Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:52:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Extremely small moments in comedy that make you laugh way more than intended

Started by Tikwid, May 01, 2018, 01:28:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oy vey

Quote from: The Mollusk on December 01, 2021, 06:11:21 PMLarry and Jeff/Lewis are an incredible double act of bullshit shenanigans. In "The Doll", I love the blatant bollocks Jeff spouts about how the loose shelf in Sammy's room has been bugging him for months.

That whole scene is fantastic ("You said Sweet Judy Brown Eyes?!") but the highlight for me is how carelessly Larry leaps up to grab the doll and rips the shelf off the wall. Makes me howl every time.

Lots of love for The Doll here. I swear I popped in for this scene, just after above. It's the bit where Larry is scrambling to find a pose before Suzie comes in. https://youtu.be/UU4PHnd7tFk?t=91

kalowski

Pink Gregory

The Mollusk

Of all the solid gold in This is Spinal Tap, recently as I've been listening to a lot of jazzy prog rock I keep thinking of "Jazz Odyssey" and the flimsy, offhand delivery of

"On bass, Derek Smalls. He wrote this."

The way it completely flattens the wanky pomposity of the performance is perfect.

kalowski

Quote from: The Mollusk on February 15, 2022, 02:49:22 PMOf all the solid gold in This is Spinal Tap, recently as I've been listening to a lot of jazzy prog rock I keep thinking of "Jazz Odyssey" and the flimsy, offhand delivery of

"On bass, Derek Smalls. He wrote this."

The way it completely flattens the wanky pomposity of the performance is perfect.
God yes. I love that line.

The Frank Butcher

Sir Adrian Dangerous with an orange saying, "I'll eat that when I've peeled it."

During the "you can do it if you really want" ending song on an episode of the big night out reboot.

Vic Reeves: "disinfectant, no, no, no" (finger wagging at the camera)

There was a bit where he seemingly forgot the next line of the song and covered by going "get bent!" and doing a big leg kick that really tickled me as well :D

Are we still gonna get "the glove"? Is that still happening?

Tikwid

Rewatching the original Office again and finding myself oddly taken by the references to unseen characters, often all the funnier for their deadpan names. Managed to steel myself for Nobby Burton and Eric Hitchmough but Gareth's "look at Jeff Lamp" took me way off guard. Also loved the staff meeting in the Christmas special when they're discussing the return of Pete Gibbons, and Keith contributes with a single solemn "Gibbo"

Captain Z

Tim Key in an episode of We Need Answers describing Shakespeare's writing as "almost Dickensian".

Sebastian Cobb

In Treme a neurotic scruffy musician/radio dj guy says to the father of the young girl he's giving piano lessons to:
"You're a professor aren't you, I love to teach, don't you?"

John Goodman:
"Yeah I love it so I much I shave before I do it"

Bad Ambassador

Listening to an old Harmontown, Dan's doing a sex/seduction spoken rap with a smooth jazz stock track playing the background.

"Girl, I don't care if your pussy looks like (music cuts out) gnarled scrambled eggs."

kalowski

In Look Around You Music 2000 they out this tiny pause in when they say rap music.
"This music is called Rap...music"

kalowski

This bit of Fawlty Towers, which occasionally pops into my head:
"They've been telling me about California. You can swim in the morning and then, in the afternoon, you can drive up into the mountains and ski."
"Must be rather tiring."

samadriel

In The 12th Man's "Wired World of Sports" album (a spoof of Australian weekend sports TV), I adore Max's tossed off "oh, good" after he finds out Ken didn't see who attacked him (ie, Max)

famethrowa

Quote from: samadriel on April 30, 2022, 02:23:17 AMIn The 12th Man's "Wired World of Sports" album (a spoof of Australian weekend sports TV), I adore Max's tossed off "oh, good" after he finds out Ken didn't see who attacked him (ie, Max)

Those 12th Man records are a treasure trove of asides and little reactions that are so funny, the details are what make them rise above simple parody. I love Bill Lawry's rising glee when he gets insulted by the Nawab of Petaudi during his This Is Your Life, it just suggest years of simmering animosity.

