Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:32:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Campaign for Common Sense Report: Not enough Right-Wing Comedians on the Beeb

Started by Consignia, December 13, 2020, 01:36:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Consignia

Just seen this rather laughable report produced by this campaign group which likely just a couple of angry blokes looking to get on Question Time and in on the Right Wing grift.

You can read the report here: https://campaigncommonsense.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/CCS-A-Barrel-of-Laughs-FINAL-PUBLIC.pdf But it's only really a couple of paragraphs in it's actual body, the rest of it padded out with boilerplate and an appendix of the director's YouTube bookmarks. Its methodology is balls, and the findings:

There were 364 slots filled by 141 different comedians.
- 268 of the slots – 74%- were taken by comedians with publicly pronounced leftleaning, or anti-Brexit , or "woke" persuasions.
- 99 of the comedians booked – 70%- were of these persuasions.
- Only 4 slots (1.1%) were given to the 2 comedians in this list who are explicitly conservative, pro-Brexit or anti-"woke".

The author of the report used to be maths teacher, so that's presumably why he's bolded the numbers.

It's all a bit bollocks really isn't it? It's not like there are tons of proper left wing comedians either, the majority of them being centerist dads. The campaign for common sense apparently overlooked this, and will presumably need to re-issue the report and address this lack of left wing balance.

vainsharpdad

I'm sure we've had this conversation before - but isn't the reason that there are so few right-wing comedians because punching up can be funny, whereas punching down is inevitably bullying?

Unless we go back to men in bow ties telling jokes about Mother-In-Laws, Darkies, Blondes and Poofs I'm not sure what right-wing humour even looks like.

Still, Geoff Norcott is well positioned to understand the laws of supply and demand.

Fambo Number Mive

Does the report's author not realise that Andrew Doyle plays the character Titania McGrath? The report has them listed as two different options for "Alternative Comedians that could be booked".

Since it only lists fifteen comedians under that list, the claim that 26% of the slots weren't taken by "comedians with publicly pronounced leftleaning, or anti-Brexit , or "woke" persuasions" doesn't seem that bad.

I'd also like to know how the report would define "woke" and what material they'd call not "woke". Lehain also writers "A(s) long as those chosen are funny, it maybe doesn't matter". Well surely you should be able to argue whether it does matter or not, given that it is surely very relevant to the advice given in your report.

I wonder if the CCS will publish a report on the lack of left wing panellists on Question Time.

Non Stop Dancer

Being right wing is just such a ludicrous position to take isn't it. I mean fucking hell it seems so obvious that they're the baddies.

Pink Gregory

Consignia

And it is not like there aren't talented comics out there who hold small-c conservative, anti-"woke", or pro-Brexit views. There are loads - for instance, those who perform at the sellout Comedy Unleashed nights every month. The issue is that they just aren't getting booked.

Christ, this report is so badly written. It's done it job, though. It's got column inches in the anger tabloids.

Quote from: Pink Gregory on December 13, 2020, 03:41:32 PM
Is Mary Bourke considered 'un-woke'?

She's appeared at Comedy Unleashed (Andrew Doyle's comedy night - "the home of free-thinking comedy". Alongside Alun Cochrane and Tony Law who both seem to have drifted to the right.

up_the_hampipe

Being "woke" is being aware. So, right wingers are proudly claiming they lack awareness. That might be part of why they're not represented well in comedy.

Fambo Number Mive

Just looking at the Comedy Unleashed website. Apparently they had  Alun Cochrane, Mary Bourke, Tony Law and Nick Dixon performing on December 7th, 8th and 9th, hosted by Ria Lina.

Gurke and Hare

After his Edinburgh show last year it wouldn't surprise me at all to find our Cochrane is a COVID denier.

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on December 13, 2020, 05:33:09 PM
After his Edinburgh show last year it wouldn't surprise me at all to find our Cochrane is a COVID denier.

I saw him just before that Edinburgh at a parent-and-baby comedy club where your audience of exhausted mums (I went three times and was the only adult male there) just want to laugh at some observations and mucky stories.

Alun did 20 minutes on why he should be allowed to be critical of Islam if he wants to because we're all adults and should be able to have a grown-up debate and all shake hands afterwards. It was shit and weird.

