Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:04:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The price of fish

Started by Tony Tony Tony, June 22, 2022, 03:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvin

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 22, 2022, 10:41:53 PMOne hot summers day I had a portion of chips with a fried fly in the mix.

Had a Subway sandwich once with a dead Daddy Long Legs compressed into the outside of the bread like a fossilised velociraptor.

It is to my eternal shame that, within one week of getting my money back, I had spent it on the exact same type of sandwich, in the exact same Subway.

imitationleather

I was waiting for a train while stood next to an Upper Crust once and I noticed a chekky little mouse scurrying between the baguettes. Lad was having the time of his life.

It is to my eternal shame that, despite seeing this, I... No, I've never bought from Upper Crust since. Makes me wonder how many times I've bought food that a mouse has already had a go on from places where they just leave it out on display, though.

Goldentony

putting food in stations was a mistake, the fucking pigeons and rats were there first so it's just us tempting the wrath by adding the hardest fucking baguettes known to man that only some mad cunt like Jaws from James Bond could enjoy

Glebe

Salmon is too expensive. I always just buy the cheap Dunnes Stores salmon darnes. Not splashing out €7 for Donegal Catch!

JamesTC

Quote from: Kelvin on June 22, 2022, 11:07:00 PMHad a Subway sandwich once with a dead Daddy Long Legs compressed into the outside of the bread like a fossilised velociraptor.

It is to my eternal shame that, within one week of getting my money back, I had spent it on the exact same type of sandwich, in the exact same Subway.

Once got a drink from Subway from the dispenser. After taking a sip, I noticed a load of ants floating in it. They gave me a new cup.

canadagoose

Quote from: Glebe on June 22, 2022, 11:20:42 PMSalmon is too expensive. I always just buy the cheap Dunnes Stores salmon darnes. Not splashing out €7 for Donegal Catch!
There's another new word I've learned. They seem to be about £4 around here - maybe I should send them over to Ireland...

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Glebe on June 22, 2022, 11:20:42 PMSalmon is too expensive. I always just buy the cheap Dunnes Stores salmon darnes. Not splashing out €7 for Donegal Catch!

I bought some 'Kraster Kippers' online a few years ago, being smoked they don't need to be refrigerated but I must admit it's a bit odd eating fish that you took out a jiffy bag.

Barry Admin

Tried to get a chip and one battered sausage the other week and it was almost 6 quid, which seemed like what you would pay for a fish supper not long ago, or you'd get peas and a few onion rings too.

Tried to get a Sub yesterday, and it was about 4 quid for 6 inch, or 8 quid for a foot long with a drink. Weren't 6 inch subs 1.39 or something? I used to eat them all the time.

Milk is a nightmare too, nearly 2 quid for 2 litres of semi-skimmed now. I used to drink it like fuck, love it, straight outta the carton. For some reason it's the only drink that even tastes nice out of a plastic container. 2 litres was 99p but now a pint costs about 80p.

Ferris

Fish stocks are in a critical and terminal decline in fairness, so it adds a few pence to the whole palaver.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Ferris on June 23, 2022, 12:51:04 AMFish stocks are in a critical and terminal decline in fairness, so it adds a few pence to the whole palaver.

One of the good things about being from the midlands is that this won't really affect me as despite eating more-or-less anything put in front of me, my adventurousness when it comes to fish doesn't go much further than kippers on toast, fishfinger sandwiches and breaded haddock.

Ferris

I had to write a pretty rough report on fish stocks in my part of the world.

The sheer tonnage of fish that are caught, killed, roughly chopped into bits, then used as bait for more fish is fucking depressing.

"Herring stocks in the straight are still collapsing"
"Oh right we'll only pull 50,000 tons out the oceans to chop into bits and use as larger fish bait then."

canadagoose

Quote from: Barry Admin on June 23, 2022, 12:40:12 AMWeren't 6 inch subs 1.39 or something? I used to eat them all the time.
Christ when was this, 2005?!

Sebastian Cobb

Dead to me since they took the club off the menu.

bgmnts

I still remember the heady mid 2000s days; quite a few lunchtimes spent walking up to the shop from school to get a chicken mayo half swansea for about a pound or something stupid like that

Literally half a massive loaf of bread filled to burst with chicken mayo for a quid. Halcyon.

