Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:00:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Rip-offs

Started by holyzombiejesus, March 29, 2022, 02:29:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

I know, prices are going up, there's no-one forcing you to buy it, lots of records are aimed at wealthier collectors nowadays. But...

There's a Karen Dalton reissue due. I really like her so would quite like the fancy triple vinyl edition with extra 7"s and whatnot.

The normal album is about £28.
The 2LP version with 2 7"s is £80. You get a booklet too. 2 7"s, an extra LP (albeit a 45rpm one) and a booklet for £52. Not great really, going off the idea now.
The 3LP version has the same as the 2LP edition but also includes a 45rpm, one-sided 12" and a fold out poster. £140. £60 for an 18" x 24" poster and a one sided 12". Bizarre.

chutnut

I've almost completely stopped buying vinyl now because of this, even 3-4 years ago it was getting to the point where any album I wanted was about £30 minimum, and singles about £12. bloody nightmare!

Brundle-Fly

Then, you see these ltd edition vinyl editions on Discogs a few months later selling at an even higher price. Dealers, as well as wealthy collectors too it seems.

Pauline Walnuts

[tag]Record Store Day Leaves Thread Furtively[/tag]

SweetPomPom

Nick Cave enters thread selling his tour merch - cashmere jumpers, only 450 quid.

Sebastian Cobb

Single lp seems a bit steep. I just picked up Ibibio Sound Machine for £21 last week.

2lp with only 3 sides though, maddening.

ProvanFan

Listening to them is quite inconvenient too. Unless you have an employee or pet to flip them over.

The Mollusk

Me, a CD collector, reading this thread

lazyhour

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on March 29, 2022, 02:29:05 PMThe normal album is about £28.
The 2LP version with 2 7"s is £80. You get a booklet too. 2 7"s, an extra LP (albeit a 45rpm one) and a booklet for £52. Not great really, going off the idea now.
The 3LP version has the same as the 2LP edition but also includes a 45rpm, one-sided 12" and a fold out poster. £140. £60 for an 18" x 24" poster and a one sided 12". Bizarre.

Fuck me. Do you mind if I steal this outrage for the next episode of my record collecting podcast? I'm looking forward to infuriating our listeners with it!

purlieu

Worth mentioning that, adjusted for inflation, your £14.99 CD album from 1995 would now be worth £30. So vinyl prices today aren't actually quite as bad as they seem, and your average £9.99 CD these days is little more than the price of a single back in the '90s.

Anyway, I spotted the vinyl edition of Parklife for £49.99 in HMV recently, which is fucking absurd.

Nothing's going to beat the All Things Must Pass reissue, though. The 5CD edition, not even in a huge lavish book, just packaged into a 12x12cm jewel-case-sized cardboard box, £119.99. The size and amount of content of one of those 'Original Album Series' boxsets you see, only 12 times the price!

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: lazyhour on March 29, 2022, 06:35:30 PMFuck me. Do you mind if I steal this outrage for the next episode of my record collecting podcast? I'm looking forward to infuriating our listeners with it!

Not at all. The details are here. It's such a great album and I'd love to hear the live stuff but it's really strange to charge that much. Light in the Attic can be quite pricey but they don't normally do stuff as stupid as this. Having said that, their Angel Olsen/ Karen Dalton split 7" was nearly £20.

Kankurette

Quote from: SweetPomPom on March 29, 2022, 05:21:11 PMNick Cave enters thread selling his tour merch - cashmere jumpers, only 450 quid.
"Hold my wine" - Maynard James Keenan

sardines

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on March 29, 2022, 02:29:05 PMThere's a Karen Dalton reissue due. I really like her so would quite like the fancy triple vinyl edition with extra 7"s and whatnot.

Just to add to this, Light In The Attic have been reissuing this album in various forms since 2006. Which adds to the thought that this is a completely unnecessary release. 

Another fitting the theme- I still see The Doors 'London Fog' knocking about stores in its oversized battered DHL cardboard box (sorry'deluxe individually numbered boxset') containing a 10" of about 20 minutes of inaudible rehearsals. Around 60 quid on release if I remember correctly.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: SweetPomPom on March 29, 2022, 05:21:11 PMNick Cave enters thread selling his tour merch - cashmere jumpers, only 450 quid.

