too. 28 previously unreleased tracks and unseen photos. Nah.
The weird thing about that one is that it's purely a completists release*; but it's completing a set that has (afaik) only come out on CD. I don't really get why someone would buy the vinyl over the CDs if they've already got the other 4 on CD. I guess it's a trial for releasing all the others on vinyl at 80 each too?


* they done the first 4 albums and had very little left to do another for Terror Twilight but people really wanted it so here it is
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: lazyhour on April 10, 2022, 01:43:22 PM
What seems crazy to me is that the deluxe Terror Twilight doesn't even include the best b-sides from the era! How on earth can it not include Harness Your Hopes?
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: lazyhour on April 10, 2022, 01:44:50 PM
OK, I've just discovered why - all the great Terror Twilight-era b-sides are on the Brighten The Corners reissue.

Seems stupid.
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: Sebastian Cobb on April 10, 2022, 04:41:24 PM
Quote from: kalowski on April 09, 2022, 01:41:05 PMMy local record shop has Slipknot's Iowa reissued on "coke bottle clear coloured vinyl" for £54.99
Notwithstanding the fact that I wouldn't pay 59p for a Slipknot record, the shop had this comment in their newsletter

I ended up on a Yazz Ahmed mailing list after buying some stuff on bandcamp and she's thrown the odd dig at people holding up pressing plants including a 'big artist', I'm going to assume it's either Taylor Swift or Adele.
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: kalowski on April 10, 2022, 04:51:24 PM
My LRS said Swift's 1989 was out soon so I'm assuming it's her too.
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: Pauline Walnuts on April 10, 2022, 06:03:04 PM
Adele pressed up half a million of her latest album didn't she?
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: holyzombiejesus on April 10, 2022, 09:35:14 PM
I think Abba were partly responsible too. Not sure if Taylor Swift will be pressing up that many copies on vinyl to make much of a difference.
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: purlieu on April 10, 2022, 10:30:37 PM
The Taylor's Version re-recordings are all triple and quadruple LP sets, which probably won't help.
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: Pinball on April 10, 2022, 10:53:07 PM
By contrast, CDs remain great value, rippable, easier to play and better quality.
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: purlieu on April 11, 2022, 10:58:27 AM
They also take up less room and you don't have to check on Discogs first to see if it's actually a good pressing or not.
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: Pauline Walnuts on April 11, 2022, 11:03:15 AM
Quote from: purlieu on April 11, 2022, 10:58:27 AMYou don't have to check on Discogs first to see if it's actually a good pressing or not.

Yeah you do, apparently.


https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/search/87704075/?q=Best+CD&o=relevance&c[node]=2
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: Pauline Walnuts on April 11, 2022, 11:08:02 AM
Quote from: The Mollusk on March 29, 2022, 06:13:46 PM(https://www.prints-online.com/image/164/8195949/8195949_450_450_676_0_fit_0_4c9621ca671c133f4e629a9f6c53fbbe.jpg)

Me, a CD collector, reading this thread

You mean your collection is now worth less than you paid for it, and this makes you happy?

Sits on piles of 3 for £5 scratchy crap LPs, and laughs. was that the floorboards/joists creaking then?
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: purlieu on April 11, 2022, 12:47:49 PM
Quote from: Pauline Walnuts on April 11, 2022, 11:03:15 AMYeah you do, apparently.


https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/search/87704075/?q=Best+CD&o=relevance&c[node]=2

That's all about mastering though, vinyl can still have the same issues there. You know if you buy a CD it'll actually work as it's intended. During my brief period of buying vinyl I got so sick of ending up with record that were unlistenable due to bad pressings, pops and clicks and noise and distortion and even skipping.
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: Sebastian Cobb on April 11, 2022, 03:50:51 PM
It's nowhere near as common as a poor pressing in vinyl but certain cd pressings are prone to things like disc rot.

My concern with cd's is keeping the playback equipment alive, most of the components in a turntable can be machined by normal people so can be serviced pretty much indefinitely, even if I lack the skills myself. When replacement laser assemblies and transport parts become hard to source you could well be in trouble, I've had to replace the laser in my NAD deck, thankfully that was easy to source and replace.
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: purlieu on April 11, 2022, 04:00:19 PM
You won't find disc rot on anything produced after the early '90s. There were only a couple of plants responsible for it. Unfortunately they tended to be popular with smaller independents, making a lot of the releases affected already somewhat rare as it is. I was very happy when Steven Stapleton finally reissued a couple of early Nurse With Wound albums last year as both my copies had already begun to bronze.

