Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:55:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pain in the eBay arse

Started by kalowski, August 30, 2020, 07:47:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcy

Quote from: Pranet on June 17, 2022, 05:21:58 PMAnyone as a buyer had a tracked item which says it is delivered not actually be delivered? just happened to me. The map on the Royal Mail website showing were they delivered it is correct. It would have been small enough to get through the letter box. I'm not sure what has happened. RM say to contact the seller which I've done.

Or anyone as a seller had experience of this? How much do the RM look into it?

It was not loads of money so if it has gone it has gone but it is annoying and just a bit weird.

Had one with tracking go missing in January. I waited ages to mention it due to the heavy postal delays earlier in the year. Contacted the seller in March and he showed the proof it had been delivered, at the bottom of my street. Too vague to see if it was delivered to someone im at war with so left it alone and took the loss.

Turned up about a month ago having been delivered to the wrong house I think due to the 4 looking a bit like a 9.

Probably as my postie is constantly blabbing on the hands free no matter where in the town I see them.

Also if the RM are showing it as delivered it seems like their problem and not the seller.

Pranet

My guess would be that it went through the wrong letter box as well. Some of my neighbours I fear would be too bone idle to put it through the right one.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Martin Van Buren Stan on June 08, 2022, 08:23:31 AMThis is what I do. Been selling on ebay for about 10 years and the auction format is a shadow of its former self. I used to put everyone on an auction and the price would virtually always rise to something decent, but now it often doesn't attract a single bid, even at a very low price. Recently I put a pair of shoes on an auction twice for £70, no bids. Then put them on BIN for £90, expecting to get an offer for about £60 and accepting. They sold for £90 within a day.

About fifteen years ago I used to sell a lot on Ebay via auction and always did well, it's a little embarrassing but I quickly noticed that if you included phrases like "Lesbian interest" when describing a tv show with same sex characters it'd tend to sell for a lot more than other identical copies, and once I added "Judge Anderson naked" after the title of the Batman/Judge Dredd: Judgment on Gotham graphic novel and got double the amount it usually went for.

Ray Travez

Quote from: Pranet on June 17, 2022, 05:21:58 PMOr anyone as a seller had experience of this? How much do the RM look into it?

As a seller, I had a shirt go missing. Was sent signed for, and the tracking said delivered. Shirt was worth £24. Royal Mail useless as ever, no information on where it was. My buyer wanted me to sort it, but there was nothing I could do. I suggested he try the local delivery office, and luckily there it was.

Bently Sheds

I posted two items "1st Class Signed For" to two separate buyers, but mixed up the tracking numbers when informing them of dispatch. A couple of days later one buyer contacted me & said he wanted a refund as - according to his tracking number - he hadn't received the package even though the website said it had been delivered.

I checked both numbers (realising my mistake) and saw both were marked as delivered with signatures to match, so I sent him a screenshot of the signature (which clearly matched his name) and the webpage report of proof of delivery for his package. He replied in 5 minutes "Oh yeah, it's just been delivered!" - when the tracking website said it was delivered the day before.

Fucking chancer.

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on June 08, 2022, 10:46:21 AMProbably people who want the thing now or can't be bothered going through the auction process.

I was about to say the same thing - as an ebay buyer I just find the process of bidding and checking the auction an extremely tedious admin overhead, and not worth it to save 4 pounds or whatever as the item usually reaches the value it is worth anyway. I can imagine it works for expensive or unusual items, but not for eg 2nd hand electronics.

I suppose it's a sign of where internet commerce is now, why would I fuck around when the item is probably available for just a bit more elsewhere. In the past there weren't as many retailers.

Pinball

I'm finding Etsy a good alternate source for buying pointless shit now. And even Facebook Marketplace has its (free) place for interacting with the great unwashed.

holdover

I had a eBay rule in my favour today. Some twat had bought a graphic novel off me for a fiver. Left me good feedback as it arrived earlier than expected during the Xmas rush. Then 4 months later he put in a dispute with his bank claiming he didn't recognise the transaction. Had he claimed 24 later I believe Royal Mail would not longer have held the tracking evidence so I assume he was at it and just fucked the timing.

Not sure why it took so long for eBay to look at it and find in my favour.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

god, the temptation to send some gloating message would be so strong.. "well that didn't work did it?" but who knows how that could blow back..

probably stems from still feeling incredibly bitter at buyers who've taken the absolute piss pretending stuff's missing or not as described. still pissed off at a guy who claimed some still sealed box set i sent didn't have the bonus CD included with the 7" singles when you could blatantly hear the fucking thing knocking about inside. gave it a load of "needless to say i am not happy" hot air yet would never answer the question of what was in the box once he'd opened it. fucking dickhead.

buntyman

I was visiting home for a few weeks and decided to do some sales on eBay of some old games at my parents' house. It was the first time I've sold stuff on eBay for years and it seems that sellers basically have no rights anymore and pay extortionate fees.
One game I sold for about £40 has apparently not arrived yet and the person is asking for a refund. I offered recorded delivery as one of the postage options but he just took the standard option so I have no tracking details, just proof of postage. Do I have any leg to stand on or am I just going to have to give a refund and be out of pocket a game and some fees?

