Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:07:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Rip-offs

Started by holyzombiejesus, March 29, 2022, 02:29:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: purlieu on April 11, 2022, 10:58:27 AMYou don't have to check on Discogs first to see if it's actually a good pressing or not.

Yeah you do, apparently.

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/search/87704075/?q=Best+CD&o=relevance&c[node]=2

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: The Mollusk on March 29, 2022, 06:13:46 PM

Me, a CD collector, reading this thread

You mean your collection is now worth less than you paid for it, and this makes you happy?

Sits on piles of 3 for £5 scratchy crap LPs, and laughs. was that the floorboards/joists creaking then?

purlieu

Quote from: Pauline Walnuts on April 11, 2022, 11:03:15 AMYeah you do, apparently.

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/search/87704075/?q=Best+CD&o=relevance&c[node]=2

That's all about mastering though, vinyl can still have the same issues there. You know if you buy a CD it'll actually work as it's intended. During my brief period of buying vinyl I got so sick of ending up with record that were unlistenable due to bad pressings, pops and clicks and noise and distortion and even skipping.

Sebastian Cobb

It's nowhere near as common as a poor pressing in vinyl but certain cd pressings are prone to things like disc rot.

My concern with cd's is keeping the playback equipment alive, most of the components in a turntable can be machined by normal people so can be serviced pretty much indefinitely, even if I lack the skills myself. When replacement laser assemblies and transport parts become hard to source you could well be in trouble, I've had to replace the laser in my NAD deck, thankfully that was easy to source and replace.

purlieu

You won't find disc rot on anything produced after the early '90s. There were only a couple of plants responsible for it. Unfortunately they tended to be popular with smaller independents, making a lot of the releases affected already somewhat rare as it is. I was very happy when Steven Stapleton finally reissued a couple of early Nurse With Wound albums last year as both my copies had already begun to bronze.

I'm yet to need to replace any parts on any CD player I've owned. Probably be a pain some point down the line, although once I get my own place again I'm hoping to just use my BluRay player for everything.

kalowski

Only ever had skipping on old, second hand, ignored discs (apart from one brand new vinyl).
Surely the point nowadays of vinyl is just enjoying the larger artwork and the little ritual of putting the disc on. If you want the very best quality just get a flac download or similar.

purlieu

Depends. For me, when I've been forced to be without my CD collection, I've actually really struggled. I'm so used to browsing my shelves for something to listen to and I find scrolling through on the computer kind of overwhelming. There's also the element of physically 'owning' the release that makes me much more likely to put it on, for whatever reason. I only listen to stuff on my computer when there's no physical version.

That said, physical stuff is generally just a habitual/ritual thing now and if I grew up in the download era I would be utterly baffled by people wanting to clog their house up with bits of plastic that simply replicate something that takes up no space at all.

I've bought a few new skipping LPs over the years, though. Might have been unlucky, but I definitely had enough bad experiences with vinyl to make me decide to stick to CDs, aesthetically pleasing as LPs are.

holyzombiejesus

Chapterhouse (ha!) are reissuing their 2nd single. A 4 track 12". £23.49

lazyhour

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on June 13, 2022, 07:50:08 PMChapterhouse (ha!) are reissuing their 2nd single. A 4 track 12". £23.49

£27 from Rough Trade.

holyzombiejesus

About a tenner from Discogs.

SteveDave

I saw on the Facebook the other day a reissue of some mid-70s solo Bryan Ferry album and my first thought was, who wants this? Surely any Bryan Ferry maniac already has it. And if they don't, any second hand record shop in the world could sort you out a copy of "The Bride Stripped Bare" for £1. There's so much unnecessary reissues. There should be a committee who you have to go to and they take a look at Discogs and say "There's a million copies of this available already...fuck off"

When is Dynaflex coming back?

holyzombiejesus

Reissue of Deacon Blue's Raintown coming as part of the delayed RSD 'drop'. Fuck this shit.

Famous Mortimer

I'm having a similar experience with "targeted" ads for a reissue of "Sunburn" by the Blake Babies. Who on earth wanted this who didn't already own it? Almost entirely forgotten middle-of-the-road indie (sorry, "college rock"), and while there are presumably some fans of lead Blake Babies person Juliana Hatfield, I'm not sure her rather quiet career over the last...25 years or so?...warrants a reissue of anything.

