Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:28:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Documental (Japanese Comedy Show)

Started by fit bird, October 11, 2021, 10:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesTC

"You only brought titties to thish sh-show"
"Eh?"

Lost Oliver

Thanks for this. Absolutely loving it.

Ray Travez

Probably wouldn't have persevered with this without the thread- cheers fit bird. Episode 1 series 1 is as Jerzy says, a rather protracted affair

Thoughts-

I laugh and sometimes I don't know what I'm laughing at. I can't remember it five minutes later. It's unlike anything I've seen before. It's like a polar opposite of Michael McIntyre. Scenes from Bedlam. If you played this in an asylum, the inmates would say, 'these people have problems'.

My favourite is Jimmy.

I think the comedy is affected by how well you know a performer. I developed a lot of affection for Jimmy, Fujimoto and Daisuke in series two, having seen them before. I found them funnier as a result. You have to get a sense of who the person is. I think if I had seen all these guys in a club or on tv, then the show would change a lot for me.

Agree Ray Peacock would have been a star at this. Mark Watson could be interesting, he's done a few 24 hour shows. Romesh Ranganathan? I'd hate to see a weak lemon drink pisspoor British version of this with cosy panel show Avalon chums. Anuses, that's what I want to see, full frontal anuses!

Swoz_MK

Watched S5 over the weekend, my God.
Spoiler alert
Jimmy, the egg and candlestick. "I thought it was a light egg". That is RIGHT up there with my favourite bits.
[close]

Watched S6E01 late last night as I just couldn't wait to see who was in it, very happy.

Swoz_MK

And after looking at pictures of Jimmy's face to send to my wife, I found this, which is on Netflix -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy:_The_True_Story_of_a_True_Idiot

MrsWarboysLover

Just watched season 1 on this thread's recommendation, and the funniest part of the show so far for me is Fujimoto's trying-not-to-laugh face

Spoiler alert
I also really enjoyed the boxing (especially the guy with glasses spitting out a bunch of stuff when he got punched in the face, I wasn't expecting that)
[close]

MojoJojo

I'm a bit surprised there hasn't been a UK version - you'd think Dave would be all over it. Maybe they don't like buying formats in.

amateur

Quote from: MojoJojo on October 25, 2021, 01:28:06 PM
I'm a bit surprised there hasn't been a UK version - you'd think Dave would be all over it. Maybe they don't like buying formats in.

Same. Maybe they saw the Australian version and decided they didn't want to go that way.

Ja'moke

I feel like a British version would work better closer to the Japanese format anyway. The one hour format that feels more like you're watching in real time, rather than the overly edited and confessional-laden Last One Laughing version. It just suits British comedy better.

It would just need the right host. Not sure who that would be mind you. Would probably work best with a respected comedy veteran. Frank Skinner maybe?

Swoz_MK

S6 was magnificent. Probably
Spoiler alert
Jimmy's
[close]
best attempt yet, I'm quite smitten with
Spoiler alert
Tomochika
[close]
How I've missed the
Spoiler alert
Fujimoto Face
[close]

JamesTC

Up to Series 3.

Feel like shit, just want Fujimoto back.

kidney

Spoiler alert
Dear Daisuke: "UFOs do exist."
[close]

Jerzy Bondov

I'm on season 2 at the moment.
Spoiler alert
Daisuke's
[close]
elimination is so funny.
Spoiler alert
Jimmy, with a soaking wet head, turning down a towel, casual as you like. Little incredulous laugh from Daisuke, who then catches himself and looks mortified. Starts peering around the room, nobody seems to notice. Did he get away with it? Then the siren goes.
[close]
And he's so annoyed with himself, repeating that it's not even funny, and then laughing at it again. Beautiful moment.

I like Kojima although I don't feel like he's going to last very long. He's one of a few that go into shouting and being aggressive to keep the laughter down, but he's got a really funny way about him. Loved him banging his drum. He's like Japanese James Acaster to me.

Oh and Jimmy
Spoiler alert
getting his balls sucked up the hoover
[close]
fucking rules

Lost Oliver

Quote from: MrsWarboysLover on October 25, 2021, 09:52:42 AM
Just watched season 1 on this thread's recommendation, and the funniest part of the show so far for me is Fujimoto's trying-not-to-laugh face

Spoiler alert
I also really enjoyed the boxing (especially the guy with glasses spitting out a bunch of stuff when he got punched in the face, I wasn't expecting that)
[close]

Absolutely love him. It's just so comforting to be watching something and have him in the room doing that face. I'm onto series 3 now and I can't wait to get started (though I have to because Mrs LO wants to watch it with me).

It's so rare that I laugh out loud and I love it so much that when I close my eyes to go to sleep I hear that gong type noise that starts the round.

Jerzy Bondov

Finished series 2 last night, absolutely demented TV. Highlights:

• Spoiler alert
    Everything with that fucking hatch in the wall, but especially Jimmy climbing up in it to show them his cock and getting stuck
    [close]
  • Spoiler alert
    Fujimoto suggesting they stop mucking about with the hoover and just start sucking each other off
    [close]
  • Spoiler alert
    Whatever fucking impression it was that Tsuda was doing
    [close]
  • Spoiler alert
    Oshima eliminating herself by making Jimmy a bowl of ramen with orange juice
    [close]
  • Spoiler alert
    Fujimoto getting an orange card for laughing at '200 watts' and everyone deliberately repeating it to try and set him off
    [close]
The final showdown is deranged beyond belief. The moment when they both
Spoiler alert
turn around with Joyman (whoever that is) on their heads
[close]
is a TV classic.
Spoiler alert
Kotoge
[close]
nearly broke then and it would have been fair enough if he had.
Spoiler alert
Saito being so moved by Matsumoto saying he was funny was genuinely touching. And all it took was for him to break an egg on his balls.
[close]

Can't wait to get on to season 3 now.
Spoiler alert
Only Cookie coming back this time
[close]

Gregory Torso

The first two series of this I have laughed at more than anything else in recent memory. Fucking hell.

