Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:23:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Burning Love

Started by Des Wigwam, June 12, 2022, 03:45:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Des Wigwam

Have been thinking of this on and off over the last few weeks. I think it's because someone said "here's the twist" about something which is a bit of a catchphrase in it so it's shaken something loose.

This might be the most famous thing ever so forgive me but - it's a The Bachelor parody with Ken Marino, Ian Duncan Smith Michael Ian Black, June Diane Raphael and loads of faces you know and may or may not know the names of - Beth Dover and Noureen De Woulf are good examples.

I watched it sort of by accident about 6 years ago and enjoyed it. I think it was one of those web series they used to have (not 100% about that). It seems to go on a bit too long but largely keeps it up to the end. I do remember that it parodied those sorts of dating shows in lots of ways really well - the extended edits of cliff-hangers, Twists, sad music for back stories, and back-stabbing talking heads, as well as thoroughly unlikeable contestants. It might all seem a bit old hat now but I was going through the Trending Now carousel on Netflix and there it was so will give it a watch.

Like The Trip Netflix have squashed it into an hour and 20 movie or so which I doubt suits it - it being episodic is sort of the point.

tl;dr has anyone else seen this and what do you think?

BritishHobo

I loved this so much. I love the way over the three seasons it builds a stupid world of reality TV contestants. Ken Marino is always excellent, and nails the dim, arrogant lead, but he's surrounded by so many incredible comic talents who inhabit their stupid characters so well. I think season 2 is my favourite.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: BritishHobo on June 12, 2022, 04:53:23 PMI loved this so much. I love the way over the three seasons it builds a stupid world of reality TV contestants. Ken Marino is always excellent, and nails the dim, arrogant lead, but he's surrounded by so many incredible comic talents who inhabit their stupid characters so well. I think season 2 is my favourite.

This was pretty much my response to it as well, I love Ken Marino in it a huge amount, but Michael Ian Black even more so who I think is just amazing throughout.

I couldn't remember if it was a web series or a tv show (turns out a bit of both), and when I was on the wikipedia page for the show it seems there's been a fairly recent French remake of it!

QuoteA French version of the series premiered on October 12, 2020 on Canal+. Titled La Flamme (transl. The Flame), this version was created by Jérémie Galan, Florent Bernard and Jonathan Cohen, who also starred as the bachelor, Marc, in the first season. Ben Stiller is also one of the executive producers of this adaptation. The first season stars Leïla Bekhti, Adèle Exarchopoulos, Angèle, Géraldine Nakache and Pierre Niney.[8] On October 27, 2020, it was renewed for a second season titled Le Flambeau : Les aventuriers de Chupacabra (transl. The Torch: The Adventurers of Chupacabra), a spoof of the french version of Survivor. It premiered on May 23, 2022.[9]

BritishHobo

I should add I'm delighted to hear it's back on Netflix, and am very grateful for the heads up. I've not watched it since it came out on UK Netflix in 2014 or whatever, and for some bizarre reason it's been off Netflix for most of that time. Given it's unavailable elsewhere in the UK, I don't really understand why it hasn't just stayed on Netflix. It looks like only season 1 is on there at the moment, which also makes no real sense.

Jerzy Bondov

I'm another fan. Michael Ian Black is so slimy in this, brilliant. I love Martin Starr's character in the second series, an adult who always goes on about how he was a premature baby.

BritishHobo

Yeah, there was so much mileage in what sound like such one-note things: I remember laughing so much at Rob Huebel's Prince Simon, and the bloke with the guitar who just constantly sings the same two lines of the same song. 'Ain't got time for lo-oove, ain't got time for yoooou...'

Ron Superior

Loved this so much. Always watched it as separate episodes so will go back now and watch as the movie length version.

If you haven't watched it, there was a similar show around the same time called Beef, with Christopher Meloni as a Judge Judy type host. Overall maybe not as strong as Burning Love but loads of funny moments and Michael Ian Black fulfilling a similar role as the interviewer of the contestants, who is I'd say even funnier than his turn in Burning Love.

Jerzy Bondov

Never even heard of Beef, thanks! Sounds good. In terms of totally nailing the reality TV format I think Kroll Show is another close relation

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: BritishHobo on June 12, 2022, 08:47:32 PMYeah, there was so much mileage in what sound like such one-note things: I remember laughing so much at Rob Huebel's Prince Simon, and the bloke with the guitar who just constantly sings the same two lines of the same song. 'Ain't got time for lo-oove, ain't got time for yoooou...'

I think my favourite of these is Ken Marino tripping up over nothing as he walks along.

Ron Superior

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on June 12, 2022, 09:02:10 PMNever even heard of Beef, thanks! Sounds good. In terms of totally nailing the reality TV format I think Kroll Show is another close relation

I'm sure it used to be on Netflix but I've just checked and it's not any more. Let me know if you have trouble finding it, I may have it saved somewhere if so. Definitely worth hunting down.

