Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 09:59:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Richard Herring getting twitchy in lockdown: 2020

Started by MojoJojo, June 05, 2020, 02:54:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
The latest Acaster chat is a great one. I was beaming throughout, especially during the House of Games anecdote.

James seemed happier than I've seen him in a long time, which is comforting having just finished a Perfect Sound Whatever - in which he's very open about his breakdown and suicidal thoughts.

These lockdown RHLSTPs are decent. Herring's a better interviewer when he doesn't have a live audience to act up to.

Hey Kidz

I don't know if he's 'better' as a live interviewer, but it feels like it's shaken up a format that was getting really stale, although I've only watched a couple of these so far.

lankyguy95

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on July 09, 2020, 11:39:15 PM
The latest Acaster chat is a great one. I was beaming throughout, especially during the House of Games anecdote.
Yeah that bit was great. Although it slightly spoiled the illusion of Anne Diamond being a constant, perfect delight.

Quote from: Hey Kidz on July 10, 2020, 07:15:34 PM
I don't know if he's 'better' as a live interviewer, but it feels like it's shaken up a format that was getting really stale, although I've only watched a couple of these so far.

Yeah, you're right. But I think these are improved by him not constantly turning to the front row who lap up hearing the being-wanked-off-by-a-puppet anecdote for the tenth time.

olliebean

I notice he's not even bothering with the interviewees any more - he's just doing Twitch shows on his own (or on one recent occasion, with that wank puppet mentioned above).

Quote from: lankyguy95 on July 10, 2020, 07:51:55 PM
Yeah that bit was great. Although it slightly spoiled the illusion of Anne Diamond being a constant, perfect delight.

I take it with a big pinch of salt. She probably did make a joke of him winning, along the lines of
"Oi James, are you gonna give the rest of us a chance at some point?"
and I'm guessing he's twisting it a bit to make his own joke. I honestly can't imagine anyone being genuinely shitty like he described.
It is funny though, takes you into Partridge world where she loses ungraciously at squash.

non capisco

It was the image of him walking through Waterloo drunk smashing his House Of Games trophy against railings that really made me laugh. Love James Acaster to bits. Binging all the  'Off Menu' podcasts will be one of the more pleasurable retrospective memories of lockdown for me and 'Perfect Sound Whatever' is an ace book that I would heartily recommend to any CaB Oscillations regular. He writes extremely well about being a music obsessive and the enthusiastic spiels about all those albums make you want to immediately experience them and work as a great counterpoint to the candid tales of his year from hell.

Yeah, Perfect Sound Whatever is a fantastic book. Though god knows what you'd think of it if you just like the quirky one off Mock the Week and have no interest in alternative music.

Natnar

He's putting the Ally & Herring twitches up on his youtube channel now. It is just me or does Richard just look like a bearded Caroline Quentin these days?

Spudgun

Quote from: Natnar on July 17, 2020, 11:08:29 AM
He's putting the Ally & Herring twitches up on his youtube channel now.

Just me?

cacciaguida

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on July 11, 2020, 05:09:13 PM
Yeah, Perfect Sound Whatever is a fantastic book. Though god knows what you'd think of it if you just like the quirky one off Mock the Week and have no interest in alternative music.

Better as audiobook or traditional?

Quote from: cacciaguida on July 19, 2020, 12:07:24 AM
Better as audiobook or traditional?

Well I've only read it, but Acaster himself says the book works better than the audiobook for this one.

Small Man Big Horse

Just watching a live episode of his Stone Clearing podcast, and heard that he's trying to raise £20,000 for more episodes on kickstarter. Now I've only watched about 10 minutes so far, but it seems to be an old bloke picking up stones and moaning about how shit his life is, is that always what it is? I mean, surely there's more to it than that, right? And either way, how can he be asking twenty grand for footage of him fucking about in a field?

olliebean

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 22, 2020, 02:35:13 PM
Just watching a live episode of his Stone Clearing podcast, and heard that he's trying to raise £20,000 for more episodes on kickstarter. Now I've only watched about 10 minutes so far, but it seems to be an old bloke picking up stones and moaning about how shit his life is, is that always what it is? I mean, surely there's more to it than that, right? And either way, how can he be asking twenty grand for footage of him fucking about in a field?

