Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:55:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Fake bloopers

Started by Twilkes, June 13, 2022, 08:53:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin Van Buren Stan

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on June 14, 2022, 11:05:14 AMThis is now gone, blocked on copyright grounds. Seems coincidental that having been there since 2010 it would go in the 9 hours after being linked here - does a video on there being linked to trigger some kind of automatic check or something?

Just blocked in the UK. Maybe it always was? I just tried a Canadian VPN and it worked

Ron Superior

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 14, 2022, 11:04:33 AMIt's a theatre trick as old as the hills. Usually comes from a genuine unscripted cock-up and because it went down really well one night with the audience, that 'moment' is occasionally left in the show. It can be self indulgent and the 'off the cuff' corpsing and ad libs often become too polished, forced even, leaving only the slimmest trace of spontaneity.

A while ago, I can't remember what interview it was in, but Bob Mortimer said him and Vic used to do it in their live shows as Bob said the audience really enjoyed it. I was always surprised by that, and couldn't think of many instances of it happening. Nothing really from Big Night Out Live, or when I went to see them. From Big Night Out, the show itself maybe when Vic dribbles at the end of Wheel Of Justice? Not much though, always seemed a strange thing to manufacture.

famethrowa

Quote from: damien on June 14, 2022, 11:18:06 AMFunnily enough when i read the phrase 'fake bloopers' that was the first thing i thought of;

Me too, I thought of the foot in a bucket thing.

gilbertharding

All these modern American comedy films where all the jokes etc are improvised (usually featuring Steve Carell and that lot)... so over the credits they often have out-takes where the cast are rehearsing (if that's the right word) the improvisation and someone goes too far and there's laughing... is that a blooper? Properly?

Billy

Quote from: thenoise on June 13, 2022, 10:03:16 PMWeird example from Monty Python barely counts - the studio audience begin heckling a rather tasteless sketch about a funeral directors, before storming the stage in fury at hearing the punchline.

It was actually done at the insistence of the BBC, who were unhappy with the sketch and only allowed it if the audience could heckle it and show their disapproval. Which they were asked to do and complied - except they start heckling far too early, before anything really offensive was said. All very odd.

I have fond memories of first watching that as a kid and having no idea what was going on and thinking the audience had just gone completely fucking insane, just randomly screaming and shouting and running on stage. That was rather exhilarating.

Replies From View

Quote from: thenoise on June 13, 2022, 10:03:16 PMWeird example from Monty Python barely counts - the studio audience begin heckling a rather tasteless sketch about a funeral directors, before storming the stage in fury at hearing the punchline.

It was actually done at the insistence of the BBC, who were unhappy with the sketch and only allowed it if the audience could heckle it and show their disapproval. Which they were asked to do and complied - except they start heckling far too early, before anything really offensive was said. All very odd.

I think them getting out of their seats and pouring onto the stage felt too obviously set-up, but the initial audible reactions that you can tell are no longer laughter are fantastically surreal moments to experience.  If they'd kept it as only that - some form of inexplicably angry heckling - I think it would have been stronger.  Especially if it had been for a sketch that couldn't have been taken as offensive in even your wildest dreams.

HamishMacbeth

Quote from: Utter Shit on June 13, 2022, 10:18:18 AMOne of Mrs. Brown's Boys many crimes is the inclusion of obviously planned bloopers.

I hate this sort of cynicism, because a genuine blooper reel can be one of the great funny things for me purely BECAUSE it's so organic and real. The Anchorman 2 outtakes kill me every time, same with the "Bishop Muzurewa" blooper from The Office.

I've never seen Mrs. Brown's Boys but how does this work? They run at the end or something?

Replies From View

I'm presuming they find their brilliant jokes about fudge packers and sausage stuffers so amusing that they smirk about them quite profusely

HamishMacbeth

Quote from: Replies From View on June 14, 2022, 07:06:46 PMI'm presuming they find their brilliant jokes about fudge packers and sausage stuffers so amusing that they smirk about them quite profusely

This would genuinely anger me.

Quote from: HamishMacbeth on June 14, 2022, 05:50:05 PMI've never seen Mrs. Brown's Boys but how does this work? They run at the end or something?

There are a handful of moments scattered throughout each episode where the cast pretend to fluff lines or stifle laughter at a written gag.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Evian Mousemat on June 14, 2022, 09:42:32 PMThere are a handful of moments scattered throughout each episode where the cast pretend to fluff lines or stifle laughter at a written gag.

Break the fourth wall, show the audience on camera etc etc. It's very pantomime.

Replies From View

In the sense that it is very shite

Menu

Quote from: Replies From View on June 14, 2022, 10:18:20 AMIt's the 'Cheer Up Charlie' of comedy writing.  Physically impossible to watch because you start sensing your body ageing and you panic and reflexively hit fast-forward.

I've seen one episode of him trying to do a Michael Palin style travel programme, and that was rubbish too.

Maybe he's just not very good outside of work with Mel Smith.

Ha! And, worse, I seem to remember there was a TEAM of writers dribbling this stuff out. Surely a comedy colossus like Griff could come up with five vaguely amusing links to a package of out-takes. What's happened to Griff, RFV?

