Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:34:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Taskmaster Series 13

Started by MigraineBoy, August 25, 2021, 10:05:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Spoiler alert
BRIDGET CHRISTIE
[close]
!!!! Near the very top of my wishlist.

chutnut

Surely that's got to be
Spoiler alert
the least well known people in a lineup so far
[close]
? (it is for me anyway -
Spoiler alert
I only know who Bridget Christie and Ardal O'Hanlon are!
[close]
)

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: chutnut on September 17, 2021, 10:58:18 AM
Surely that's got to be
Spoiler alert
[close]
? (it is for me anyway -
Spoiler alert
[close]
)

The only one I don't know is Judi Love, though her wikipedia page has a long list of credits for panel shows, so she's been around for a fair while now.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: chutnut on September 17, 2021, 10:58:18 AM
Surely that's got to be
Spoiler alert
[close]
? (it is for me anyway -
Spoiler alert
[close]
)

I think the problem is that the show has been going for so long now they're running out of viable big names or stars. Not that we're at the bottom of the barrel quite yet but I think the best line-ups are behind us now.

SilverFish

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on September 17, 2021, 11:06:40 AM
I think the problem is that the show has been going for so long now they're running out of viable big names or stars.
It's all relative innit?  While they don't appeal to me at all
Spoiler alert
Chris Ramsey
[close]
has a stupidly massive
Spoiler alert
podcast listenership
[close]

Hat FM

I think the problem is that the show has been going for so long now they're running out of viable big names or stars. Not that we're at the bottom of the barrel quite yet but I think the best line-ups are behind us now.

i guess anyone well known that hasnt been on has turned it down then. can't believe captain Buckles would reject the opportunity.

SilverFish

Quote from: Hat FM on September 17, 2021, 12:12:41 PM
i guess anyone well known that hasnt been on has turned it down then. can't believe captain Buckles would reject the opportunity.
It's also a finely-tuned balancing act isn't it?  Buxton would fill that "elder statesman" slot in the line-up, but as he isn't a Lee Mack style name, so the rest of the bill would have to reflect that.

I'd genuinely love to see how they put a line-up together. Is it a first "yes" and then a line-up built around them or is it a case of having an ideal 5 in mind and then for each "no" drafting in a similar character?

selectivememory

Spoiler alert
Bridget Christie
[close]
should be great. I'm sure
Spoiler alert
Dougal
[close]
will be good too. No idea who the other three are, but there's usually at least two people per series who I didn't know of before.

sevendaughters

I watch a lot of crap reality-lite gameshows and
Spoiler alert
Judi Love
[close]
is usually on them and is not bad value without being transcendent.

They've only ever really had one star name per series (series three and nine are the exceptions - Al Murray/Dave Gorman and David Baddiel/Jo Brand were all capable of selling out big theatres before they were on). And is Russell Howard the only arena-level comedian they've had on?

It's just that they have a knack of booking people who are on their way to becoming big. Romesh Ranganathan, Katherine Ryan, Rob Beckett, Joe Lycett and Nish Kumar were all still doing relatively small rooms when they were on the show. Even Janes Acaster was still doing arts centres rather than 2,000-seater theatres.

I'm grateful that they don't just pack each series full of panel show regulars. It actually seems quite brave to give the likes of Sarah Kendall, Mike Wozniak and
Spoiler alert
Bridget Christie
[close]
ten hours of exposure on prime time Channel 4 given their relative lack of TV experience.

beanheadmcginty

I've been rewatching a load of old Whose Line is It Anyway? recently and it's made me realise how much I'd love to see Ryan Stiles, Colin Mochrie or Josie Lawrence in this.

MigraineBoy

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on September 18, 2021, 07:17:27 PM

I'm grateful that they don't just pack each series full of panel show regulars.
It seems a bit of a backhanded compliment, but each Channel 4 series could very easily have been a Dave line-up.

Lineup confirmed as Ardal O'Hanlon, Bridget Christie, Chris Ramsey, Judi Love and Sophie Duker: https://twitter.com/taskmaster/status/1463991162075852808

Having abandoned series 12 I won't be getting my hopes up, but it could be fun. Bridget Christie has always been at the top of my Taskmaster wishlist.

And despite complaining about Chris Ramsey earlier in the thread, I think the show benefits when there's a bit of a loudmouth prick on it.

