Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:58:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Edinburgh Fringe 2022

Started by JCR, March 03, 2022, 02:22:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaledonianGonzo

edwardfog

Yeah it's the same one. Really fantastic show

Seagullsim

Just booked a few. £19 for Frank Skinner / £17 for Ed Gamble seems a steep rise from the last time they were at the Fringe.

DrGreggles

Frank is only doing an hour this time too, compared to a full show last time he did a Fringe run.

DrGreggles

I don't think it's sold out, as The Caves is a decent sized venue, but I'll be checking it out.

bgmnts

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on June 11, 2022, 05:10:19 AMA musical about Shannon Matthews is set to be performed at the festival.

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/uk-world-news/shannon-matthews-musical-set-hit-7194890

Already being labelled as absolutely disgusting by people who've not seen it and probably never will.

DrGreggles

I'll be disappointed if it isn't

kitsofan34

My very loose list (so far) for the 5th to the 10th.

Lily Philips
Leo Reich
Crybabies
Tarot
Anna Morris WIP
Stewart Lee Basic Lee
Tim Key Mulberry
Tom Walker
Frankie Boyle
Kiri
Jordan Brookes
Patti Harrison
Sheeps
Sam Nicoresti
The Delightful Sausage
ROb Auton
Julia Masli
Jessica Fosketew
Frank Skinner
Police Cops
Tony Law
Olga Koch

Was particularly gutted that Nick Mohammed has cancelled his appearance as Mr Swallow.

Is there anyone particularly of merit that I'm missing in this list?

DrGreggles

Sam Campbell is always good

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: DrGreggles on June 12, 2022, 12:28:57 PMSam Campbell is always good

Yeah, I've never seen him live but I saw one of his recorded shows and it was superb.

I'd recommend Shelf (though perhaps not if you're not in to musical comedy) and Jen Ives, I've seen WIPs from both and they were really good.

edwardfog

That looks like a great set. I put some recs on the last page but Daniel Cook, Alasdair Beckett-King, Sophie Duker and OF COURSE Sam Campbell

Sad to hear about Mr Swallow

On the plus side, Ed Night has announced a handful of shows near the end of the month

edwardfog

Oh sorry just noticed you're not there for Night or Campbell

edwardfog

One more essential for you: Mat Ewins

edwardfog

Has anyone noticed any good one-off events?

I've seen Kearns and Cahill are doing 110%, Kearns and Ewins doing a live version of Microscope, and The Wrestling is back (!!)

edwardfog

Trusty Hogs are doing a live show

Gurke and Hare

NextUp are going to be streaming a load of shows ("over 50"). They haven't announced which yet, but they'll be covered by the standard £30 annual subscription (is it always this cheap or is this a special offer?) so I'll be signing up for that.

DrGreggles

I think the £50 a year thing has been going for a couple of years now - but it's £5 a month usually so it's not that good a deal.
Not sure if this is going to be live streams only or VOD as well.
NextUp is a great idea though, so I definitely support them regardless.

BritishHobo

Been considering jumping back on NextUp for a while, this has swung it for me.

Has the app improved at all in the last few years? I used to find it would never keep my place in videos, and had a fair few playback issues that made it a ballache to use.

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on June 14, 2022, 11:01:37 AMNextUp are going to be streaming a load of shows ("over 50"). They haven't announced which yet, but they'll be covered by the standard £30 annual subscription (is it always this cheap or is this a special offer?) so I'll be signing up for that.

I wonder if these will be your regular performer-doing-their-new-hour shows, or if they might be mixed bill showcases. If it's the former then it'll be interesting to see who they get. I can't imagine that touring acts will want to broadcast their brand new material online, even if it is for a reasonably small audience of comedy nerds watching live on NextUp.

Code EARLYBIRD or PLEASANCE10 should bring it down to £20 for a year's subscription (not sure if it recurs at that price or goes back up to the usual £30)

edwardfog

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on June 14, 2022, 12:39:32 PMI wonder if these will be your regular performer-doing-their-new-hour shows, or if they might be mixed bill showcases. If it's the former then it'll be interesting to see who they get. I can't imagine that touring acts will want to broadcast their brand new material online, even if it is for a reasonably small audience of comedy nerds watching live on NextUp.

This is a good point. I expect there will be a lot of showcase stuff.

I like NextUp (snagged myself a lifetime membership a few years ago) but they do have a few weird ideas about who they feature. So many of their acts are people who even I as a devoted standup aficionado have NEVER heard of before or since. I asked one of their employees about it at a bar once and he said they just feature the acts that their boss likes. He said they have no idea where the boss finds these people

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: waste of chops on June 14, 2022, 05:06:10 PMCode EARLYBIRD or PLEASANCE10 should bring it down to £20 for a year's subscription (not sure if it recurs at that price or goes back up to the usual £30)

Thank you! That's a mega bargain, even without the live stuff there will easily be 20 shows I'll watch for a quid each.

Seagullsim

I see the lack of an official app is getting some media coverage now. It's fairly appalling - performers have paid their registration fees on the assumption that there's an app to accompany the brochure. It's also been useful for punters in the past too - i've used the 'Nearby Now' option loads when my plans have changed.

DrGreggles

Yeah, the app is great for finding nearby shows when you've got a free hour or so.
Seen some amazing stuff because I found them on there.

Lots of acts talked about binning Edinburgh off because the pandemic taught them there are better things to do than to lose thousands of pounds at the fringe. Is there any evidence of that actually happening? It does feel like the whole thing needs a big reset.

edwardfog

There's a bunch of acts who aren't doing it for those reasons but still so many that want to anyway, you can't really see the gap

Also a lot more people doing a truncated run. Not sure how/if that affects awards eligibility which I imagine must be one of the main reasons to do the festival in the face of the expense

Definitely feels like people are starting to reject the existing model though which is good

DrGreggles

There'll be performers who have had shows ready to go for 2 years, so there's no real drop off in numbers this year.
Next year will probably offer a better indication.

DrGreggles

Looks like the no app thing is kicking off.
Apparently the app is mentioned 18 times on the February registration form, and they've just Twittered to say that they decided to ditch the app back in December due to the expense.

The app already exists and just needs this year's data adding to it, but it's "too expensive".

The Fringe received a £1.5 million grant, plus have 3000+ shows registered at £400 a pop, but updating an existing app is "too expensive".

My friend (not there this year) estimates that 80-90% of her audience were walk-ups using the app - and I assume other less-established acts are the same.

This isn't just a bad decision - it's starting to look positively corrupt.

edwardfog

Glad it's gaining momentum. Feels like there's a lot of minor corruption floating around the Fringe

Foxdog Studios say they can make a brand new app in one day for £200. I think they're going to do a livestream of it