Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:54:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Your Favourite Spinal Tap moments

Started by kalowski, May 27, 2022, 09:41:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pink Gregory

"We're very popular in Bulgaria, and...what's that other garia?"

"Hungaria?"

"Hungaria, yeah"

Derek Smalls mouthing "I love you" during Listen (to what the Flower People say)

benjitz

Quote from: gilbertharding on May 27, 2022, 11:06:17 PM"I'm not co-managing this band with anyone. Especially not someone who dresses like an Australian's nightmare."

Not that I had any idea about what an Australia's nightmare might entail, it somehow seems such an exact description.

Quote from: Rob ReinerWe saw a thing where there were euphemisms for vomiting, for throwing up. Throwing a map was one. The Technicolor yawn, an Australian something or other, and we turned that into an Australian's nightmare.

From: https://www.bfi.org.uk/interviews/rob-reiner-how-we-made-this-spinal-tap

gilbertharding

The Late Mike Morris

"'The Gospel According to Spinal Tap' which prompts the question, on what day did God create Spinal Tap, and couldn't he have rested on that day too?"

The Late Mike Morris

Quote from: gilbertharding on June 08, 2022, 11:58:06 AMOooh!

I'm sorry I asked - it's ruined it a bit. Thanks though.

Was it just me that assumed it was meant as a slightly xenophobic joke about Australians supposedly lacking class?  As in, even an Australian would find her sleazy/tacky(?) 

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

gilbertharding

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on June 08, 2022, 02:48:25 PMThat's what I took it to mean.

Me too. Of course there's nothing wrong with xenophobic jokes*, especially ones about Australians.

neveragain

Quote from: QDRPHNC on May 28, 2022, 07:22:56 PMStone cold classic. The mockumentaries that followed in its wake never hit the same heights, did they? Waiting for Guffman, Best in Show, etc. are all really good, but they felt too tightly scripted to me. The genius of Tap is that they filmed it like a documentary, and it really feels like one.

I agree they don't beat Tap, but they weren't scripted per se. Guest's films were made up of lots of filmed improv.

QDRPHNC

Fair enough. Too tightly structured, I would amend that to.

Blumf

How about The Comic Strip Presents... Bad News films?

Jumblegraws

Quote from: The Late Mike Morris on June 08, 2022, 02:29:15 PMWas it just me that assumed it was meant as a slightly xenophobic joke about Australians supposedly lacking class?  As in, even an Australian would find her sleazy/tacky(?) 
I always assumed there must have been some stereotype about Australians disliking garish clothes or something, even though this didn't match my experiences of Australian culture (Round the Twist and Pugwall)

famethrowa

Quote from: The Late Mike Morris on June 08, 2022, 02:29:15 PMWas it just me that assumed it was meant as a slightly xenophobic joke about Australians supposedly lacking class?  As in, even an Australian would find her sleazy/tacky(?) 

That's exactly it. Reminds me of the guitarist (Martin Taylor?) whose rider specified that "Australian women with sunglasses on top of their head and phrasing everything as a question" were barred from the backstage. It's just another form of racism!

famethrowa

Quote from: Blumf on June 08, 2022, 05:54:39 PMHow about The Comic Strip Presents... Bad News films?

Love the Bad News. Didn't they precede Tap by just a few months? But a different beast altogether, more obvious punchlines, and it's about a bunch of yobby no-talents who never get anywhere beyond The Flying Horse (of all places), rather than a once-successful and talented group who can still pull a crowd.

LordMorgan

Hello? Sir Denis!
Hi. How are you?
Oh...
Fuckin' old poofter!
But it's really not that offensive,
Sir Denis! Come on!

That phone conversation fucking slays me.
Also, in the same scene when Bobbi is explaining exactly just why the cover is offensive, Ian repeating what she is saying back to her in the tone of , yeah so what's your point here. Brilliant.

badaids

Quote from: famethrowa on June 08, 2022, 11:52:57 PMLove the Bad News. Didn't they precede Tap by just a few months? But a different beast altogether, more obvious punchlines, and it's about a bunch of yobby no-talents who never get anywhere beyond The Flying Horse (of all places), rather than a once-successful and talented group who can still pull a crowd.

It's got some amazing lines in it that would slot right into Tap.

« I could play the whole of stairway to heaven by the age of 16. Jimmy Page didn't even write it until he was 21 ».

Pink Gregory

Imogen all the people,
Imogen if you can

famethrowa

So many gooduns.

"says sausaGES!!"

"Ohh you didn't let the dog in for free did you??"

"Quo, Saxon.... just loads of great bands actually"

"Extra saucy lady"

QDRPHNC

Burning looting raping shooting
Burning looting raping and a-shooting

famethrowa

Quote from: QDRPHNC on June 09, 2022, 10:26:02 AMBurning looting raping shooting
Burning looting raping and a-shooting

you haaave GOT to look MEAN!

badaids

On the album:

« Flap flap flap flap flap flap flap »

MrMrs

Quote from: dazed_and_bemused on May 28, 2022, 01:19:41 AMI do and will always respond to even the slightest criticism with "I'm just as God made me, sir". 

Me too. The delivery is... Superb.

I also regularly use Australian's nightmare.

kalowski

Quote from: badaids on June 09, 2022, 08:13:31 AMIt's got some amazing lines in it that would slot right into Tap.

« I could play the whole of stairway to heaven by the age of 16. Jimmy Page didn't even write it until he was 21 ».
The bit where Mayall is being followed by the camera and steps in the dog shit, takes his shoe off and put his stockinged foot back in the shit had me absolutely howling when I saw it. Perfect comic timing from Rik.
I think this was More Bad News.

Catalogue Trousers

Quote from: kalowski on June 10, 2022, 06:36:15 PMThe bit where Mayall is being followed by the camera and steps in the dog shit, takes his shoe off and put his stockinged foot back in the shit had me absolutely howling when I saw it. Perfect comic timing from Rik.
I think this was More Bad News.

'...Mum-mee!!!'

famethrowa

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on June 10, 2022, 11:47:00 PM'...Mum-mee!!!'

"I nearly had a drugs overdose..." *flicks hair, adjusts wig*

PowerButchi

Boston not being a big college town anyway.

Pink Gregory

Spider enthusiastically drumming along with his massive kit to his hippie girlfriend strumming Skip to My Lou

SweetPomPom

Ian's expression when Bobbi drops her "Money talks, bullshit walks"

"Do you have any idea how much it will cost to dress up the entire band as animals?"

"Too much fucking perspective"

McChesney Duntz

"People should be envying us."

"I envy us."

Catalogue Trousers

'It's on Frilly Pink, y'want to make something of it?...' *notices cardboard standee of Barry Manilow, punches it* '...I hate Barry Manilow.'

'Well, that is a surprise!'

neveragain

We've slipped into a tandem quoting situation here, I don't know whether I'm quoting Harry Shearer or Nigel Planer.