I don't understand the recent obsession of casting middle-aged men who've done fuck all for years though: Baddiel, Herring, Davies and now O'Hanlon.

All of that said, none of it'll matter if the tasks are as weak as most of them in series 12 were.

beanheadmcginty

Surely the one middle aged man contestant has been a staple of Taskmaster since the very beginning? Gives Greg an easy target at the very least.

Hat FM

i thought i saw somewhere that Rhys james was going to be in this series. maybe it was just a rumour.

MigraineBoy

Quote from: Hat FM on November 26, 2021, 10:35:04 AMi thought i saw somewhere that Rhys james was going to be in this series. maybe it was just a rumour.
He'd tweeted a pic from the Taskmaster house - hence the rumour.  The nature of the overlap in filming these means he could likely be in Series 14.

holyzombiejesus

Anyone know when this is going to be on? Usually March, isn't it?

olliebean

April, according to the Taskmaster Wiki (uncited).

sevendaughters

Quote from: Old Thrashbarg on September 16, 2021, 09:32:41 PMIt doesn't really, but I can see why they wouldn't want it known before the next series has even started. If the line up for 13 looks great, for example, it could easily lead to people deciding to skip 12 and wait for the better line-up.

but the show is just like crisps, it's just a thing that is there, in many forms (series line-ups) on many platforms, all in perpetuity, continuing to exist, no one ever questioning whether this crisps thing has gone too far, just there as a vaguely nutritious content, it can be good, it can make you feel a bit sad that there isn't something better, but i mean at the end of the day it is televisual crisps.

olliebean

Quote from: Old Thrashbarg on September 16, 2021, 09:32:41 PMIt doesn't really, but I can see why they wouldn't want it known before the next series has even started. If the line up for 13 looks great, for example, it could easily lead to people deciding to skip 12 and wait for the better line-up.

If 12 is on now, and 13 isn't on for half a year, then regardless of how good 13 looks like being, what would be the benefit of skipping 12?

gilbertharding

Quote from: sevendaughters on March 09, 2022, 09:16:24 AMbut the show is just like crisps, it's just a thing that is there, in many forms (series line-ups) on many platforms, all in perpetuity, continuing to exist, no one ever questioning whether this crisps thing has gone too far, just there as a vaguely nutritious content, it can be good, it can make you feel a bit sad that there isn't something better, but i mean at the end of the day it is televisual crisps.

I just had a packet of Walkers Pickled Onion flavour crisps. In other news, I didn't watch the New Year edition of Taskmaster. I can't remember why. I just didn't feel like it. Howbowda?

monkfromhavana

Quote from: sevendaughters on March 09, 2022, 09:16:24 AMbut the show is just like crisps, it's just a thing that is there, in many forms (series line-ups) on many platforms, all in perpetuity, continuing to exist, no one ever questioning whether this crisps thing has gone too far, just there as a vaguely nutritious content, it can be good, it can make you feel a bit sad that there isn't something better, but i mean at the end of the day it is televisual crisps.

Having a pop at crisps, are we? You're worse than Putin.

amateur

Won't go down well with the lads in the crisps thread.

Small Man Big Horse

I feel that way now, but for the first nine seasons it was something better than crisps (chocolate, maybe?) and despite season 10 being poor it returned to form with 11, before becoming quite bad with 12. It definitely needs a shake up (Horne to get others in to write tasks, stop putting shit people in) and that's probably never going to happen and it will continue on becoming increasingly uneven, but it did have an impressive run for a good old while at least.

MigraineBoy

Thursday April 14th it starts.

God I hope it's better than the last series. Though that one did end really strongly. It's just a shame the first eight weeks included some absolute dross like "put up a shelf."

The Wozniak series and the latest new year special prove it can still be brilliant if the tasks are good and the contestants are right. But another bad series would make those the exception and signal that it's time to bin it off/for Alex to admit that he needs some help writing the tasks.

Bridget Christie should be great.

MigraineBoy

There's currently a little Easter egg hunt starting @ their latest twitter post.

It ends up here:

Spoiler alert

olliebean

I got as far as Instagram, where it seems you can't look at anything properly without an account, and I can't be doing with that. Doesn't look like it led to anything worth the trouble, anyway.