Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:38:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Fake bloopers

Started by Twilkes, June 13, 2022, 08:53:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twilkes

Watching the end of Toy Story 2, they had lots of bloopers which, it being an animation and the number of people involved to create it, they would have scripted and produced as meticulously as any other scene. It reminded me of Absolutely and how they had a set of fake bloopers at the end of one of their episodes, although the only one I remember was two of the male characters both accidentally wearing fake beards.

Have any other shows done this?

thr0b

The Bottom Live shows definitely had bits where things went wrong in the same way in the same place regardless of venue.

This isn't really what you're asking for, but one of my favourite ever Taskmaster moments is from the first series when they have to stage a realistic home movie blooper.

Here's Frank Skinner and Tim Key's attempt: https://youtu.be/Uj3YSIK_PmM

Twilkes

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on June 13, 2022, 09:56:41 AMThis isn't really what you're asking for, but one of my favourite ever Taskmaster moments is from the first series when they have to stage a realistic home movie blooper.

Here's Frank Skinner and Tim Key's attempt: https://youtu.be/Uj3YSIK_PmM

It gets very post-postmodern when you see Tim Key lying on a crash mat at the end - was that the real blooper, or is that just what they want you to think...?

Ron Superior

I loved the fake Bloopers they did at the end of the Mr Show movie with the
Spoiler alert
Jackie Chan movie style stretcher crew
[close]

Utter Shit

One of Mrs. Brown's Boys many crimes is the inclusion of obviously planned bloopers.

I hate this sort of cynicism, because a genuine blooper reel can be one of the great funny things for me purely BECAUSE it's so organic and real. The Anchorman 2 outtakes kill me every time, same with the "Bishop Muzurewa" blooper from The Office.

idunnosomename

Pixar did fictional outtakes/bloopers first for A Bug's Life. There were a couple on some versions of Monsters Inc but as they concentrate more on the mid-credits Putthatthingbackwhereitcamefromorsohelpme musical shows that they thought it was getting a bit old hat and they never did it again. Theres an extra on The Incredibles DVD which is partly real rendering/simulation errors but played up a bit for laughs

Billy

I remember feeling a bit cheated at the Absolutely example, as you and the audience are led to believe it's a real blooper at first and it gets a genuine and appreciative laugh, but when it suddenly becomes ahhh this is a meta fake blooper sketch soon after it's almost like you've just been lied to and it's rather deflating.

I assumed at least some of the Pixar bloopers were actual line fluffs from the voice actors that they just animated, and then they added some obviously fictional visual ones like characters falling over to fill up the time - but maybe they're all made up, I dunno.

There's a bit in the stage musical Hairspray where two characters apparently corpse and make hilarious unplanned ad-libs, which is great fun until you see it a second time and you realise it's all planned and in the script, which seems a bit of a shame somehow.

robhug

Just to mention the specifically blooper show - Itll Be Alright on the Night - currently presented by odious twat Walliams, now very rarely shows bloopers and just shows what was transmitted at the time. Schofield pissing himself cos someone said Bum on this morning or Walliams himself corpsing on a talent show.

If I was granted 1 wish, I'd go for Norden with an AK-47 taking out anyone remotely linked with the current incarnation. Who'd have thunk removing Griff Rhys Jones from a show would make it worse.

studpuppet

Can this be taken as a fake blooper? I think it's a real false start (but staying in character).

When The Rutles answered the Beatles' Anthology project with Archeology, they included 'We've Arrived (And To Prove It We're Here)', a pastiche of 'Back In The USSR'. It has all the hallmarks of some of the studio outtakes of Anthology (in particular the pot-induced giggling from 'And Your Bird Can Sing').

checkoutgirl

Open University Blooper Reel | A Bit of Fry & Laurie

idunnosomename

Quote from: Billy on June 13, 2022, 12:37:09 PMI assumed at least some of the Pixar bloopers were actual line fluffs from the voice actors that they just animated, and then they added some obviously fictional visual ones like characters falling over to fill up the time - but maybe they're all made up, I dunno.
nah they always stay in character, certain theyre all written. A lot of the jokes are about it being a movie set and pranks, theres very few line fluffs.

Theres also a very very dodgy one where Kelsey Grammer's Stinky Pete is doing a casting couch bit with two Barbies in his box. I think theyve taken that out of the streaming version now. The bit where he takes her hand is particularly gross (but well animated) what with all the stuff Lasseter got up to

Brundle-Fly

I wonder how many "genuine" bloopers are actually fake. Bear in mind, an actor will receive a fee for their outtake appearing on IBAOTN.

During the end of the run of TV Burp, Harry Hill and the writing team were starting to notice certain actors in the soaps may have been deliberately putting in increasingly bizarre performances and tics to get on the show. Personally, I reckon he's alluding to Jimmi Harkishin who plays Dev in Corrie.

up_the_hampipe

Always enjoyed the "bloops" at the end of the Between Two Ferns special:

https://youtu.be/OKC0dMWvh64?t=1228

thenoise

Weird example from Monty Python barely counts - the studio audience begin heckling a rather tasteless sketch about a funeral directors, before storming the stage in fury at hearing the punchline.

