Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:10:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Rip-offs

Started by holyzombiejesus, March 29, 2022, 02:29:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: the science eel on June 21, 2022, 02:20:12 PMI really don't understand why anyone alive would want such a thing.

Waters is a wanker
, the 'music' is shit, it's overpriced. it's all absolute shit. Seriously! What gives?

Is he? Not arsed about Floyd feuds but he seems, politically at least, a pretty decent bloke.

Pauline Walnuts

He's always been a bit of a wanker, but these days he's a double handed wanka

Tonight I was at my favourite bar-cum-record-store, and I noticed this:

The sticker might look like it says 79.00, but it's actually 1879.00, which is approx. 200 quid. And I was just thinking, who on earth would pay that much money for something like this? I mean, I don't mind The Stones, but this is surely ridiculous.

lazyhour

I seriously doubt anyone's gonna top this in the value-for-money stakes: £38 for a two-track Paul McCartney 12" single.

Thirty-eight pounds. That's nineteen pounds per song.

https://www.roughtrade.com/gb/paul-mccartney/women-and-wives

At the same place I also saw this:

https://fanwear.no/products/the-dogs-vinylkransekake?variant=37881441484973

It's in Norwegian only, but it's basically an album in the form of a layer cake consisting of vinyls in different formats (from 4 to 12 inches). So what will it cost you to hear this, you might ask? Oh, just 412 quid plus postage.

Granted, this is a band that is well known for taking the piss (among other things, they have their own official 90 pound manhole covers for sale, at approx. the same price), but imagine waking up after a night out with the aforementioned «cake» resting beside your bed?

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Sex Festival Organizer on June 22, 2022, 08:27:13 PMTonight I was at my favourite bar-cum-record-store, and I noticed this:

The sticker might look like it says 79.00, but it's actually 1879.00, which is approx. 200 quid. And I was just thinking, who on earth would pay that much money for something like this? I mean, I don't mind The Stones, but this is surely ridiculous.

That's not actually too bad. 18 7" singles for 200 is on the pricey side but it's not extortionate.

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on June 22, 2022, 09:04:59 PMThat's not actually too bad. 18 7" singles for 200 is on the pricey side but it's not extortionate.

Oh. Damn, that's taken the wind out of my sails a bit. I'll admit the only single on vinyl I've ever bought is Chris Isaak's Wicked Game, so I'm not exactly au fait with the prices of these things...

Uncle TechTip

Over 10 pounds for a repressed 7" is all manner of extortionate, don't you worry. Maybe compared to these awful record store day deals it looks more favourable, and it's Norway so expensive to start with, but still.

Guess how much the upcoming reissue of Bowie's is. Double black vinyl, no extras.

Spoiler alert

My indie of choice sent a message out to say that they're appalled at the wholesale price and are refusing to stock it. Fair fucks.

Spoiler alert
Wholesale price is £35. Mad.
[close]

HMV recently reopened in my town after several years absence, with the music section having a heavy vinyl focus. Unfortunately it's all expensive new releases/reissues with an average low-end price of around £30.

To me that really starkly emphasises the difference between what records used to be (mass-produced, functional, affordable) and what they've become (a luxury item aimed at collectors with more money than sense).

I bet they'll have to start marking stuff down eventually though, no way will they shift all those discs at that price point.

the science eel

Quote from: Ron Maels Moustache on June 23, 2022, 08:50:17 AMHMV recently reopened in my town after several years absence, with the music section having a heavy vinyl focus. Unfortunately it's all expensive new releases/reissues with an average low-end price of around £30.

To me that really starkly emphasises the difference between what records used to be (mass-produced, functional, affordable) and what they've become (a luxury item aimed at collectors with more money than sense).

I bet they'll have to start marking stuff down eventually though, no way will they shift all those discs at that price point.

That's what I thought when they reopened the Workington branch a few years ago. But no, it's still full of CRAZEEEE priced vinyl, there's never any fucker in there, it's a mystery how they keep going.

Do they get funded by other businesses or something?

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on June 22, 2022, 10:42:24 PMGuess how much the upcoming reissue of Bowie's is. Double black vinyl, no extras.

Spoiler alert

My indie of choice sent a message out to say that they're appalled at the wholesale price and are refusing to stock it. Fair fucks.

Spoiler alert
[close]

I meant to say "Bowie's Earthling" there, not just "Bowie's". Obviously.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on June 22, 2022, 10:42:24 PMGuess how much the upcoming reissue of Bowie's is. Double black vinyl, no extras.

Spoiler alert

Spoiler alert
[close]

Fucks sake, how?? Are EMI or whoever owns them now paying for fast track pressing past the backlog at the plant and passing on that cost or something?

Surely there's more of a reason than just "vinyls trendy again, he's a dead "legacy" artist and we know you'll buy it anyway so we'll charge what we want"

Art Bear

Quote from: lazyhour on June 22, 2022, 08:32:23 PMI seriously doubt anyone's gonna top this in the value-for-money stakes: £38 for a two-track Paul McCartney 12" single.

Thirty-eight pounds. That's nineteen pounds per song.

https://www.roughtrade.com/gb/paul-mccartney/women-and-wives

Limited to a total quantity of 3000 worldwide.

Fonz

Quote from: the science eel on June 23, 2022, 09:13:20 AMThat's what I thought when they reopened the Workington branch a few years ago. But no, it's still full of CRAZEEEE priced vinyl, there's never any fucker in there, it's a mystery how they keep going.

Do they get funded by other businesses or something?

