Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:51:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Edinburgh Fringe 2022

Started by JCR, March 03, 2022, 02:22:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

up_the_hampipe

Has Kitson done any gigs lately? Haven't seen anything from him since last summer.

DrGreggles

He did those online audio WiPs last year, so he might do something, but tends to announce quite late on.

Timothy

Am I missing something or are all shows at Pleasance and Underbelly not participating in Friends of the Fringe?
Thought they always did in previous years didn't they?

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on April 02, 2022, 07:31:23 AMTen times in total from shows that participate - which is usually a good selection but often excludes bigger and / or hotter names.

But max one free ticket per show i.e  you can't use, say, 3 of your 10 FoF tickets for the same show on the same night.

The Sunday - Thursday restriction is new this year and, personally speaking, a major bummer as Fridays and Saturdays are the days I tend to kick the arse out of it.

Understandable though I suppose.

Thanks for the info!

WestHill

Quote from: DrGreggles on April 07, 2022, 12:05:35 PM500+ shows added this morning
https://tickets.edfringe.com/whats-on#fq=date_added%3A%5B2022-03-31T00%3A00%3A00Z%20TO%20NOW%5D&q=*%3A*

Frankie Boyle and Mat Ewins the stand outs for me.

Hoping for Hodgson and Morpurgo this year, as both have done the odd WIP

JCR

I love the rating system they have, Frankie Boyle is over 14's only.

edwardfog

Quote from: JCR on March 03, 2022, 09:18:40 PMI hope Tom Walker comes over, but he does quite well out of Twitch I believe, so I don't know if he'd want a month off from that.

Tom Walker just said on the latest Free to a Good Home episode that he's planning a run of shows in the UK soon, so I imagine he'll be bringing Javelin to the festival for a little bit

JCR

Quote from: edwardfog on April 21, 2022, 01:48:18 PMTom Walker just said on the latest Free to a Good Home episode that he's planning a run of shows in the UK soon, so I imagine he'll be bringing Javelin to the festival for a little bit

Yeah, he said in his stream today he's doing Edinburgh & hopes to play a London date.

buntyman

Loads more shows are being added today apparently. It'll be my first one for about 5 years and I'm quite out of the loop so I'll be looking out for tips on here. Got tickets for Stewart Lee and Tim key already but hoping to fill a couple of days with shows

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: edwardfog on April 21, 2022, 01:48:18 PMTom Walker just said on the latest Free to a Good Home episode that he's planning a run of shows in the UK soon, so I imagine he'll be bringing Javelin to the festival for a little bit

Now onsale

Quote from: buntyman on May 05, 2022, 11:02:49 AMLoads more shows are being added today apparently. It'll be my first one for about 5 years and I'm quite out of the loop so I'll be looking out for tips on here. Got tickets for Stewart Lee and Tim key already but hoping to fill a couple of days with shows

Looks like they've all been added now. 

Other than the usual big names, does anyone have any recommendations for some lesser know comedians to check out?

DrGreggles

Been stuck at home all day so I've been getting spreadsheeted up.
Pencilled in about 30 definites and 10 probablys so far.

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: Bobloblawslawbomb on May 05, 2022, 03:39:21 PMLooks like they've all been added now. 

Other than the usual big names, does anyone have any recommendations for some lesser know comedians to check out?

Rhys Nicholson is probably not unknown, but he won what used to be The Barry award this year so I'm probably gonna check out his show.

kitsofan34

Quote from: DrGreggles on May 05, 2022, 07:33:39 PMBeen stuck at home all day so I've been getting spreadsheeted up.
Pencilled in about 30 definites and 10 probablys so far.

Any chance you could share that in some capacity, Greggles? I don't have a bloody clue how to "scout" lesser known talent.

DrGreggles

Quote from: kitsofan34 on May 05, 2022, 11:43:56 PMAny chance you could share that in some capacity, Greggles? I don't have a bloody clue how to "scout" lesser known talent.

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=54529.0

Great thread for recommendations

CaledonianGonzo

Last big drop of Fringe tickets out today on the main site, so got my first big ticket investment out of the way and planning can begin in earnest.

Some interesting-looking new additions, but with inflation price increases and the general useless-ness this year of the Friend of the Fringe 241 it was a long way away from the biggest bargain I've ever had.

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on June 09, 2022, 05:09:04 PMLast big drop of Fringe tickets out today on the main site, so got my first big ticket investment out of the way and planning can begin in earnest.

Some interesting-looking new additions, but with inflation price increases and the general useless-ness this year of the Friend of the Fringe 241 it was a long way away from the biggest bargain I've ever had.

Patti Harrison, Sam Campbell, Josie Long, Sheeps and Sam Nicoresti all in the latest drop of shows. Despite the cost, my schedule now looking in decent shape.

DrGreggles

Up there for work from the 7th, but staying for a week afterwards.
Should get through a fair few shows - hopefully 60/70.

CaledonianGonzo

Sam Campbell at midnight ffs

lauraxsynthesis

For folks in or near London, there are lots of previews bookable at the London Pleasance https://www.pleasance.co.uk/via/search/london/tag/edpreview

DrGreggles

edwardfog

Quote from: DrGreggles on May 05, 2022, 11:46:07 PMhttps://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=54529.0

Great thread for recommendations

I can share a few hot tips from my extensive WIP viewing this year

Shows I've seen already that I know will be good:
Benjamin Alborough
Crybabies
Joz Norris
Sam Nicoresti
Julia Masli
Daniel Cook
Alasdair Beckett-King
Leo Reich
The Delightful Sausage
Jessica Fostekew
Lily Phillips
Patti Harrison

Honourable Mentions:
Ania Magliano
Fern Brady
Tarot
Rob Auton
Britney

edwardfog

Shows I haven't seen but have a good feeling about based on prior experience / vibes:

Ruth Hunter
Chris Cantrill
Mat Ewins
Zach Zucker
Frankie Thompson
Paul Williams
Tom Walker
Dalia Malek
Sheeps
Andy Field
Bilal Zafar
Christopher Bliss
Ciaran Dowd
Elf Lyons
Frank Foucault
Ange Lavoipierre
Ian Smith
Josh Pugh
Lara Ricote
Laura Davis
Luke Rollason
Nick Mohammed
Pat Cahill
Simon Munnery
Sophie Duker
Sami Abu Wardeh
Vittorio Angelone
Sam Taunton
Phil Ellis
Alison Spittle
Cerys Bradley

edwardfog

+ Christopher MacArthur-Boyd, he's great

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: Bobloblawslawbomb on June 09, 2022, 06:21:41 PMPatti Harrison

Yes - she's on my list of new additions, along with Liz Kingsman and Jacqueline Novak.

DrGreggles

Is Liz Kingsman doing her 2020(?) again/still?
Heard good things about that.

CaledonianGonzo

Saw Frankie Boyle's preview last night. 

Still needs work but it's already strong stuff. At points he seems like he's going to dive down more personal story-telling roads, but at least in the preview he halts himself and pulls back to more stock in trade political punchlines and / or New World Order closing monologue - style routines.

Currently one of the best joke-writers in the business, with a real knack for vivid, out-of-leftfield description and harsh imagery.

YMMV if you still prefer Mock the Week-era Boyle - or haven't been interested in him at all since his stock in trade was just mocking celebrities on panel shows.

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: DrGreggles on June 10, 2022, 03:19:02 PMIs Liz Kingsman doing her 2020(?) again/still?
Heard good things about that.

Doing a run at the Traverse.

https://tickets.edfringe.com/whats-on/liz-kingsman-one-woman-show

DrGreggles

Yes, saw that but didn't know if it was a new show.