But

I couldn't get into series 3 at all. I watched skipped through the introductory episode and then watched the next ep, and they all seemed to be trying way too hard to be funny. There was one guy in particular who was just shouting all the time, really unfunny things, and coughing and retching. Maybe I should take a break, seeing as I binged the first two over 2 days and my eyes hurt from laugh-crying.

Or maybe it's just not as good without Fujimoto.

fit bird

Quote from: Gregory Torso on October 28, 2021, 10:28:21 AM
The first two series of this I have laughed at more than anything else in recent memory. Fucking hell.

But

I couldn't get into series 3 at all. I watched skipped through the introductory episode and then watched the next ep, and they all seemed to be trying way too hard to be funny. There was one guy in particular who was just shouting all the time, really unfunny things, and coughing and retching. Maybe I should take a break, seeing as I binged the first two over 2 days and my eyes hurt from laugh-crying.

Or maybe it's just not as good without Fujimoto.

Series 3 takes longer to get going
Spoiler alert
and I'm assuming the one guy you mention is Iwahashi, and I agree he's really spectacularly unfunny
[close]
but there aren't many things that have made me laugh as much as
Spoiler alert
A guy with a baggy foreskin putting plastic toys up it
[close]
or
Spoiler alert
The lily chan, lulu chan, yuyu chan routine.
[close]
. It's worth it!

Gregory Torso

Quote from: fit bird on October 28, 2021, 10:41:46 AM
Series 3 takes longer to get going
Spoiler alert
and I'm assuming the one guy you mention is Iwahashi, and I agree he's really spectacularly unfunny
[close]
but there aren't many things that have made me laugh as much as
Spoiler alert
A guy with a baggy foreskin putting plastic toys up it
[close]
or
Spoiler alert
The lily chan, lulu chan, yuyu chan routine.
[close]
. It's worth it!

Oh, I'll definitely go back to it. It's one of the funniest TV shows I've ever seen. And thanks for making this thread because there's no way I would have ever watched it otherwise.

Ja'moke

Season 3 is definitely the weakest of the seasons I've watched, but it definitely picks up as it goes on.
Spoiler alert
Also, I think Iwahashi has Tourettes? He kept mentioning his "condition," so I could excuse some of his shouting, etc.
[close]

Season 4 is really good though, maybe my favourite of the lot.

amateur

Quote from: Ja'moke on October 28, 2021, 05:04:16 PM
Season 3 is definitely the weakest of the seasons I've watched, but it definitely picks up as it goes on.
Spoiler alert
Also, I think Iwahashi has Tourettes? He kept mentioning his "condition," so I could excuse some of his shouting, etc.
[close]

Season 4 is really good though, maybe my favourite of the lot.

Your new avatar is 1. on the money and 2
superb.

madhair60

Had to join in, avatar-wise. If anyone has a better Fujimoto face, hook me up

Lost Oliver

God I love him. Such a comforting presence.

Ray Travez

Bother! I am happy with my avatar, but now I want one of Jimmy getting his balls vacuumed

Poobum

Enjoying series 2 much more. Jimmy's reshuffled balls, Matsumoto's "If he were a child he'd be dead", Daisuke getting eliminated for the dumbest reason, his explanation making it even funnier. Looking forward to episode 3.

Ja'moke

If anyone can send me Season 7 via a Google Drive or Dropbox link, that would be appreciated. Every time I try and download from the SilentLibrary links it crashes my computer.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Ja'moke on October 29, 2021, 11:00:20 PM
If anyone can send me Season 7 via a Google Drive or Dropbox link, that would be appreciated. Every time I try and download from the SilentLibrary links it crashes my computer.

No worries now. I got it to work.

I wonder if it's true that the Japanese audience hates Fujimoto? He's clearly the CAB fave.

Gregory Torso

Quote from: Ja'moke on October 28, 2021, 05:04:16 PM

Yeh, I carried on watching, and it really does. Two huge laughs from 'a small curry and rice'.

edit: fucking hell teddy bear

Quote from: Ja'moke on October 30, 2021, 09:24:37 PM
I wonder if it's true that the Japanese audience hates Fujimoto?

That's mad. I wonder why? Perhaps in Japan there's a different perception of him based on his other work, like if there was a UK version of this and Josh Widdicombe went on it.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Gregory Torso on October 30, 2021, 10:40:50 PM
That's mad. I wonder why? Perhaps in Japan there's a different perception of him based on his other work, like if there was a UK version of this and Josh Widdicombe went on it.

From what I can gather from the show, they think Matsumoto is too soft on him. So maybe he's perceived as a production pet, kind of like how on how Big Brother it would be obvious who the production favourites were and the fans often ended up rebelling against them. It seems like a lot of Japanese viewers take the competition aspect of it really seriously.