Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:00:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

From The Oasthouse with Alan Partridge - Series 2

Started by Snrub, May 31, 2022, 10:29:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnum Valentino

Yeah, that bloke also makes reference to Sunderland where we know Michael's brother lives.

Menu

Quote from: Dave The Triffids on June 02, 2022, 08:30:17 AMWhat's also curious about this is that in one of the later This Time episodes, the Geordie/Mackem bloke who Alan briefly interviews is also wearing a tooth badge.  When Alan asks where he got it, the bloke says (something like) "..from my mate, Michael".

Of all the names they could have chosen, surely it's no coincidence they went for Michael?

Oooooh!

Menu

One of the best things about IAP commentaries is that the bloke who plays Michael is REALLY posh.

And whoever said up thread that the 'in-character' IAP1 commentary is bad is correct. It's abysmal. Felicity Montagu can't improvised and they've obviously barely prepared anything. Coogan sounds pissed off. Their act is really poor.

And the KMKY ones are just as bad.

TommyTurnips

I tried to watch that in-character commentary of I'm Alan Partridge years ago but switched off when the characters started talking about the programme as if it was a fly on the wall documentary, when it quite clearly is a regular sitcom that doesn't break the fourth wall.

kalowski

Very excited about this. Been working through series 1 it with the kids and we've been falling about. I think I'm the person mentioned above who wrote about
Alan running. Coogan is absolutely fantastic at that, especially when he jumps the wall. It's basically an out of breath man talking, but it's hilarious.

markburgle

Quote from: TommyTurnips on June 03, 2022, 02:46:47 PMI tried to watch that in-character commentary of I'm Alan Partridge years ago but switched off when the characters started talking about the programme as if it was a fly on the wall documentary, when it quite clearly is a regular sitcom that doesn't break the fourth wall.

They refer to it as a docu-drama reennactment, with the two of them as themselves and everyone else played by actors. I like it, it's obviously not stellar and doesn't fully make sense but it's 3 hours of low-stakes Alan and I'm happy it exists

willbo

I remember getting the DVD and being so shocked that an in-character commentary track existed that it never occurred to me to judge it as good or bad quality.

Menu

Quote from: kalowski on June 03, 2022, 04:47:48 PMVery excited about this. Been working through series 1 it with the kids and we've been falling about. I think I'm the person mentioned above who wrote about
Alan running. Coogan is absolutely fantastic at that, especially when he jumps the wall. It's basically an out of breath man talking, but it's hilarious.

I love it. There's a bit where he just sort of wheezes instead of speaking which is sublime - you probably know the bit I mean. I think that 2 minutes is one of my favourite Partridge scenes.

Menu

Quote from: markburgle on June 03, 2022, 05:00:42 PMThey refer to it as a docu-drama reennactment, with the two of them as themselves and everyone else played by actors. I like it, it's obviously not stellar and doesn't fully make sense but it's 3 hours of low-stakes Alan and I'm happy it exists

Yes I'm happy it exists too - which is coincidentally how someone described TTWAP to me - but it's still surprisingly poor. Just like TTWAP.

I think the mistake that's made - apart from lack of preparation - is, as you say, the decision to conceptualise IAP1 as the BBC re-enacting real events but having the other protagonists(apart from Alan and Lynn) being played by actors. I mean, where do you even start with that? Just say it was a fly on the wall documentary! That makes far more sense and it would allow Alan to slag off everyone else, complain about the camera crew, comically deny things happened even though we can all see them happening in front of our eyes, etc etc. It's like they deliberately sabotage themselves and then have to spend three hours trying to get out of it. Very odd.

But, er, yes, I do sometimes put it on every now and then. I just love having Alan talk to me.

Menu

Quote from: willbo on June 03, 2022, 06:24:48 PMI remember getting the DVD and being so shocked that an in-character commentary track existed that it never occurred to me to judge it as good or bad quality.

It actually starts quite well but quickly descends into Lynn commenting on people's ties, while Alan makes grunting noises. Which admittedly does sound quite funny.

Crenners

Quote from: Martin Van Buren Stan on May 31, 2022, 05:37:25 PMYeah, the recent stuff makes early partridge look embarrassing really. The Day Today was good as was IAP1 but everything else from that period seems cringe in comparison.

The word 'cringe' as an adjective is already cringe, but go off, cring.

QDRPHNC

I laughed very loud last night, after he chins himself in the spa and tries to say "podcast" with a broken mouth.

McDead

Quote from: QDRPHNC on June 04, 2022, 01:52:53 PMI laughed very loud last night, after he chins himself in the spa and tries to say "podcast" with a broken mouth.

