Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,481
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 04:05:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Beatles Covers: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Started by DrGreggles, May 29, 2022, 12:28:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

Was compiling a list for a thing, so thought I'd start a thread.

Looking for official releases really, but wanted to flag this up:

the science eel

my favourite

I want to cuddle this man forever

the science eel

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Neomod

Sammy's done some great covers. In The Ghetto and Wichita Lineman are boss but this medley just doesn't work.

Lordofthefiles

Gradual Decline

I like this

"Bustin' my heart" from the "Jet Buster" Soundtrack sounds like it might have been a subconscious ripoff - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSQLJZGRyI4&t=222s

The Mollusk

Yes it is exactly what you think it'll be and yes it's great

Rich Uncle Skeleton

non capisco

Quote from: The Mollusk on May 29, 2022, 04:26:25 PM

Yes it is exactly what you think it'll be and yes it's great

Lost it at the first "oooooooh!". What is it that makes this great and that Simon Cowell Superdog thing from the 80's awful? They're the same thing!

Nice to hear Blue Tulip Rose Read getting some work, anyway.

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: the science eel on May 29, 2022, 01:20:45 PMmy favourite

I want to cuddle this man forever

sensational.

Stevie's We Can Work It Out is my favourite, maybe my favourite pop cover full stop.

Famous Mortimer

When I used to collect everything with Husker Du's name attached (well, I still do, I guess, but it's a mostly completed collection now) I found this, which is a banger.

McChesney Duntz

And this apparently immediately preceded the above...

Video Game Fan 2000

Sparks I Want To Hold Your Hand is an odd one, it seems like a joke - trying to make their version of the typical bad/muzak Beatles cover - and its very funny as that, its even definitive because it has every bad Beatles cover cliché, but because its fucking Sparks and Russell is giving it the whole time it still works as a good cover

Oasis I am the Walrus is a real fucking stinker. I don't think anyone should be touching that song or Helter Skelter

Bernice

A lot of people seem to have a low tolerance for bossa nova but I like Caetano Veloso's Eleanor Rigby

Not a Beatle's cover, but I love Donnie Hathaway's cover of Jealous Guy.

Video Game Fan 2000

Caetano Veloso can do whatever he wants to the Beatles, fuck it hugely sentimental cloying Hey Jude and its still good. I like every Beatles cover by him that I've heard

bakabaka

The very good...

Phil Manzanera, Brian Eno and friends (aka 801) nailed it on this version of tomorrow Never Knows:

bushwick

Not sure if this is good or not, not heard it since I was 11. Didn't know it was a cover to begin with, had never heard the original, I just liked any heavy metal and the Whitesnake album was three quid:

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on May 29, 2022, 05:56:24 PMOasis I am the Walrus is a real fucking stinker. I don't think anyone should be touching that song or Helter Skelter

I quite like the Siouxsie and the Banshees version of the latter, but the Mötley Crüe, U2 and Oasis versions stink. "This is a song Charles Manson stole from the Beatles. We're stealing it back." Fuck off, Bono. Charles Manson should've broken out and taken it back from him.

willbo

nu/industrial metal band Orgy did an atmospheric Elanor Rigby which I liked at the time

Brundle-Fly

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 29, 2022, 09:34:18 PM

WHAT? hat utterly fucked. Joe Pesci the singer...

look at him, imagine being the engineer or something on that session..."oo I think maybe you should try that one again Joe"  never seen again!

Famous Mortimer

Talking of Siouxsie and the Banshees, they did a great version of "Dear Prudence":