Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:36:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Alan Partridge: Stratagem

Started by Magnum Valentino, April 23, 2022, 12:12:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Menu

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on June 02, 2022, 11:24:07 PM

GIBBONSES!  Gibbonses. Gibbonses Gibbonses Gibbonses Gibbonses Gibbonses Gibbonses Gibbonses Gibbonses Gibbonses Gibbonses Gibbonses Gibbonses Gibbonses Gibbonses Gibbonses.  Their names are Rob Gibbons and Neil Gibbons.

Sorry, Alec.

shoulders

Quote from: Menu on June 02, 2022, 09:57:57 PMWas it the 2008 tour where he hadn't even learnt his lines?

Certainly by mid-tour that had been ironed out. Which is still bad but at least the show improved.

Bad review of Stratagem here:

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/comedy/reviews/alan-partridge-review-stratagem-o2-arena-b2091801.html

Billy

I'm at this tonight and the upper levels are all curtained off, with the few bookings up there given free upgrades lower down - even my tickets in the fairly close 10x blocks were only £25 each (way cheaper than other days) with others as low as £18. This also meant we sped through doors in five minutes which was a relief given other reports.

At the interval and enjoying it so far, nice to escape from all the jubilee bollocks.

AngryGazelle

Quote from: Menu on June 02, 2022, 09:58:49 PMHow did the gibbons react during it? I assume they're credited as writers?

I wasn't watching them much once it all started but they looked fairly relaxed.

Menu

Quote from: shoulders on June 03, 2022, 07:33:21 AMCertainly by mid-tour that had been ironed out. Which is still bad but at least the show improved.

Bad review of Stratagem here:

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/comedy/reviews/alan-partridge-review-stratagem-o2-arena-b2091801.html

Two of my friends went to one of the gigs where he hadn't learned his lines and said it was painful. I'd actually have liked to have seen that. I still can't get my head around Coogan not being a consummate professional. I wonder what the problem was.

ETA: I think it was their first date! They are now married with a kid. Perhaps rank amateurism is some kind of aphrodisiac?

Menu

Quote from: AngryGazelle on June 03, 2022, 10:49:29 PMI wasn't watching them much once it all started but they looked fairly relaxed.

Coincidentally that's probably how I'd have looked if I'd been there.

Menu

Quote from: Billy on June 03, 2022, 09:14:25 PMI'm at this tonight and the upper levels are all curtained off, with the few bookings up there given free upgrades lower down - even my tickets in the fairly close 10x blocks were only £25 each (way cheaper than other days) with others as low as £18. This also meant we sped through doors in five minutes which was a relief given other reports.

At the interval and enjoying it so far, nice to escape from all the jubilee bollocks.

Any theories as to why sales are so poor? Is Partridge just not as popular as we thought? How were his TTWAP BBC1 ratings?

SweetPomPom

Quote from: Menu on June 04, 2022, 01:11:15 AMAny theories as to why sales are so poor? Is Partridge just not as popular as we thought? How were his TTWAP BBC1 ratings?

He's probably sold about 50000 in London over 3 nights. Not many that could do that.

jimboslice

Quote from: Menu on June 04, 2022, 01:11:15 AMAny theories as to why sales are so poor? Is Partridge just not as popular as we thought? How were his TTWAP BBC1 ratings?

Sold under expectation elsewhere too. Really good seats were only £20 for the Sunday in Leeds (Saturday sold well at full whack though).

Malcy

The Glasgow gigs were a strange one. They added a second date due to demand but the demand must not really have been much more as when he was on Sat Night Takeaway he mentioned 'come see me in Glasgow' but didn't really mention anywhere else I don't think.

Menu

Yes I'm sure they are good sales but clearly not as much as they were hoping. Would it have made money? Films have to double their cost before breaking even apparently.

neveragain

I've seen the social media posts of some idiots saying they've gone off Coogan "coz of Savile".

Snrub

In terms of popularity, Partridge is quite a hard one to get a grip on. He's hardly cult, but I wouldn't class him as properly mainstream either. He has mainstream recognition but not a true mainstream following - it really is marmite for a lot of people.

I think Partridge in arenas is a natural follow on from This Time being on BBC One. It just wasn't a BBC One show, even though I guess it was there because it was parodying a BBC One show or it needed a BBC One budget to get made. An interesting step up considering the last tv Partridge projects were on Sky Atlantic (not even Sky One). The ratings for This Time I don't think were anything special considering how known a comedy name Partridge is.

Partridge is probably slightly too popular to do theatres but not popular enough for arenas. For tv substitute theatres for BBC 2 and arenas for BBC1.

Ousthouse aside, I'd be interested to see where the next Partridge project lands.

Menu

Quote from: Snrub on June 04, 2022, 11:35:00 PMIn terms of popularity, Partridge is quite a hard one to get a grip on. He's hardly cult, but I wouldn't class him as properly mainstream either. He has mainstream recognition but not a true mainstream following - it really is marmite for a lot of people.

