Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:55:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Boys (Diabolical, Season 3 etc.)

Started by up_the_hampipe, March 04, 2022, 09:28:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom_power

Quote from: C_Larence on June 15, 2022, 07:53:41 PMMAJOR COMIC SPOILERS

Spoiler alert
I really hope they don't stray too far from Black Noir's arc in the comics, but it looks like they probably are, unless the reveal in episode 3 was a fakeout.  Anthony Starr even has experience playing identical twins so it feels like a waste not to use that
[close]

Spoiler alert
Didn't that Black Noir get killed? That would leave the comic version still on the table
[close]

C_Larence

Quote from: phantom_power on June 16, 2022, 08:06:51 AM
Spoiler alert
Didn't that Black Noir get killed? That would leave the comic version still on the table
[close]

Spoiler alert
He was horribly wounded but ee didn't see him die. I'm hoping it's a fakeout to make people think that's why he wears the mask and doesn't talk, but there have been other instances that don't add up, like all the "nut allergy" stuff from season 2
[close]

up_the_hampipe

Bit of a frustrating episode this week, far too much
Spoiler alert
"this isn't the right way!" talk with Starlight and MM. Not enough progression on the Soldier Boy storyline. We knew they're going to try and use him as the weapon, so get to that conclusion quicker. I did enjoy Paul Reiser though.
[close]

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: C_Larence on June 16, 2022, 12:56:10 PM
Spoiler alert
He was horribly wounded but ee didn't see him die. I'm hoping it's a fakeout to make people think that's why he wears the mask and doesn't talk, but there have been other instances that don't add up, like all the "nut allergy" stuff from season 2
[close]
Spoiler alert
We've seen Black Noir semi-unmasked before and he was a  black man with visible burn scars. I just assumed last week's flashback was an origin story of sorts. It does seem very much like they're not going to do the comic arc, although that's not to say they can't bring a clone in still, it's just unlikely to be Black Noir.
[close]

SteveDave

Spoiler alert
Reiser does good Robert Evans
[close]

jobotic

It's a bit too much this series. It's really good but just unceaselessly grim.

phantom_power

That's pretty accurate to the comics to be fair

jobotic

Yeah I've read them, although a long time ago, and I think I felt the same way.

It's not really a criticism, just my mood.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on June 17, 2022, 11:39:51 AMBit of a frustrating episode this week, far too much
Spoiler alert
"this isn't the right way!" talk with Starlight and MM. Not enough progression on the Soldier Boy storyline. We knew they're going to try and use him as the weapon, so get to that conclusion quicker. I did enjoy Paul Reiser though.
[close]
I loved the dancing and the Robert Evans stuff, but it felt like they needed to scale it down and save some money after last week, hence all the conversations. Hopefully just temporary.

Mobius

I fucking hated that dancing bollocks. What a load of shit.

Rest was alright though

Neomod

Quote from: Mobius on June 18, 2022, 11:36:40 AMI fucking hated that dancing bollocks. What a load of shit.

Scrubs deleted scene

It was a bit incongruous.

Povidone

I've been wondering for a while if the American propensity to chuck musical episodes in is due to so many actors having had training in all aspects of showbiz. Like they've demanded some kind of contractual obligation that they get to show off those skills in shows where the vast majority of the audience couldn't give a shit about musicals.

phantom_power

Quote from: jobotic on June 18, 2022, 09:43:33 AMYeah I've read them, although a long time ago, and I think I felt the same way.

It's not really a criticism, just my mood.

Yeah I know what you mean. Sometimes I have to wait a day or two to watch a new episode as I am not in the right frame of mind

up_the_hampipe

Herogasm should be going up at around 1am. Excited and somewhat nervous about this one.

Promo here: https://twitter.com/TheBoysTV/status/1539269519134404608

Povidone

Im terrified about this episode..although the herogasm comic wasnt that bad in the end when i read it, more graphic than is normal but nothing that made me want to gouge my eyes out or anything.

jobotic

I can't even remember it that well from the comic. Didn't Preacher have the most vile sexcapades?