Cave writes some of the notes in the booklet. I do wish he'd fuck off.

jobotic

The worst thing is Karen Dalton won't see a penny.

I remember being in Rough Trade Nottingham about seven years ago and there was Songs About Fucking for £35.

Exactly the same as mine that was £5.99 in Our Price.

I am one of those plums who thinks everything is shockingly expensive - expecting gigs to cost a fiver and what have you - but that's still a fucking rip off.

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: purlieu on March 29, 2022, 07:49:03 PMNothing's going to beat the All Things Must Pass reissue, though. The 5CD edition, not even in a huge lavish book, just packaged into a 12x12cm jewel-case-sized cardboard box, £119.99. The size and amount of content of one of those 'Original Album Series' boxsets you see, only 12 times the price!

I always thought this album was far too short and could use some padding.

Sebastian Cobb

3xLP 25th anniversary edition of Dig Your Own Hole... £45

https://store.thechemicalbrothers.com/*/*/Limited-Edition-Dig-Your-Own-Hole-3LP-vinyl-with-5-new-bonus-tracks/7E1I0000000

Preying on the weak imo. There seems something especially pointless about re-releasing mid-90's dance music (which was produced digitally and probably mixed to DAT) that was produced for home CD listening (the vinyl editions were mostly for DJ's) on vinyl.

I like this album, and like buying records but I have it on CD, and more than likely would stream it rather than dig it out, and have no desire to buy it in another format.

holyzombiejesus

That £80, 4LP (+ book of photos!) box set of Pavement's worst album is pretty ridiculous too. 28 previously unreleased tracks and unseen photos. Nah.

kalowski

My local record shop has Slipknot's Iowa reissued on "coke bottle clear coloured vinyl" for £54.99
Notwithstanding the fact that I wouldn't pay 59p for a Slipknot record, the shop had this comment in their newsletter
QuoteSorry about the price our margins remain the same but the product costs us more, blame the major labels!

The Mollusk

Was in Flashback the other week and they had the self titled Daughters album on CD for £30. You know, the band whose singer recently got absolutely demolished when he was outed as a serial rapist/abuser? I couldn't stop myself coughing out a single guffaw at that.

Memorex MP3

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on April 09, 2022, 01:36:33 PMThat £80, 4LP (+ book of photos!) box set of Pavement's worst album is pretty ridiculous too. 28 previously unreleased tracks and unseen photos. Nah.
The weird thing about that one is that it's purely a completists release*; but it's completing a set that has (afaik) only come out on CD. I don't really get why someone would buy the vinyl over the CDs if they've already got the other 4 on CD. I guess it's a trial for releasing all the others on vinyl at 80 each too?

* they done the first 4 albums and had very little left to do another for Terror Twilight but people really wanted it so here it is

lazyhour

What seems crazy to me is that the deluxe Terror Twilight doesn't even include the best b-sides from the era! How on earth can it not include Harness Your Hopes?

lazyhour

OK, I've just discovered why - all the great Terror Twilight-era b-sides are on the Brighten The Corners reissue.

Seems stupid.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: kalowski on April 09, 2022, 01:41:05 PMMy local record shop has Slipknot's Iowa reissued on "coke bottle clear coloured vinyl" for £54.99
Notwithstanding the fact that I wouldn't pay 59p for a Slipknot record, the shop had this comment in their newsletter

I ended up on a Yazz Ahmed mailing list after buying some stuff on bandcamp and she's thrown the odd dig at people holding up pressing plants including a 'big artist', I'm going to assume it's either Taylor Swift or Adele.

kalowski

My LRS said Swift's 1989 was out soon so I'm assuming it's her too.

Pauline Walnuts

Adele pressed up half a million of her latest album didn't she?

holyzombiejesus

I think Abba were partly responsible too. Not sure if Taylor Swift will be pressing up that many copies on vinyl to make much of a difference.

purlieu

The Taylor's Version re-recordings are all triple and quadruple LP sets, which probably won't help.

Pinball

By contrast, CDs remain great value, rippable, easier to play and better quality.

purlieu

They also take up less room and you don't have to check on Discogs first to see if it's actually a good pressing or not.