Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:48:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Adam Buxton Podcast Thread II: You're MAI WAIF now

Started by Phil_A, March 05, 2021, 11:37:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icehaven

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 06, 2021, 12:20:29 AM
when did they coin the "MY WIFE" thing? was it XFM? it reminds me of when people would /not so casually/ mention their girlfriends on internet message boards c. early 2000s and it became a bit of a joke. or a MEME as we'd say now. because we live in an idiot future

It was on one of the A&J 6 music podcasts from roughly around 2010/2011, Adam was talking about his wife always losing her keys or something, and how he'd told her she should always leave them in the same place, and he started the robot voice to emphasise how he'd realised how dull and practical he sounded dispensing sensible but boring advice, which had them both in hysterics.

Ferris

Quote from: icehaven on March 06, 2021, 04:21:26 PM
It was on one of the A&J 6 music podcasts from roughly around 2010/2011, Adam was talking about his wife always losing her keys or something, and how he'd told her she should always leave them in the same place, and he started the robot voice to emphasise how he'd realised how dull and practical he sounded dispensing sensible but boring advice, which had them both in hysterics.

To be fair that does sound quite funny.

Tried to find it on youtube, failed, found this instead and it made me chuckle (Buckles' voice work more than the mid 00s cartooning) so here it is:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-2tejgZSNZU

Retinend

Quote from: popcorn on March 06, 2021, 03:44:37 PM
Your work was appreciated! Do you know why some episodes still had music in them, and some of them seemed to cut out in different ways (like some faded in/out, some just sliced out, etc)? Not bashing, just genuinely curious, I got the feeling different people had done them. I imagined a team of coordinated nerds serving the community.

Mine were the crash-bang ones. In my defence I was emulating the way the Xfm ones were made - and also keeping to a small file size in their tradition. The job was much better done after I stepped down from the role after a year or so.

Pranet

Thanks from me as well, I must have downloaded your work many times. It was my preferred way to listen to the show.

ProvanFan

Quote from: Mobbd on March 06, 2021, 12:22:06 PM
I do love the time machine capabilities of podcasts. I have lots of memories of where I was when I first listened to a particular pod. It really is evocative, isn't it?

On the journey from my hostel to a chocolate museum in Barcelona in 2013 I listened to Tom Green chatting to the son from Married with Children about their attempts at a career in rap music. Fuck knows why I decided to go to a chocolate museum while in Barcelona. It was closed when I got there. But I like to think if I ever went back Tom and Bud would be waiting for me and the three of us would go round the exhibits in matching outfits spitting bars of Catalan-Canuck cocoa fire.

Mobbd

Quote from: Drygate on March 05, 2021, 05:50:57 PM
Sits in his massive shed/barn messing about on his gear?

I wonder how much he had to pay Torvill and Dean? Or does he just do a flat fee?

I do not believe he pays guests. If anything, they would pay him since they're often on a promotional junket to sell a book or similar. T&D approached Adam so I doubt money was involved at all in their case.

ProvanFan

(I omitted David Faustino's nationality there along with my own for alliterative purposes)

JamesTC

Quote from: Retinend on March 06, 2021, 03:11:16 PM
While we are being nostalgic, I was the person on the "speeding on the needlebliss" blog site recording and editing the 6Music episodes to remove the music. It seems to have disappeared from the internet.

Thanks so much for your work. Still got all the edited shows downloaded today.

I'm pretty sure those edited Adam and Joe shows were the first "podcast" I ever listened to.

popcorn

Listening to the XFN shows now. Wow, quite a different vibe. They're a lot more mean-spirited, especially Joe, who is openly contemptuous of some of the music they play and the films he's seen (makes me feel better about trashing The Kid Who Would Be King on here, sorry Joe), and sometimes repeatedly interrupts Adam (for a wheeze) to the point that it's a bit disruptive. I suppose they might just have grown up a bit after that but I assume they were kept on a shorter leash at the Big British Castle. Also interesting to hear the call-ins, as their audience seems to have been a lot more working class on XFN than it was on 6Music, and maybe it's just me but you can sense a bit of a culture clash.