It was actually done at the insistence of the BBC, who were unhappy with the sketch and only allowed it if the audience could heckle it and show their disapproval. Which they were asked to do and complied - except they start heckling far too early, before anything really offensive was said. All very odd.

bgmnts

A very bizarre one takes place at the end of the psychological, industrial gore horror Silent Hill.

I remember being confused by this when I first saw it but I suppose it adds to the overall strangeness of it.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: robhug on June 13, 2022, 12:54:22 PMJust to mention the specifically blooper show - Itll Be Alright on the Night - currently presented by odious twat Walliams, now very rarely shows bloopers

I've not seen an episode for ages.  I always read the description in the tv listings magazines though because it amuses me how bleak they always make it sound.

famethrowa

Mobius

Ben Schwartz & Lauren Lapkus parody of morning television, had an actual hour of 'outtakes' which were very funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plOMomN9F5g

Menu

Quote from: thr0b on June 13, 2022, 09:17:07 AMThe Bottom Live shows definitely had bits where things went wrong in the same way in the same place regardless of venue.

I always found that to be a bit contemptuous of the audience. Like, if you saw one of their shows on tour and you saw something go wrong and Ade & Rik carried it off brilliantly, that's a really special moment and you probably remembered that at least as well as anything else. But to then find out they did it every night, and on the live video, really sullies that memory doesn't it?

Smith and Jones had a fake corpsing bit in a scene in one of their last shows. You could tell it was planned. Not sure why you'd do that. It's a bit weird.

Menu

Quote from: robhug on June 13, 2022, 12:54:22 PMWho'd have thunk removing Griff Rhys Jones from a show would make it worse.

GRJ's links on that show were pretty much the worst comedy writing I've ever encountered. We'd have to fast-forward through them because they were so painful.

Glebe

Alexei Sayle did this, didn't he?

Replies From View

Quote from: Menu on June 14, 2022, 02:47:12 AMGRJ's links on that show were pretty much the worst comedy writing I've ever encountered. We'd have to fast-forward through them because they were so painful.

It's the 'Cheer Up Charlie' of comedy writing.  Physically impossible to watch because you start sensing your body ageing and you panic and reflexively hit fast-forward.

I've seen one episode of him trying to do a Michael Palin style travel programme, and that was rubbish too.

Maybe he's just not very good outside of work with Mel Smith.

Tony Yeboah

The 'You've Been Faked!' segment on Johnny Vaughan Tonight was pretty funny. People were asked to make their own staged You've Been Framed! style clips, much like the subsequent Key and Skinner Taskmaster effort.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Menu on June 14, 2022, 02:39:50 AMI always found that to be a bit contemptuous of the audience. Like, if you saw one of their shows on tour and you saw something go wrong and Ade & Rik carried it off brilliantly, that's a really special moment and you probably remembered that at least as well as anything else. But to then find out they did it every night, and on the live video, really sullies that memory doesn't it?

Smith and Jones had a fake corpsing bit in a scene in one of their last shows. You could tell it was planned. Not sure why you'd do that. It's a bit weird.

It's a theatre trick as old as the hills. Usually comes from a genuine unscripted cock-up and because it went down really well one night with the audience, that 'moment' is occasionally left in the show. It can be self indulgent and the 'off the cuff' corpsing and ad libs often become too polished, forced even, leaving only the slimmest trace of spontaneity.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: famethrowa on June 14, 2022, 02:09:59 AMExactly what you want from Hale & Pace:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktPYFt6FteE

This is now gone, blocked on copyright grounds. Seems coincidental that having been there since 2010 it would go in the 9 hours after being linked here - does a video on there being linked to trigger some kind of automatic check or something?

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: bgmnts on June 13, 2022, 10:06:26 PMA very bizarre one takes place at the end of the psychological, industrial gore horror Silent Hill.

I remember being confused by this when I first saw it but I suppose it adds to the overall strangeness of it.

I love that!

damien

Hale and Pace sketch is also here
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=153050588592

Funnily enough when i read the phrase 'fake bloopers' that was the first thing i thought of; it's still pretty funny to be fair. My opinion of them went up a notch after hearing the Armadno Iannuci Shows commentary where he says how up-for-it they were while making the 'working in a shoe shop' sketch. 

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: damien on June 14, 2022, 11:18:06 AMHale and Pace sketch is also here
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=153050588592

Funnily enough when i read the phrase 'fake bloopers' that was the first thing i thought of; it's still pretty funny to be fair. My opinion of them went up a notch after hearing the Armadno Iannuci Shows commentary where he says how up-for-it they were while making the 'working in a shoe shop' sketch. 

The follow up eggs video to the Hale & Pace clip is the most annoying thing I have ever seen on screen in my entire life.

Sonny_Jim

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on June 14, 2022, 11:05:14 AMThis is now gone, blocked on copyright grounds. Seems coincidental that having been there since 2010 it would go in the 9 hours after being linked here - does a video on there being linked to trigger some kind of automatic check or something?
Who knows, you can watch it here though: (starts at around 10m)