Barry Admin

Quote from: canadagoose on June 23, 2022, 01:04:32 AMChrist when was this, 2005?!

Lol, I googled and it must have been the £2.49 Sub of the Day I'm thinking of. Tuesday was meatball sub day, yum.

canadagoose

Quote from: Barry Admin on June 23, 2022, 01:17:33 AMLol, I googled and it must have been the £2.49 Sub of the Day I'm thinking of. Tuesday was meatball sub day, yum.
I think I remember that, that'd have been late 2000s I think? I remember getting whole baguettes with filling for £1.60 in my home town in 2004, I can't even imagine anyone selling half a baguette for that now.

Gurke and Hare

Can we find out more about the massive lemon cakes please?

Brian Freeze

Is the thing true anout dipping your hand in batter and then being able to briefly stick it in the hot fat tank?

monkfromhavana

I'm going to the chippie tonight, so I'll take a good look at the fish and the price thereof. Last time I was in there the guy behind the counter was sharing a laugh and a joke with a customer about the stag do he'd just been on and the snuff films they had watched.

Best thread in years. Particularly liked @Inspector Norse 's Prince gag.

Fr.Bigley

They could just replace fish with like, more chips or sumfin

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on June 23, 2022, 01:35:38 PMThey could just replace fish with like, more chips or sumfin

Not much meat on the fins Bigs

Glebe

Quote from: canadagoose on June 23, 2022, 12:31:10 AMThere's another new word I've learned. They seem to be about £4 around here - maybe I should send them over to Ireland...

Post 'em over CG! Yeah 'darnes' is a weird one... it suggests the salmon pieces are 'knitted', perhaps by the Shreddies Nans.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 23, 2022, 12:37:59 AMI bought some 'Kraster Kippers' online a few years ago, being smoked they don't need to be refrigerated but I must admit it's a bit odd eating fish that you took out a jiffy bag.

'Kraster Kippers' sound like something served at the Krusty Krab!

iamcoop

The portion size of Fish & Chips is usually pretty big though, in takeaway terms. A large size with some mushy peas, a bit of curry sauce and perhaps some bread and butter is around £10-£12 round here and that would comfortably feed me and my partner.

The cost of pizza though? Absolute deso.

idunnosomename

Does anyone remember that video of the guy who was uncannily like Richie from Bottom going "whats that got to do with the price of fish". Remember when the internet had stuff like that on it rather than men with tiny faces upset that the new Buzz Lightyear movie was too gay

kittens

look, fish and chip prices are Fine. anyone making a fuss about fish and chip prices is woke. typical woke brigade banging on about "fish and chip is too expensive". no, it's too cheap! way too cheap!

imitationleather

Quote from: idunnosomename on June 23, 2022, 03:44:02 PMDoes anyone remember that video of the guy who was uncannily like Richie from Bottom going "whats that got to do with the price of fish". Remember when the internet had stuff like that on it rather than men with tiny faces upset that the new Buzz Lightyear movie was too gay

I was thinking about that when this thread popped up too. He was a solicitor from Hove who was very pissed off about balls being kicked over his wall, iirc.

Sebastian Cobb

Yeah that's it. IIRC when it was posted here there was a bit of division between "lol stroppy knob" and "the kids are probably tormenting him".

It came out not long after that other throbber got in a road rage thing and he's threatening to perform a citizens arrest on an entire family he even point's menacingly at a toddler in a car-seat through the window and bellows "AND YOU'RE UNDER A CITIZENS ARREST!"

monkfromhavana

When you eat fish and chips at home, do you decant the chips etc from the paper onto a plate, or leave them in the paper? Knife and fork or fingers?

I'm a fingers and paper man myself.

Martin Van Buren Stan

Quote from: Barry Admin on June 23, 2022, 01:17:33 AMLol, I googled and it must have been the £2.49 Sub of the Day I'm thinking of. Tuesday was meatball sub day, yum.

Was £5 for a 6 inch, drink, and a snack. Dems were the days