Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:29:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

From The Oasthouse with Alan Partridge - Series 2

Started by Snrub, May 31, 2022, 10:29:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Menu

Quote from: buttgammon on June 06, 2022, 11:23:29 AMThis has scared the hell out of me while I'm half-asleep on several occasions!

Me too! It really cuts through.

Menu

Quote from: Mobius on June 06, 2022, 11:05:21 AMI'm watching Partridge on Comic Relief 1999 and he says he's marrying a Canadian woman in a few weeks. I guess that isn't canon

Oooh glad you brought this up because that segment throws up a couple of weird things. I'm not sure what happened to the Canadian in canonical terms but I think, from a writing standpoint, Canada was changed to Ukraine, and she became Sonja. Not sure why Canada was ever chosen in the first place but obviously human trafficking is a much funnier subject.

The other interesting thing that I can think of now (I'm sure there's something else too) is that Carol's birth year is revealed to be 1943. This would make her 79 now. I have brought this up before on here but I think people were resentful of my knowledge had fallen asleep so I never got a discussion going. It's odd because he states he is 43 in IAP1(1997) and we have no reason to doubt that. Carol would have been 56 at that point if we abide by the 1999 segment. And I think this is prior to the assertion that they met at Uni so IP...WNTTAA does throw the 1999 Comic Relief segment under the bus. And even if the 43 is right, it means he's 68 now. Coogan isn't really playing him as a 68 year old. Possibly 61(like Ricky Gervais) but 68 is a stretch.

Erm......is anyone else still awake?

Should also say that the segment as a whole is one of the great Partridge things. Including Bryan Ferry's acting which is amusingly naturalistic. It's on YouTube.

Menu

Quote from: QDRPHNC on June 06, 2022, 02:25:32 PMMaybe I'll do an abridged sleep edit. I've been meaning to do something similar with MMM for ages, make it audio only for bedtime listening.

Would love to hear that if you ever do it. I've tried to listen to MMM as I fall asleep but the episodes keep coming to an end ffs.

Menu

Glebe

In the early '90s Carol died and came back to life along with other members of the living dead but this was never subsequently mentioned. What a swizz!

Menu

Re HZJ's post: I've got a feeling there's an allusion to the masons in some other modern Partridge thing? Possibly FTOH. I can't think though...

Menu

This awkward silence is what happens every time I bring up the fact that Carol was born in 1943. Why are you all so jealous of my deep knowledge of Alan Partridge?

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Glebe on June 07, 2022, 03:24:46 AMIn the early '90s Carol died and came back to life along with other members of the living dead but this was never subsequently mentioned. What a swizz!

Is it not referred to in "I Partridge"? That Chris had slipped him some LSD or something?

Menu

Quote from: jamiefairlie on June 09, 2022, 12:34:07 AMIs it not referred to in "I Partridge"? That Chris had slipped him some LSD or something?

Yes. It's definitely covered somewhere anyway.

Menu

Quote from: jamiefairlie on June 09, 2022, 12:34:07 AMIs it not referred to in "I Partridge"? That Chris had slipped him some LSD or something?

Hey, Jamie! What do you think of all this 'Carol being born in 1943' stuff? Pretty amazing isn't it? Your mind must be pretty blown right now?

You buzzing?

Mobius

Quote from: Menu on June 09, 2022, 12:26:35 AMThis awkward silence

It's their silence, don't fill it. (forgot rest of quote)

peteprodge

Hi guys, great thread.

Just wondering if anyone knows what year Alan Partridge's wife, Carol, was born in.

QDRPHNC

Doesn't surprise me that Carol is older, given that when they met Alan was a virgin and she'd been hymen-free for the best part of six years.

buttgammon

I can't remember exactly how this happened but I figured out during the live show that there are some inconsistencies with Alan's own age and date of birth; I had it down as 1955 but it was a different year in the live show for some reason.

Ferris

Quote from: peteprodge on June 09, 2022, 11:42:21 AMHi guys, great thread.

Just wondering if anyone knows what year Alan Partridge's wife, Carol, was born in.

Early to mid 1940s? Pretty sure it's never confirmed as a specific year.

McDead

We never find out when Carol (Alan's wife) was born, and I've always wondered about that.

I have another question: is Alan bald/severely balding? He tells an anecdote in Nomad about a child pulling his hair to prove he's not bald but also he does keep his head above water when he swims (sometimes) and in the behind the scenes doc for KMKYWAP (radio) he bellows "IT'S A WEAVE" down the phone to some press person. He also attends a hair clinic per This Time. So what's up with that? What's the deal with that?

QDRPHNC

He moulted in Oasthouse. About the size of a fifty pence piece. Put it on a saucer.

mtpromises

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on June 02, 2022, 08:53:45 AMYeah, that bloke also makes reference to Sunderland where we know Michael's brother lives.
Someone on Reddit did a fantastic breakdown on why Ted is Michael's brother.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AlanPartridge/comments/hzcirh/theory_michaels_brother_ted/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

McDead

Mobius

Some of the stuff Partridge says in episode 10 of Oasthouse, where he's building a time capsule and rooting around his attic, talking about his grandkids, are genuinely quite sad and make you feel sorry for him :(

Menu

Quote from: Ferris on June 09, 2022, 12:51:56 PMEarly to mid 1940s? Pretty sure it's never confirmed as a specific year.

I think it reflects pretty badly on both of you that you refuse to take this seriously.

Menu

Quote from: McDead on June 09, 2022, 03:31:14 PMWe never find out when Carol (Alan's wife) was born, and I've always wondered about that.

McDead, how could you?!

McDead

Quote from: Menu on June 09, 2022, 10:52:26 PMMcDead, how could you?!

Menu, I'm sorry mate. The cock crowed thrice and I denied you :(

Twonty Gostelow

For those people asking about when Carol was born, it was 1943.  You're welcome.

+7/-0 karm for this message

Glebe

Quote from: Menu on June 09, 2022, 12:36:17 AMYes. It's definitely covered somewhere anyway.

Ah right. This vaguely rings a bell.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on June 10, 2022, 01:38:57 AMFor those people asking about when Carol was born, it was 1943.  You're welcome.

Thanks! Glad to have this finally cleared up.

Angst in my Pants

Quote from: Menu on June 09, 2022, 12:26:35 AMThis awkward silence is what happens every time I bring up the fact that Carol was born in 1942. Why are you all so jealous of my deep knowledge of Alan Partridge?
Sorry to be pedantic, but I think you'll find it was 1943.

Spoiler alert
[close]

Martin Van Buren Stan

Oh do you have a quote? I've listened to I,P *dozens* of times and don't recall it.  Tells you something about the value of audiobooks as a format, or my attention span.

Captain Z

I'm pretty sure it's not in any of the audio books. Unless it's from an obscure interview or commentary, I think it's more likely just a theory that was posted by a member here.