Mobius

I really loved this show too. Lots of funny people in it.

Remember watching this, Bajillion Dollar Properties and Children's Hospital in close proximity and enjoying all of their silly spoofiness.

Moribunderast

Can only echo the love for this show. As mentioned, Marino and Michael Ian Black are superb throughout but June Diane Raphael is right there with them and I loved Kumail Nanjiani's character who discovers, as an adult, that lesbians exist. His wonderment is so joyous and stupid.

Is it season three where they're playing for a grand prize of $900? I thought that was such a greatly specific amount of cash. Would never fail to amuse when Raphael would proclaim she's all in "for that nine hunj."

Whenever I think of this show I feel compelled to re-watch at least some of it. I'm just not casting my mind back and remembering Ryan Hansen's character, "Blaze", another great performance.

PeasOnSticks

Yeah, this is good fun. Coincidentally I've just finished a re-watch of 'Medical Police' (feat. Rob Huebel and Ken Marino) - also excellent.

Ant Farm Keyboard

My favourite little moment in season 1 is when Marino prepares himself for a date and puts a lot of talc powder in his pants with a blank stare. Season 1 was also impressive as they picked a great selection of actresses, who got the spotlight and were mostly terrific. Some of them returned in later seasons but Abigail Spencer, Janet Varney (the "lezzibian") and Noureen DeWulf held their own against more known comedians. It also helped the show to stay out of some The State/Human Giant comfort zone, while the addition of male comedians in season 2 didn't affect the balance either.

La Flamme has actually been a big hit in France, as it was more of a loose adaptation rather than a direct transposition (something that had plagued the French versions of The Office or Fleabag) and some of the ideas, like the celebration of a fictional holiday, la "Jean Guile", have gone viral here, with tributes taking place on November 14 for the last two years. The French show may have actually gained more overall traction than Burning Love ever did in the US.

BritishHobo

Glad other people are flagging up Kumail and the "lezibian", as that friendship between Carly and him was a daft highlight for me.

I've noticed that seasons 2 and 3 are available to stream on Amazon for £6 each. That's not too bad. I've almost finished season 1, so I may do that - I'm really eager to watch 2 and 3 again.

Vitalstatistix

Fantastic show. Lovely to hear it's still out there making new fans.

Quote from: PeasOnSticks on June 13, 2022, 12:17:37 AMYeah, this is good fun. Coincidentally I've just finished a re-watch of 'Medical Police' (feat. Rob Huebel and Ken Marino) - also excellent.

Another great show, weirdly underrated and underseen I reckon. Burning Love has massive Wain and Showalter vibes and I assume they were involved somewhat, given the crossover of performers and comedic tone. What a great bunch!

Des Wigwam

Watched about 20 mins last night and it's as good as I remember. Had forgotten Ken Jeong is in episode 1. I liked how his character isn't "lol trannys" - I don't even know if the character is meant to be trans - and would have won if they hadn't been nobbled. Completely forgot Kristen Bell was in it - loved her turn on the stand-up comedy task.

up_the_hampipe

I'd never heard of this until I saw the "movie" pop up as a recommendation on Netflix recently. So much great talent involved and seems hilariously stupid. Looking forward to it!

Ant Farm Keyboard

Quote from: Vitalstatistix on June 14, 2022, 06:09:21 AMFantastic show. Lovely to hear it's still out there making new fans.

Another great show, weirdly underrated and underseen I reckon. Burning Love has massive Wain and Showalter vibes and I assume they were involved somewhat, given the crossover of performers and comedic tone. What a great bunch!

Wain is involved as a guest star. Ken Marino directs the whole thing, in addition to playing the male lead, but the writer for all seasons is his wife, Erica Oyama, who wrote a few fine Childrens Hospital episodes.

Medical Police suffered from terrible timing. It was a show about a man-made virus designed to kill people, released in January 2020.

Retinend

Oh wow I feel very vindicated to see this show pop up again. I always felt it was terribly underrated.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Des Wigwam on June 15, 2022, 08:10:06 PMWatched about 20 mins last night and it's as good as I remember. Had forgotten Ken Jeong is in episode 1. I liked how his character isn't "lol trannys" - I don't even know if the character is meant to be trans - and would have won if they hadn't been nobbled. Completely forgot Kristen Bell was in it - loved her turn on the stand-up comedy task.

Just finished season 1, Mark mentions that his engagement to Ballerina didn't work out because "she has a dick". So, yeah, not the best aged aspect of the show but otherwise very funny and ridiculous. Ken Marino was great at being so casually a conceited prick. Leggero and Beth Dover were excellent, and loved Janet Varney as Carly's disgust just gets harder and harder to hide.