I think Partridge in arenas is a natural follow on from This Time being on BBC One. It just wasn't a BBC One show, even though I guess it was there because it was parodying a BBC One show or it needed a BBC One budget to get made. An interesting step up considering the last tv Partridge projects were on Sky Atlantic (not even Sky One). The ratings for This Time I don't think were anything special considering how known a comedy name Partridge is.

Partridge is probably slightly too popular to do theatres but not popular enough for arenas. For tv substitute theatres for BBC 2 and arenas for BBC1.

Ousthouse aside, I'd be interested to see where the next Partridge project lands.

Really interesting, thank you. I guess the FTOH numbers must have been good for Audible to want a second series. Also I was thinking how badly Twitter reacted to his appearance on Ant and Dec. It was pretty hostile. Although Twitter isn't representative of anything at all, but I'd never seen negativity to Partridge before. Only love or indifference.

amateur

Quote from: Snrub on June 04, 2022, 11:35:00 PMI think Partridge in arenas is a natural follow on from This Time being on BBC One. It just wasn't a BBC One show, even though I guess it was there because it was parodying a BBC One show or it needed a BBC One budget to get made. An interesting step up considering the last tv Partridge projects were on Sky Atlantic (not even Sky One).

Sky Atlantic has been Sky's prestige channel for a while now, so it was definitely a big deal for them in that respect. In and amongst your Game Of Thrones and that.

Snrub

Quote from: amateur on June 05, 2022, 10:22:47 AMSky Atlantic has been Sky's prestige channel for a while now, so it was definitely a big deal for them in that respect. In and amongst your Game Of Thrones and that.

Oh yeah totally, but Game of Thrones aside, but my point (which probably isnt articulated well) is stuff isn't really on there because it wins ratings and has mass market appeal

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: Snrub on June 04, 2022, 11:35:00 PMPartridge is probably slightly too popular to do theatres but not popular enough for arenas. For tv substitute theatres for BBC 2 and arenas for BBC1.

Many theatres are quite large, and would seat a good number of people. I wonder if it's to do with the economics of touring a show. He'll not make enough from packed out theatres without having dozens of dates. Sad if true.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on June 05, 2022, 01:55:48 PMMany theatres are quite large, and would seat a good number of people. I wonder if it's to do with the economics of touring a show. He'll not make enough from packed out theatres without having dozens of dates. Sad if true.

The Edinburgh Playhouse is the UK's second-largest theatre- only the Hammersmith Apollo is bigger. I was surprised to learn this as the Playhouse only seats 3,000. Good size for Partridge, you're not wrong there, but there are surprisingly few really big theatres. The Crucible seats just under 1,000 at full capacity, the Barbican theatre isn't much over 1,000.

Quote from: Snrub on June 04, 2022, 11:35:00 PMPartridge is probably slightly too popular to do theatres but not popular enough for arenas.

Yeah, this.

Menu

Quote from: Blue Jam on June 05, 2022, 08:33:42 PMThe Crucible seats just under 1,000 at full capacity

But would Alan cope with the pressure of the one-table set-up?

chip

Quote from: Menu on June 06, 2022, 02:04:19 AMBut would Alan cope with the pressure of the one-table set-up?

It's an extender

Had my refund for his Bournemouth show through, minus £3 for the booking fee because of course they fucking would.

Might sue Coogan for £3 in small claims court.

mjwilson

Quote from: jimboslice on June 04, 2022, 11:39:45 AMSold under expectation elsewhere too.

I didn't go (in Manchester) because tickets were around £80 when I checked. I would have happily paid normal amounts of money.

The Lurker

Wouldn't mind seeing it again. Lovely stuff.

Malcy

Des Wigwam

Just saw this announcement.

For those who've seen it - do you think it will work as well / better on the screen? I quite enjoyed Less Successful Characters because the cameras could get quite tight on the performance where needed and always assumed I might not enjoy it as much at a big venue as I'd miss out on the little gags that are captured and brought out in an edit.

BritishHobo

I think so. They had two big screens with close-ups of the action, and I ended up watching them more than I expected, as they were the only way to see all the Partridge expressions and mannerisms.

SweetPomPom

Quote from: Des Wigwam on June 24, 2022, 11:14:01 AMJust saw this announcement.

For those who've seen it - do you think it will work as well / better on the screen? I quite enjoyed Less Successful Characters because the cameras could get quite tight on the performance where needed and always assumed I might not enjoy it as much at a big venue as I'd miss out on the little gags that are captured and brought out in an edit.

I really enjoyed the Oz documentary of the Less Successful characters show but thought the standard live show dvd just showed all the issues with it being under-written in loads of places.

Be interesting how they fill in the audience noise for Strategem, must have been impossible to mic properly.