Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:09:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Katherine Ryan Backstage

Started by Virgo76, June 12, 2022, 07:44:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Utter Shit

Yeah that's the problem with the show as a concept...you're never really getting the true backstage vibe because they're all  'on' for the cameras while simultaneously self-editing the chat that would actually be interesting. It's still entertaining enough and at least gives a vague idea of what it's like backstage, but it feels like there's a structured-reality, Made In Chelsea-type filter on it.

Replies From View

Quote from: pigamus on June 15, 2022, 05:40:21 PMThinking of Avalon maybe?

Noticed the Avalon logo in the credits of Taskmaster the other day.  I'm gradually catching up and am finally at series 10 (the one with "famously Avalon-affiliated" Richard Herring).  Has it only just appeared or did I not see it when it was there?

Replies From View

I'd like to see a version of this where none of them are showing off because they all want down-time and solitude backstage.

MigraineBoy

Quote from: Replies From View on June 21, 2022, 10:28:42 AMNoticed the Avalon logo in the credits of Taskmaster the other day.  I'm gradually catching up and am finally at series 10 (the one with "famously Avalon-affiliated" Richard Herring).  Has it only just appeared or did I not see it when it was there?
I think it was always there, however 10 was the 1st Channel 4 series, so perhaps the end credits got an overhaul & it now appears more prominent.

the science eel

Quote from: checkoutgirl on June 13, 2022, 03:56:33 PMToo many stand up comedian based shows on telly, too much Katherine Ryan. Yet more Jimmy Carr, yet more Frankie Boyle, yet more Sue Perkins, yet more Hatrick Productions clients. The same ten people in everything. Who is interested in these people still?

just wankas

Virgo76

Quote from: Utter Shit on June 20, 2022, 09:22:32 AMWatched this one last night, and I'm so confused. In the space of five minutes Norcott:

-Is told he needs to go on stage and fill for a few minutes, and flies into a panic despite being a professional comedian with presumably plenty of material designed specifically for this kind of show.

-Gets on stage and seems fine.

-Gets told he needs to come off quicker than expected and is openly furious about it both off and onstage.

-Is back to normal again five minutes later.

Is that a fair summary? It just felt all over the place and so confusing. Did I miss a layer of irony in his anger at being told to come off stage and the money stuff was just a joke? Was this section dramatised to add extra jeopardy? Or did he just genuinely act in an incredibly rude and unprofessional way despite knowing that the cameras would be on him both onstage and offstage?

You are right. None of it makes sense really.
The staged swimming pool prank at the end was crap too.
Were it a real prank, what would happen next?
Geoff bangs on the door demanding to be let in. Hilarious.

The Ombudsman

Watched this all a few days ago. Didn't feel it worked very well. Did like that it was an opportunity to get some lesser known comedians on the telly for a bit of exposure.

To me the best bit sounded like hearing the people chatting back stage, but this was only a small part of the show and as others have mentioned, the conversation was stilted because they were on camera or were going overboard to try and impress.

Of all I saw Rob Becket gave me an actual laugh, both his routine and the chat with Tom Allen.