Tony Law's Twitter activity has been dodgy for a while now. Have a look at his likes and you'll find transphobes, "BLM have set racial equality back 25 years" types and #DefundTheBBC-ers. Fuck him.

j_u_d_a_s

Every time this topic comes up, the same names keep appearing in lists of "anti-woke" comedians and they're all bang average at best. Leo Kearse has rarely scored higher than 3 stars in reviews, Andrew Lawrence has become the angry pub loner since his FB meltdown and Doyle was almost exceptional in his non-exceptionalness before he got lucky with Jonathan Pie and took the Koch brothers dollar.

I'm reminded of Dapper Laughs' brief moment when he was a cause celebre of the right. The quality of his material was secondary to his usefulness as a pawn in the culture wars. But even that amount of publicity and big online following wasn't enough to sustain the career of Daniel O'Reilly because he was incapable of anything more than crowd pleasing. There was no point of view behind Dapper Laughs' eyes, just the wannabe alpha at the bar hungry for the validation of whatever crowd he's surrounded himself with. The least I can say about the above pack is that they're all united in their belief that they're the real victims in society because it stops them from having to face their own mediocrity.

dissolute ocelot

There's nothing left wing about opposing Brexit, and some insanely right wing people support woke issues like women's rights, gay or trans rights (The Fucking Cato Institute is pro trans). If you define yourself as opposed to everyone, you won't find many people agreeing with you.

thenoise

If we let them have a few right wingers on panel shows and stand up shows, can we have a few more lefties on the news please? Or documentaries?

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

can any of these right-wing whingers even tell one joke that they'd like to hear

no seriously, what does a modern right-wing joke look like, because the only one I can think of is that crude MSPaint picture of a rainbow-haired figure with the words "AUTISTIC SCREECHING" printed on it[nb]Not actually a joke, the words are there for shock value.[/nb]

RicoMNKN

They appear to have just googled the Comedy Unleashed line-up, rather than have any understanding of either politics or comedy.

I mean, Scott Capurro's not particularly right wing, is he?  He seems more about wanting to shock, and is anti-Brexit (which they claim makes someone left wing).

RicoMNKN

Quote from: idunnosomename on December 13, 2020, 01:59:54 PM
Lmao look at this pair of roasters

https://campaigncommonsense.com/team/

Free school tory cunt

Dead on the inside.
Imagine the most interesting thing you could say about yourself was "he drinks copious quantities of coffee,runs".

KennyMonster

Stop calling liberals left wing ffs!

They're Cunts and Twats, not lefties.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: trabuch on December 14, 2020, 12:11:18 AM
We've got a Tory Govt ffs. What more do these arseholes want?

Their talking points to be utterly normalised on a societal level.  But they seem to be getting there without being on the BBC.

Sonny_Jim

From the Team bio:
QuoteMost recently he was a candidate in Newcastle for the General Election where, fuelled by Greggs sausage rolls, he halved the incumbent's majority.
In his spare time, he is an ardent enthusiast of the Portuguese language
No fucking wonder they are looking for right wing comedians,  Pair of melts.

willbo

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on December 13, 2020, 11:02:43 PM
can any of these right-wing whingers even tell one joke that they'd like to hear

no seriously, what does a modern right-wing joke look like, because the only one I can think of is that crude MSPaint picture of a rainbow-haired figure with the words "AUTISTIC SCREECHING" printed on it[nb]Not actually a joke, the words are there for shock value.[/nb]

maybe that American guy who carries around that terrorist skeleton puppet? Is he still modern?

g0m

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on December 13, 2020, 11:02:43 PM

They love to say that stuff is like helicopters

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on December 14, 2020, 06:20:02 AM
From the Team bio:No fucking wonder they are looking for right wing comedians,  Pair of melts.

Just imagining a Trump-style diet of masses of sausage rolls and nothing else. Imagine what your turds would be like.

Bad Ambassador

petril

Quote from: g0m on December 14, 2020, 08:26:18 AM
They love to say that stuff is like helicopters

they should be allowed to identify as helicopters if they want. helicopters are vehicles and thus devoid of any human rights whatsoever. can probably save on the MoD budget or sell them to foreign armed forces for a few quid. be a nice state of affairs

RicoMNKN

Most recently he was a candidate in Newcastle for the General Election where, fuelled by Greggs sausage rolls, he halved the incumbent's majority.

That bit's not even true.  The Conservatives also lost votes.  The Brexit Party were responsible.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/politics/constituencies/E14000833