Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:15:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tim Heidecker and Gregg Turkingtons On Cinema podcast

Started by RickyGerbail, November 26, 2011, 11:46:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

QDRPHNC

That first trivia question during the break made me choke on some wine.

Edit: Yessss, just realized I can stream it through the proper YT app now.

QDRPHNC

I wonder who is going to get hurt or killed by heavy equipment.

QDRPHNC

QDRPHNC

"This guy would come in and return stuff all the time but we never saw him buying anything."

Who was that talking head they had at the end of the Dekkar doc thing?

QDRPHNC

"I'll prove to anyone here tonight what I can do. Sexually."

BritishHobo

I'm watching the main ceremony at the same time - pretty bonkers to think that however the On Cinema special ends, Tim won't have the most violent outburst of the night.

QDRPHNC

Why what's going on at the ceremony?
EDIT: Just saw. Was that real?

BritishHobo

Quote from: QDRPHNC on March 28, 2022, 03:35:01 AMWhy what's going on at the ceremony?

Chris Rock made a joke at Jada Pinkett-Smith's expense and Will Smith walked up on stage and slapped him across the face, before returning to his seat and shouting 'keep my wife's name out of your fucking mouth'. Does not appear to be a bit, and has very much soured the mood, to the extent that they cut to black for several minutes during an acceptance speech.

BritishHobo

Quote from: QDRPHNC on March 28, 2022, 03:35:01 AMWhy what's going on at the ceremony?
EDIT: Just saw. Was that real?

I think so. The vibe is very sour in a way that doesn't feel like a fun skit.

Cheering myself by thinking of the green laser dot moving immediately up to Mark's iPad face as he started his Hitchcock spiel. Lovely stuff.

QDRPHNC

BritishHobo

I like to think this long long break is because they're all just watching the actual ceremony.

BritishHobo

I honestly think the funniest On Cinema moment of all time has just happened, in that right as the main ceremony reached a horrible, fascinating electric peak with Will Smith making a fucked, emotional acceptance speech in the wake of his outburst, the On Cinema stream cut back to a jaunty Greg suggesting the Academy give out an award for '1st Movie of the Year'. Presumably unplanned, but absolutely beat-perfect timing.

QDRPHNC

I was wondering if they took an extra long break to figure out if they would make any comment about the slap, think it was funnier that they didn't, but did note Will Smith had won for Best Actor.

BritishHobo

The force with which Tim snarled 'King Richard' in the confused heat of his anger at the ranch situation really made me laugh.

BritishHobo

Oof,
Spoiler alert
what an ending.
[close]
I thought that was great stuff. The whole thing had
Spoiler alert
a great sinister tension to it, with the night drawing in, and the constant presence of the dots.
[close]

Really loved that.

QDRPHNC

And there we go...

Normally I can't gather my thoughts on these things until I manage to see them a second time without the technical hiccups and long breaks.

Spoiler alert
That was a weird one though, didn't seem have the well thought-out structure of the previous few. The ending seemed to come out of nowhere, Tim's whole "kill me I'm already dead thing" I don't think was set up prior. I mean, I know he's always miserable deep down, but this particular Oscar Special didn't seem to go as badly as many of the others. I also think being outdoors might have affected things, it didn't seem to have that claustrophobic tension of all these people packed into the little studio.
[close]

Quote from: BritishHobo on March 28, 2022, 04:33:21 AMThe whole thing had
Spoiler alert
a great sinister tension to it, with the night drawing in, and the constant presence of the dots.
[close]

Yes, I liked those parts.
Spoiler alert
The last minute or so seemed really rushed though, I was expecting a bit more.
[close]

BritishHobo

I see what you mean. A bit more
Spoiler alert
leaning into the stuff from Toni's therapy tapes might have helped build a sense that Tim's realised all his friendships are worthless shams and that he's pushed away his wife for good, leading to that 'I've ruined everything' moment.
[close]

That said I didn't pay too much attention to the
Spoiler alert
Dekkar documentary segments
[close]
as the real ceremony was distracting me, so I may have to rewatch those parts.

QDRPHNC

Nice, I see she got retweeted by the official account and all.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: MrMrs on March 28, 2022, 12:58:54 PMWhere's the bloody link

They cut the YT stream the second is was over - left a lot of people who had rewound it a little bit quite pissed off they missed the ending. It'll be up on the Hei Network site today.

QDRPHNC

Here's what I think, having slept on it (really, don't read this if you haven't seen it yet):

Spoiler alert
Sorry to say it, but this one is definitely far down on the list of Oscar Specials, and may even be at the bottom.

