Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:40:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Girls5Eva - Tina Fey Produced Peacock Comedy

Started by Small Man Big Horse, July 05, 2021, 07:05:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

This debuted two months ago on SeeSo2 Peacock but I'm slightly late to the party as I've only recently gotten in to it, I think it's a lot of fun though and has a similar energy to 30 Rock / Kimmy Schmidt even though Tina Fey only produced it and it's created by Meredith Scardino (um, Kimmy Schmidt, but also At Home With Amy Sedaris). It's a very daft affair where a girl group regroups (even though one of their members is dead) for a second shot at fame, and as well as lampooning the current state of the entertainment industry it has a good few flashbacks to their time in the sun twenty odd years ago. It's got a great cast including Busy Phillips, Paula Pell, Renée Elise Goldsberry and Sara Bareilles, some extremely strong song parodies, and is something I'm very fond of four episodes in, so it pleases a lot that it will be coming back for a second season.

phantom_power

Really enjoying this. The characters are fun and it has that 20 Rock/ Kimmy Schmidt humour that mixes off-beat and emotional so well. Great gag about the word "hunty" that clever slipped through the censors in the last episode I watched as well

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: phantom_power on July 19, 2021, 11:23:30 AM
Really enjoying this. The characters are fun and it has that 20 Rock/ Kimmy Schmidt humour that mixes off-beat and emotional so well. Great gag about the word "hunty" that clever slipped through the censors in the last episode I watched as well

Glad I'm not the only one enjoying it, one day we'll convert everyone else hopefully.

I've finished it now and thought it ended strongly,
Spoiler alert
"American Warrior Singer" was a great concept, the "Friends Cast Is Paedophiles" joke came out of nowhere but made me laugh hard, they got a lot of mileage from the Ashley hologram, Lego Man was a fun song and the ending was pretty perfect,
[close]
and this might just be my favourite new show of the year.

Custard

Small Man Big Horse

Mobius

Watched the first 2 episodes of this last night and really enjoyed it. Lots of funny bits and likeable characters. Having recently watched and loved 30 Rock, definitely feeling the Tina Fey style with this.

steveh

Thought this was much funnier and tighter than the other recent Fey / Carlock project Mr Mayor. I did feel though that the characters didn't especially grow on me over the series, but I'm possibly not the prime target audience...

Counted 18 people with some variant of a producer credit, which for a half hour comedy has to be a record surely.

steveh

Back for season 2, which so far I think has been better than season 1 and adds a bit more depth to the characters. Episode 4 I thought was up there with the best of Kimmy Schmidt.

Has every Fey-produced show had an American actor doing a terrible British accent?

jofo

loved it, looking forward to a third series.

Pink Gregory

So this came to Netflix.

Enjoying it quite a lot, it's one of those American sitcoms that can be a bit too showbiz-referential for my liking, but the songs are great (loved the Paul Simon aping song about lonely single children in New York high fiving doormen and eating sushi) and the cast are extraordinary likeable.

Snrub

I think Peacock canned it after Season 2, but sounds like Season 3 is coming to Netflix so I look forward to Netflix cancelling it shortly after that.

Pink Gregory

Really enjoying this but I'm annoyed at all the celebrity jokes that I don't understand.  The thing is, they're not at all integral to the show; all the characters make similar jokes so it's not as if it's a unique trait.  You could lift them right out and lose nothing.

It's so strange because it's a fairly broad show and a lot of the comedy is physical - Busy Phillipps definitely channelling Catherine O'Hara at points - I just don't see the need for LA writers' room gags about actors.

Pink Gregory

Finiiiiished!

Loved it generally, maybe a bit inconsistent but in a way that plays to its slightly chaotic strengths.

Cast are great, maybe Sara Bareilles has to play straight man a little too much but maybe it's necessary?  Surprising turns of physical clowning from Rene Goldsberry which reliably made me howl. 

Kev looks alarmingly like Reece Shearsmith.

Also appreciate that the songs, despite being comic songs, are taken somewhat seriously and used sparingly.

Perhaps, again, a little too LA writers' room self-referential for my tastes, mainly because they are just references rather than jokes at times; and ironically being as gag-packed as an American show is usually puts me off but it means those references glide off me with little trouble.

Bennett Brauer

Only just started with this but really enjoying it, and Busy Philipps is particularly funny in it.

Thought the last one I watched - Ep 4 in The Catskills - was a real dip in quality, and the romance was a bit naff (I know they're married in real life, but that didn't come across in the chemistry). Short on good jokes too, but I'm confident it's a temporary blip.

Pink Gregory

Yeah, if any of the four of them ends up a gag machine rather than a fully rounded character, it's Gloria.  Which is a shame because Paula Pell is clearly very funny, but she's just sort of there to goof, even Summer gets a bit of less throwaway growth towards the end of S2.

Just finished Season 2 after loving the first season and I felt there was a definite dip in quality. Fewer jokes, fewer good jokes, and the silliness often got boring. It didn't help that Dawn (Sara Bareilles) started to get ditsier when she was originally the mostly grounded wise-cracking one. Now they're all acting like idiots, clapping their hands and shouting Yaayyy! every other scene. Hope the next season gets back on form.

eta  Renée Elise Goldsberry as Wickie Roy is still great fun though

Pink Gregory

I don't know, I found myself preferring S2 but maybe because it took a minute to bed in; they do seem to not know quite what to do with Dawn when the other three are a bit more larger than life, not sure that that cast really needs a straight man figure?

British accent producer man was fairly dreadful, really added nothing other than being a bit of plot grease.

Maybe I was subconsciously exhausted by Jeff Richmond's relentlessly plinky isn't-this-quirky-and-adorable music!