Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:52:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Barry (HBO comedy)

Started by c, February 26, 2019, 08:59:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom_power

They are giving Gene more depth with his relationship with his son and I like how fairly subtle the Sally stuff is.

SteveDave

I watched this over the weekend and I don't think I've ever inhaled as hard as I did when it looked like Fuches was going to off the Fonz at the end of the penultimate episode.

Mr Faineant

Just started watching this. It got off to a bit of a rocky start, I think...it had a "weeds" feel about it, with overly quirky characters. But, I've come to really like it. I really enjoy Henry Winkler's character.

AngryGazelle

Season three is starting in April; I'm really keen on rewatching the first two now.

Clownbaby

I love this. I checked it out purely because I loved Anthony Carrigan whenever he popped up in Gotham as Victor Zsasz and he's just as charming in this. NoHo Hank is adorable. The whole idea for the show I really like - the thing of the central character being a bit of an empty shell and kind of pathetically latching onto acting inexplicably to give himself a different purpose, and the bleak irony that the only thing that his "acting" can actually feed off is the grim hit man job he's trying to distance himself from anyway. The tone is spot on and I'm chuffed there's a second series. When I finished the first I thought "nah I bet this is the sort of show that is an actual gem but it just gets dropped and forgotten about". Glad to see it's not.

phantom_power

I remember it took a few episodes to get going but I really liked it after that. Hader is a great actor, both comedic and dramatic

Memorex MP3

Season 3 starts on Sunday, reviews are sky high but that's usually the case when it's the follow up season to an underappreciated one.

Been so long but I'm pretty sure season 2 was either really good throughout or had one or two amazing episodes. Might pack in a rewatch before it's back.

Hat FM

ooh wonder if it will arrive on now tv straight away...

Wezzo

Quote from: Hat FM on April 22, 2022, 01:36:04 PMooh wonder if it will arrive on now tv straight away...

It will, it's getting a simulcast at 3am Monday on Sky Comedy and will be on NOW straight after.

up_the_hampipe

Anyone watching the new season othen? Wow, Bill Hader's acting and directing has been mesmerising. Some especially intense stuff in episode two.

AngryGazelle

I'm watching, It's been bloody good so far. My only gripe is that each episode is only half an hour long.

The dogs running past the window was great!

Ron Superior

Man this has just been getting better and better. Really weird tonally, going from incredibly serious and upsetting to really stupid and funny on a dime, could go horribly wrong but it works brilliantly.

Really interesting what was cemented about where Barry's heading in this week's episode.

And Winkler's absolutely brilliant in this.

Having this on at the same time as Better Call Saul is a real golden age feel.

Memorex MP3

Very happy that they've doubled down on following up last season, I kind of expected it all to be dialled back some.

Is this the final season?

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Memorex MP3 on May 03, 2022, 10:57:55 AMVery happy that they've doubled down on following up last season, I kind of expected it all to be dialled back some.

Is this the final season?

4th season has already been commissioned and written, not sure when filming starts though.

veletision

It's started fantastically

Ferris

Watched a few eps of this but it didn't grab me - looks like I need to push through!

up_the_hampipe

Great episode this week, now I can't tell where this season is going to go. I'm worried about
Spoiler alert
Elsie Fisher's character
[close]
The whole scene with the Detonator app customer service was brilliantly funny tension.

Povidone

Might give this a go if Bill Hader, probably one of the funniest human beings in existence, is the least funny thing in it.

Mobius

Not reading thread cus of spoilers but I started this the other day and am now onto Season 2.

It's really excellent, funny and the drama is great. I definitely recommend it. Also love how the episodes are under 30 mins, just zips by.

NoHo Hank is a fantastic character.

Mr Faineant

Also really enjoying season 3. Just a terrific show, throughout. Some really good little directorial jokes, like
Spoiler alert
the list of mean things Henry winkler being called extending from one scene to a later scene.
[close]
lovely stuff.

AngryGazelle

Another fantastic and jam-packed episode!

Spoiler alert
Barry revealing some of this 'true self' to Sally was black comedy gold
[close]

Lot's of plot-threads that are interweaving nicely, I also liked the visuals in the dirt bike scene; felt fresh.

I want more Fuches!

BeardFaceMan

Was that a Serious Sam reference in the latest episode? Still enjoying this show a lot, very happy we're getting a 4th season.

SteveDave

Why was someone dressed as Jack Torrence in the shop where The Fonz and his agent met Joe Mantegna?

up_the_hampipe

The chase scene in this week's episode was phenomenal. Bill Hader is a really exceptional director, I hope he does a big movie someday.

bobloblaw

that episode was remarkable. So many spinning storylines in a 28-minute show, plus introducing a brilliant new character, some top-quality gags (not least Barry's dictated phone message) and then that chase, a triumph of sound editing and choreography. Breathtaking.

niat

Amazing episode of an consistently great series. The chase scene was stunningly constructed and I think I need to watch the episode again to take it all in.

Pimhole

Just watched the latest ep and yes, god, wow, shit, it's incredible. There is nothing as good as this on TV at the moment. Nothing.

This series is kind of what I thought Better Call Saul was going to be. I'm not complaining about BCS, I love it, but... c'mon. Barry tells about 4x more story in half the time and loses nothing, somehow. I hope this influences TV away from over-long ponderous potboilers. Again, I do love BCS. But this is the most excited I've been about a show in... can't remember.

I'm sitting here at a loss now because anything I watch after that perfect half hour is going to look like dogshit.

Pimhole

Oh and I meant to say - Bill Hader is interviewed about each episode on the Prestige TV podcast, it's worth a listen.

Mobius

Quote from: Mobius on May 16, 2022, 11:18:30 PMNot reading thread cus of spoilers but I started this the other day and am now onto Season 2.

All caught up on this now. What an excellent show.

Most recent episode was awesome, that whole chase/motorway scene was incredible.

Love this show, funny and dramatic and quirky and dark as fuck. Hader is Ace.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: Mr Faineant on May 17, 2022, 05:44:56 PMAlso really enjoying season 3. Just a terrific show, throughout. Some really good little directorial jokes, like
Spoiler alert
the list of mean things Henry winkler being called extending from one scene to a later scene.
[close]
lovely stuff.

Just watched that episode and loved that moment, and especially how
Spoiler alert
they just top it off with little details like Cousineau being particularly annoyed by someone calling him "fuck-fuck" - and the agent then reeling off who and when and saying that he'd specifically asked for no feedback.
[close]

It's just brilliant black comedy all the way now: so arch and witty - I have a lot of time for shows that create all these irrelevant little worldbuilding gags like, say, the "Kenneth Goulet" business cards - yet menacing and actually quite psychologically distressing.