Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:08:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Barry (HBO comedy)

Started by c, February 26, 2019, 08:59:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveh

The supporting cast are terrific in this too. Anthony Carrigan in particular comes across as really enjoying the part without it getting too knowing, if that makes sense.

Also the sound design in the chase sequence was superb, the tiny fragments of conversation and other noises from the stopped cars that must have taken ages to knit together.

Inspector Norse

Just caught the latest one and to echo others, that chase sequence was one of the best things I've seen on TV recently. The attention to detail and the ability to consistently throw in these clever little touches and ideas even in the background just keep getting better.

Mobius

Another great episode. An interesting idea to have the main character not say a single word!

Sarah Goldberg (Sally) is a very good actor isn't she

Pimhole

Yes, Sarah Goldberg - that one scene with her in the lift was incredible. In another scene though her Canadian accent came through a bit when she had to say "about" a few times in a row.

I really think Fuches might be the most malevolent character I've seen in anything. I hate him so much. As likeable and watchable as he has been, at this point he's done so many terrible things that it's become impossible to root for him in any way, which may become a problem. I do like that we still know very little about his past. Was he a friend of Barry's father or something?

Mobius

Yeah I think in an early episode he said he was a friend of the family or Barry's father, and I think Barry described him as an uncle early on before they fell out.

But they haven't really gone into much detail about his background or skills.

I would guess maybe Barry's dad was also military, with Fuches?

up_the_hampipe

Another great episode, so visually captivating. The street becoming a beach was really cool. Echo the praise for Sarah Goldberg, she really knocked it out of the park this week especially. I wonder if she's going to take Barry up on his offer for twisted revenge.

On the aforementioned Prestige podcast, Hader actually warned listeners that next week's finale is really intense. He said one of the post-production guys took much longer than usual to complete work on the episode because he had to keep taking breathers.

Mobius

Oh didn't realise last week was the final episode. Wonder if it'll be a long one?

Yeah, reckon we're definitely losing someone... probably Fuches or Hank?

Ron Superior

I remember in the first season thinking Sarah Goldberg was a bit nothingy, nothing very interesting about her. I was either very wrong or that was an intentional choice on her part because she's been phenomenal in what she's done with that character.

Quick question about Fuches.

Spoiler alert
why would he not tell the investigator about Barry when he asked? Is it purely because he doesn't want Barry taken in because he wants to deal with him himself?
[close]

kngen

Quote from: Ron Superior on June 07, 2022, 12:18:54 PMI remember in the first season thinking Sarah Goldberg was a bit nothingy, nothing very interesting about her. I was either very wrong or that was an intentional choice on her part because she's been phenomenal in what she's done with that character.

I think it was in either season 1 or 2 where she gave a pained extended monologue about the injustice of being a female actor and having to give pained extended monologues at auditions1, which made me realise two things:

1) This is a very smart programme, and I need to be paying attention more.

2) Fucking hell, she's really good (whereas I was indifferent up to that point, much the same as yourself).

I'm really glad people have picked up on the incredible sound design in the chase sequence in the last episode, too. First time round, I watched it on my tablet and, even then, it leapt out at me - like nothing I've ever encountered in TV or movies before, but presumably that's exactly what it sounds like to be a motorcyclist splitting lanes in a gridlocked city.

Looking forward to watching the whole thing again after next week's finale.

1Or something very meta along those lines.

kngen

Haven't watched this yet, but that very chase scene gets analysed in Variety's Making a Scene series:

"There will be a great lane-splitting sequence."

Ron Superior

In case the video in that article didn't work for anyone, I couldn't get it to play, here's the link on YouTube:

brat-sampson

What a captivating and horrifying finale. God damn, I wasn't ready.

Show of the year.

Mobius

Going to watch the last episode shortly, feel a bit sick knowing it's gonna be a big one judging from stuff the cast have said this week

Mobius

Damn! That was a great episode. Fucking intense.

Gonna be ages until the next series now :(

steveh

That was quite a tough watch. This season was outstanding.

Interesting interview with Bill Hader covering the finale, how the character has evolved and starting on season 4: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/bill-hader-barry-season-three-finale-interview-1235163938/.

QuoteI never felt that Barry was a hero. The biggest thing I felt that maybe you could relate to was someone was a murderer and try to not be a murderer, like a noble thing. The only thing he thinks that he's good at is killing people, and so he tries to be an actor to get in touch with himself. But as time has gone on, as you're writing a story and discovering more about him, it's become less about that and more about watching someone with trauma and someone make really awful decisions, and then try to undo those decisions. One of the big lines of episode eight is him telling Sally, "I did this." He wishes he could take her burden, but you can't do that. The more complicated and gray it is, the more interesting it is for me. People will come up to me and go, "I just love Barry." (Laughs.) It's very strange. He kills people.

Ron Superior

Quick question off the back of the finalé:

Spoiler alert
does Cristobal die?
[close]

And, more generally:

Spoiler alert
do you think Barry being arrested is a way to intentionally make him less of a focus for season 4 as so many of the other characters are going in a darker direction, so next season can focus more on them? Surely the only option for Barry himself next season is trial and reckoning with himself?
[close]

Quote from: Ron Superior on June 14, 2022, 02:04:26 PMQuick question off the back of the finalé:

Spoiler alert
does Cristobal die?
[close]

And, more generally:

Spoiler alert
do you think Barry being arrested is a way to intentionally make him less of a focus for season 4 as so many of the other characters are going in a darker direction, so next season can focus more on them? Surely the only option for Barry himself next season is trial and reckoning with himself?
[close]

Spoiler alert
Since Hader's focus seems to be more of the directing side, this seems likely. Throughout the season I was wondering how they could possibly do a fourth season, since they were backing themselves into a corner where Barry roaming free was no longer possible.
[close]

Ron Superior

Spoiler alert
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. He's planning to direct every episode next season so fair enough.

It would have been a massive disservice to the story if he'd somehow managed to evade everyone at the end of this season, so I think it was handled brilliantly.
[close]

EOLAN

Just in to episode one of the new season. The scenes with Barry in the dessert by the withered tree. Knew it was a homage to something and had Bergman on the mind. Then it came to me that they were referencing the Grim Reaper scene from Monty Oython's The Meaning of Life (which scene is heavily Bergman influenced).

Anyway may need to rewatch the episode before jumping ahead as I was so caught up by that.