Magnum Valentino

I've not watched much of Taskmaster but I've just watched a little outtakes video recommended by YouTube and your man Alex was reading out a Christmas list which included "pressups equipment", which he clarified was just "a floor", to absolutely no reaction from the big chap or the other panellists.

Great gag Alex! Surrounded by wankers!

Pink Gregory

Bob's Burgers

any time Bob or Linda tell Gene not to do something he proposes to do and he just responds by shouting 'NO!' and the conversation moves on with little to no reaction.

Blue Jam

Just started watching Key and Peele on Amazon Prime and burst out laughing at "Sleep like a baby...
Spoiler alert
with AIDS..."
[close]

phantom_power

Two bits from my recent re-watch of The Young Ones:

The way Rik and Ade say "binoculars" in flood when they play the oddballs watching the house from the other side of the street

The way Rik says "microchip technology" in Interesting when playing one of the four horsemen of the apocalypse

Pink Gregory

Quote from: phantom_power on May 06, 2022, 04:39:09 PMThe way Rik and Ade say "binoculars" in flood when they play the oddballs watching the house from the other side of the street

Bin-ock-lee-ers

phantom_power

And then Bin-ock-er-lee-ers to drag it out to even more ridiculous lengths

I am rewatching YO and Filthy Rich and Catflap at the moment and there really are dozens of amazing line readings that imprinted in my comic psyche

dumpster

When Vyvian realises he's not going to win the argument of whose bedroom it is, his facial expression drops from excitement to absolute neutrality as he reaches for the matches and sets the bed on fire.  It's brilliant.

What I notice rewatching The Young Ones as a tired adult is that, while I remember every scene and every line of dialogue, I have no memory of the acting.  So I clearly remember Neil getting hit by a cricket bat and Vyv saying "even mindless violence seems boring today", but watching this in 2022 I see Vyvian enter the scene looking bored and holding a cricket bat, walking to the stairs, seeing Neil, looking at the cricket bat, asking himself, "I wonder if mindless violence would improve things", considering it for a moment looking at both neil and the cricket bat and deciding to give it a try.  And nope, it's still boring.  It's proper acting, selling the performance and story, but in my memory it's just silly violence.

Pink Gregory

While we're on the Young Ones, in (whichever one it is with the flood), Vyvyan's out of breath delivery of 'nah it's broken' after running down three flights of stairs, ripping the phone off the wall and running back up.

The Mollusk

Jez's pathetic attempt to sound streetwise when talking to Mark after he got mugged.

"A shooter?"

famethrowa

Just remembered one from a Letterman top ten list about Bill Clinton changing the President's music from "Hail to the Chief" to "Baby I'm-a Want You".

Pink Gregory

Matthew Dawkins Jub Jub

The waiter looking at the viewer and shaking his head in Naked Gun 2 1/2 when Frank asks for a Black Russian.

Cuellar

https://youtu.be/yKL7Qem0k8U?t=82

Paul Whitehouse's two little uncertain nods after 'rides them around with his kit off'

burstingfoam

From the comedy-drama Budgie:

Wossname (James Bolam) has been having an affair with Jean (Georgina Hale). As he's starting to put on his clothes, Jean tells Wossname that if Budgie (Adam Faith) comes home early, he ought to come up with an excuse for being there. For instance, because he wants to borrow some money or something.

Literally a few seconds later - and much earlier than planned - Budgie comes into the room and catches Wossname pulling up his trousers. It tickles me even now to think of the simple Wossname immediately and plainly saying: "Can I borrow a fiver?"

Ferris

Quote from: kalowski on April 21, 2022, 10:21:51 PMThis bit of Fawlty Towers, which occasionally pops into my head:
"They've been telling me about California. You can swim in the morning and then, in the afternoon, you can drive up into the mountains and ski."
"Must be rather tiring."

Superb.

Despite the odd dodgy joke and the tedious bloke Cleese has become, some bits of FT genuinely make me laugh in a way that nothing else can. I think Basil reminds me slightly of my dad so it's a primal hilarity trigger or something.