I'm yet to need to replace any parts on any CD player I've owned. Probably be a pain some point down the line, although once I get my own place again I'm hoping to just use my BluRay player for everything.
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: kalowski on April 11, 2022, 04:06:40 PM
Only ever had skipping on old, second hand, ignored discs (apart from one brand new vinyl).
Surely the point nowadays of vinyl is just enjoying the larger artwork and the little ritual of putting the disc on. If you want the very best quality just get a flac download or similar.
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: purlieu on April 11, 2022, 10:52:40 PM
Depends. For me, when I've been forced to be without my CD collection, I've actually really struggled. I'm so used to browsing my shelves for something to listen to and I find scrolling through on the computer kind of overwhelming. There's also the element of physically 'owning' the release that makes me much more likely to put it on, for whatever reason. I only listen to stuff on my computer when there's no physical version.

That said, physical stuff is generally just a habitual/ritual thing now and if I grew up in the download era I would be utterly baffled by people wanting to clog their house up with bits of plastic that simply replicate something that takes up no space at all.

I've bought a few new skipping LPs over the years, though. Might have been unlucky, but I definitely had enough bad experiences with vinyl to make me decide to stick to CDs, aesthetically pleasing as LPs are.
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: holyzombiejesus on June 13, 2022, 07:50:08 PM
Chapterhouse (ha!) are reissuing their 2nd single. A 4 track 12". £23.49
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: lazyhour on June 13, 2022, 08:58:53 PM
Quote from: holyzombiejesus on June 13, 2022, 07:50:08 PMChapterhouse (ha!) are reissuing their 2nd single. A 4 track 12". £23.49

£27 from Rough Trade.
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: holyzombiejesus on June 13, 2022, 09:09:10 PM
About a tenner from Discogs.
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: SteveDave on June 14, 2022, 02:38:10 PM
I saw on the Facebook the other day a reissue of some mid-70s solo Bryan Ferry album and my first thought was, who wants this? Surely any Bryan Ferry maniac already has it. And if they don't, any second hand record shop in the world could sort you out a copy of "The Bride Stripped Bare" for £1. There's so much unnecessary reissues. There should be a committee who you have to go to and they take a look at Discogs and say "There's a million copies of this available already...fuck off"

When is Dynaflex coming back?
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: holyzombiejesus on June 14, 2022, 02:50:25 PM
Reissue of Deacon Blue's Raintown coming as part of the delayed RSD 'drop'. Fuck this shit.
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: Famous Mortimer on June 14, 2022, 02:50:46 PM
I'm having a similar experience with "targeted" ads for a reissue of "Sunburn" by the Blake Babies. Who on earth wanted this who didn't already own it? Almost entirely forgotten middle-of-the-road indie (sorry, "college rock"), and while there are presumably some fans of lead Blake Babies person Juliana Hatfield, I'm not sure her rather quiet career over the last...25 years or so?...warrants a reissue of anything.
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: Sebastian Cobb on June 14, 2022, 02:52:18 PM
I'd tolerate Dynaflex but draw the line at styrene.
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: Sebastian Cobb on June 14, 2022, 02:53:54 PM
Quote from: holyzombiejesus on June 14, 2022, 02:50:25 PMReissue of Deacon Blue's Raintown coming as part of the delayed RSD 'drop'. Fuck this shit.

lol, aka the pressing plants couldn't get this out in time for the actual day but please buy this dressed-up edition regardless otherwise we're in the hole.
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: holyzombiejesus on June 14, 2022, 02:58:28 PM
Yeah, the list for the June releases is real desolation stuff. Go West and The Farm!

https://recordstoreday.co.uk/news/2022/a-guide-to-june-s-rsd-exclusives/
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: gilbertharding on June 14, 2022, 03:16:32 PM
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: gilbertharding on June 14, 2022, 03:17:16 PM
Quote from: The Mollusk on March 29, 2022, 06:13:46 PM(https://www.prints-online.com/image/164/8195949/8195949_450_450_676_0_fit_0_4c9621ca671c133f4e629a9f6c53fbbe.jpg)

Me, a CD collector, reading this thread

Is that Roy Race?
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: axel2019 on June 16, 2022, 10:30:15 AM
RSD is particularly bad for overpriced tat at the moment, but things like this still make me think its still worthwhile. The major labels just need to eff off

https://recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/14815 (https://recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/14815)
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: Sebastian Cobb on June 17, 2022, 12:37:28 PM
Quote from: axel2019 on June 16, 2022, 10:30:15 AMRSD is particularly bad for overpriced tat at the moment, but things like this still make me think its still worthwhile. The major labels just need to eff off

https://recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/14815 (https://recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/14815)

I feel like a lot of this could just happen anyway without making it a big thing.

