Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:04:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tim Heidecker and Gregg Turkingtons On Cinema podcast

Started by RickyGerbail, November 26, 2011, 11:46:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Retinend

thanks for letting me know about this. I will now listen to them on the way to work (all of them so far, judging by their length).

Little Hoover

I've heard of them, but not listened, what is it exactly? Fairly straightforward discussions about films?

RickyGerbail

Quote from: Little Hoover on November 26, 2011, 06:07:27 PM
I've heard of them, but not listened, what is it exactly? Fairly straightforward discussions about films?

it's basically a parody on amateurish podcasts.

Petey Pate

It's too good of a parody, in that it becomes the subject of its target. Its not all that funny because there's not much too it other than them managing to come across as being awkwardly uninformative.

RickyGerbail

I think there's more things going on in it than that, my favourite part is the role that Turkington plays, he's kind of a confident alpha nerd that i've heard on shitty podcasts but also met in real life. Tim plays more of an insecure nerd and he's constantly embarrased by Turkington but also angry that he's being upstaged. I guess one has to find a line like "Hey it's always fun to be a part of the on cinema family" funny to really enjoy this though.

Gregg Turkington will be better known as Neil Hamburger by most of this board.

Retinend

RickyGerbail

It's clear to me that you're all jealous of Mr Heideckers success.

Ta. I love Neil Hamburger, so will surely check this out.

wheatgod

Didn't realise it was Neil Hamburger's alter ego.

Enjoy the podcast very much!

kitsofan34

Heidecker's temporarily stopped doing the On Cinema podcast and is instead doing a video version on Adult Swim's new website, Thing X. Thought the first episode was rather good too:

http://www.thingx.tv/videos/on-cinema/the-man-with-the-iron-fists.html

Petey Pate

I can't get that link to work, but I'm a recent convert to the On Cinema podcast.  At first I thought "yeah, its intentionally crappy, whatever" but overtime it becomes more about Tim's jealousy of Greg's confidence and knowledge (which is still hilariously banal), and his hijacking the show by expressing ridiculous right wing views.  I was in stitches at the episode where Tim lets Greg host and acts like a complete dick to him (Top 5 Bond - which are all the commonly regarded worst Bond films).

Depressed Beyond Tables

Quote from: kitsofan34 on November 04, 2012, 12:55:07 PM
Heidecker's temporarily stopped doing the On Cinema podcast and is instead doing a video version on Adult Swim's new website, Thing X. Thought the first episode was rather good too:

http://www.thingx.tv/videos/on-cinema/the-man-with-the-iron-fists.html

That was brilliant. I could listen to them talk rubbish all evening. GT was especially excellent.

RickyGerbail

I've heard Gregg Turkington say "hey guys" about 50 times and it cracks me up every time. These filmed ones have been nice for me.

Petey Pate

How is it that they make intentional amateurishness/awkwardness so funny?  Its a well mined area in comedy, yet their approach still seems fresh.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Quote from: Petey Pate on November 14, 2012, 11:13:52 AM
How is it that they make intentional amateurishness/awkwardness so funny?  Its a well mined area in comedy, yet their approach still seems fresh.

I get the sense they're both trying to make the other one corpse rather than being funny solely for anyone viewing. GT making relatively bland observations with a murderous look on his face is sublime at times.

hedgehog90

Last night Tim Heidecker and Gregg Turkington (film buff) aired their first ANNUAL LIVE ON CINEMA SCARS SHOW.

I just found it on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHf6QX93O_g

4 HOURS OF ON CINEMA!!!

I just had a quick scan and it's got a very Tim And Eric Nite Live vibe to it, so I can't wait to watch it.
It looks like they've got plenty of white wine (but no shrimp sadly)

I have to admit that recently I've started to go off Tim Heidecker and that horrible persona that he so often puts out there (ala Ricky Gervais), but I never tire of him on On Cinema
I think it's because in On Cinema it's so clearly a character, while the way he is on stage, Twitter and in interviews really straddles the line between actual mental breakdown and 'lol hilarious, I'm doing the 'I'm a twat but not really thing'', and more often than not, I just can't see the comedy in it.

