Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:03:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ricky Gervais: SuperNature

Started by Blue Jam, July 29, 2018, 02:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Stigdu on June 23, 2022, 07:58:35 AMThat looks fun! Let me try!

David Brent from The Office creates a multi-award winning TV show with his mate Steve.
David Brent from The Office donates £5,000 Comic Relief prize to MacMillan Nurses.
David Brent has helped raise hundreds of thousands of pounds for animal charities all around the world whilst promoting their causes.
David Brent makes a hilarious comedy about his mate Warwick and his ridiculous mishaps.
David Brent has almost zero fans on the Cook'd and Bomb'd forum, but I really don't think he cares.

" Life's Too Short" being described as ' hilarious', there.

Replies From View

Needed what the kids call "scare quotes" to indicate that it's only what the Radio Times thinks.

Mobius

David Brent from The Office creates a multi-award winning TV show with his mate Steve.
David Brent from The Office donates £5,000 Comic Relief prize to MacMillan Nurses.
David Brent has helped raise hundreds of thousands of pounds for animal charities all around the world whilst promoting their causes.
David Brent makes a hilarious comedy about his mate Warwick and his ridiculous mishaps.
David Brent has almost zero fans on the Cook'd and Bomb'd forum, but I really don't think he cares.

he also did the dance at live aid or something

Des Wigwam

Quote from: Stigdu on June 23, 2022, 07:58:35 AMDavid Brent has almost zero fans on the Cook'd and Bomb'd forum, but I really don't think he cares.

That's probably true if he hasn't seen it but all evidence of his behaviour on social media suggests he would care very much.

Dr Rock

David Brent has quite a few fans here. Ricky Gervais, especially after The Office, for me after Extras, has very few fans. Cos he went shiiite.

Jumblegraws

You stopped doing the "from the Office" suffix from the third one on.

Two decent efforts and then just resting on your laurels.

turnstyle

Quote from: Mobius on June 23, 2022, 09:05:17 AMhe also did the dance at live aid or something

Diana memorial gig.

It's what she would have wanted.

Replies From View

The conceit of being a disrespectful presence at a Princess Diana memorial concert is a good one.

The problem I have with Gervais, beyond my subjective view that his comedy has gone shite, is that he's adopted an establishment narrative with some kind of awful virtue signalling that he's doing the right thing for the best people.

It seems to have its roots in his "I'm an atheist... so crucify me" posturing.  As if it's incredibly risky to be an atheist in the 21st century.  The fact he deems it a worthy target reveals the truth of where he spends his time:  wallowing in the opinions of people who bicker in YouTube comment sections and Twitter.

So his view of trans issues, for example, is completely defined by that lens, and his posturing tells us he thinks he's simultaneously a victim (he's maintaining his "crucify me" persona) and a lone warrior against the corruption of truth and common sense by non-sequitur spouting straw men.

The most exhausting aspect of this is seeing how it's been embraced by the media that should have been the true target all along.  Sometimes you hear people making parallels with Brass Eye, but no, the target of Brass Eye was largely the media systems that direct and control the narratives, not the hysteria of trolls (who are presumably teenagers dicking around and most people try harder to simply ignore) confusedly bundled with actual disenfranchised minorities saying things nobody actually says.

In not one of his interviews has Gervais pointed out that the likes of Jim Davidson and all the right wing media have actually misunderstood his irony.  If he had some balls he'd state that.  He'd say they're the targets, not the minorities they want to join him in bashing.  Instead he's shown he's a coward by agreeing with them and their perspective on whatever issues he thinks he's raising.

His one issue is only that he's been attacked, by the way.  It always was, back when he was being such an enormous knob on Twitter with the justification that he was doing research for a new project.  He's been unfairly hounded by internet trolls.  Anyone who can side with him on that point will get his approval, regardless of the other social or political issues that are dragged in and can be made to appear synonymous.

It goes somewhat unmentioned that all of the issues that actually concern Gervais would go completely away if he just walked out of the area where the internet trolls live.

Stigdu

Quote from: Jumblegraws on June 23, 2022, 09:32:41 AMYou stopped doing the "from the Office" suffix from the third one on.

Two decent efforts and then just resting on your laurels.

You have me there, sir. Dagnabbit!

Replies From View

It's actually Oliver Hardy that Gervais tries to channel.

willbo

the Diana gig was a strange one. I dunno why he couldn't have just started talking to the crowd, asking them where they were from or what-not. He's a radio host isn't he?

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: turnstyle on June 23, 2022, 09:37:25 AMDiana memorial gig.

It's what she would have wanted.

He did 'the Brent dance' in 2005 at Live 8, two years before the Diana Memorial gig.

"Right, one time EVER. I'll never do this again."