One of the ones this time around was Jarboe's Blood, Women, Roses which doesn't seem to be available to stream or download and doesn't appear to have had a cd release until 2022. By the time I realised I wanted it, it had sold out but I got a pristine copy from the 80's for half the price which given the hit and miss mastering standards of modern releases I found preferable anyway.

I did really enjoy the Santigold 'mix album' she did a few years back though.
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: checkoutgirl on June 17, 2022, 12:52:38 PM
I just dreamt that crunchy nut cornflakes were 16 quid for a very thin box. Rip off.
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: holyzombiejesus on June 20, 2022, 01:13:06 PM
The second round of RSD releases go online tonight. Just seen that thsi includes a 12" single of Madness' Baggy Trousers for £27.
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: Sebastian Cobb on June 20, 2022, 03:29:31 PM
Quote from: holyzombiejesus on June 20, 2022, 01:13:06 PMThe second round of RSD releases go online tonight. Just seen that thsi includes a 12" single of Madness' Baggy Trousers for £27.

Christ! I've got One Step Beyond, which cost me next to nothing in a charity shop and let's face it that's their best. A wheeler-dealer mate gave me a copy of The Rise and Fall because they'd got it with some other stuff and couldn't be arsed listing it. Absolutely, which Baggy Trousers is on appears to have VG+ copies on discogs for less than 3 quid (excl postage).
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: Pauline Walnuts on June 21, 2022, 12:44:26 PM
https://roughtrade.com/gb/roger-waters/amused-to-death-analogue-productions-edition/lp-x4

(https://images.roughtrade.com/product/images/files/000/233/552/hero/unnamed.jpg?1641919829)

 Now a 45 RPM 4LP and 2LP 200-gram set £189.99 and £89.99
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: Sebastian Cobb on June 21, 2022, 01:13:09 PM
'kin ell. Just preying on the weak.
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: the science eel on June 21, 2022, 02:19:06 PM
Quote from: purlieu on April 11, 2022, 04:00:19 PMYou won't find disc rot on anything produced after the early '90s. There were only a couple of plants responsible for it. Unfortunately they tended to be popular with smaller independents, making a lot of the releases affected already somewhat rare as it is. I was very happy when Steven Stapleton finally reissued a couple of early Nurse With Wound albums last year as both my copies had already begun to bronze.

I'm yet to need to replace any parts on any CD player I've owned. Probably be a pain some point down the line, although once I get my own place again I'm hoping to just use my BluRay player for everything.

I've never heard of replacing parts on a CD player. Is it that your machine is very expensive? Why not just buy a new one?

I threw out my old CD player last year (after 25 years of use), bought a new Marantz, cost me £350, should do for ten years or more.
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: the science eel on June 21, 2022, 02:20:12 PM
Quote from: Pauline Walnuts on June 21, 2022, 12:44:26 PMhttps://roughtrade.com/gb/roger-waters/amused-to-death-analogue-productions-edition/lp-x4

(https://images.roughtrade.com/product/images/files/000/233/552/hero/unnamed.jpg?1641919829)

 Now a 45 RPM 4LP and 2LP 200-gram set £189.99 and £89.99

I really don't understand why anyone alive would want such a thing.

Waters is a wanker, the 'music' is shit, it's overpriced. it's all absolute shit. Seriously! What gives?
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: Sebastian Cobb on June 21, 2022, 03:00:48 PM
Quote from: the science eel on June 21, 2022, 02:19:06 PMI've never heard of replacing parts on a CD player. Is it that your machine is very expensive? Why not just buy a new one?

I threw out my old CD player last year (after 25 years of use), bought a new Marantz, cost me £350, should do for ten years or more.

It's not uncommon for the lasers to fog up or wear out eventually. It happened to my NAD, the parts are pretty common, in my case it was a Sony laser that is present in all sorts of players, it cost £10.
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: purlieu on June 21, 2022, 07:03:14 PM
Quote from: the science eel on June 21, 2022, 02:19:06 PMI've never heard of replacing parts on a CD player. Is it that your machine is very expensive? Why not just buy a new one?

I threw out my old CD player last year (after 25 years of use), bought a new Marantz, cost me £350, should do for ten years or more.
That was mostly in response to Sebastian Cobb's remark rather than a concern of my own.
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: Pauline Walnuts on June 21, 2022, 08:14:27 PM
Quote from: the science eel on June 21, 2022, 02:20:12 PMI really don't understand why anyone alive would want such a thing.

