Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:50:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The price of fish

Started by Tony Tony Tony, June 22, 2022, 03:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inspector Norse

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 22, 2022, 05:46:07 PMbig fan of the jumbo sausage supper + a king rib on the side.

Aka the Prince special

monkfromhavana

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on June 22, 2022, 05:34:16 PMcouldnt you eat hitler roe instead

I don't think I've ever even seen another person order roe in a chippy.

Scottish chippies are the weirdest, insisting on calling everything "suppers" and selling black pudding. One time I had fish and chips in Glasgow it was totally inedible due to the amount of grease, and I love grease.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Lemming on June 22, 2022, 04:20:43 PM£8 for a miserable-looking 10" pizza

So I was saying this to my mate at the beginning of the year we used to think £100 was massive, and it is, when we think about benefits or weekly wages £100 is still a lot of money i.e. losing £100 out your weekly benefits and you would be fucked, losing £100 out of your weekly wages and unless you are making mega bucks you would be seriously pissed off.

Now consider that if you are not using the 2 for 1 promotions then £100 is 4 x-large pizzas from Dominos.  Just think about that for a minute, 4 x-large pizzas for £100 and what you used expect you could do with £100.  Seemed incredible to me when I thought about it.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: shiftwork2 on June 22, 2022, 05:44:40 PMAldeburgh Fish & Chips

Do you live by that butchers Salter and King? One of my culinary secrets it is superb.

Fish and chips is crap English food at its worst.  I once went to Rick Stiens chippy and guess what?  It was still crap.

canadagoose

Our local one is apparently £9.20 for a haddock supper. Having a buggered digestive system, though, I have to get gluten free fish and chips from the one takeaway that does it and delivers, and it's £12.95. It's fine but sometimes a bit cold by the time it gets here.

the science eel

aye well I remember being excited for HARRY RAMSDENS when we stopped on the way back from some gig when I was 14 and it was absolute cack

Glebe

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Cuellar on June 22, 2022, 05:02:00 PMUsed to get a 'lunchtime special' at the chippy near school

I bet you did you dirty old bollocks.

I remember fish and chips being 50p (35p for fish, 15p for chips). This would have been about 1983.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on June 22, 2022, 08:22:49 PMI bet you did you dirty old bollocks.

I remember fish and chips being 50p (35p for fish, 15p for chips). This would have been about 1983.

...And if they were wrapped in page 3 of The Sun, you could have a bonus Friday night post-teatime, greasy wank. Another thing millennials put a stop to.

Kelvin

I paid close to £20 the other week for a chicken roll/bap, a sausage roll and a small drink. This was in a northern town, not a city or place full of southern idiots like me. I was floored when they told me the price. To add insult to injury, the (homemade) drink was literally the vilest thing I've ever tasted, I couldn't drink more than a few sips.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: monkfromhavana on June 22, 2022, 06:31:39 PMI don't think I've ever even seen another person order roe in a chippy.

I had roe from a chippy on a camping holiday in Cornwall and spent the next night and day decorating my parents Conway Camper in sick and stomach bile. Eventually, once I was able to keep solids down again, my parents thought it was safe to venture out and take me on a walk, which resulted in me shitting myself and my dad having to give me a scrape out behind a skip.

Quote from: monkfromhavana on June 22, 2022, 06:31:39 PMScottish chippies are the weirdest, insisting on calling everything "suppers" and selling black pudding. One time I had fish and chips in Glasgow it was totally inedible due to the amount of grease, and I love grease.

Black puddings are a bit rich when they're covered in batter and the same size as a jumbo sausage. White puddings are pretty good as a chaser though, I'd also recommend a spicy haggis but not all places do them. As for being too greasy, I wouldn't say that's representative of all Scottish chippies, and believe me, I've tried a few.

There's also 'red pudding' which I assume is a savloy made from all the bits of lip and arsehole considered too rough to put in an actual savloy, avoid.

Fishfinger

£13.60 last month in Rendezvous in Bristol, two of us sharing a cod & chips with a couple of soft drinks. It is a great place to visit, festooned with celeb photos and written comments. But if I had to pay that for a takeaway, nah.

king_tubby

Quote from: Kelvin on June 22, 2022, 08:43:56 PMI paid close to £20 the other week for a chicken roll/bap, a sausage roll and a small drink. This was in a northern town, not a city or place full of southern idiots like me. I was floored when they told me the price. To add insult to injury, the (homemade) drink was literally the vilest thing I've ever tasted, I couldn't drink more than a few sips.

