Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:50:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Your Favourite Spinal Tap moments

Started by kalowski, May 27, 2022, 09:41:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glebe

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on May 28, 2022, 07:55:06 PMPossibly apocryphal, but I once read that when Ozzy Osbourne saw it and thought the filmmakers had been spying on him.

He hates it apparently. Meanwhile, another gem:

PlanktonSideburns

Water's a drug isn't it?

Splash it on your face in the morning, wakes you up

LORD BAD VIBE

"Well, I'm sure I'd feel much worse about it if I wasn't under such heavy sedation, but, y'know..."

And Ian's "Fucking poofter!" on the phone to Eton-Hogg and David St Hubbins' jaw drop.

badaids

Many years ago my band played the Clapham Grand. The backstage was massive and somehow we got split up and lost as we headed out onto the stage.

One of the others rang my mobile to find out where we were and told me to jog to the left a little about thirty feet. I couldn't resist saying we haven't got time for that and hanging up.

kalowski

You shoulda seen the cover they wanted to do.  It wasn't a glove, believe me.

The Mollusk

"And so say all of us, Tap into America!"

That line is so wonderfully cringey, the exact opposite of anything a rock star would say when celebrating embarking on a massive tour. The film does a fantastic job of depicting Spinal Tap as goofy and childlike, yet so steadfast in doing what they love to the best of their abilities despite being undermined by just about everyone else they encounter. Useless PR (Artie Fufkin), cold and uncaring bureaucracy (Bobbi Fleckman), more successful artists (Duke Fame), out of touch venue owners (the Colonel played by Fred Willard, the place that bills them after the puppet show on the boards), plus shit loads of bad press and negative reviews. In spite of that, though, the band remains completely undeterred and just keeps trudging on the only way they know how.

It's incredible really that the documentary Anvil! The Story of Anvil mirrors so much of these circumstances happening to a real life band across three decades, during the time when This is Spinal Tap was made. The eventual redemption for both Anvil and Spinal Tap is so fucking heart-warming and joyous, and I'm not ashamed to say I cry every time I watch the Anvil docco.

kalowski

Fred Willard is one of the absolute stars if this film. That scene is joy from start to finish.
"These haircuts wouldn't pass military muster, believe me."

Fabian Thomsett

We're very lucky in the band in that we have two visionaries - David and Nigel. They're like poets, like Shelley and Byron. They're two distinct types of visionaries; it's like fire and ice, basically. I feel my role in the band is to be somewhere in the middle of that, kind of like lukewarm water.

famethrowa

Quote from: The Mollusk on May 29, 2022, 12:28:52 PM"And so say all of us, Tap into America!"

That line is so wonderfully cringey, the exact opposite of anything a rock star would say when celebrating embarking on a massive tour.

But it's exactly what an aging, out of touch company man would say?

The Mollusk

Quote from: famethrowa on May 29, 2022, 12:40:19 PMBut it's exactly what an aging, out of touch company man would say?

That's the point I was making, sorry if it wasn't clear.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: kalowski on May 29, 2022, 11:08:23 AMYou shoulda seen the cover they wanted to do.  It wasn't a glove, believe me.

DSH: It was a joke, if we were serious, if we were saying yes, she should be made to smell the glove, but it's all a joke...
NT: Well no, she should be made to smell the glove...
DSH: Yeah, but not you know, over and over again.

The Bumlord

Quote from: The Mollusk on May 29, 2022, 12:28:52 PMIt's incredible really that the documentary Anvil! The Story of Anvil mirrors so much of these circumstances happening to a real life band across three decades, during the time when This is Spinal Tap was made. The eventual redemption for both Anvil and Spinal Tap is so fucking heart-warming and joyous, and I'm not ashamed to say I cry every time I watch the Anvil docco.

And there's the weird coincidence of the drummer's name being Robb Reiner.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

from a deleted scene, tuning during soundcheck after Nigel's left

David: Gimme an A would you?
Viv: Nigel always asked for an E!

The Mollusk

Quote from: The Bumlord on May 29, 2022, 02:49:12 PMAnd there's the weird coincidence of the drummer's name being Robb Reiner.

Flipping heck never clocked that!

An tSaoi

As long as there's sex and drugs, I can do without the rock & roll.

Glebe

If we can include the Tap Extended Universe, from their Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert appearance:

"And so in (Freddie Mercury's) honour, we would like to cut our set short by about 35 songs."

"We believe Freddie would have wanted it this way."