It's not that it didn't have its moments (more on those in a bit), but overall I found it pretty boring. With the other Specials, there are usually several segments that I am looking forward to rewatching even while seeing them for the first time - Gregg's tribute to Bond, Zero Hour, the Trial of George Lucas, James Dean's DNA test, the CGI Tom Cruise Jr.... I could go on. But this morning I couldn't think of a single bit I was looking forward to rewatching. In fact, I couldn't even really think of a bit. I guess having the stand-in for Mark holding up the iPad was clever, but I can't help but think it would have been funnier if Mark was actually there in character. And while I've been raked over the coals on the Partridge thread for saying "that would never happen though", for a show that trades so much on the intersection of performance and reality, I didn't believe for a second that Tim would risk playing Toni's therapy tape - sight unseen - after the bombshells she dropped at the end of season 12.

In terms of dullness, I could only compare it to Gregg's Our Cinema special, but there the dullness was the point. The whole concept was meant to be provocative, and even given that, Mark's monologue about the free juice he got from Costco or the image of Heath Ledger lingering over the threat of Tim's suicide was more memorable than last night.

I have to say, even Gregg's sections were pretty lame, just him standing in the same spot about five times (and why did he have a camera crew filming him using his selfie stick? Part of the charm of his sections for me, has been the idea that Gregg Turkington is actually creeping around the Kodak Theater alone with his cellphone.)

The shit water was funny. Tim using the golf cart to drive about twelve feet was good. I laughed at Mark falling down the hill and Manuel using the rolling popcorn machine as cover, and everyone needing to get their hydration from the chili water. The celebrity guest (the woman from Psycho 2) was really good, the guests are typically the only sections I skip on repeat viewings, but she seemed witty and wasn't awkwardly flailing, nor trying too hard to be part of the joke. And the laser sights in the growing darkness was definitely an eerie image, but they were all just moments.

And the ending... yeah, just came out of nowhere. I was really curious to see who would step out of the truck, if it would tie things together in the way previous specials have done (the carbon monoxide poisoning, Tim's magnets destroying the tapes, James Dean taking his place in the living painting...), but it just sort of fizzled out to black - although it could well be setting up the plot of season 13, so maybe it'll be better in hindsight.

It's all relative though - even a poor Oscar Special still makes me laugh quite a bit. I do wonder if they used up a lot of resources and creative energy on the Valentine's Special, which was fantastic. And as nice as some of the atmosphere they got outdoors was, it seems to me it probably limited their access to crew, equipment, green screens, prepared video, etc.

Maybe in a week, away from the technical issues and being distracted by Twitter and Chris Rock getting slapped, a rewatch will change my mind, we'll see.
[close]

I think now we're at 12, I'd like to do a proper ranking, if only to give myself an excuse to go back over the old ones again.

Big Mclargehuge

Quote from: QDRPHNC on March 28, 2022, 01:45:30 PMHere's what I think, having slept on it (really, don't read this if you haven't seen it yet):

Spoiler alert
Sorry to say it, but this one is definitely far down on the list of Oscar Specials, and may even be at the bottom.

It's not that it didn't have its moments (more on those in a bit), but overall I found it pretty boring. With the other Specials, there are usually several segments that I am looking forward to rewatching even while seeing them for the first time - Gregg's tribute to Bond, Zero Hour, the Trial of George Lucas, James Dean's DNA test, the CGI Tom Cruise Jr.... I could go on. But this morning I couldn't think of a single bit I was looking forward to rewatching. In fact, I couldn't even really think of a bit. I guess having the stand-in for Mark holding up the iPad was clever, but I can't help but think it would have been funnier if Mark was actually there in character. And while I've been raked over the coals on the Partridge thread for saying "that would never happen though", for a show that trades so much on the intersection of performance and reality, I didn't believe for a second that Tim would risk playing Toni's therapy tape - sight unseen - after the bombshells she dropped at the end of season 12.

In terms of dullness, I could only compare it to Gregg's Our Cinema special, but there the dullness was the point. The whole concept was meant to be provocative, and even given that, Mark's monologue about the free juice he got from Costco or the image of Heath Ledger lingering over the threat of Tim's suicide was more memorable than last night.

I have to say, even Gregg's sections were pretty lame, just him standing in the same spot about five times (and why did he have a camera crew filming him using his selfie stick? Part of the charm of his sections for me, has been the idea that Gregg Turkington is actually creeping around the Kodak Theater alone with his cellphone.)

The shit water was funny. Tim using the golf cart to drive about twelve feet was good. I laughed at Mark falling down the hill and Manuel using the rolling popcorn machine as cover, and everyone needing to get their hydration from the chili water. The celebrity guest (the woman from Psycho 2) was really good, the guests are typically the only sections I skip on repeat viewings, but she seemed witty and wasn't awkwardly flailing, nor trying too hard to be part of the joke. And the laser sights in the growing darkness was definitely an eerie image, but they were all just moments.