The really strange thing about the two HMVs near me is the large amount of weird Japanese and American sweets and fizzy pop, that are extortionately priced £3-5 for some weird pop or exotic kitkat style candy.  I've never seen anyone buy any.
Similar to the americandy money- laundering shops, perhaps?

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Yeah wouldn't be surprised at this stage. Our new (well, moved up the road) HMV is full of that. Expecting it to be exposed as some laundering wheeze any day now.

holyzombiejesus

HMV never seem to learn. Fopp neither. Their whole raison d'etre is selling music and video in a physical format. In an ever shrinking market you'd think that they'd realise that value would be a main driver for getting customers through the doors but instead they're probably the most expensive place you can buy vinyl. Quite what Fopp's playing at I don't know. A friend wanted the Lemonheads reissue and it was about £10 more in Fopp than Piccadilly Records. I spend at least £200 a month on records and never even browse the racks in HMV. They'll go bust again soon and there will be all the usual hand wringing and people will lose jobss and all because the owners are fucking clueless.

dontpaintyourteeth

Well I for one am shocked that the Spawn Clown action figures and Pokémon fizzy drinks they've filled their shop floors with aren't bringing in the customers

dontpaintyourteeth

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on June 23, 2022, 10:27:29 AMHMV never seem to learn. Fopp neither. Their whole raison d'etre is selling music and video in a physical format. In an ever shrinking market you'd think that they'd realise that value would be a main driver for getting customers through the doors but instead they're probably the most expensive place you can buy vinyl. Quite what Fopp's playing at I don't know. A friend wanted the Lemonheads reissue and it was about £10 more in Fopp than Piccadilly Records. I spend at least £200 a month on records and never even browse the racks in HMV. They'll go bust again soon and there will be all the usual hand wringing and people will lose jobss and all because the owners are fucking clueless.

I honestly thought they were so close to getting it when they added the vinyl racks and the "collectors editions" Blu-ray shelves, but the prices for records in particular are absurd and they're obscured behind a load of chintzy crap in most of the branches I go in.

the science eel

Quote from: Fonz on June 23, 2022, 10:20:53 AMThe really strange thing about the two HMVs near me is the large amount of weird Japanese and American sweets and fizzy pop, that are extortionately priced £3-5 for some weird pop or exotic kitkat style candy.  I've never seen anyone buy any.
Similar to the americandy money- laundering shops, perhaps?

It wouldn't surprise me. Who'd buy a £3 Kitkat? or a £15 box of Cheerios?

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Art Bear on June 23, 2022, 10:14:40 AMLimited to a total quantity of 3000 worldwide.
What's the number of them that'll never get played and will just sit in a McCartney completist's cupboard somewhere? 2,700? 2,800?

Pauline Walnuts

purlieu

I sometimes wonder when labels are going to start printing collectors' sleeves so they don't have to fork out to make actual vinyl albums that will never, ever get played.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

ha fair enough point, wouldn't be surprised if they started doing that in a few years.

or could even just save money on pressing and slip a few rubber LPs into a batch instead assuming they'll never actually be opened and found.

Starlit

Quote from: purlieu on April 11, 2022, 04:00:19 PMYou won't find disc rot on anything produced after the early '90s. There were only a couple of plants responsible for it.

Unfortunately it's happening again.
A range of discs from Sonopress start to rot, such as the mid 2000s Can hybrid SACDs.

DJ Bob Hoskins

Quote from: purlieu on June 23, 2022, 02:35:29 PMI sometimes wonder when labels are going to start printing collectors' sleeves so they don't have to fork out to make actual vinyl albums that will never, ever get played.

Possibly sooner than one might have thought:

https://superdeluxeedition.com/news/lorde-offers-fans-a-discless-version-of-her-new-album-solar-power/

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Pink Floyd's recent single for Ukraine's getting a CD and 7" release. The latter's a tenner, surprisingly, figured given what it's for they'd be asking 15-20 knowing in this case it's not really a piss take.

kalowski

Quote from: DJ Bob Hoskins on June 23, 2022, 06:27:21 PMPossibly sooner than one might have thought:

https://superdeluxeedition.com/news/lorde-offers-fans-a-discless-version-of-her-new-album-solar-power/

I might buy that. She has a sexy bum created an environmentally kind, forward-thinking alternative

purlieu

Quote from: Starlit on June 23, 2022, 05:20:05 PMUnfortunately it's happening again.
A range of discs from Sonopress start to rot, such as the mid 2000s Can hybrid SACDs.
Ah, interesting, didn't know about those. Seems to mostly affect SACDs and BluRays it seems.

Quote from: DJ Bob Hoskins on June 23, 2022, 06:27:21 PMPossibly sooner than one might have thought:

Oh yeah, I started a thread about that at the time. The most ludicrous thing about it being that the box costs way more than your average CD. Thankfully it doesn't seem to have caught on.

DJ Bob Hoskins

Quote from: purlieu on June 23, 2022, 09:52:51 PMOh yeah, I started a thread about that at the time. The most ludicrous thing about it being that the box costs way more than your average CD. Thankfully it doesn't seem to have caught on.

I've just remembered those 'B&H packet' singles box-sets that Oasis released back in the '90s.

Each box contained 4 CD EP's, plus a booklet and bonus CD of interviews. I think they cost IR£25 apiece at the time, which would have been the price of 5 CD singles. What was unusual though, is that they also made just the box + booklet + bonus disc available separately for £5.

I always thought that was quite a classy move on the part of the monobrowed Mancs given that they could have just as easily rinsed the fans who wanted the box sets but had already shelled out for the individual CDs.