Waters is a wanker, the 'music' is shit, it's overpriced. it's all absolute shit. Seriously! What gives?

But, but... It's his best album! (That doesn't have Ron Geesin on it)
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: holyzombiejesus on June 21, 2022, 08:38:30 PM
Quote from: the science eel on June 21, 2022, 02:20:12 PMI really don't understand why anyone alive would want such a thing.

Waters is a wanker
, the 'music' is shit, it's overpriced. it's all absolute shit. Seriously! What gives?

Is he? Not arsed about Floyd feuds but he seems, politically at least, a pretty decent bloke.
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: Pauline Walnuts on June 21, 2022, 08:46:31 PM
He's always been a bit of a wanker, but these days he's a double handed wanka
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: Sex Festival Organizer on June 22, 2022, 08:27:13 PM
Tonight I was at my favourite bar-cum-record-store, and I noticed this:

(https://i.imgur.com/NPVif5a.jpg)

The sticker might look like it says 79.00, but it's actually 1879.00, which is approx. 200 quid. And I was just thinking, who on earth would pay that much money for something like this? I mean, I don't mind The Stones, but this is surely ridiculous.
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: lazyhour on June 22, 2022, 08:32:23 PM
I seriously doubt anyone's gonna top this in the value-for-money stakes: £38 for a two-track Paul McCartney 12" single.

Thirty-eight pounds. That's nineteen pounds per song.

https://www.roughtrade.com/gb/paul-mccartney/women-and-wives (https://www.roughtrade.com/gb/paul-mccartney/women-and-wives)
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: Sex Festival Organizer on June 22, 2022, 09:02:57 PM
At the same place I also saw this:

https://fanwear.no/products/the-dogs-vinylkransekake?variant=37881441484973

It's in Norwegian only, but it's basically an album in the form of a layer cake consisting of vinyls in different formats (from 4 to 12 inches). So what will it cost you to hear this, you might ask? Oh, just 412 quid plus postage.

Granted, this is a band that is well known for taking the piss (among other things, they have their own official 90 pound manhole covers for sale, at approx. the same price), but imagine waking up after a night out with the aforementioned «cake» resting beside your bed?
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: holyzombiejesus on June 22, 2022, 09:04:59 PM
Quote from: Sex Festival Organizer on June 22, 2022, 08:27:13 PMTonight I was at my favourite bar-cum-record-store, and I noticed this:

(https://i.imgur.com/NPVif5a.jpg)

The sticker might look like it says 79.00, but it's actually 1879.00, which is approx. 200 quid. And I was just thinking, who on earth would pay that much money for something like this? I mean, I don't mind The Stones, but this is surely ridiculous.

That's not actually too bad. 18 7" singles for 200 is on the pricey side but it's not extortionate.
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: Sex Festival Organizer on June 22, 2022, 09:22:17 PM
Quote from: holyzombiejesus on June 22, 2022, 09:04:59 PMThat's not actually too bad. 18 7" singles for 200 is on the pricey side but it's not extortionate.

Oh. Damn, that's taken the wind out of my sails a bit. I'll admit the only single on vinyl I've ever bought is Chris Isaak's Wicked Game, so I'm not exactly au fait with the prices of these things...
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: Uncle TechTip on June 22, 2022, 09:45:45 PM
Over 10 pounds for a repressed 7" is all manner of extortionate, don't you worry. Maybe compared to these awful record store day deals it looks more favourable, and it's Norway so expensive to start with, but still.
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: Wayman C. McCreery on June 22, 2022, 10:42:24 PM
Guess how much the upcoming reissue of Bowie's is. Double black vinyl, no extras.

Spoiler alert
£51.99

https://www.normanrecords.com/records/143730-david-bowie-earthling
[close]

My indie of choice sent a message out to say that they're appalled at the wholesale price and are refusing to stock it. Fair fucks.

Spoiler alert
Wholesale price is £35. Mad.
[close]
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: Ron Maels Moustache on June 23, 2022, 08:50:17 AM
HMV recently reopened in my town after several years absence, with the music section having a heavy vinyl focus. Unfortunately it's all expensive new releases/reissues with an average low-end price of around £30.

To me that really starkly emphasises the difference between what records used to be (mass-produced, functional, affordable) and what they've become (a luxury item aimed at collectors with more money than sense).

I bet they'll have to start marking stuff down eventually though, no way will they shift all those discs at that price point.
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: the science eel on June 23, 2022, 09:13:20 AM
Quote from: Ron Maels Moustache on June 23, 2022, 08:50:17 AMHMV recently reopened in my town after several years absence, with the music section having a heavy vinyl focus. Unfortunately it's all expensive new releases/reissues with an average low-end price of around £30.