Drygate

Quote from: Mobbd on March 06, 2021, 05:33:06 PM
I do not believe he pays guests. If anything, they would pay him since they're often on a promotional junket to sell a book or similar. T&D approached Adam so I doubt money was involved at all in their case.

That's interesting.

I guess if they're promoting something then they don't need paying but surely he pays other guests as he must make a good amount from each episode.

Seems a bit unfair otherwise?

Icehaven

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on March 06, 2021, 04:37:25 PM
To be fair that does sound quite funny.

Tried to find it on youtube, failed,

It was! As others have said about podcasts being incredibly nostalgic, I can remember the exact shop I was walking past on my way home from work during that bit, and I was giggling like a prat too. Listening to the two of them cracking up together is still one of my favourite things.
Doesn't narrow it down much I'm afraid but the episode is on BBC Sounds (that's where I got it from recently) Adam also references it in one of his podcasts from about 2018ish.

Phil_A

Quote from: icehaven on March 06, 2021, 04:21:26 PM

It's from Adam's 2015 Xmas Pod with Joe - https://soundcloud.com/adam-buxton/ep-12-adam-joes-christmas#t=1:05:47

non capisco

Quote from: icehaven on March 06, 2021, 08:01:35 PM
It was! As others have said about podcasts being incredibly nostalgic, I can remember the exact shop I was walking past on my way home from work during that bit, and I was giggling like a prat too.

The second installment of the Points Of View 'Blah Boobidy Bayah' saga = on a bus from Brixton to Kennington

Icehaven

Quote from: non capisco on March 06, 2021, 09:25:10 PM
The second installment of the Points Of View 'Blah Boobidy Bayah' saga = on a bus from Brixton to Kennington

Aww I remember where I was when I heard the Blah Boobidy bit too, by a block of flats in Cape Hill! I was crying. It's weird isn't it.

non capisco

I vivdly remember crying laughing at the escalation of that bit just as the bus got to Kennington Park. "What did we boobidy do to yoooou?" There's something kind of delicious about trying to contain yourself laughing at audio comedy content in public, I think it's a flashback to trying not to laugh when your mate's dicking about in school assemblies or something.

Ferris

Quote from: icehaven on March 06, 2021, 08:01:35 PM
It was! As others have said about podcasts being incredibly nostalgic, I can remember the exact shop I was walking past on my way home from work during that bit, and I was giggling like a prat too. Listening to the two of them cracking up together is still one of my favourite things.
Doesn't narrow it down much I'm afraid but the episode is on BBC Sounds (that's where I got it from recently) Adam also references it in one of his podcasts from about 2018ish.

Quote from: Phil_A on March 06, 2021, 09:16:23 PM
It's from Adam's 2015 Xmas Pod with Joe - https://soundcloud.com/adam-buxton/ep-12-adam-joes-christmas#t=1:05:47

Amazing, thanks both!

Quote from: non capisco on March 06, 2021, 09:25:10 PM

The big Asda in Hulme for me. The greeting cards aisle.

thenoise

QuoteThe Adam & Edith era was a bit odd. Never felt they quite meshed together and after the initial run of episodes Adam was gone and it was relaunched as an Edith solo show (which I never bothered listening to tbh).

I think the "A&E" jingle was one of his best, however.

"I was feeling so depressed
I tried to hide away"

He knows his audience doesn't he?

Icehaven

I only listened to two of the Adam and Edith ones, couldn't get into it at all.

Pranet

There were high points. To continue the theme, I remember being in Swindon library unable to stop myself laughing out loud at Adam's reaction to Kate Winslet's husband changing his name to Ted Rockandroll.

