Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:04:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Alan Partridge: Stratagem

Started by Magnum Valentino, April 23, 2022, 12:12:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel

Quote from: Petey Pate on May 14, 2022, 03:05:46 PMPretty funny but the real world implications of this 'interview' makes my head hurt a bit. Will Mr Bean be meeting Rowan Atkinson anytime soon?

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2022/may/14/alan-partridge-interviews-steve-coogan

It's me, on me, on Alan, on Alan, on I, on I, on Partridge, on Partridge...

dumpster

So Blackpool also had a Capital FM man in the audience. 

I really felt disappointed. Some good ideas but ultimately just wasn't funny.  Alan was just being Alan which was great, but I felt the material was very poor throughout. Sketches didn't go anywhere (the drunk girl from the audience was brushed out of the back door before she did anything.  It felt like ideas were random, no real theme (Stratogem didn't really go far) and the topic kept changing as if they linked together a load of previously written stuff.  Half baked.

dumpster

Just to add, everything had an echo so all the musical numbers  sounded terrible.  Couldn't make out the lyrics.  Right at the start Alan announced from offstage and I couldn't make out a single word. So disappointed.

rude soil

It was Classic FM in Belfast, but only for the ones that had been in adverts.

yaktaur

I'll used my first post here to say that I'm going to see this at the O2 on the 3rd of June and I'm pretty pumped. I don't care if it's bad because I'll see Alan Partridge in person...

neveragain

BritishHobo

Off to see this in a couple of hours. Rewatched This Time series 2 this morning in preparation, after listening to some Oasthouse this week. Made me realise that the Gibbons' had been giving Alan happy twilight years for a while - the radio show, the girlfriend, the dog, the return to the BBC - and have then piece by piece snatched it all away from him again. I don't expect the live show to be massively arc-heavy, like a Doctor Who series finale, but I don't think I'd blame Alan if he has another IAP2-style breakdown.

God I'm excited.

BeardFaceMan

Is he still wearing the tooth badge for the live show?

bgmnts

Tenner for the programme god i forgot how expensive life was outside in cities.

shiftwork2

What time has this show been finishing please?

mrfridge

Quote from: shiftwork2 on May 19, 2022, 09:26:36 PMWhat time has this show been finishing please?

10.15 in Manchester.

Crenners

It ends two hours after it starts, bang on.

I thought lots of it was very funny, better overall than I'd expected. The odd segment is crap, some of the performers are weak but Coogan was on excellent form and some upper tier moments.

bgmnts

Quote from: shiftwork2 on May 19, 2022, 09:26:36 PMWhat time has this show been finishing please?

Started at just gone eight and finished at about 10 for me.

Brilliant show, as you'd expect from Partridge. The level of consistent belly laughs is astounding.

Rolf Lundgren

It's very slick and Coogan was on top form considering how many lines he had to remember and the timing he had to get right. Felt more like theatre than stand-up for the most part but that's not a bad thing.

Laugh out loud funny consistently throughout.

BritishHobo

There's definitely a lot of ideas, which don't always come together. The structure is pretty all over the place and it ends abruptly. I suppose it's meant to be a mad crowdpleaser rather than a tight entry character-wise. That's never going to work in an arena show. It's built for the stuff that resonates and gets cheers -
Spoiler alert
the musical numbers, the panto-y gags, the pedestrianisation of Norwich City Centre.
[close]

Spoiler alert
Emma Sidi's characters are a good example. I love Sidi, and am so happy Coogan is giving her this platform in front of massive crowds. The inspirational speaker especially was really funny, and the crowd loved it, which was nice as it is a risk for a different character to take spotlight when everyone has turned out to see the DAN! DAN! DAN! guy. But her bits did seem to whiz by; they escalated quick and then ended. I wish she'd gotten to do more, and had some of the story stuff built a bit more. The big revelation of what the show was all about felt a bit random from that character.
[close]

So much to love though.
Spoiler alert
The Hamilton-inspired opener. The Seldom tributes. Alan's Irish lookalike delighting in making him repeatedly join in the musical instrument playing.
[close]

I also admired how truly fucking weird loads of it was. There was a lot of crowdpleasing stuff, but also plenty of stuff that was just mad as fuck and to hell with it. It was really well staged as well, with the screens enhancing and enabling a lot of jokes.

The Cardiff-specific stuff, as far as I can remember (spoilered especially because there are two more nights here) were
Spoiler alert
mainly name references - built this city on Tom Jones, Shirley Bassey, Aled Jones, all the Joneses, and Rob Brydon. If there was a big gag outside of that the
I missed it or have forgotten it. On top of the jokes that others have referenced as being made about other cities too (the stuck in the past gag, and Alan telling his younger self he's in Cardiff: "Do you live in Cardiff?" "God no!"), Wales seemed to come up as a reference quite a lot throughout, for example being where Alan's friend was taking his caravan. That may just be the same in every show though.
[close]

Perfectly pitched show, I think. Spot-on for the size of the venues. Just properly fun and breathless in its gagrate. I was nervous about the audience, but it was a great atmosphere.