To me that really starkly emphasises the difference between what records used to be (mass-produced, functional, affordable) and what they've become (a luxury item aimed at collectors with more money than sense).

I bet they'll have to start marking stuff down eventually though, no way will they shift all those discs at that price point.

That's what I thought when they reopened the Workington branch a few years ago. But no, it's still full of CRAZEEEE priced vinyl, there's never any fucker in there, it's a mystery how they keep going.

Do they get funded by other businesses or something?
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: Wayman C. McCreery on June 23, 2022, 09:14:54 AM
Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on June 22, 2022, 10:42:24 PMGuess how much the upcoming reissue of Bowie's is. Double black vinyl, no extras.

Spoiler alert
£51.99

https://www.normanrecords.com/records/143730-david-bowie-earthling
[close]

My indie of choice sent a message out to say that they're appalled at the wholesale price and are refusing to stock it. Fair fucks.

Spoiler alert
Wholesale price is £35. Mad.
[close]

I meant to say "Bowie's Earthling" there, not just "Bowie's". Obviously.
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: Rich Uncle Skeleton on June 23, 2022, 10:05:23 AM
Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on June 22, 2022, 10:42:24 PMGuess how much the upcoming reissue of Bowie's is. Double black vinyl, no extras.

Spoiler alert
£51.99

https://www.normanrecords.com/records/143730-david-bowie-earthling
[close]

My indie of choice sent a message out to say that they're appalled at the wholesale price and are refusing to stock it. Fair fucks.

Spoiler alert
Wholesale price is £35. Mad.
[close]

Fucks sake, how?? Are EMI or whoever owns them now paying for fast track pressing past the backlog at the plant and passing on that cost or something?

Surely there's more of a reason than just "vinyls trendy again, he's a dead "legacy" artist and we know you'll buy it anyway so we'll charge what we want"
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: Art Bear on June 23, 2022, 10:14:40 AM
Quote from: lazyhour on June 22, 2022, 08:32:23 PMI seriously doubt anyone's gonna top this in the value-for-money stakes: £38 for a two-track Paul McCartney 12" single.

Thirty-eight pounds. That's nineteen pounds per song.

https://www.roughtrade.com/gb/paul-mccartney/women-and-wives (https://www.roughtrade.com/gb/paul-mccartney/women-and-wives)

Limited to a total quantity of 3000 worldwide.
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: Fonz on June 23, 2022, 10:20:53 AM
Quote from: the science eel on June 23, 2022, 09:13:20 AMThat's what I thought when they reopened the Workington branch a few years ago. But no, it's still full of CRAZEEEE priced vinyl, there's never any fucker in there, it's a mystery how they keep going.

Do they get funded by other businesses or something?

The really strange thing about the two HMVs near me is the large amount of weird Japanese and American sweets and fizzy pop, that are extortionately priced £3-5 for some weird pop or exotic kitkat style candy.  I've never seen anyone buy any.
Similar to the americandy money- laundering shops, perhaps?
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: Rich Uncle Skeleton on June 23, 2022, 10:24:31 AM
Yeah wouldn't be surprised at this stage. Our new (well, moved up the road) HMV is full of that. Expecting it to be exposed as some laundering wheeze any day now.
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: holyzombiejesus on June 23, 2022, 10:27:29 AM
HMV never seem to learn. Fopp neither. Their whole raison d'etre is selling music and video in a physical format. In an ever shrinking market you'd think that they'd realise that value would be a main driver for getting customers through the doors but instead they're probably the most expensive place you can buy vinyl. Quite what Fopp's playing at I don't know. A friend wanted the Lemonheads reissue and it was about £10 more in Fopp than Piccadilly Records. I spend at least £200 a month on records and never even browse the racks in HMV. They'll go bust again soon and there will be all the usual hand wringing and people will lose jobss and all because the owners are fucking clueless.
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: dontpaintyourteeth on June 23, 2022, 10:28:22 AM
Well I for one am shocked that the Spawn Clown action figures and Pokémon fizzy drinks they've filled their shop floors with aren't bringing in the customers
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: dontpaintyourteeth on June 23, 2022, 10:31:43 AM
Quote from: holyzombiejesus on June 23, 2022, 10:27:29 AMHMV never seem to learn. Fopp neither. Their whole raison d'etre is selling music and video in a physical format. In an ever shrinking market you'd think that they'd realise that value would be a main driver for getting customers through the doors but instead they're probably the most expensive place you can buy vinyl. Quite what Fopp's playing at I don't know. A friend wanted the Lemonheads reissue and it was about £10 more in Fopp than Piccadilly Records. I spend at least £200 a month on records and never even browse the racks in HMV. They'll go bust again soon and there will be all the usual hand wringing and people will lose jobss and all because the owners are fucking clueless.