The Ombudsman

Quote from: buntyman on September 26, 2022, 08:48:21 PMI was visiting home for a few weeks and decided to do some sales on eBay of some old games at my parents' house. It was the first time I've sold stuff on eBay for years and it seems that sellers basically have no rights anymore and pay extortionate fees.
One game I sold for about £40 has apparently not arrived yet and the person is asking for a refund. I offered recorded delivery as one of the postage options but he just took the standard option so I have no tracking details, just proof of postage. Do I have any leg to stand on or am I just going to have to give a refund and be out of pocket a game and some fees?

I had the same thing years and years ago. In the end if it's an option and they didn't take it they still give the refund.  You have to have it as the only option. What was even more annoying for me, was the silly bastard sold it shortly after. I assumed copied it then wanted to sell it on. Didn't matter to eBay. I only hope they were cunted out of the money too when they sold it. Did think about getting someone to buy it back but wasn't worth the effort.

touchingcloth

Quote from: buntyman on September 26, 2022, 08:48:21 PMI was visiting home for a few weeks and decided to do some sales on eBay of some old games at my parents' house. It was the first time I've sold stuff on eBay for years and it seems that sellers basically have no rights anymore and pay extortionate fees.

Do you have proof of postage? The Post Office will give you this if you ask for it (can't remember if just the receipt is enough for untracked/recorded deliveries).

If you do have it then that feels like it's the buyer's issue - they chose to not have it recorded, and it went missing en route.

I'd hope eBay would side with you because of that, and hopefully they won't say that it was up to you to arrange insurance separate from the shipping.

Ray Travez

I've been told that the seller is responsible for the item getting to the buyer (legally? I'm not sure.) So if they don't have it, it's your problem, unfortunately. If they do have it but are lying, the best you can do is make a claim online with your proof of postage, as touchingcloth says. You also (and this seriously pisses me off) can't claim for the value of the item unless you have a receipt for it. I buy stuff at car boot sales and sell it, so it's impossible for me to claim; even if I bought, say, a pair of trainers for £10 and sold them for £30, my refund is zero, just the postage.

Even signed for is no guarantee of delivery. I have had stuff that has been tracked; Royal Mail update the tracking to 'delivered'; but it hasn't been, it's back at the delivery office and nobody is any the wiser. I would have won the case with ebay, but the buyer would have been pissed off. As it was, he went to the delivery office and they found it.

I generally send anything that sells for over £20 'signed for' and hope for the best. I've lost a lot of faith in Royal Mail over the last twelve months. Their efficiency has gone downhill fast.

How long has it been since posting the game? I've had Royal Mail second class take up to two weeks.

edit- what's the buyer's feedback like? One tip I read is to check their 'feedback left for others.' If it's full of abusive rants it's a sign that they are, at the very least, a shitty buyer.

Janie Jones

Useful post @Ray Travez  but I don't understand this bit:

Quote from: Ray Travez on September 26, 2022, 11:01:28 PMYou also (and this seriously pisses me off) can't claim for the value of the item unless you have a receipt for it. I buy stuff at car boot sales and sell it, so it's impossible for me to claim; even if I bought, say, a pair of trainers for £10 and sold them for £30, my refund is zero, just the postage.

Your eBay listing is your proof of the value of the item. It doesn't matter what if anything you originally paid for it. You have a record of its selling price and the buyer's payment. Royal Mail should (and it takes a while but fair fucks, eventually they usually do) refund you on that basis, if you've got proof of posting.

Ray Travez

I'm not sure if it maybe changed recently, because I've certainly been able to claim for the value of a lost item in the past, but this year I couldn't. Their website says this-

1. Where an item is lost or damaged beyond repair then actual loss is the amount it cost the customer to acquire, purchase or manufacture the item subject to condition, age and depreciation. Where an item is damaged it is the cost of repair. No additional payment will be made for the reduced value of the repaired item. [...] Below is an example of actual loss.

Mrs Smith (the end purchaser) bought a pair of jeans from a shop and paid £25 for them. If she posts them on and they go missing she can claim what it cost her to purchase the jeans, i.e. £25.

The Shop (the retailer) that sells the jeans buys them from the manufacturer for £15. If they post them and they go missing they can claim what it cost them to acquire the jeans, i.e. £15.

The Factory (the manufacturer) that supplies the shop makes the jeans for £10. If they post them and they go missing they can claim what the item cost them to manufacture, i.e. £10.