That's a great bit. The sound effect of him chinning himself on the sink sounds like two billiard balls smacking into each other and it never fails to make me wince.

Quote from: Menu on June 04, 2022, 02:48:41 AMI love it. There's a bit where he just sort of wheezes instead of speaking which is sublime - you probably know the bit I mean. I think that 2 minutes is one of my favourite Partridge scenes.

"Sponsored by MilLeTtS"

Ferris

Laughed at this:

Quote"I'm just waiting to hear from Audible as they've yet to say they definitely want a second series. I'm not worried. It's just that they said they'd call and thus far they haven't. It's fine. They've not not called. They've just not called."

Excited for new Oasthouse because it's really top-tier partridge.

Immensely enjoyed the first series but I do so wish there was a version available where the theme tune was cut out...its an amusing piece of music , but as my preferred method of listening is lying in bed lulling in and out of sleep it gets immensely grating and just a little too intense haha

Menu

Quote from: Misspent Boners on June 05, 2022, 12:18:19 AMImmensely enjoyed the first series but I do so wish there was a version available where the theme tune was cut out...its an amusing piece of music , but as my preferred method of listening is lying in bed lulling in and out of sleep it gets immensely grating and just a little too intense haha

Ha ha! Me too. I have the same problem with The Great Courses. STOP PLAYING SHIT CLASSICAL MUSIC AND FAKE APPLAUSE EVERY HALF AN HOUR.

Menu

Quote from: Misspent Boners on June 05, 2022, 12:18:19 AMImmensely enjoyed the first series but I do so wish there was a version available where the theme tune was cut out...its an amusing piece of music , but as my preferred method of listening is lying in bed lulling in and out of sleep it gets immensely grating and just a little too intense haha

There's a similar problem with the BRIAN BRIAN BRIAN BRIAN BRIAN BRIAN BRIAN bit in Nomad.

QDRPHNC

Yes! I hate the Brian bit for that exact reason.

Menu

I'm sure there's a similar bit in IP...WNTTAA but I can't think of it.

Menu

YOU'RE HIGH NOON YOU'RE HIGH NOON YOU'RE HIGH NOON YOU'RE HIGH NOON has also been known to impinge upon slumber in Menu Towers.

Menu

Quote from: Menu on June 06, 2022, 03:11:38 AMYOU'RE HIGH NOON YOU'RE HIGH NOON YOU'RE HIGH NOON YOU'RE HIGH NOON has also been known to impinge upon slumber in Menu Towers.

What a strange sentence.

Mobius

I'm watching Partridge on Comic Relief 1999 and he says he's marrying a Canadian woman in a few weeks. I guess that isn't canon

buttgammon

Quote from: Menu on June 06, 2022, 02:07:05 AMThere's a similar problem with the BRIAN BRIAN BRIAN BRIAN BRIAN BRIAN BRIAN bit in Nomad.

This has scared the hell out of me while I'm half-asleep on several occasions!

Ferris

Quote from: Mobius on June 06, 2022, 11:05:21 AMI'm watching Partridge on Comic Relief 1999 and he says he's marrying a Canadian woman in a few weeks. I guess that isn't canon

Seem to remember this was addressed at some point? Basically "it didn't work out" and that was it.

QDRPHNC

Maybe I'll do an abridged sleep edit. I've been meaning to do something similar with MMM for ages, make it audio only for bedtime listening.

Martin Van Buren Stan

Quote from: buttgammon on June 06, 2022, 11:23:29 AMThis has scared the hell out of me while I'm half-asleep on several occasions!

Same.

Captain Z

+1

Drifting off topic, but Partridge-adjecent, I have a similar problem with Tim Key's Late Night Poetry. The poems are perfect for drifting off to sleep, but the musical interludes jarr me right back out of it.

notjosh

Here's hoping series 2 of From the Oasthouse will just be 4 hours of lovely white noise.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Menu on June 02, 2022, 01:36:24 AMIsn't there an odd badge he's wearing in S2 as well? Which is never referred to so makes no sense. I assume there's already been about 6 threads discussing this....

QuoteSpeaking to The Guardian ahead of This Time's first series, he revealed that the badge represents 'a shadowy showbiz organisation' that he explained 'looks after' its members while doing philanthropic works – comparing it to the Freemasons.

Coogan went on to explain that it may never actually be mentioned on the show, but 'has been worked out and is authentic to the character'.

So, now you know.

DJ Bob Hoskins

Quote from: QDRPHNC on June 06, 2022, 02:25:32 PMMaybe I'll do an abridged sleep edit. I've been meaning to do something similar with MMM for ages, make it audio only for bedtime listening.

Same here, been pondering an audio rip for ages. The  majority of the material works perfectly well without video.