I honestly thought they were so close to getting it when they added the vinyl racks and the "collectors editions" Blu-ray shelves, but the prices for records in particular are absurd and they're obscured behind a load of chintzy crap in most of the branches I go in.
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: the science eel on June 23, 2022, 12:42:55 PM
Quote from: Fonz on June 23, 2022, 10:20:53 AMThe really strange thing about the two HMVs near me is the large amount of weird Japanese and American sweets and fizzy pop, that are extortionately priced £3-5 for some weird pop or exotic kitkat style candy.  I've never seen anyone buy any.
Similar to the americandy money- laundering shops, perhaps?

It wouldn't surprise me. Who'd buy a £3 Kitkat? or a £15 box of Cheerios?
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: Famous Mortimer on June 23, 2022, 02:03:47 PM
Quote from: Art Bear on June 23, 2022, 10:14:40 AMLimited to a total quantity of 3000 worldwide.
What's the number of them that'll never get played and will just sit in a McCartney completist's cupboard somewhere? 2,700? 2,800?
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: Pauline Walnuts on June 23, 2022, 02:27:19 PM
(https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EfNygVsWsAAHoEJ.jpg)

Higher! Higher!
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: purlieu on June 23, 2022, 02:35:29 PM
I sometimes wonder when labels are going to start printing collectors' sleeves so they don't have to fork out to make actual vinyl albums that will never, ever get played.
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: Rich Uncle Skeleton on June 23, 2022, 02:48:25 PM
ha fair enough point, wouldn't be surprised if they started doing that in a few years.

or could even just save money on pressing and slip a few rubber LPs into a batch instead assuming they'll never actually be opened and found.
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: Starlit on June 23, 2022, 05:20:05 PM
Quote from: purlieu on April 11, 2022, 04:00:19 PMYou won't find disc rot on anything produced after the early '90s. There were only a couple of plants responsible for it.

Unfortunately it's happening again.
A range of discs from Sonopress start to rot, such as the mid 2000s Can hybrid SACDs.
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: DJ Bob Hoskins on June 23, 2022, 06:27:21 PM
Quote from: purlieu on June 23, 2022, 02:35:29 PMI sometimes wonder when labels are going to start printing collectors' sleeves so they don't have to fork out to make actual vinyl albums that will never, ever get played.

Possibly sooner than one might have thought:

https://superdeluxeedition.com/news/lorde-offers-fans-a-discless-version-of-her-new-album-solar-power/

Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: Rich Uncle Skeleton on June 23, 2022, 07:02:19 PM
Pink Floyd's recent single for Ukraine's getting a CD and 7" release. The latter's a tenner, surprisingly, figured given what it's for they'd be asking 15-20 knowing in this case it's not really a piss take.
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: kalowski on June 23, 2022, 09:01:14 PM
Quote from: DJ Bob Hoskins on June 23, 2022, 06:27:21 PMPossibly sooner than one might have thought:

https://superdeluxeedition.com/news/lorde-offers-fans-a-discless-version-of-her-new-album-solar-power/


I might buy that. She has a sexy bum created an environmentally kind, forward-thinking alternative
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: purlieu on June 23, 2022, 09:52:51 PM
Quote from: Starlit on June 23, 2022, 05:20:05 PMUnfortunately it's happening again.
A range of discs from Sonopress start to rot, such as the mid 2000s Can hybrid SACDs.
Ah, interesting, didn't know about those. Seems to mostly affect SACDs and BluRays it seems.

Quote from: DJ Bob Hoskins on June 23, 2022, 06:27:21 PMPossibly sooner than one might have thought:

https://superdeluxeedition.com/news/lorde-offers-fans-a-discless-version-of-her-new-album-solar-power/


Oh yeah, I started a thread about that at the time. The most ludicrous thing about it being that the box costs way more than your average CD. Thankfully it doesn't seem to have caught on.
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: DJ Bob Hoskins on June 24, 2022, 02:26:46 AM
Quote from: purlieu on June 23, 2022, 09:52:51 PMOh yeah, I started a thread about that at the time. The most ludicrous thing about it being that the box costs way more than your average CD. Thankfully it doesn't seem to have caught on.

I've just remembered those 'B&H packet' singles box-sets that Oasis released back in the '90s.

