Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:47:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Adam Buxton Podcast Thread II: You're MAI WAIF now

Started by Phil_A, March 05, 2021, 11:37:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icehaven

For some reason taking a lookalike Jarvis on tour isn't that funny in itself but taking one from Stars In Their Eyes is hilarious. I like to think Jarvis joked about them firing him because he ripped the suit but really it was because he was running about pulling women and trying to get free stuff pretending to be the real thing.
Presumably this is him

The Roofdog

The one time I saw Pulp was on that tour, I'd forgotten all about the lookalike

somersetchris

Quote from: Icehaven on June 16, 2022, 05:14:45 PMPresumably this is him

I never watched Stars In Their Eyes but he got to the Grand Final? Jesus Christ.

somersetchris

Made it through an entire episode without mentioning cancel culture once, well done Adam!

Icehaven

Quote from: somersetchris on June 16, 2022, 10:44:15 PMI never watched Stars In Their Eyes but he got to the Grand Final? Jesus Christ.

Yep he doesn't really look or sound anything like him, any tall skinny bloke in the same clothes could get away with it.

The Roofdog

The most distinctive thing about Cocker's voice is that rich baritone which this bloke gets nowhere near. Certainly no Chris de Burgh (but then who is)

turnstyle

Also, was there a mix up with the backing dancers? I can only assume there was a Herman and the Hermits impressionist up next and the dancing ladies came on too early.

Ferris

Quote from: The Roofdog on June 17, 2022, 08:13:35 AMThe most distinctive thing about Cocker's voice is that rich baritone which this bloke gets nowhere near. Certainly no Chris de Burgh (but then who is)

The absolute worst bit of Stars in their Eyes was the clapping after the first line of singing when everyone turns to their nan and says "ooh dunnee sound just like 'im!" Clap clap clap.

Happens for every fucker, even the ones that are dogshit. Contemptible.

Thosworth

Quote from: Ferris on June 17, 2022, 02:25:20 PMThe absolute worst bit of Stars in their Eyes was the clapping after the first line of singing when everyone turns to their nan and says "ooh dunnee sound just like 'im!" Clap clap clap.

Isn't that a thing though? Like in all the late period Sinatra and Elvis recordings, and lounge type singers, there'll be a 30 second intro where you can tell exactly what song is coming up, then they sing the first line, and there is a sudden round of applause. Never understood that.

Ferris

It's still annoying, but less so.

Elvis is probably worthy of applause, a man doing a bad impression of Jarvis Cocker is not. To be honest, a man doing a good impression of Jarvis Cocker is only of limited applause-value.

(That said. Who, at an Elvis concert, where they've paid to hear Elvis sing his songs, hears the first bit of a song as sung by Elvis, and applauds. What else were they expecting? Clap at the end, you utter herberts.)

popcorn

Quote from: Ferris on June 17, 2022, 02:25:20 PMThe absolute worst bit of Stars in their Eyes was the clapping after the first line of singing when everyone turns to their nan and says "ooh dunnee sound just like 'im!" Clap clap clap.

I was always puzzled by this - it was hard to predict exactly when the applause would arrive, it appeared to be arbitrary and senseless. I assume it was cued by the stage managers.

Ferris

Quote from: popcorn on June 17, 2022, 03:19:41 PMI was always puzzled by this - it was hard to predict exactly when the applause would arrive, it appeared to be arbitrary and senseless. I assume it was cued by the stage managers.

Whenever the nation's nans say "ooh dunnee sound just like 'im!"

I remember thinking how unlikely it was that a load of old dears would spontaneously start cheering when the man on stage sounded just like him out of Nine Inch Nails.

Ferris

somersetchris

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on June 17, 2022, 04:16:34 PMI remember thinking how unlikely it was that a load of old dears would spontaneously start cheering when the man on stage sounded just like him out of Nine Inch Nails.

I mean if anyone had done Nine Inch Nails I might have watched it.

