Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:38:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Real bloopers

Started by dead-ced-dead, June 13, 2022, 11:16:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dead-ced-dead

A spin-off to @Twilkes thread.

I love me some end credits bloopers. What are your favourites?

I love the ones at the end of the Rush Hour movies. It really puts into sharp context what a brilliant physical comedian Jackie Chan is. To see him muck up an INCREDIBLY DANGEROUS stunt and still be funny is something else.

Twilkes

An aside, but I'm not keen on end credits bloopers, particularly for every episode, as it kind of devalues some of what went on before, particularly when it's a comedy show and the bloopers are funnier than the scripted bits!

But the outtakes from Down With Love are very warm, looks like they all had a blast, and it contains a shot of David Hyde Pearce catching one of Ewan McGregor's shirt buttons in his mouth (2m11s):

Could put up lots of Seinfeld here, but my all-time favourite ever outtake (it's only really a blooper because Michael Richards stumbles a little when he starts drinking) is this - once he gets a rhythm with the smoke rings it's pure poetry, and then the smoky belch and shriek at the end, I still can't not laugh at it after fifteen years:

The take in the show was good but just not as awesome.

Stigdu

I love Jim Carrey. My favourite bloopers are at the end of Liar, Liar.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: Stigdu on June 13, 2022, 04:27:28 PMI love Jim Carrey. My favourite bloopers are at the end of Liar, Liar.

OVERACTOR!

Famous Mortimer

My introduction to them was probably "The Cannonball Run":

Replies From View

I do love a good blooper reel, but the ascent of these as commodities has, I think, diminished the potential for good unscripted moments within the film or series itself.

Take, for example, the scene in the Fawlty Towers episode The Hotel Inspectors when Cleese has immense and unscripted difficulty removing a cork from a bottle of wine.  Both actors in the scene played it straight - there was no mugging, no overegging to indicate it had gone wrong, no over the top collapsing to the floor and patting each other on the back in waves of forced laughter.  Picture what would have happened if The Mighty Boosh or anyone since the late 90s had been doing it instead.

The latter would have made an adequate blooper, but because both actors played it straight and kept going, a "joke from God" (as Cleese called it) could exist in the episode itself.

Replies From View

Having said that, maybe the balance will tip the other way again now that DVD extras and, by association, blooper reels, are falling away.

Stigdu

I know there's a crazy amount of hatred for him (Gervais) on these forums, but I love the bloopers from Extras, particularly anything involving Keith Chegwin.

up_the_hampipe

Community, Always Sunny and Parks & Rec have some of the best bloops.

wrec

Jerry Stiller in Seinfeld. Dunno how the actors managed to get through any takes without corpsing as his delivery is always bizarre and surprising.

DrGreggles

Michael Richards' bloopers in Seinfeld are always amazing because he's really giving it everything, but he's just too funny so someone cracks and ruins the take.
Weirdly it's rarely him - he's always in control of his lunacy.

BJBMK2

You're not wrong.

The clickbait title is slightly misleading. It's not like he rages at Jerry and the others for cracking up. But you can tell when he's in the "zone" as it were. It probably takes him quite a while to get to that place, and it must be a bit jarring suddenly breaking out of it.

shoulders

Hey

Yo
Is this blooper for REEL

DrGreggles

Seen that before.
His reaction is more 'shit, I've got to do that again' than pissed off.

Twilkes

Quote from: BJBMK2 on June 13, 2022, 10:09:54 PMYou're not wrong.

The clickbait title is slightly misleading. It's not like he rages at Jerry and the others for cracking up. But you can tell when he's in the "zone" as it were. It probably takes him quite a while to get to that place, and it must be a bit jarring suddenly breaking out of it.

From what I remember he felt it was unprofessional and wasting of people's time, the corpsing anyway, think he forgave mistakes as he made a few too. His process was definitely intense though.

Menu

Julia Louis Dreyfuss corpsing is one of my favourite things. Especially as the rest of the cast often seem a bit annoyed at it. It's like when you can't stop laughing at Assembly or something.

The US Office have very funny outtakes too.

Kelvin

Quote from: Stigdu on June 13, 2022, 04:27:28 PMI love Jim Carrey. My favourite bloopers are at the end of Liar, Liar.

I think those outtakes are probably the ones I remember more than any other, for some reason. The bit where he screws up the papers and says "a goose" pops into my mind all the time, even though watching it again just now I didn't find it remotely funny.

Menu

Quote from: Kelvin on June 14, 2022, 03:24:02 AMI think those outtakes are probably the ones I remember more than any other, for some reason. The bit where he screws up the papers and says "a goose" pops into my mind all the time, even though watching it again just now I didn't find it remotely funny.

He looks hard work. That blonde woman just seems annoyed.

famethrowa

aaaahHHAAAAA THE FRENCH CHAMPAGNE

Glebe

Quote from: famethrowa on June 14, 2022, 04:28:18 AMaaaahHHAAAAA THE FRENCH CHAMPAGNE

Haha! Drunken Orson Welles, one assumes?

holyzombiejesus

I like Alan opening the door to Michael and trying not to laugh when he's got chocolate mousse all round his mouth.

God, that sounds so unfunny.

famethrowa

Quote from: Glebe on June 14, 2022, 07:56:19 AMHaha! Drunken Orson Welles, one assumes?

That's our boy.... never before has awkward silence been so rewarding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFevH5vP32s

DrGreggles

Quote from: Menu on June 14, 2022, 02:57:13 AMJulia Louis Dreyfuss corpsing is one of my favourite things. Especially as the rest of the cast often seem a bit annoyed at it. It's like when you can't stop laughing at Assembly or something.

How could you be annoyed at JLD's giggling - it's adorable!
In fact, how could you be annoyed at JLD?

Replies From View

One of my faves is Larry David's "paaaaah!" laugh in the series 6 outtakes when his caretaker says "Hello?  Hello??  How you feel Mr David?" in a manner that suggests he's trying to recall the sentence as fragmented phonemes without grasping what it means.  The take is used in the episode with the laugh cut out, which is great because most sitcom arrangements would require a complete re-take and lose those moments of spontaneous brilliance.  I imagine it's a show that's assembled in the edit by endlessly trimming around corpsing and laughing, and must be quite a continuity nightmare.

MigraineBoy

Reece Shearsmith's cameo in Car Share.

Pump this UP!

Glebe

Quote from: famethrowa on June 14, 2022, 09:14:53 AMThat's our boy.... never before has awkward silence been so rewarding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFevH5vP32s

His intonation is very Ron Burgandy/SNL's The Californians!

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Vroomo on June 14, 2022, 01:20:01 PMReece Shearsmith's cameo in Car Share.

Pump this UP!

That reminds me of Reece playing a debt collector in LoG and really turning it up and letting fly. Thinks he breaks an overhead light fitting when using his belt to beat Pembo. At the end you can just hear Gattis go 'fucking hell Reece!'

Stigdu