That declaration is what makes his Diana concert Brent dancing, time-filling doubly cringeworthy. For a man who roundly derided recurring catchphrase comedy, he had hoisted himself by his own petard.

grainger

Quote from: Replies From View on June 23, 2022, 10:30:16 AMSo his view of trans issues, for example, is completely defined by that lens, and his posturing tells us he thinks he's simultaneously a victim (he's maintaining his "crucify me" persona) and a lone warrior against the corruption of truth and common sense by non-sequitur spouting straw men.

I think it might be simpler than that. He has a pattern of laughing at people or groups who are different from him. In some cases, he feels it's wrong, so he falls back on an "irony" defence. But it's essentially 1970s playground name calling. In his well-documented behaviour on Twitter, and towards people he works with, he has consistent form as a playground bully.

Replies From View

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 23, 2022, 12:35:11 PMHe did 'the Brent dance' in 2005 at Live 8, two years before the Diana Memorial gig.

"Right, one time EVER. I'll never do this again."

That declaration is what makes his Diana concert Brent dancing, time-filling doubly cringeworthy. For a man who roundly derided recurring catchphrase comedy, he had hoisted himself by his own petard.

He obviously hasn't been pulled into that against his will, though.  I doubt anyone in that crowd even said "do the dance" and if they did, and he had different material, he would have ignored it.

"Doing the dance" was clearly part of his set at that time, tied into a routine of pretending he was under duress.

The worst bit about this is how he clearly doesn't give a shit about being heard over a massive tannoy going back so far.  After the second row everyone would have heard "hur burble burble wurble burble burb", and you can see it in their puzzled faces.  His delivery is shite - it's rushed and mumbled.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Replies From View on June 23, 2022, 01:26:24 PMHe obviously hasn't been pulled into that against his will, though.  I doubt anyone in that crowd even said "do the dance" and if they did, and he had different material, he would have ignored it.

"Doing the dance" was clearly part of his set at that time, tied into a routine of pretending he was under duress.

I agree it looked staged, but that's fine. Sometimes you have to give what the public want, especially with a crowd that haven't come to see you. I can't imagine the Brent dance was ever a regular part of his stand up shows though.

His joke about 'Blair and Bush quadrupling their donations so you can all go home' seemed miscalculated, because for a split second this announcement gave everybody a rush of positivity only for that warm feeling to be shat on immediately by Gervais's brand of cheeky cynicism. Mel & Griff's comedy policemen at Live Aid had it spot on.

Replies From View

I honestly don't think the audience would have heard that much of it; don't worry.

But you're right - being able to hear it, the joke was misjudged.  It was the kind of routine that might have benefited from being practiced in front of smaller audiences first, but Gervais was never that kind of stand-up comedian.

Rolf Lundgren

I like to think of the time when Ricky is in the audience at the NTA's having just lost out an award he was desperate to win to Mrs Brown's Boys and gives a little salute when Brendan O'Carroll tells him how amazing he is.

#sadnessinhiseyes

Mr Farenheit

Quote from: Stigdu on June 23, 2022, 07:58:35 AMDavid Brent from The Office donates £5,000 Comic Relief prize to MacMillan Nurses.

David Brent from The Office talks to  Jimmy Saville from Jim'll Fix It about nurses' attractiveness and concludes "most of them are fucking pigs"

Stigdu

Quote from: Mr Farenheit on June 25, 2022, 10:23:59 AMDavid Brent from The Office talks to  Jimmy Saville from Jim'll Fix It about nurses' attractiveness and concludes "most of them are fucking pigs"

That's one nasty nonce right there.

I had a Cosplay event a few years back, so I ordered a Jimmy Saville 2-piece golden tracksuit from Amazon.

They sent the correct adult sized top but I had to squeeze into a child's bottom.

QDRPHNC

My favourite thing Gervais is when he searches for himself on Twitter and then sets his followers on any little accounts that criticize him.

#kindnessismagic #youhavetherighttobeoffended

somersetchris

Quote from: Stigdu on June 25, 2022, 02:02:27 PMThey sent the correct adult sized top but I had to squeeze into a child's bottom.

<Tumbleweed.gif>

Ferris

Quote from: QDRPHNC on June 25, 2022, 02:27:42 PMMy favourite thing Gervais is when he searches for himself on Twitter and then sets his followers on any little accounts that criticize him.

What's the matter guys; too challenging for ya!!

Mobius

Quote from: QDRPHNC on June 25, 2022, 02:27:42 PMMy favourite thing Gervais is when he searches for himself on Twitter and then sets his followers on any little accounts that criticize him.

I once retweeted a Limmy review of After Life, and was blocked by Ricky 7 minutes later, having never interacted with Ricky or his fans before. I've got about 40 followers so no idea how he stumbled across it..

Stigdu

QDRPHNC

QDRPHNC

Jake Thingray