"ooh, is this the one that goes 'I'm gonna fuck you like an animal', I like that one"

Martin Van Buren Stan

Now I'm imagining you as that guy from resovoir dogs who says waitresses should only be tipped for exceptional service

Ferris

Quote from: Martin Van Buren Stan on June 17, 2022, 07:54:48 PMNow I'm imagining you as that guy from resovoir dogs who says waitresses should only be tipped for exceptional service

I live in North America; I tip like a madman because that's the style.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Ferris on June 17, 2022, 03:17:12 PMIt's still annoying, but less so.

Elvis is probably worthy of applause, a man doing a bad impression of Jarvis Cocker is not. To be honest, a man doing a good impression of Jarvis Cocker is only of limited applause-value.

(That said. Who, at an Elvis concert, where they've paid to hear Elvis sing his songs, hears the first bit of a song as sung by Elvis, and applauds. What else were they expecting? Clap at the end, you utter herberts.)

Americans, innit. They applaud the nutty neighbour in a sitcom when he makes his first entrance.

Sonny_Jim

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on June 17, 2022, 04:16:34 PMI remember thinking how unlikely it was that a load of old dears would spontaneously start cheering when the man on stage sounded just like him out of Nine Inch Nails.
Margeret, put it in yer mooth

Was in Canada for work for 6 weeks, took until week 5 for me to realise that you are supposed to tip even if you didn't think the service was that good.

paddy72

I really enjoyed the new episode with Yola, whose work I was previously unaware of.

Good one for the music nerds – as a hoary old blues dog, I was immediately on board when she mentioned Little Feat and talked about the importance of 'pocket' and 'groove'.

Her current album is a banger, reckon she'll go down well at Glastonbury this weekend.

Mr Vegetables

I'm surprised Adam's daughter's friends don't know who Lois Theroux is; I thought he'd become an improbable Tik-Tok sensation in the last month or so. Maybe if Adam had called him "the jiggle-jiggle man" or something? I haven't listened beyond the intro; maybe this happens

beanheadmcginty

Virgo76

Quote from: Mr Vegetables on July 17, 2022, 04:43:30 PMI'm surprised Adam's daughter's friends don't know who Lois Theroux is; I thought he'd become an improbable Tik-Tok sensation in the last month or so. Maybe if Adam had called him "the jiggle-jiggle man" or something? I haven't listened beyond the intro; maybe this happens
Yes. It's mentioned in the post-Ramblechat bit at the end. She says his TikTok thing (whatever that is) did provoke a bit of a reaction.
I wasn't terribly excited by the Louis interview this time. Adam got the year wrong at the start and that's usually my favourite bit.
I really enjoyed the recent interview with John Higgs though. I never knew him before but am now quite into him now.
No more Buckles until the autumn now. Pah!

The Ombudsman

Enjoyed the Louis one, not much silliness but an interesting listen. I've often wondered what children of public figures think about their parents putting everyone out there. Was pleased Novak's impression got a mention.

Shaky

Yeah, not as "fun" as previous encounters perhaps but Louis was pretty candid throughout, which made for an equally interesting listen. He's always been a bit inscrutable but it felt like we saw under the bonnet a bit more. Must have a read of his recent books sometime.

The Ombudsman

He sounded more comfortable in talking about his personal life I felt.

Mobbd

Peh! Mildly interesting chat with Louis. Not very good really. Surprisingly dull.

Higgs was the best chat in this latest batch. Strong introduction to his work. I want to read his books about the 20th and 21st centuries now.

somersetchris

Quote from: Mobbd on July 18, 2022, 02:01:24 PMPeh! Mildly interesting chat with Louis. Not very good really. Surprisingly dull.

Higgs was the best chat in this latest batch. Strong introduction to his work. I want to read his books about the 20th and 21st centuries now.

So was it mildly interesting or surprisingly dull?

Mobbd

Quote from: somersetchris on July 18, 2022, 05:07:25 PMSo was it mildly interesting or surprisingly dull?

Both! Louis is usually very interesting. He has seen much and is a good storyteller. This was merely mildly interesting and thus surprisingly dull.