The episodes of OnCinema running up to the election are so fucking good though. There was a lot of people doing the right wing character on CBB and Twitter at the time, but Heidecker's was the best.
I think I might listen to them again. I hope they are as good as i remember them.

Retinend

I disagree that he straddles the line with that persona (though I don't know which tweets you mean). In interviews where he and eric drop any persona whatsoever they act completely differently. The Marc Maron interview is a good example with him by himself acting just like himself.

hedgehog90

True. By interviews I'm thinking more the junkets for T&EB$M.
The first few I watched were funny, then it got quite annoying.

hedgehog90

I've just watched the first hour, and it's........ fan-FUCKING-tastic!!!

Some bits made me laugh so hard. The cut aways are sooooo good. When they talk about The Hobbit they cut to a still of a hobbit-dressed Martin Freeman and it is fucking... exquisite. It's hard not to burst out laughing just at the sight of it.
And Tim is on top form. he's squeezed into his

At 40 minutes they get the giggles and they stop the stream for about 20 minutes.

I only planned to watch an hour of it, but I think I'll watch the second before I get back to work :)

This is great!!!

I'm an hour and 30 mins in and I'm already going to give it 5 bags of popcorn and 2 sodas.
Very funny.

Loved it when they both started trying to keep it together at the 40 minute mark.

hedgehog90

I stopped at the 2 hour mark.
When I wrote the last post I was unaware that for more than half of it they're taking a break, which is a shame.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Quote from: hedgehog90 on February 25, 2013, 11:28:10 AM
Last night Tim Heidecker and Gregg Turkington (film buff) aired their first ANNUAL LIVE ON CINEMA SCARS SHOW.

I just found it on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHf6QX93O_g

4 HOURS OF ON CINEMA!!!

God god thanks for that!

kitsofan34

Just watched the first 40 minutes. Absolutely fantastic, Heidecker is fantastic. There's something so enjoyable to me about corpsing, so this and the likes of Nite Live are perfect.

I was almost crying with laughter with those constant shots of Billy Crystal and one of the hobbits. Turkington is ridiciously good at keeping a straight face.

hedgehog90

The entire thing is a joy from start to finish. It's masterful!
I'm not sure I've laughed so powerfully to a TV show/podcast/whatever this is - in my life. My ribs actually ache from laughing so much.
You could tell they had the same editor (Douggpound?) from Nite Live, the timing of some of those cut aways are soooo good.
There's so much to appreciate about this. I don't want to spoil anything so I can't go into any detail, but.... Greg's face.... oh my god. When Tim really gets into it, and you see Greg's face, words cannot describe how funny it is. I'm giggling to myself just thinking about it.

I advise every Tim & Eric / Eric Andre / Greg Turkington fan to watch this. And if you're neither of these, watch it anyway. You will fucking HOWL with laughter.

Noodle Lizard

That was great, yeah (or the hour and a half I've seen so far is, anyway).  I really wish I could like Tim more, but that Tim & Eric movie was the most abysmally poor comedy flick I've attempted to sit through.  I saw him live and wasn't even sure whether or not it was for real, but after some assurance from yous folks, it was funny in hindsight.

Help me like him more.  Give me more stuff.

Garam

Watched the first 40 minutes so far and it had me crying with laughter for a good 15 minutes. It has the feel of classic era Shooting Stars about it, just a constant wave of hilarity. Gregg Turkington's stealing the show for me so far.

hedgehog90

Edited down version without breaks, and with the end included (on the 4 hr Youtube video it screws up at the last 15 - 20 minutes duration):

http://www.thingx.tv/videos/on-cinema/the-first-annual-live-on-cinema-oscars-show.html

Apparently only amounts to 109 minutes! It felt longer, but in a good way :)