Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:54:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Watching "Fresh Meat"

Started by Mobius, June 12, 2022, 10:27:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neveragain

Yeah, that sounds a bit unpleasant.

Edit: New page wank protest.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: BritishHobo on June 15, 2022, 03:56:16 PMI'm glad to read this as I think this character did get a bit of a kicking at the time for being too over-the-top. I thought he was great, I loved the bit where they 'break up':

https://youtu.be/KaiNOliM0fU

"Oh, you have feelings now Howard, well well done you."

I mean, he is over-the-top, but not exactly out of place in a show like this. Him getting pissy and stalking Howard is really funny. I think there's a bit where Howard turns his lunch invitation down and he tries to save face by saying it was a "satire on the outdated concept of meal times".

TheGingerAlien

It didn't all work, but overall was good - and I think the points about the soundtrack changes are relevant. It kind of traded off the young ones / spaced vibe - and that sort of stuff makes or break.

Lovely to see the folks involved moving on to do other great work though. Not really surprising at all.

Mobius

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on June 15, 2022, 08:53:35 PMHe's never seen, but Howard (somehow) gets hold of some footage of him wanking in an unusual manner.

Paul Lamb Invisible Man's mum came over and said he'd had a meltdown and to keep an eye on him whilst he came back to finish his last bit of the course, which to Howard meant install CCTV in his room. He unwisely showed the wanking footage to Kingsley and JP and it then found its way to the poshos.

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on June 15, 2022, 09:02:30 PMhe tries to save face by saying it was a "satire on the outdated concept of meal times".

That bit is great. He then lobs a brick through the window. Think the last we see of him is Josie's scary Welsh fiancee nutting him.

Just realised the main posho 'baddie' is Lawrence Fox's brother

Icehaven

I thought it was Lawrence Fox.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Mobius on June 15, 2022, 09:24:49 PMThat bit is great. He then lobs a brick through the window. Think the last we see of him is Josie's scary Welsh fiancee nutting him.

Yes! I replayed the bit of him being grabbed by the bollocks more times than I'd like to admit. It's that weird, unexpected falsetto noise he makes, coupled with the swift comeuppance for his overconfidence. Great moment.

Quote from: Mobius on June 15, 2022, 09:24:49 PMJust realised the main posho 'baddie' is Lawrence Fox's brother

Is it actually? They're very similar, but I assumed that was just a result of "good breeding".

Mobius

yeah, can't believe I didn't realise actually. They've got the same nose

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Fox_(actor)

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Mobius on June 15, 2022, 10:05:21 PMyeah, can't believe I didn't realise actually. They've got the same nose

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Fox_(actor)

Wikipedia says he is part of the "Fox Dynasty", which has its own page. Dynasty?!

Martin Van Buren Stan

I certainly hope he does "die nasty"

Captain Z

Good lord, I thought there was a whiff of grey sweaty fox about him.

Noodle Lizard

Inspired (and maybe prescient) casting for the role, though, I'll give them that.

Never bothered watching this because I lived a couple of doors up from the house when they filmed the first two series and the production team were inconsiderate cunts. I lost several nights of sleep thanks to them lighting up the back garden and making my bedroom incredibly bright all through the night.

Though it was a bit surreal/fun to come home from the pub on a Friday night to find Jack Whitehall and Gary: Tank Commander dicking around outside my flat.

BritishHobo

It seems like everyone in the Fox dynasty other than Lawrence has cottoned on to the fact that there are a wealth of opportunities in puncturing their own privilege playing repellent posh characters, like Freddie Fox in The Riot Club.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: BritishHobo on June 16, 2022, 07:19:43 AMIt seems like everyone in the Fox dynasty other than Lawrence has cottoned on to the fact that there are a wealth of opportunities in puncturing their own privilege playing repellent posh characters, like Freddie Fox in The Riot Club.
It's kind of fascinating reading about all the Foxes, it definitely was a dynasty. Emilia, Jack and L*wrence's great-great-grandfather was industrialist and philanthropist Samson Fox, who co-founded the Royal College of Music, and Samson's son married Hilda Hanbury, an actor who worked with Henry Beerbohm Tree. This union produced Robin Fox, an actor and very successful theatrical agent, who married Angela Worthington, the subject of Noel Coward's "Don't Put Your Daughter On The Stage, Mrs Worthington". Robin and Angela were parents of Edward and James Fox and grandparents of Emilia, Jack and L*wrence. They were also related by marriage to Ellen Terry, and Robin allegedly fucked Princess Marina of Greece and Denmark amongst many conquests.

Thosworth

Quote from: TheGingerAlien on June 15, 2022, 09:07:02 PMLovely to see the folks involved moving on to do other great work though. Not really surprising at all.