(https://www.ewbankauctions.co.uk/catalog_images/auction//large/nr005140-11_1.jpg)

Each box contained 4 CD EP's, plus a booklet and bonus CD of interviews. I think they cost IR£25 apiece at the time, which would have been the price of 5 CD singles. What was unusual though, is that they also made just the box + booklet + bonus disc available separately for £5.

I always thought that was quite a classy move on the part of the monobrowed Mancs given that they could have just as easily rinsed the fans who wanted the box sets but had already shelled out for the individual CDs.
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: purlieu on June 24, 2022, 04:23:42 PM
Yeah, that's a very unusual move. Wouldn't happen nowadays, given just how much money labels seem to make from boxsets. I'm partial to a super deluxe edition myself, but do really dislike it when there's usually a fairly small amount of music that's exclusive to the box, especially when the box is limited edition. Very often this exclusive material isn't even available digitally, meaning - for example - literally the only legal way to get the remastered version of The Divine Comedy's long, long out of print Fanfare for the Comic Muse, related b-sides and outtakes is by forking out for a 24 disc boxset.

There's so much wrong with boxsets, though. I recently spotted an import version of The Beatles' Let It Be box that has the album, outtakes and Glyn Johns mix - everything other than the Let It Be EP of four alternate mixes - fit onto two CDs, packaged in a digipak. Ok, so it's missing four tracks and the 5.1 mixes, but it gives an idea of how the whole thing being a six disc boxset is a total waste of resources. Similarly, the Pink Floyd rarities boxes and booksets and often advertised as having a huge number of discs, despite all the BluRays being duplicated as DVDs. I can't help thinking anyone interested in forking out £300 for a boxset is the sort of person who will almost certainly have a BluRay player. A huge waste of plastic and ridiculous price increase in the process.
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: DJ Bob Hoskins on June 25, 2022, 01:30:39 AM
Oasis also deserve credit for releasing their CD singles on just one disc, each with the A-side and 3 B-sides. This was at the time when most of the popular bands (e.g. Blur, Pulp, Manics, Radiohead, U2, R.E.M. etc. etc.) released their singles as 2 seperately-sold CDs, usually with only 2 B-sides each, so you'd have to buy the A-side twice if you wanted all the B-sides. Always thought that was a total scam and I refused to buy into it.

I recall that at some point in the late '90s the BPI changed the rules in the UK to the effect that CD singles with more than 3 tracks became classed as EP's, and therefore no longer eligible for the singles chart. From that point on, even the Oasis CD singles were released with only 3 tracks instead of the customary 4.



I'm with you on the box set stuff in general. Typically I have only ever bought sets which get you the artist's entire back catalogue for less than it would cost to buy the individual releases (preferably with some nice artwork/packaging and some bonus material too). The Velvet Underground Peel Slowly & See and Joy Division Heart & Soul sets are good examples.

On a side note: Ever since Radiohead released In Rainbows in 2007, it has become customary for journalists to mention how pioneering the band's 'pay what you want' model was. To this day it irks me to read this, given that at the time I spent €60 on the 2LP + 2CD special edition because it was the only way to obtain the 2nd CD of extra tracks. I don't even own a turntable. Then I paid a further €120 or so for two tickets to the live tour which had been announced to coincide with the album release

So despite the 'free' album, I somehow ended up giving Radiohead more money in one week than I had to any of my favourite bands over the years up to that point. I suspect they are maybe not so much altruists as they are experts at parting me from my cash.


Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: Pauline Walnuts on June 25, 2022, 12:02:57 PM
^^

(https://preview.redd.it/up0heb492zo51.jpg?auto=webp&s=ac18fab9b14b696d8d9eb57e0f3971c5a3ac3afb)
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: purlieu on June 25, 2022, 12:33:51 PM
On the Radiohead front, who remembers last year's Kid A Mnesia double cassette for £60?
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: DJ Bob Hoskins on June 25, 2022, 02:35:39 PM
I suspect their accountant remembers it every time he/she takes a dump on the gold toilet in their Hawaiian holiday villa. If I recall correctly, the double cassette was the only format that contained all the bonus tracks.

