Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:36:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ricky Gervais: SuperNature

Started by Blue Jam, July 29, 2018, 02:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cold Meat Platter

A lot of the debates they have with creationists etc. are just pointless. In a formal setting it only serves to legitimise nonsense by responding to it.

Mr Faineant

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on July 13, 2019, 11:41:23 PM
A lot of the debates they have with creationists etc. are just pointless. In a formal setting it only serves to legitimise nonsense by responding to it.

I agree. Do they still do those? I've not seen one for years.

Cold Meat Platter

I don't think so, was always embarrassing stuff from both sides though. Folk like Harris now prefer to have a podcast as their little supposed fact pump with no dissenting voices.

Tried to listen to this on the way into work as I'm genuinely intrigued as to whatever that maniac Gervais gets up to these days, but got fifteen minutes in and fuck me it's boring.

The creator of Derek and After Life whinging about how there's no room for subtlety and nuance anymore did give me a chuckle though.

Mr Faineant

Finally got around to listening. No surprises, same old twoddle. Awkward every time he tells Sam something funny he once said.

People, in general, seem to really like him don't they? They think he is funny highly intelligent, and a legitimate comedian. Unusual.

Blue Jam

OH FUCK OFF

Get your tickets here- only £38.50:

https://troxy.co.uk/event/richard-dawkins-and-ricky-gervais-in-conversation/

QuotePrepare for an unforgettable evening of irreverence and inspiration as one of the most influential and controversial comedians of our time, Ricky Gervais, joins one of the world's foremost scientists, Richard Dawkins, for an unscripted conversation in which everything is on the table and nothing is sacred. Both proud and outspoken atheists, renowned for their sharp wits and keen intellects, Gervais and Dawkins will cover a wide range of topics as only they can, all with the help of the evening's host, psychologist and author Richard Wiseman.

I'm an atheist and I would honestly rather go to church than go to this.

Ferris

Quote from: Blue Jam on July 16, 2019, 11:39:03 PM
OH FUCK OFF

If I cringed any louder, I'd wake up Ferris Jr upstairs.

Embarrassing. State of it.

lankyguy95

If it hadn't been for the fact that I saw that the other day, I'd have thought it was a fake.

Blue Jam

I had to check out the Centre for Inquiry site just to convince myself it was a real ad for a real event...

Mobius

It's incredible that the novelty of being an atheist has never worn off for Ricky. He's the 17 year old philosophy student he used to take the piss out of in his standup.

So unbelievably tedious. To this day I cannot believe how some seemingly normal people with a brain have praised After Life / Derek as anything other than absolute shite.

I wonder if he still bullies all his mates or if that's only his non-famous mates.

Blue Jam

I was a militant atheist once, and then I grew up... I also drifted away from the whole Skeptic movement, but to be fair that started out as a great bunch of lads doing good work before the obnoxious Reddit arseholes and I Fucking Love Science twats got on board.

That event has almost sold out, and everyone who bought a ticket wants graving, and then for Hell to actually exist so they can end up there being tortured for all of eternity by the feeling of their own deflated smugness.

chveik

even the most ignorant religious person would be more interesting to listen to than those two cunts.

BritishHobo

Secular values

Love animals, hate fat people, love tolerance, hate gross disgusting people, oppose bigotry, EURGH LOOK AT THAT DISGUSTING WOBBLY MESS

Cuellar

OH FUCK OFF

Get your tickets here- only £38.50:

https://troxy.co.uk/event/richard-dawkins-and-ricky-gervais-in-conversation/

Hopefully see this in wimblewrong

Jumblegraws

Quote from: Blue Jam on July 16, 2019, 11:47:45 PM
I had to check out the Centre for Inquiry site just to convince myself it was a real ad for a real event...
I would have had to do the same were it not for your post.
Looking at the list of recipients for the award, it basically seems like the reified, atheist version of a Twitter blue tick as I'm pretty sure few on there have actually done much to advance any rationalist causes, atheism-related or otherwise.

After watching Louis Theroux's latest documentary I had a look at Meghan Phelps-Roper's Twitter feed. I don't think she's an atheist, but she does actually challenge other people on some of the finer points of religious apologia. I reckon that's more likely to advanced secular causes than Gervais's hackneyed one-liners. It's certainly more interesting to read.

OH FUCK OFF

Borderline Up the Arse corner. Not that there's much room left since they're both intent on disappearing up their own.

Blue Jam

Ricky Gervais retweeted... oh of course he fucking did:

Cuellar

Can't wait for Dawkins and Gervais to really hash it out about Venn diagrams.

shiftwork2

I now hope that there's an afterlife purely so God can tear a strip off these two prawns.

jobotic

If I don't think his hackneyed teenage punching down shit is clever and funny does that mean I don't get irony or know that jokes are reality?

I wish I was a clever man like Ricky. I can't be though, I'm not rich.

Ferris

Quote from: shiftwork2 on July 18, 2019, 06:39:52 PM
I now hope that there's an afterlife purely so God can tear a strip off these two prawns.

Genuine lol

BritishHobo

How many different ways can one post say the same thing? He should have thrown 'SJWs' and 'trigger warnings' and 'offended millenials' as well, not sure the point is quite clear enough.

Jumblegraws

Quote from: Old Gold Tooth on July 15, 2019, 01:45:58 PM
Tried to listen to this on the way into work as I'm genuinely intrigued as to whatever that maniac Gervais gets up to these days, but got fifteen minutes in and fuck me it's boring.

The creator of Derek and After Life whinging about how there's no room for subtlety and nuance anymore did give me a chuckle though.
You managed longer than I did. The only interesting thing was the way he was avoiding (and I'm positive it was active avoidance) mentioning Stephen Merchant's name, particularly when he was describing the genesis of David Brent.

Always funny listening to modern comedians whining about social impositions on what they can say, when their predecessors had actual obscenity laws to navigate.

At least one of the images on this page has to be a parody, right? Either the Dawkins tweet or the event poster has to be a massive pisstake.

Quote from: Jumblegraws on July 19, 2019, 08:46:21 AM
You managed longer than I did. The only interesting thing was the way he was avoiding (and I'm positive it was active avoidance) mentioning Stephen Merchant's name, particularly when he was describing the genesis of David Brent.

Yeah, I noticed the same. Similarly I can remember Merchant being interviewed when Life on the Road was released and the interviewer calling it "an Office film". Merch corrected them immediately and said it wasn't an Office film, it was a David Brent film.

Seems like the fallout of their partnership ending is that they created The Office together, but Gervais created/owns Brent. Which I suppose makes sense since the "character" is just Gervais taking off his black t-shirt and putting on a shirt and tie.

Spoon of Ploff

What i don't understand is why the creator of the kindest fictional character since Jesus and the author of the Selfish Gene would want to hang out together.

Chollis

That poster genuinely just looks like a wimblewrong entry

græskar

I would absolutely rather listen to a priest for twice as long than to this smugfest.
I've disliked Gervais for a long time, but since hearing his shitty transphobic jokes I have nothing but contempt for him. One of the prime examples of undeserved success.

Cuellar

I'd rather listen to my infant son being tortured.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Oh, he really is avoiding any mention of Merchant there.