Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 09:38:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Boys (Diabolical, Season 3 etc.)

Started by up_the_hampipe, March 04, 2022, 09:28:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poobum

Glad to say this is really good. The Termite scene is not something I expected to ever see, strangely glad to have done, magnificently disturbing. Only mild criticism is I got a bit fatigued at how awful all the supes are. Hopefully Starlight does something other than being a
Spoiler alert
helpless hostage
[close]

Butchers Blind

Yeah never thought I'd see a
Spoiler alert
CGI japs eye
[close]

up_the_hampipe

Yeah, that Termite scene was something else! Although I was most disturbed by
Spoiler alert
The Deep eating Timothy.
[close]
First three eps were great overall, I have a feeling that
Spoiler alert
Stan Edgar is going to get obliterated by Homelander by the end of the season, he's got far too cocky with the feeling of leverage he has.
[close]

I'm still not really sold on Soldier Boy. He's probably not as powerful as Homelander and Ackles' performance isn't really convincing for me, especially in comparison to Antony Starr. It just feels like treading water. I'm hopeful there's more exciting stuff coming though.

Poobum

Initially I thought
Spoiler alert
Termite was doing a felch and was relieved it was not an anus
[close]
which I'm not gonna try and unpack. The Timothy scene was horrible but I couldn't even watch
Spoiler alert
Hughie get his arm broken
[close]

BritishHobo

Without getting too much into spoiler territory, could any fans of the comics give an idea of roughly how much plot the show has left to get through? I know from reading some posts that it's diverged in some ways, so that may be a non-question. I'm just interested because I really enjoyed the first three episodes, but it's left me hoping that the overall story gets a good wrap-up in the short-term. I don't really want to still be watching at season 7, with Homelander still undefeated.

The fact that a spin-off is already in the works doesn't fill me with massive joy.

up_the_hampipe

I believe Eric Kripke has said about 5 seasons. It has diverged from the comics in a pretty pivotal way, but I think there is an ending already mapped out.

I don't see this show as The Walking Dead, the writing is a lot sharper and it all seems to have purpose.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

This has never been a show I go out of my way for (I only watched the new episodes because I was house sitting for some friends and had access to their Prime Video account) but it's always enjoyable when I do watch it. They're really getting their money's worth from the exploding body effects.

I wasn't expecting Homelander to take off the proverbial mask so soon. Then again, "I can do whatever the fuck I want" seems to have been his catchphrase since the first series. Despite his little chat with Butcher, I'm guessing things aren't going to escalate to all out war just yet.

I thought the bloke playing young Edgar did a really good job, although I feel like Edgar would be the type to have always had his hair straightened, even as a young man.

Gulftastic

Fuck me, Anthony Starr is so bloody good.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Butchers Blind on June 03, 2022, 07:42:50 PMYeah never thought I'd see a
Spoiler alert
CGI japs eye
[close]

According to Kripke, that was practical. They built that thing and it was gigantic.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Mobius

enjoying this a lot so far, seems better than I remember series 2 being.

Why doesn't Homelander just kill Gus Fring? I can't remember what he has over him other than all the commercial stuff

Dunno what exactly it is but I just can't stand the French bloke. Rubbish actor and character, annoys the shit out of me

dissolute ocelot

It's taken a while to set up what way season 3 is going, but the action/FX scenes are great so far, and looking forward to Antony Starr going even crazier. I really can't stand Hughie or Starlight, but hopefully they're going to suffer lots.

Quote from: Mobius on June 05, 2022, 03:01:15 AMDunno what exactly it is but I just can't stand the French bloke. Rubbish actor and character, annoys the shit out of me

It's just everything about him. His terrible clothes, his exaggerated accent (he's Israeli). He was first introduced in season 1 as being a valuable part of the team but he's done nothing since then other than babysit and look stupid and dopey. Not looking forward to what they've got in store for him this season
Spoiler alert
but I can definitely do without him talking about BDSM, or being involved in some kind of love triangle or sexiness with his ex. Ick. (Seems as though there might be a lot of love triangles this season.)
[close]

up_the_hampipe

I know Starr gets a lot of the praise on this show, and rightfully so, but I love Chace Crawford as The Deep. He's probably my second favourite character. He should venture into more comedies, his timing and delivery is great. It definitely helps that he seems to have no shame as a performer either. 