Sebastian Cobb

I'd tolerate Dynaflex but draw the line at styrene.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on June 14, 2022, 02:50:25 PMReissue of Deacon Blue's Raintown coming as part of the delayed RSD 'drop'. Fuck this shit.

lol, aka the pressing plants couldn't get this out in time for the actual day but please buy this dressed-up edition regardless otherwise we're in the hole.

holyzombiejesus

Yeah, the list for the June releases is real desolation stuff. Go West and The Farm!

https://recordstoreday.co.uk/news/2022/a-guide-to-june-s-rsd-exclusives/

gilbertharding

gilbertharding

Quote from: The Mollusk on March 29, 2022, 06:13:46 PM

Me, a CD collector, reading this thread

Is that Roy Race?

axel2019

RSD is particularly bad for overpriced tat at the moment, but things like this still make me think its still worthwhile. The major labels just need to eff off

https://recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/14815

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: axel2019 on June 16, 2022, 10:30:15 AMRSD is particularly bad for overpriced tat at the moment, but things like this still make me think its still worthwhile. The major labels just need to eff off

https://recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/14815

I feel like a lot of this could just happen anyway without making it a big thing.

One of the ones this time around was Jarboe's Blood, Women, Roses which doesn't seem to be available to stream or download and doesn't appear to have had a cd release until 2022. By the time I realised I wanted it, it had sold out but I got a pristine copy from the 80's for half the price which given the hit and miss mastering standards of modern releases I found preferable anyway.

I did really enjoy the Santigold 'mix album' she did a few years back though.

checkoutgirl

I just dreamt that crunchy nut cornflakes were 16 quid for a very thin box. Rip off.

holyzombiejesus

The second round of RSD releases go online tonight. Just seen that thsi includes a 12" single of Madness' Baggy Trousers for £27.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on June 20, 2022, 01:13:06 PMThe second round of RSD releases go online tonight. Just seen that thsi includes a 12" single of Madness' Baggy Trousers for £27.

Christ! I've got One Step Beyond, which cost me next to nothing in a charity shop and let's face it that's their best. A wheeler-dealer mate gave me a copy of The Rise and Fall because they'd got it with some other stuff and couldn't be arsed listing it. Absolutely, which Baggy Trousers is on appears to have VG+ copies on discogs for less than 3 quid (excl postage).

Pauline Walnuts

Sebastian Cobb

'kin ell. Just preying on the weak.

the science eel

Quote from: purlieu on April 11, 2022, 04:00:19 PMYou won't find disc rot on anything produced after the early '90s. There were only a couple of plants responsible for it. Unfortunately they tended to be popular with smaller independents, making a lot of the releases affected already somewhat rare as it is. I was very happy when Steven Stapleton finally reissued a couple of early Nurse With Wound albums last year as both my copies had already begun to bronze.

I'm yet to need to replace any parts on any CD player I've owned. Probably be a pain some point down the line, although once I get my own place again I'm hoping to just use my BluRay player for everything.

I've never heard of replacing parts on a CD player. Is it that your machine is very expensive? Why not just buy a new one?

I threw out my old CD player last year (after 25 years of use), bought a new Marantz, cost me £350, should do for ten years or more.

the science eel

Quote from: Pauline Walnuts on June 21, 2022, 12:44:26 PMhttps://roughtrade.com/gb/roger-waters/amused-to-death-analogue-productions-edition/lp-x4

Now a 45 RPM 4LP and 2LP 200-gram set £189.99 and £89.99

I really don't understand why anyone alive would want such a thing.

Waters is a wanker, the 'music' is shit, it's overpriced. it's all absolute shit. Seriously! What gives?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: the science eel on June 21, 2022, 02:19:06 PMI've never heard of replacing parts on a CD player. Is it that your machine is very expensive? Why not just buy a new one?

I threw out my old CD player last year (after 25 years of use), bought a new Marantz, cost me £350, should do for ten years or more.

It's not uncommon for the lasers to fog up or wear out eventually. It happened to my NAD, the parts are pretty common, in my case it was a Sony laser that is present in all sorts of players, it cost £10.

purlieu

Quote from: the science eel on June 21, 2022, 02:19:06 PMI've never heard of replacing parts on a CD player. Is it that your machine is very expensive? Why not just buy a new one?

That was mostly in response to Sebastian Cobb's remark rather than a concern of my own.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: the science eel on June 21, 2022, 02:20:12 PMI really don't understand why anyone alive would want such a thing.

Waters is a wanker, the 'music' is shit, it's overpriced. it's all absolute shit. Seriously! What gives?

But, but... It's his best album! (That doesn't have Ron Geesin on it)