Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:40:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Katherine Ryan Backstage

Started by Virgo76, June 12, 2022, 07:44:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Virgo76

Anyone seen this on Amazon Prime? I've seen the first three.
She comperes a show featuring four different comics.
Lots of backstage footage e.g. of the  comics preparing beforehand and Ryan planning jokes gently roasting them all with Geoff Norcott.
OK. Everyone knew they were being filmed, of course.
Sue Perkins and Seann Walsh notably tense.
Ryan and Sara Pascoe discussed a well known comic/sex predator who they have both worked with.
Jimmy Carr simultaneously polite and rude as always.
Nick Mohammed does an impressive memory trick.

SweetPomPom

I'd recommend ep 5, if only for Geoff Norcott just falling apart. Seems only fair to keep it in the edit.

SteveDave

We skipped episode 1 as I can't be doing with the haunted ventriloquist's dummy.

2 and 3 were good though and I thought it was interesting to see the dynamics involved between the comedians. Frankie Boyle almost isolating himself from everyone else backstage before really laying into Oxbridge types whilst on the same bill as Ivo Graham.

The Ombudsman

Quote from: Virgo76 on June 12, 2022, 07:44:04 PMRyan and Sara Pascoe discussed a well known comic/sex predator who they have both worked with.

First of all, if you know who this person is don't post it here. Sure Barry wouldn't appreciate it.

Do most people know who this person is? I can't work out who it could be.

Again, just want to know if others have a good idea. Don't want the name posted here.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: The Ombudsman on June 13, 2022, 11:39:59 AMFirst of all, if you know who this person is don't post it here. Sure Barry wouldn't appreciate it.

Again, just want to know if others have a good idea. Don't want the name posted here.

She's worked on so many shows that it could be anyone, but yeah I've got a good idea.

Mr_Simnock

I watched most of the first one recently and found it to be utterly contrived shite.

jobotic

Virgo76

Quote from: The Ombudsman on June 13, 2022, 11:39:59 AMFirst of all, if you know who this person is don't post it here. Sure Barry wouldn't appreciate it.

I've no idea who it is.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: jobotic on June 13, 2022, 03:30:12 PMSounds awful

Too many stand up comedian based shows on telly, too much Katherine Ryan. Yet more Jimmy Carr, yet more Frankie Boyle, yet more Sue Perkins, yet more Hatrick Productions clients. The same ten people in everything. Who is interested in these people still?

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Virgo76 on June 13, 2022, 03:54:44 PMI've no idea who it is.

We're all waiting for Matthew Wright to blurt it out on live telly.

Stigdu

I watched the first episode at the weekend and enjoyed it. Nick Mohammed, Jimmy Carr and Katherine Ryan's chest were the standouts for me.

Jake Thingray

Virgo76

Quote from: checkoutgirl on June 13, 2022, 03:56:33 PMToo many stand up comedian based shows on telly, too much Katherine Ryan. Yet more Jimmy Carr, yet more Frankie Boyle, yet more Sue Perkins, yet more Hatrick Productions clients. The same ten people in everything. Who is interested in these people still?
All of them are funny and genuinely talented.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Virgo76 on June 13, 2022, 06:44:17 PMAll of them are funny and genuinely talented.

No one's saying they aren't, but you have to admit they're stretched a bit thin

MigraineBoy

Quote from: Pink Gregory on June 13, 2022, 06:50:19 PMNo one's saying they aren't, but you have to admit they're stretched a bit thin

As I said in the other Backstage thread (which I started back in August & used the correct title of the show for... but whatever, you lot can just crack on with *this*) it could do with a bit more of a Taskmaster booking style instead of 4 comics who could very well all be on a panel show together.

Des Wigwam

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 13, 2022, 04:12:36 PMWe're all waiting for Matthew Wright to blurt it out on live telly.
Haven't seen this. No idea who it is but might watch to see if I can guess. But whenever I see the name Matthew Wright I have a Tourette's-like reaction to blurt out "fuckedherinthepussy". That's all.

Virgo76

Quote from: Vroomo on June 13, 2022, 10:26:40 PMAs I said in the other Backstage thread (which I started back in August & used the correct title of the show for... but whatever, you lot can just crack on with *this*) it could do with a bit more of a Taskmaster booking style instead of 4 comics who could very well all be on a panel show together.

In Auguat???
I'm not really sure the end result really justified hyping it ten months in advance.

lipsink

Is it okay to ask for anyone to DM me who they think it is? Apologies, if not. Don't worry.

lb99

Quote from: checkoutgirl on June 13, 2022, 03:56:33 PMToo many stand up comedian based shows on telly, too much Katherine Ryan. Yet more Jimmy Carr, yet more Frankie Boyle, yet more Sue Perkins, yet more Hatrick Productions clients. The same ten people in everything. Who is interested in these people still?
Hattrick is a production company, not an agency. They don't have clients.

Twilkes

Having been backstage in a few comedy clubs, it's a shame they weren't all stuck in the same dingy fetid room full of charity shop sofas and dubious stains, but I guess that's not the Netflix style.

I would watch it, I'm just not keen on the guests.

MigraineBoy

Katherine has just tweeted asking ladies to watch it in the next 20 days so she has a chance of making another one.

I guess Amazon are number crunching their data & it's underperforming with women.

Replies From View

Quote from: Pink Gregory on June 13, 2022, 06:50:19 PMNo one's saying they aren't, but you have to admit they're stretched a bit thin

Change that to 'thinly' and I'm right with you Mister McGregor.

Replies From View

Hello I don't know who this paedophile sex predator is either.

What if we libel lots of innocent people until the actual culprit is forced to step forwards. 

Mr_Simnock

watched another one, nope still not for me, far too contrived and I get a bit tired of 'oh we work so hard' type comments, yes it's tough doing stand up, you don't need to keep hinting it

pigamus

Quote from: lb99 on June 15, 2022, 09:18:12 AMHattrick is a production company, not an agency. They don't have clients.

Thinking of Avalon maybe?

poodlefaker

Jimmy Carr certainly is, in particular the skin on his face.

lb99

Quote from: pigamus on June 15, 2022, 05:40:21 PMThinking of Avalon maybe?

He could have been. Or Open Mike, or Rumpus.

Utter Shit

Quote from: SweetPomPom on June 13, 2022, 09:19:27 AMI'd recommend ep 5, if only for Geoff Norcott just falling apart. Seems only fair to keep it in the edit.

Watched this one last night, and I'm so confused. In the space of five minutes Norcott:

-Is told he needs to go on stage and fill for a few minutes, and flies into a panic despite being a professional comedian with presumably plenty of material designed specifically for this kind of show.

-Gets on stage and seems fine.

-Gets told he needs to come off quicker than expected and is openly furious about it both off and onstage.

-Is back to normal again five minutes later.

Is that a fair summary? It just felt all over the place and so confusing. Did I miss a layer of irony in his anger at being told to come off stage and the money stuff was just a joke? Was this section dramatised to add extra jeopardy? Or did he just genuinely act in an incredibly rude and unprofessional way despite knowing that the cameras would be on him both onstage and offstage?

MigraineBoy

I haven't seen that Norcott ep, but I've seen the 1st three & said elsewhere the "unscripted / fly on the wall" dressing room chats are obviously not as free as they would be (because the comics know there are cameras everywhere) but they seem far more loose, because they are intercut with the Ryan / Norcott 'bits' which are so stiff.