Menu

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 14, 2022, 11:04:33 AMIt's a theatre trick as old as the hills. Usually comes from a genuine unscripted cock-up and because it went down really well one night with the audience, that 'moment' is occasionally left in the show. It can be self indulgent and the 'off the cuff' corpsing and ad libs often become too polished, forced even, leaving only the slimmest trace of spontaneity.

Still can't believe they did it. It seems so unlike them to be so fake. I'm probably over-thinking it.

Menu

Quote from: Evian Mousemat on June 14, 2022, 09:42:32 PMThere are a handful of moments scattered throughout each episode where the cast pretend to fluff lines or stifle laughter at a written gag.

God I hate that.

kalowski

Quote from: Glebe on June 14, 2022, 07:52:20 AMAlexei Sayle did this, didn't he?
I have this memory of him showing a "blooper" clip.
"All i had to say was "My father was a follower of communism.""
But he bursts into song.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Billy on June 14, 2022, 04:40:27 PMI have fond memories of first watching that as a kid and having no idea what was going on and thinking the audience had just gone completely fucking insane, just randomly screaming and shouting and running on stage. That was rather exhilarating.

I think what makes that sketch even more odd is the initial cut to the audience, and a lot of them are just sat in their seats, smiling away, happy as Larry. Then, after a specific section of the audience have " stormed the set", the national anthem plays ( as part of a running joke featured throughout that episode), and everyone, sketch cast member and outraged audience member alike, stands to attention. By now it should be apparent to the viewers at home that the whole thing was a set up, so what was point?

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Menu on June 15, 2022, 02:02:40 AMStill can't believe they did it. It seems so unlike them to be so fake. I'm probably over-thinking it.

Personally, I don't like this trick either, but its incorporation towards the end of a show can refuel the audience and it makes them feel like they've had an exclusive experience.  However, sometimes certain moments in a production can induce genuine nightly corpsing because it has become 'a thing' for the actors.

There is also 'over-egging an unscripted moment'. Decades ago, I was in a stage production of some Restoration comedy at a Hampstead theatre. In one performance, the lead sat back into a chair rather too enthusiastically and it collapsed into pieces. The other actor quickly ad libbed some chair-related quip and brought the house down. Naturally, the rest of the cast wanted a piece of the laughter action so throughout the next few scenes, a few of them were slipping in their shit chair accident references at any given opportunity. Mostly, to stony silence. The director left the auditorium and crept backstage angrily whispering to everybody, "No more fucking chair jokes!"

Replies From View

It's a much greater skill to not over-egg these kinds of moments.  When something brilliant and unscripted happens it takes a lot more self control to not turn to the audience with an "oop, did you notice that!" face.  There's a lot to be said for staying in character.

Jake Thingray

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on June 15, 2022, 06:56:18 AMI think what makes that sketch even more odd is the initial cut to the audience, and a lot of them are just sat in their seats, smiling away, happy as Larry. Then, after a specific section of the audience have " stormed the set", the national anthem plays ( as part of a running joke featured throughout that episode), and everyone, sketch cast member and outraged audience member alike, stands to attention. By now it should be apparent to the viewers at home that the whole thing was a set up, so what was point?

Expect I've mentioned this before, but when that episode was repeated in 1987/88ish, one of the kids at the awful school for loony kids I was at genuinely thought the reason the audience rushed on stage was because they wanted to join in with the cannibalism.

Replies From View

That actually makes more sense in lots of ways.  And I prefer it.

JesusAndYourBush

Talking of fake bloopers, has anyone encountered any of the albums released by some guy (who should be in the American daft names thread) called Kermit Schafer?  They're a mixture real bloopers, re-recordings of real (or apocryphal) bloopers, and downright fakes.  The easiest fakes to spot are anything that purports to be from the BBC as whoever created those ones seems to have no clue what the BBC is/was supposed to sound like.  I just looked on Discogs and was surprised by how many different albums there are, I thought it was just a handful but there's dozens of them.

McChesney Duntz

Oh, it wasn't just albums - Schafer had a whole industry based around them (I'm pretty sure he was the guy who coined the term "blooper" to begin with), which meant, at the time, a series of books. Just pages and pages of supposed transcriptions of DJs introducing "Simon and Garfuckel" and newscasters reporting on the "looney landing - I mean, lunar!" Hundreds of pages of them. I think I read three of those books. A 27 IQ I had.

Tilt Araiza

Schafer's shamelessness gets even better. In 1974 he released a movie of Pardon My Blooper, with weird montages of footage and bizarre shots of people miming to his phony outtakes. The budget appears to be in negative dollars and it has a real "Remain Indoors" vibe. NSFW because of totally real footage of a TV station showing a sex scene that is definitely legit and necessary.

peteprodge

Quote from: checkoutgirl on June 13, 2022, 01:07:23 PMOpen University Blooper Reel | A Bit of Fry & Laurie

I'm pretty sure Hale & Pace ripped that sketch off for their LWT series, using some different science/numbers and much cheaper and obvious wigs.