The cast became great friends and messaged each other daily for years afterwards. Which is nice.

Icehaven

Has Paul Lamb ever turned up in an "unseen characters" thread or did Fresh Meat not have quite enough impact for that?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

He did, but no one noticed.

TheGingerAlien

Quote from: Thosworth on June 16, 2022, 01:08:32 PMThe cast became great friends and messaged each other daily for years afterwards. Which is nice.

Yeah I think that speaks volumes in terms of the casting. Succession seems to have a similarly good vibe.

On a related note - Wikipedia tells me that Jesse Armstrong and Sam Bain co-created Peep Show alongside "Andrew O'Connor". Well fuck my magical hat.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: TheGingerAlien on June 16, 2022, 06:17:52 PMOn a related note - Wikipedia tells me that Jesse Armstrong and Sam Bain co-created Peep Show alongside "Andrew O'Connor". Well fuck my magical hat.
The former Talkabout/Win, Lose, And Draw/On The Waterfront presenter seems to be a successful producer, with Derrin Brown and on classic shows such as Bob Monkhouse's Comedy Heroes, TV Heaven, Telly Hell and Ricky Gervais Meets.... Since O'Connor directed Magicians (2007) which Armstrong and Bain wrote and Mitchell and Webb starred in, I assume they all have some interest in pulling rabbits out of things and stabbing knives into boxes.

Icehaven

Quote from: purlieu on June 14, 2022, 04:52:53 PMYeah, it probably didn't jar too much if you were watching it as it went out, but I went through the whole thing in one go last year and the timeline is, sadly, nonsense.

Yep, I'm having a rewatch and I'm up to halfway through S2, which is their 2nd term. Josie broke up with Dave around the same time JP's dad died, which would have only been about 3-4 months ago, yet already Dave is getting married and JP's Mum is moving in with her new partner.

TheGingerAlien

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on June 17, 2022, 11:22:05 AMI assume they all have some interest in pulling rabbits out of things and stabbing knives into boxes.

Illuminati confirmed!

Captain Z

Quote from: neveragain on June 12, 2022, 11:21:49 PMand her one fourth-wall breaking look to camera which I found hilarious.

When is this? I had no memory of it. If it's the final episode of series 1, then I don't think she's actually looking into the camera.

neveragain

I think it was in the last series, and somewhere outside like a marquee at a wedding.

Icehaven

Quote from: Captain Z on June 19, 2022, 10:08:06 PMWhen is this? I had no memory of it. If it's the final episode of series 1, then I don't think she's actually looking into the camera.

Quote from: neveragain on June 19, 2022, 10:47:37 PMI think it was in the last series, and somewhere outside like a marquee at a wedding.

No it's the last episode of the first series, right near the end when they're at a party and it's prompted by Oregon going off to talk to a bloke. She's definitely looking at the camera.

Thosworth

Quote from: Icehaven on June 21, 2022, 07:26:45 AMNo it's the last episode of the first series, right near the end when they're at a party and it's prompted by Oregon going off to talk to a bloke. She's definitely looking at the camera.

It's here at 32.30: https://www.channel4.com/programmes/fresh-meat/on-demand/51501-008

I hate to say it as I love a look to camera, but in this instance I'm fairly certain she accidentally looks at the camera as she's turning her head, but ends the shot looking off to the right. Exhibits A and B here; it's clearer in motion:

Captain Z

Yeah, I just watched it the other day and I'm sure it's supposed to be a stare off into the middle distance in frustration at Oregon.

Blue Jam

Be fair to Jack fox please guys, he's not his brother. And he seems to wash a lot more often:

https://metro.co.uk/2020/10/23/sixty-seconds-jack-fox-laurence-woke-riviera-draco-13468521/

Josie's scary Welsh fiancé is another great character. I've met plenty of people like that, people you never quite know where you stand with, properly intimidating.

Icehaven

Quote from: Thosworth on June 21, 2022, 09:15:16 AMIt's here at 32.30: https://www.channel4.com/programmes/fresh-meat/on-demand/51501-008

I hate to say it as I love a look to camera, but in this instance I'm fairly certain she accidentally looks at the camera as she's turning her head, but ends the shot looking off to the right. Exhibits A and B here; it's clearer in motion:

Maybe it's perception but to me she's looking right at the camera with a "Well how do you like that?!" expression for the audience. Even if it's accidental I imagine they left it in as it works either way.

Utter Shit

Quote from: Thosworth on June 21, 2022, 09:15:16 AMIt's here at 32.30: https://www.channel4.com/programmes/fresh-meat/on-demand/51501-008

Don't see this at all, she looks directly at the camera and holds her stare as far as I can see. As @Icehaven says, to me it reads as her saying "are you seeing this shit?" to the audience.