BeardFaceMan

When do new eps come out, are they coming out weekly from now on?

up_the_hampipe

Yep, one a week every Friday.

Herogasm is episode 6 which has a lot of hype around it. Sounds like the cast and crew were traumatised by the experience.

BeardFaceMan

After seeing what they done with the season so far I'm very excited to see what they do with Herogasm, they're definitely not holding back.

Povidone

Enjoying this season so far after a bit of a laggy, directionless second season. They're really amping up the more twisted aspects of it. That lingering shot of Starlight's clenched fist at the end of episode three was a subtly disturbing moment, I feel like beyond the sheer outrageousness of it this Herogasm episode is going to have some pretty devastating consequences.

I'm not on the Frenchie hate train (I thought it was meant to be pretty obvious that he's not actually French even before it was made explicit), quite liked him when he turned up in the first season but I agree he hasn't been given much interesting to do. Compared to how the comics approach the characters, there's far less development of the supes. The changes definitely work in the show's favour for the most part but I do worry any Boys who aren't named Butcher are getting short shrift.

On the subject of the comics this week I finally started reading through them, on issue 40 already. Main thing that's kept me away for so long has been the art style, every frame I'd seen previously just looked horrible, not in a deliberate 'highlighting the gotesque and repulsive to accentuate the themes' sort of way but just...not that good drawing, ugly and kind of childlike and not good to look at. I do realise comic book artists work hard and a variety of art styles abound, I suppose this one just doesn't do it for me. I've enjoyed the books and found them enagaging despite this but I wonder if anybody else feels the same way?

madhair60

No, I think the art in The Boys is rather good. I've seen people express dislike of Darick's work before and I've never really got why. Each to their own mind.

Dr Rock

Quotenot that good drawing, ugly and kind of childlike and not good to look at.

Feel the same way about the art I've seen, don't like it.

Povidone

Quote from: madhair60 on June 08, 2022, 12:57:43 AMNo, I think the art in The Boys is rather good. I've seen people express dislike of Darick's work before and I've never really got why. Each to their own mind.

Aye totally. I think it stands out to me because this is the first time I've really felt that way about an comic book artist's work, I can usually find something to like.

13 schoolyards

Compared to the slick polish of modern superhero comic art, Robinson's work definitely can come across as a bit ugly. But that's part of the appeal. The comic wouldn't work (or would at least be very different) if all the posing supes actually looked heroic and god-like.

olliebean

Anyone know how to get the new episode to appear in the Prime Video apps? It seems to be there on the website, but not in the apps.

niat

Quote from: olliebean on June 10, 2022, 01:18:52 PMAnyone know how to get the new episode to appear in the Prime Video apps? It seems to be there on the website, but not in the apps.

I checked about a minute ago and it was there on my iOS app. It wasn't there this morning.

Dr Rock

up_the_hampipe

Yeah, that might be one of the best episodes they've done, if not the best. Plenty of man bums too.

I'd heard about
Spoiler alert
Soldier Boy's ability to diminish powers, but I wasn't sure if it was true. Looks like they found their weapon, but it'll be a "Whose side will he choose?" situation going forward. I'm excited to see a bunch of Supes trying to gang up on Homelander in the finale, regardless of how it turns out.
[close]

Poobum

So is this setting up that
Spoiler alert
Soldier Boy neutralized Kimiko's power and he's going to do that to Homelander?
[close]
Also, one of these dickhead supes needs to die, the reinforcing what absolute scum they are is getting tiresome without 'em suffering consequences for it.

Dr Rock

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Dr Rock on June 10, 2022, 04:53:20 PMEpisode 4 was the business.
I was certainly impressed how episode 4 destroyed most of my theories about how this series was going to go. It'll be lots of fun to see how wrong I can be about subsequent episodes.

C_Larence

MAJOR COMIC SPOILERS

Spoiler alert
I really hope they don't stray too far from Black Noir's arc in the comics, but it looks like they probably are, unless the reveal in episode 3 was a fakeout.  Anthony Starr even has experience playing identical twins so it feels like a waste not to use that
[close]