I've never watched it, precisely because knowing what I know about Herring I assumed that was exactly what it was.

Sebastian Cobb

If it's anything like his RHLSTP, he seems to get bilked on production (e.g. 3 camera operators and a director).

I guess that's a difference between him and someone like Limmy... they're both 'self-releasing' but Limmy is actually doing all the production, whereas Herring is outsourcing most of it I think. The production of his RHLSTP is handled by a producer so presumably he's paying for time on all the editing etc, so the costs will mount up.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 22, 2020, 02:35:13 PM
And either way, how can he be asking twenty grand for footage of him fucking about in a field?

Because he's been able to make a living from low-effort content and knows he has a fan base that will pay for it?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on August 22, 2020, 03:03:14 PM
Because he's been able to make a living from low-effort content and knows he has a fan base that will pay for it?

He'll probably spaff half of it on other pointless vanity projects like self-released books.

olliebean

I reckon the producer, editor etc. are his mates and he's doing it to funnel Kickstarter funds into their pockets, like the government does with public funds.

Cold Meat Platter

All the music for every project he has done is absolute fucking shit. Embarrassingly bad. The As It Occurs to Me theme a particular standout, really makes me want to kill someone and not in a good way. He seems to have no feel for this sort of thing at all.

He has joked about his stone clearing and snooker bollocks being "performance art", akin to something like one of those modern artists they have now would do but they don't work as either performance art or a satire of it.

Radical idea: why doesn't he spend a long time writing something really good and making that rather than spunking all this "content" about the place? Something that can stand on its own without pleas for cash or excuses that he's tired and hasn't had time to write anything properly?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 22, 2020, 03:00:29 PM
If it's anything like his RHLSTP, he seems to get bilked on production (e.g. 3 camera operators and a director).

I guess that's a difference between him and someone like Limmy... they're both 'self-releasing' but Limmy is actually doing all the production, whereas Herring is outsourcing most of it I think. The production of his RHLSTP is handled by a producer so presumably he's paying for time on all the editing etc, so the costs will mount up.

This appears to be just him filming himself walking about though, maybe he hires an editor for the proper podcasts but otherwise I can't imagine how anyone else could be involved.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: olliebean on August 22, 2020, 03:07:19 PM
I reckon the producer, editor etc. are his mates and he's doing it to funnel Kickstarter funds into their pockets, like the government does with public funds.

almost certainly

Sin Agog

CaB'ers in their burnished ivory towers don't realise that it costs money to buy and cook the food to extract the kilojoules to fuel the lifting and throwing of stones out of that field.  £25 a pebble sounds about right.

Annie Labuntur

I'd like one of his live stone-clearing Twitches to have Stew heckling him from behind trees and bushes.

Hand Solo

Isn't he a bigtime Landlord?

Please fund my self-indulgent projects, fans, ooh I'm Morris Mitchener and I'm scared of self-finance.

Pranet

Dunno where the idea he is a landlord came from.

When his house in London was having work done on it he rented for a while and he seemed ignorant of what that entails to an extent I don't think he would be if he was an actual landlord.

Sin Agog

He wrote a bunch of episodes for Al the Pub Landlord, which is pretty much the same thing.

kitsofan34

It's already up to 10,000 with over 200 backers. Fucking mental.

Pranet

You will all be pleased to hear that if this goes well he plans to do another kickstarter based on Me1vMe2 snooker.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: kitsofan34 on August 22, 2020, 04:17:29 PM
It's already up to 10,000 with over 200 backers. Fucking mental.

That's 50 quid a head! Now I doubt everyone's chipping in that, which means some people are chipping in way more. Baffling.

Explains why he doesn't try harder though. He doesn't need to.

Hand Solo

Quote from: Pranet on August 22, 2020, 03:58:03 PM
Dunno where the idea he is a landlord came from.

I've definitely heard it floated around before, and as has been said, it's difficult to google it to confirm because of his association with Al Murray. But it just makes sense anybody who makes a bit of quick money invariably move into property investment.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 22, 2020, 04:42:18 PM
That's 50 quid a head! Now I doubt everyone's chipping in that, which means some people are chipping in way more. Baffling.

Check out the big brain on Cobb!