And the ending... yeah, just came out of nowhere. I was really curious to see who would step out of the truck, if it would tie things together in the way previous specials have done (the carbon monoxide poisoning, Tim's magnets destroying the tapes, James Dean taking his place in the living painting...), but it just sort of fizzled out to black - although it could well be setting up the plot of season 13, so maybe it'll be better in hindsight.

It's all relative though - even a poor Oscar Special still makes me laugh quite a bit. I do wonder if they used up a lot of resources and creative energy on the Valentine's Special, which was fantastic. And as nice as some of the atmosphere they got outdoors was, it seems to me it probably limited their access to crew, equipment, green screens, prepared video, etc.

Maybe in a week, away from the technical issues and being distracted by Twitter and Chris Rock getting slapped, a rewatch will change my mind, we'll see.
[close]

I think now we're at 12, I'd like to do a proper ranking, if only to give myself an excuse to go back over the old ones again.

I agree with a lot of your sentiments there and would only add that the continual buffering which, while it got better as the night went on was STILL an issue even in the closing moments DEFINITELY didnt help keep me in the mood and flow that these go for. I know its a commonplace that buffering effects these streams but even after 3 and a half hours I dont think I got more than 3 minutes of stable video before it all either seized up or jumped forward 10-15 seconds.

on the whole though I think this one will go in the middle of the deck if I was ranking them. totally agree with your thoughts that
Spoiler alert
It did feel somewhat aimless and didnt seem to have the consistency the other Oscar specials have had in the past. This was really the first time where, to me at least, it kind of felt like even the guys didnt know what was going on. Which can work if properly stage managed, but it didnt really seem too much like "Organised Chaos" to me. The final 30 minutes gave me border "Ghostwatch" vibes in terms of spooky goings on with live broadcasts and stuff. No idea what the ending will lead to, but im personally hoping it's "The Trial of Tim Hidecker part 2"
[close]

All in all...it was alright. A rewatch with a stable stream might bump my opinion up a bit.

QDRPHNC

Appreciate you taking the time to read my screed. Looks like it's up now for viewing on Hei Network.

Does anyone know if it's possible to download from embedded Vimeo links? Would much rather see this on my TV without all the hoop-jumping-through.

New Dekker oscar medley!
I think you're right though, they needed a bigger ending and more things going on.
They can't all be winners, and that valentines day special was good.

Yeah, the guest was good, when they walked off to let her sit looking awkward in silence before the break and she's like "nar mate, fuck that" and got up and walked off with them. Class act.

Really felt bad for Tim when it came out that everyone was just there for his money and laughing at him behind his back.
I know he's a prick, but still.

Quote from: QDRPHNC on March 28, 2022, 05:42:10 PMDoes anyone know if it's possible to download from embedded Vimeo links? Would much rather see this on my TV without all the hoop-jumping-through.

There is, but you're probably not gonna like the hoop jumping.

This is assuming you're using firefox, and have something connected to your telly that can play MP4's and that you're after the 1080p version of the video.

Spoiler alert
Start watching the video on the hei site, right click and choose "inspect"

Then press ctrl-f and search for "mp4", you'll select a big block of text which will turn blue.
Double click on that, then right click and choose "copy"

paste this into notepad and press "ctrl-f", change the direction to "up" and type in 1080p and click "find next"

shortly after the "1080p" that's been selected there'll be something like

"url":"https://vod-progressive.akamaized.net/exp=etcetc8761.mp4~hmac=b293cecd4bf5c784asdiutugng0878632aa00847a53a0918193/vimeo-prod-skyfire-std-us/01/3603/27/6934456625/323438761.mp4"

You want to select and copy the full url, for example

https://vod-progressive.akamaized.net/exp=etcetc8761.mp4~hmac=b293cecd4bf5c784asdiutugng0878632aa00847a53a0918193/vimeo-prod-skyfire-std-us/01/3603/27/6934456625/323438761.mp4

Then go to google, paste it into the search bar, press ctrl-a, right click and choose "save link as"

that way you can download the mp4 file and play it wherever you like.
[close]

Noodle Lizard

I wasn't following along live, but it seems to be the most flawless Oscar Special yet from a technical standpoint. It's up in full on the site the next day, at least, which I don't think has ever happened before.

Watching it gives me anxiety knowing that they chose to do it outdoors on a hillside. That's asking for trouble - for starters, it's pissing it down with rain here, the day after!