Seems to be saying that you'll get costs back, and that's it- no matter what someone is willing to pay for the item, ie. the market value. Which is what I found a few months back. But if there's a way to claim for the value of a lost item, I'd be delighted. I just couldn't see any way to do it on their online form, and the information on their website suggests that you can't.

buntyman

Hi all, thanks for the responses. I sent the game (along with a pile of others) all within the UK and got a receipt with proof of postage which includes the postcode of the address I posted it to. I had a search for help pages on Ebay to see if there was anyone I could contact but they all led to dead ends and all I could really see was it suggesting that I refund the buyer because I didn't use tracked postage: it says: "If a buyer doesn't receive their item, they're entitled to a refund unless you can provide tracking information showing that it was delivered". I sent it on 10th September using 2nd class post - everything else I sent arrived well over a week ago so either it's been very slow, has got lost or the buyer is trying to pull a fast one. The buyer has only got 6 (positive) feedbacks and hasn't left any for anyone. Seems unlikely that it's a con and probably if I was him, I'd be starting to think I want my money back too. He's already began the ebay process for getting a refund so it's quite likely that ebay will just take my money back and then the game will turn up at his house shortly after. It was only £40 so not the end of the world but it's enough money to be rather annoying.

Ray Travez

Yeah, should have arrived by now. Did he try asking at the delivery office? If he didn't, it's probably too late now. If it was there it'll now be on its way back to you.

Hobo With A Shit Pun

I used to work in the compliance section of a bank, which involved sending reports to the police about suspected fraud. I got one where the complainant had sent under £20.00 for some hair bobbles to a customer, then when they didn't get them they complained to us. Looking at the customer's activity, they'd clearly been making similar sales to loads of folk through some online marketplace or other, and doing it for a few months. No big amounts, references to different clothes and accessories, and none of the other people paying had complained.
I read through the notes on our systems, and it turned out Fraud had put a total block on the customer's accounts over the incident, and that the evidence it was fraud was that the complainant had 't received anything two days after she'd paid.
To be fair to fraud, when I called for further info I gave the guy the reference number, there was a silence as he read the notes, and then he just swore under his breath. So they're not all idiots.

kalowski

Here's an odd one. Just found a mint copy of Nick Cave's B-Sides & Rarities, all 7 discs, for a Buy It Now price of £15.99.
The usual price is around £100.
So I bought it...
I'm just waiting for the seller to get in touch with a "I meant £159.99!"

Icehaven

Quote from: kalowski on October 02, 2022, 08:18:54 PMHere's an odd one. Just found a mint copy of Nick Cave's B-Sides & Rarities, all 7 discs, for a Buy It Now price of £15.99.
So I bought it...

Or it'll be CDRs and photocopied sleeves.

kalowski

Quote from: Icehaven on October 02, 2022, 08:39:09 PMOr it'll be CDRs and photocopied sleeves.
It's vinyl! Mad to bootleg this!

kalowski

Anyway, yeah...if it seems too good to be true...

GoblinAhFuckScary

i looooove ridiculous ebay finds. my last steal was gorgeous like-new margiela dress for 14 quid, and their new prices are 1500-2000 pounded pounds

JesusAndYourBush

If you reckon the guys slipped a decimal point on the price then you might get lucky if he has a lot of items to post and kindof does it all on autopilot.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: kalowski on October 02, 2022, 08:18:54 PMHere's an odd one. Just found a mint copy of Nick Cave's B-Sides & Rarities, all 7 discs, for a Buy It Now price of £15.99.
So I bought it...

It'll just be the part two double album, I guess.

https://www.discogs.com/release/20668702-Nick-Cave-The-Bad-Seeds-B-Sides-Rarities-Part-II

I'll email the seller now and make sure she's aware that she may have made a mistake and explain how she can cancel your order.

beanheadmcginty

As I now live in the Netherlands, eBay is no longer an option for me. It technically exists here but literally no one uses it. Only after a bit of thinking did I realise it must be because the Dutch have a completely different way of auctioning stuff. Did make me wonder whether there's a market for an ebay rival that operates like a Dutch auction.

kalowski

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on October 02, 2022, 10:33:58 PMIt'll just be the part two double album, I guess.

https://www.discogs.com/release/20668702-Nick-Cave-The-Bad-Seeds-B-Sides-Rarities-Part-II

I'll email the seller now and make sure she's aware that she may have made a mistake and explain how she can cancel your order.
Ha!
That's what I assumed at first, but it says no. of discs: 7.
Well, should arrive next week so I'll let you know.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: kalowski on October 03, 2022, 06:18:16 AMHa!
That's what I assumed at first, but it says no. of discs: 7.
Well, should arrive next week so I'll let you know.

What happened?

kalowski

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on December 23, 2022, 12:49:53 PMWhat happened?
It was just part II. I told the seller and they apologised - seems they'd made a genuine mistake when listing and gave me some money back. I managed to get the 7 disc box for £44 and will not sell the part II at some point. (I tried once but no bidders!)

kalowski

Sold some of my son's Warhammer paints so he could put the money towards new cricket gear. Absolutely convinced the buyer has fucked me over, claiming the package was ripped and nine out of the eleven paints were "missing" but seller has all the power. Can't prove a thing and my friends at Evri do not refund paint delivery of any size.