Sean Ymphs

The Adam and Edith shows were also where Adam started reading the bad kids jokes, if I remember correctly.

There were also the two shows that Adam guest-hosted on Radio 2 with Liza Tarbuck. The first one went quite well I seem to remember. The second one had the Paul Weller interview...

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: Sean Ymphs on March 07, 2021, 09:43:55 PM
There were also the two shows that Adam guest-hosted on Radio 2 with Liza Tarbuck. The first one went quite well I seem to remember. The second one had the Paul Weller interview...

If anyone has a link to that Weller interview I'd greatly appreciate it; over my years of following Buxton's every move it's taken on an almost mythological status.

TommyTurnips

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on March 08, 2021, 12:33:26 AM
If anyone has a link to that Weller interview I'd greatly appreciate it; over my years of following Buxton's every move it's taken on an almost mythological status.

That would be amazing! I'd love to hear that.

Another bit I would love to hear is the bit from their Glastonbury coverage with Rolf Harris. Adam talked about it on an early Richard Herring podcast. Him and Joe were ordered to interview Rolf Harris. So they did an awkward interview and got him to do a painting while he made his strange panting noises that he does. Rolf leaves and Joe says "there goes Rolf Harris. He seems a bit autistic doesn't he?". It turned out that Rolf was listening on a monitor on the other side of the grounds and demanded an apology or else he would never do anymore work for the BBC. To hear the raw footage from that would be a joy.

bobloblaw

Quote from: Pranet on March 07, 2021, 07:58:51 PM
There were high points. To continue the theme, I remember being in Swindon library unable to stop myself laughing out loud at Adam's reaction to Kate Winslet's husband changing his name to Ted Rockandroll.

On an enforced walk to work due to a tube strike, I remember convulsing in the street listening to their hysterics as they ripped Nicholas Cage's Irish accent in National Treasure to pieces. I still can't hear the word 'whiskey' in any other voice

frajer

Quote from: bobloblaw on March 08, 2021, 12:24:34 PM
On an enforced walk to work due to a tube strike, I remember convulsing in the street listening to their hysterics as they ripped Nicholas Cage's Irish accent in National Treasure to pieces. I still can't hear the word 'whiskey' in any other voice

Heh! You've just reminded me of their takedown of Ray Winstone's all-over-the-map accent in Fool's Gold.

Johnboy

JamesTC

Quote from: TommyTurnips on March 08, 2021, 07:06:04 AM

Another bit I would love to hear is the bit from their Glastonbury coverage with Rolf Harris. Adam talked about it on an early Richard Herring podcast. Him and Joe were ordered to interview Rolf Harris. So they did an awkward interview and got him to do a painting while he made his strange panting noises that he does. Rolf leaves and Joe says "there goes Rolf Harris. He seems a bit autistic doesn't he?". It turned out that Rolf was listening on a monitor on the other side of the grounds and demanded an apology or else he would never do anymore work for the BBC. To hear the raw footage from that would be a joy.

I'm having a quick look.

I've checked 2009 and it isn't there. 2010 has Joe referring to Rolf Harris as a Fauvist (30 mins 26-06-2010).

And now it turns out that it wasn't on the BBC 6Music shows. It was in 2002. I'm pretty sure Joe specifically pulling out Rolf's name as a Fauvist was him getting in a silly underhand reference.

Phil_A

Quote from: TommyTurnips on March 08, 2021, 07:06:04 AM

I'd love to see this, unfortunately it seems to've fallen into the void of the pre-Freeview BBC Choice era where recordings are quite scarce. I've been hoping for years that it'll eventually surface somewhere.

idunnosomename

they definitely mentioned the Rolf incident on 6Music. because he was still a wacky national treasure then, he came up in listener comments and they were a bit ERRRM

edit just to be accurate, Rolf was arrested/convicted 2013/4, and the 6Music run was till 2011 with a 2012 revival. Harris was still appearing on telly during pretty frequently in 2012.