And The Boys on TV might have little fellas going in a pinger and a French bloke alluding to S&M but it's still a programme where people keep their clothes on to have "normal" sex. And ladies keep the sheets above their nipples when they're done.

It's a TV programme.

up_the_hampipe

I don't think anyone's worried about genitals, we've seen plenty of penis already. It's more to do with the potential disturbing aspects. After all, it's a show about powerful people with horrendous morals and vices. It's certainly made an impact on the cast and crew, this episode had to be heavily edited in 4 countries to legally air, and Antony Starr doesn't want to watch it. Some of this could just be promotional hype, but I don't think Kripe and co. would do that if it's not going to deliver in some way.

BeardFaceMan

It all depends on the tone of it, really. Is it going to be played for laughs, in which case it will be great, or is it going to be all daaaaark, which will be less interesting for me, Clive.

up_the_hampipe

Seems like it'll be largely for laughs, but potentially something darker as it goes on.  I trust them on how they'll handle it tonally, unlike the comics.

up_the_hampipe

What a fucking episode! I don't even care that
Spoiler alert
Herogasm wasn't quite what was hyped, mostly just funny and explicit. I can understand that the cast and crew thought more of it as they had to be on set with all that madness. Anyway, the rest of the episode was worth the hype, for sure. That fight scene was incredible, I can't believe we got it so soon. I like that they kept Homelander as a significant threat by playing up his obvious advantages, even with Soldier Boy's new power. The scene with Homelander talking to himself in the mirror was Antony Starr at his very best. Give him the fucking Emmy! A great twist at the end with Starlight's speech and I wasn't expecting that ending for A-Train either.
[close]

This season is really delivering and there's still two more episodes.

Fishfinger

^ Agree. There's no walking back what happened this episode, it's game on. Good. Finally.

druss

That was great, but not sure how there's another two seasons now we have got to this point.

Spoiler alert
Good ending for A-Train, obviously he was a murderer asshole but there was a partially redemptive arc even if it took his brother getting paralysed to get there and Hughie got what seemed to be a genuine apology, even if influenced by A-Train's brother.
[close]

BeardFaceMan

A lot of game-changing stuff there, thoroughly enjoyed that. The Frenchie stuff is still the weak part for me, obviously they couldn't have him like he is in the comics but he's just so boring.

up_the_hampipe

Another great, game-changing episode this week. Some people theorised the twist but I dismissed it, so fair play. This is the first time I was truly sold on Jensen Ackles and Soldier Boy as a character, they've made another formidable villain.

phantom_power

I've liked Soldier Boy all season but agree he is getting stronger as a character. I do think they are maybe making Butcher too much of a cunt now that it will be hard to row back from. They seemed to set him up for some sort of change of heart after seeing how he is just like his hated father and how much Hughie is like his brother but then they just doubled down on his cuntiness for some reason

Another belter episode, but by Christ those Cockney accents were appalling.

BritishHobo

Couldn't tell if I was imagining it, but I thought the little brother sounded a bit NZ. I like the thought that they might have deliberately directed his family to sound like New Zealanders doing bad cockney accents, as that would be less incongruous with Karl Urban's accent than if they actually sounded authentic.

I loved that, though. I was a bit pessimistic at the start of the season because I'm always paranoid about shows padding plots out, but it does feel like they're heading to the point of no return, hopefully things are going to absolutely explode in the finale.

Part of me really liked Butcher's decision at the end. I appreciate a show that does flashbacks to show a character realising they have been a terrible person... only for them to fall again at the end and perpetuate the same bad behaviour.

Ant Farm Keyboard

John Noble, who last played Butcher's father, is Australian himself. There's no shortage of kids actors who can do some convincing English accent around Toronto, so it must be a deliberate choice.

checkoutgirl

This is getting high marks by critics so far in the third series. Is that justified?