Started season 2 and it's a great cast, I really enjoyed Nick Kroll's brief run - "I can still get hard!"

Des Wigwam

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on June 17, 2022, 11:11:42 PMJust finished season 1, Mark mentions that his engagement to Ballerina didn't work out because "she has a dick". So, yeah, not the best aged aspect of the show but otherwise very funny and ridiculous. Ken Marino was great at being so casually a conceited prick. Leggero and Beth Dover were excellent, and loved Janet Varney as Carly's disgust just gets harder and harder to hide.

Started season 2 and it's a great cast, I really enjoyed Nick Kroll's brief run - "I can still get hard!"

Completely forgot the ending. Yea it's not great but makes Mark look an even more terrible person.

There are some lovely bits of business in it like the therapist trying to run two sessions at once,Michael Ian Black coming to Mark's room to fetch him (the closing of the door), and Mark not proposing
Spoiler alert
"I see how that could have been confusing".
[close]

For what could be a one-note performance Leggero as Hayley is fantastic.

Laughed a lot at him meeting the families. Titi's dad is great. I liked how cold Annie gets especially when she parrots back Mark's words of consolation.

Where's Season 2? YouTube?

BritishHobo

Sadly not. You can rent it on Amazon Prime UK for 3 quid, and buy it for 6. Do not understand why season 1 is free on Netflix, and unpurchasable on Prime, but seasons 2 and 3 are the reverse.

Also I also like to think of the Ballerina stuff as making fun of Mark more than anything else. I know I'm being charitable and it likely is mean-spirited, but I want to think the joke is on him for being an idiot. Everyone is fine with Ballerina otherwise, I think.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: BritishHobo on June 18, 2022, 12:43:20 PMAlso I also like to think of the Ballerina stuff as making fun of Mark more than anything else. I know I'm being charitable and it likely is mean-spirited, but I want to think the joke is on him for being an idiot. Everyone is fine with Ballerina otherwise, I think.

It felt more like they're making fun of Mark for being dumb and not realising earlier, like he takes a while to state the obvious. The reaction in the room is basically "uh, yeah, duh!"

Whatever though, it's not fair to hold these things up to today's standards. They also have that blind girl at the beginning that's just an excuse for a lot of cheap jokes. In season 2, Kumail Nanjiani's character is just there for Julie to do that Little Britain "I can't understand what you're saying" joke cos he's a foreigner. I suppose it's all somewhat defensible in how these reality shows have "types" instead of really exploring the contestants as people, and it adds to the absurd, cartoonish rudeness of the whole thing.

BritishHobo

Yeah, that's true. Some of the homeless stuff with Willow as well, and I wasn't a fan of Matt Besser's bit about fratboys shitting on her face - although I always find his improv to veer towards edgy cruelty, so I can't really blame the show for that.

But yeah, as you say, most of it is there to amplify Mark's stupid obliviousness. It doesn't occur to him to consider people's age, or sexuality, or gender identity, because he's a buffoon who stares through people rather than at them. Such a great comedy character. I adore the scene where he's trying to think about what his dying fireman 'friend' might have been trying to say she loved.

veletision

I think it's fine.

Maybe a step below Children's

Des Wigwam

Forgot about the blind contestant bit. That annoyed me because it was rubbish jokes - reaching out to touch someones's face and then grasping at the air for a while, facing completely the wrong way to talk to someone. Argh!

Retinend

Quote from: BritishHobo on June 18, 2022, 01:46:03 PMYeah, that's true. Some of the homeless stuff with Willow as well, and I wasn't a fan of Matt Besser's bit about fratboys shitting on her face - although I always find his improv to veer towards edgy cruelty, so I can't really blame the show for that.

Based on his podcast and his appearances on Comedy Bang Bang, Besser always struck me as a third rate comedian, compared with the best names on CBB.  A lot of undertones of sexual weirdness showing through. I remember a cruel and demeaning impression of Björk that hinted at what Matt Besser gets off on. Something about how she stuffs a lot of things in her "pussy"? I quote because that was the word he used over and over again, in the voice of Björk. I hope for her that she never heard it.

I got the impression he was overrated by his peers because of his status as founder of an improv school Upright Citizens Brigade. It seemed like he got by on good will, or had a tin ear for what was truly funny, after holding such a vaunted position in the community for so long, and having people laugh at him as a matter of course for so long.

BritishHobo

Indeed. Everything I've heard has given the impression of just going for "easy" laughs by devolving immediately into graphic/violent stuff.

Ron Superior

Yeah, I was always baffled by the great reception Besser would always get on CBB, considering always very one note and predictable, whether it was Björk or King George or whoever, but he would often get a good performance out of his guests on I4H. I always put it down to him knowing the craft but not being particularly good at it himself.