Rich Uncle Skeleton

love Nigel's delivery of that line. was just watching that yesterday along with a decent enough Jonathan Ross appearance in 1992

great performance all round (the one above). love Ric Shrimpton's punching the air at the end, must've been great fun just going onstage at Wembley nailing that one song and fucking off. a drummer now actually dead as of this month sadly. :/

McChesney Duntz

Quote from: kalowski on May 29, 2022, 12:31:30 PMFred Willard is one of the absolute stars if this film. That scene is joy from start to finish.
"These haircuts wouldn't pass military muster, believe me."

It's the lines after that that kill, though - "I'd better not stand too close, they'll think I'm part of the band. I'm joking, of course."

That's one of the few scenes in it (Artie Fufkin's "kick this ass for a man! I'm not asking, I'm telling!" being another) where the Tapsters are visibly trying to hold in their hysterics. Willard was the king of blithe cluelessness.

kalowski

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on May 29, 2022, 04:34:48 PMIt's the lines after that that kill, though - "I'd better not stand too close, they'll think I'm part of the band. I'm joking, of course.".l
I had it in the opening post. I love everything about that scene.
QuoteLt Hookstratten: I would like to get the playing on about 1900 hours, if that is satisfactory?
Derek: When will that be?
Lt Hookstratten: I make it now it is about 1830 hours.
Derek: So that's what? about 50 hours?
David: 120 hours?
Lt Hookstratten: That's actually about 30 minutes, about a half hour,

McChesney Duntz

Quote from: kalowski on May 29, 2022, 05:09:28 PMI had it in the opening post. I love everything about that scene.

Indeed you did. Still, good enough to be mentioned twice.

Another tiny bit that still amuses: the way Ian says "sex-IST." Tony Hendra was inspired casting there, for sure. Pity about the whole daughter-molestation thing.

Fabian Thomsett

Well, I don't really think that the end can be assessed as of itself as being the end because what does the end feel like? It's like saying when you try to extrapolate the end of the universe, you say, if the universe is indeed infinite, then how - what does that mean? How far is all the way, and then if it stops, what's stopping it, and what's behind what's stopping it? So, what's the end, you know, is my question to you.

Des Wigwam

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on May 29, 2022, 04:34:48 PMIt's the lines after that that kill, though - "I'd better not stand too close, they'll think I'm part of the band. I'm joking, of course."

That's one of the few scenes in it (Artie Fufkin's "kick this ass for a man! I'm not asking, I'm telling!" being another) where the Tapsters are visibly trying to hold in their hysterics. Willard was the king of blithe cluelessness.

Fred Willard saying "...I'm just joking of course" will never not make me laugh. It's something I add on silently and more annoyingly out loud to so many everyday utterances.

Am I right that it's almost a catchphrase of his. I seem to remember it in all sorts of things - even Modern Parents where he played Phil's father - and yet never specifically. Just to remove any pleasure from it - is it the fact that he doesn't even pause between the statement and the qualifier and the next statement that makes it so good? It's fantastic.

His blithe stream of consciousness is always amazing (I had to look blithe up even though I was sure I knew the word).

God, I haven't seen Spinal Tap for ages. I hope that's the full film a page or so back.

kalowski

"It was not pleasant to be part of the comedy on stage.  Backstage, perhaps, it was very amusing."
"Maybe we just fix the choreography.  Keep the dwarf clear."

wrec

"Before I met Jeanine my life was cosmically in shambles. I was using bits and pieces of whatever Eastern philosophies happened to drift through my transom".

The scene has been mentioned already but in the post-Stonehenge scene, Derek's "Can I raise a practical question at this point" always slays me.

famethrowa

How many planets have you destroyed, Viv?

BJBMK2

Quote from: famethrowa on May 30, 2022, 12:08:51 AMHow many planets have you destroyed, Viv?

I have more then once uttered "quite exciting, this computer magic", when playing on the video games they have now these days.

idunnosomename

People think there are only five members of Spinal Tap... but... they're wrong.

Could we turn up the house lights please?

That was the cue to turn up the house lights so we can tell the audience they're the sixth member of the freakin' group!

We are trying to put a tiny thrill into their gray little lives.

Oh, forget it. Turn on the lasers.

Aah! My vision.

That's it. Show's over.

Goodnight Springden! there will be no encores!

famethrowa

Oh yes! One quote I say way too often: this is a rock concert, not the bleedin.... splish splash show

trabuch

I just love Ed Begley Jr as the drummer in the Clansmen