On the plus side, they did create the excellent Radiohead Public Library (https://www.radiohead.com/library/) where you can access everything they've ever released for free and in high quality, including digital copies of the all extra bits and bobs of artwork etc which came with the crazy-expensive special editions. Although it's a bit late for me considering I bought most of 'em already :(
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: DJ Bob Hoskins on June 25, 2022, 05:33:18 PM
Quote from: Pauline Walnuts on June 25, 2022, 12:02:57 PM^^

(https://preview.redd.it/up0heb492zo51.jpg?auto=webp&s=ac18fab9b14b696d8d9eb57e0f3971c5a3ac3afb)

(https://c.tenor.com/yetTPPrcHCIAAAAM/sad-priest.gif)
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: Rich Uncle Skeleton on June 25, 2022, 07:16:28 PM
Quote from: purlieu on June 25, 2022, 12:33:51 PMOn the Radiohead front, who remembers last year's Kid A Mnesia double cassette for £60?

Ha , took so long for them to shift all of those copies, hope that was a lesson to them. Love both those albums to bits but sixty quid for two cassettes, the newly put together 3rd thing and incomplete b-sides? Fuck right off.

Noticed ads for the merchandise popping up again on Facebook...looks like they're quite keen to get shot of all those tea sets and bed linen etc. but not lower the price...all moaning aside I got two very nice prints of the front and back covers of Kid A from that side. Still need to frame them.

If anyone was tempted by the hardback Kid Amnesia book but put off by the price, i think amazon might still be doing it for a tenner.
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: holyzombiejesus on July 07, 2022, 08:57:25 PM
(https://www.piccadillyrecords.com/imgrec/slm2-145111.jpg)

R.E.M.
Chronic Town 12" EP - 40th Anniversary Edition
£30.99
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: Sebastian Cobb on July 08, 2022, 01:37:43 AM
I wonder what the price-per-unit is on tapes and lp's at different sizes of run?

Cos when you look at record prices and then see cassette release is only a couple of quid more than a bundle of mp3's it does boggle my mind given there's loads of shit that needs to be made to assemble a tape and then they have to record them all, sure they have industrial duplicators that do lots of them at once and at high-speed, but it's way more faff per unit than slamming two plates together between some plastic.
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: dontpaintyourteeth on July 08, 2022, 08:53:04 AM
Quote from: holyzombiejesus on July 07, 2022, 08:57:25 PM(https://www.piccadillyrecords.com/imgrec/slm2-145111.jpg)

R.E.M.
Chronic Town 12" EP - 40th Anniversary Edition
£30.99

love love love this record but yeah, absolutely not
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: buzby on July 08, 2022, 11:57:23 AM
Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 08, 2022, 01:37:43 AMI wonder what the price-per-unit is on tapes and lp's at different sizes of run?

Cos when you look at record prices and then see cassette release is only a couple of quid more than a bundle of mp3's it does boggle my mind given there's loads of shit that needs to be made to assemble a tape and then they have to record them all, sure they have industrial duplicators that do lots of them at once and at high-speed, but it's way more faff per unit than slamming two plates together between some plastic.

For mass run tape duplication they don't use duplicators, they use automated tape manufacturing machines that use large reels of tape and automatically splice them into empty shells (called C0s - a shell that only contains the reels and a short length of leader).
(https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/de/Ba-avk-slavich-2001-tapematic.jpg/800px-Ba-avk-slavich-2001-tapematic.jpg)

As for costs, For a single disc 8-track 180g LP with colour labels, colour inner sleeve and outer sleeve you are looking at about £3700 for 500 which includes vinyl mastering, laquer cutting and stamper production. For 1000 it's about £5400 and for 2000 it's about £8800

For 500 cassettes with full colour inlay and labels it about £1300.
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: DJ Bob Hoskins on July 08, 2022, 11:57:54 AM
What the fuck have they done to the cover art?

(https://superdeluxeedition.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/chronic_town.jpg)

I know many R.E.M. fans are getting on a bit in years but it's a bit soon to be rolling out Large-print editions of the record sleeves. The original was perfect.

(https://i.discogs.com/udiSfDbea1BqZ8iHY_Xi-aE2aFQG66Uxl6VCjX-W3wQ/rs:fit/g:sm/q:90/h:600/w:597/czM6Ly9kaXNjb2dz/LWRhdGFiYXNlLWlt/YWdlcy9SLTEyOTIx/MTYtMTU1MjgyOTIx/MS0xNzkyLmpwZWc.jpeg)
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: Sebastian Cobb on July 08, 2022, 11:58:27 AM
Cheers Buzby!
Title: Re: Rip-offs
Post by: Greg Torso on July 09, 2022, 07:29:46 AM
Just found out a couple of Shizuka albums were posthumously released last year. Cool! Oh, vinyl only ~  no digital release. Sold out everywhere. One copy on discogs for £200. What's the fucking point you engineers of misery.

I hate Discogs!!! *shakes ailing fist at £150 copy of a record I bought for £5 in 1994*