bgmnts

Quote from: BritishHobo on May 19, 2022, 11:44:21 PMThere's definitely a lot of ideas, which don't always come together. The structure is pretty all over the place and it ends abruptly. I suppose it's meant to be a mad crowdpleaser rather than a tight entry character-wise. That's never going to work in an arena show. It's built for the stuff that resonates and gets cheers -
Spoiler alert
the musical numbers, the panto-y gags, the pedestrianisation of Norwich City Centre.
[close]

Spoiler alert
Emma Sidi's characters are a good example. I love Sidi, and am so happy Coogan is giving her this platform in front of massive crowds. The inspirational speaker especially was really funny, and the crowd loved it, which was nice as it is a risk for a different character to take spotlight when everyone has turned out to see the DAN! DAN! DAN! guy. But her bits did seem to whiz by; they escalated quick and then ended. I wish she'd gotten to do more, and had some of the story stuff built a bit more. The big revelation of what the show was all about felt a bit random from that character.
[close]

So much to love though.
Spoiler alert
The Hamilton-inspired opener. The Seldom tributes. Alan's Irish lookalike delighting in making him repeatedly join in the musical instrument playing.
[close]

I also admired how truly fucking weird loads of it was. There was a lot of crowdpleasing stuff, but also plenty of stuff that was just mad as fuck and to hell with it. It was really well staged as well, with the screens enhancing and enabling a lot of jokes.

The Cardiff-specific stuff, as far as I can remember (spoilered especially because there are two more nights here) were
Spoiler alert
mainly name references - built this city on Tom Jones, Shirley Bassey, Aled Jones, all the Joneses, and Rob Brydon. If there was a big gag outside of that the
I missed it or have forgotten it. On top of the jokes that others have referenced as being made about other cities too (the stuck in the past gag, and Alan telling his younger self he's in Cardiff: "Do you live in Cardiff?" "God no!"), Wales seemed to come up as a reference quite a lot throughout, for example being where Alan's friend was taking his caravan. That may just be the same in every show though.
[close]

Perfectly pitched show, I think. Spot-on for the size of the venues. Just properly fun and breathless in its gagrate. I was nervous about the audience, but it was a great atmosphere.

Yeah just got back from Cardiff one and most of the references were little crowd pleasers but still funny, like
Spoiler alert
the gag about calling his friend Allan by pronouncing the double l.
[close]

peteprodge

It's been a week and I'm not sure some of you have picked up on this from The Grauniad, which indicates there may be no more This Time with Alan Partridge.

Alan Partridge: "...when the Guardian asked me to interview the controversial funnyman, I jumped at the chance – and not just because I've been replaced by a younger presenter on the BBC's magazine show This Time"

No longer on North Norfolk Digital, no longer on BBC prime time... that's what I'm assuming about the Alan Partridge Universe at this point in time. Effectively, it's like it's a reset to IAP series 2 status, isn't it?

JamesTC

He left This Time at the end of Series 2 in a relatively healthy position, career wise.

That being said, I'd love a modern era Partridge version of I'm Alan Partridge.

Glyn

Also saw this last night and thought it was great. Some little bits that really got to me
Spoiler alert
The Lady Brittania drawing

A line that got a bit lost during the chat with future Alan : 'it's like a mixture of a Dalek and Stephen Hawking, actually forget that I'm just describing Davros'

The proportional representation dance routine

Another disturbing depiction of schoolboy Alan.

'Leather transformer'
[close]

checkoutgirl

Quote from: JamesTC on May 20, 2022, 12:51:47 PMHe left This Time at the end of Series 2 in a relatively healthy position, career wise.

He walked out of the studio unscripted in a Network homage, didn't he? They could easily spin that either way. Either it went down a storm and he gets his own series on telly or it was rank insubordination and back to regional radio for you Alan.

BritishHobo

Yeah they did end it on "They won't let me back in the BBC!" but it could go either way. That travel documentary that's been in the works for ages was meant to be on the BBC, right? Suppose if they're still getting commissions they wouldn't want to say no just for the sake of the story.

Ferris

Good article that. I did clock the "end of TTWAP" reference but thought it might be spun either way so not sure it counts as confirmation. He's doing that documentary series for the BBC so we're not quite at IAP levels.

I've had this stuck in my head all week though, you can hear the delivery:

QuoteThe waiter arrives. I order the beef burger, described on the menu as the "ham" burger [sic]. Coogan orders the plant-based burger. Is this a metaphor for Coogan's attempts to look like something he's not? I ask him why he doesn't order the beef burger, which is the same price and nicer.

petril

I love when Alan does that kind of ignorance. especially because if it was the other way round he'd be straight on to German towns to smug it up

Malcy

It's looking like I won't be able to make the Edinburgh gig next week thanks to the Scotrail going into the hands of the government.

I'm fuming. Almost a year since I booked it and been so looking forward to it.

I may have the chance of a ticket for cheap in the shitty Hydro in Glasgow but I purposely booked Edinburgh for the better venue.

This country...

Just got an email to say that tomorrow night's show in Bournemouth has been postponed as Steve Coogan has laryngitis.

This evening's Cardiff show cancelled too.

DoesNotFollow

More like Laryn(x) Partridge! We were supposed to be going to the Bomo one tonight - my partner's more upset than I am!

Malcy

Any other cancellations likely to be announced? I don't know how long he'd likely be told to rest his voice for before starting again.

The Lurker

Wezzo

Bournemouth one's not being rescheduled either, just had an email. Gutted :(