Name and shame please.

canadagoose

Quote from: Kelvin on June 22, 2022, 08:43:56 PMI paid close to £20 the other week for a chicken roll/bap, a sausage roll and a small drink. This was in a northern town, not a city or place full of southern idiots like me. I was floored when they told me the price. To add insult to injury, the (homemade) drink was literally the vilest thing I've ever tasted, I couldn't drink more than a few sips.
What was the drink supposed to be?

Kelvin

Quote from: king_tubby on June 22, 2022, 09:24:10 PMName and shame please.

My name is Kelvin and I spent £20 on a sausage roll.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 22, 2022, 08:48:07 PMmy dad having to give me a scrape out behind a skip.

Beautiful, just beautiful.

Kelvin

Quote from: canadagoose on June 22, 2022, 09:37:13 PMWhat was the drink supposed to be?

I can't remember exactly, cucumber and pepper, maybe celery too? But it was some wanky, healthy crap they made themselves, sold in a small glass bottle that you had to return if you wanted a pound back. Not something I'd ever have bought, but they literally didn't sell anything else except bottled water, which I should have chosen in hindsight.

It's also a few shops down from a cake shop that only sells colossal lemon cakes. Just so you have a good sense of the people who open shops here.

Goldentony

Quote from: Kelvin on June 22, 2022, 09:50:26 PMI can't remember exactly, cucumber and pepper, maybe celery too?

I mean

Sebastian Cobb

lol what sort of chippy doesn't sell cans of coke and that?

more often than not ones marked with 'multipack, not to be sold separately' but i'm no a grass.

Kelvin

Quote from: Goldentony on June 22, 2022, 09:52:58 PMI mean

Now think how much I dislike water.

And I can't emphasise enough that this isn't a posh bit of town, or even the centre of town. It's just a road where massively stacked slices of lemon cake are in demand.

shiftwork2

Do ya remember

Do ya remember

Arabic cans of coke next to pickled eggs

The other concern is the quality of potatoes from supermarkets, you can't even make your own out of these rotting sods.

kittens

went chip shop tonight. portion chip, bit fish, pea fritre, 2x pickle gerkin (fat), boiled egg, mush pea. 9.70. 23 pence donated to rnli so we could watch the little boat on the donation box bob about a bit. and this is in Expensive Bristol. Every thing is Fine Folks - The Fish And Chip Prices are as Expected! Ignore everybody else in this thread!

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on June 22, 2022, 10:01:34 PMThe other concern is the quality of potatoes from supermarkets, you can't even make your own out of these rotting sods.

After getting an air fryer and getting fed up of cutting my own potatoes like a sucker I bought one of those machines you put a potato in then wrench a handle and (uncooked) chips come out. Par boil for 3 minutes, spray with a bit of oil and in the air fryer for about 24 and they're alright.

The chip machine is a bit shit, the potato pusher can skew as it travels and then it can bend the metal waffle arrangement the tatties go through. I've stragihtened it as best I can and have worked out at what angle to twist the handle so it has the best chance of aligning properly, but ultimately I know I'm going to end up buying the all-metal one that I was too tight to pay the extra fiver for in the first place. Serves me right for being a miser I suppose.

king_tubby

@Kelvin mate, are you in Hebden Bridge right now? It's ok to say you're in Hebden Bridge right now.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Cuellar on June 22, 2022, 05:02:00 PMUsed to get a 'lunchtime special' at the chippy near school, battered sausage and chips £1.50 and this was in what early 2000s

I have a memory as a 14 year old lad (1992) in good old Drogheda county Louth, a chicken box, contained within was about 20 chips and a deep fried chicken leg. The drink provided was a 200ml bottle of pop. The price, IR£1.00. Fuck knows how much that is now but they were in business for about 2 weeks.

Sebastian Cobb

When I was in sixth form me and a mate could drive we used to go to the chippy and get a £2.50 doner meat (or chicken) pretty much every day.

Sometimes we'd get a 'box of badness' which was the above but every complimentary sauce; chilli, ketchup, mayo, mint, garlic, lemon... the works. It shouldn't work, but it did.

Emma Raducanu

With the insane rise in cost of oil, I wonder how utterly filthy many of the fryers are now that shop owners are probably changing oil less frequently. I once ordered doughnuts from a beach cafe in Morecambe and you could taste the fish it had shared the fryer with. Made me proud to be British.

Sebastian Cobb

One hot summers day I had a portion of chips with a fried fly in the mix.