Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:11:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Alone series 9 ish

Started by Dex Sawash, May 18, 2022, 02:44:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dex Sawash

Alone starts next week sometime

Dex Sawash

Here's a pointless trailer that probably isn't available to most of you

Noodle Lizard

Thanks for reminding me! It's been one of my favourite reality shows, but I actually didn't even bother finishing Season 8, which felt like a massive step down after the astonishing Seasons 6 & 7. My theory is that, perhaps on account of COVID, they skipped their normal casting routine and just pulled a bunch of people who made the B-list for prior seasons (I think one of them at least mentioned they had auditioned before and been turned down). So we were left with a somewhat uninspiring group of people in a fairly boring location and the winner was obvious from the first episode (I'm assuming he did, indeed, win).

It seems as though they've been listening to the audience, though, and this season will have some hopefully quite good supplemental material:

QuoteThe season will feature alongside two new digital content series, "The Ride Back", which will focus on the raw emotions of the participants ahead of tap out, and "Shelter From the Storm", an in-depth look at the ingenious shelters the participants build.

The trailer doesn't show much, seems predictably concerned with showcasing that "there are polar bears this time!", but I hope it has at least one grizzled old bastard like Roland or Alan. The younger hippie types are funny for a while, but they're far from the most interesting people to watch in those scenarios.

phes

Just when I thought reality TV news couldn't get any better after finding out The Amazing Race returned, and now this!

Twit 2

Anyone know which platforms it's currently on? I ditched it around season 7 because I got fed up of the shite quality Vimeo streams.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Twit 2 on May 22, 2022, 09:33:04 AMAnyone know which platforms it's currently on? I ditched it around season 7 because I got fed up of the shite quality Vimeo streams.

In the US at least it appears on Hulu after it's aired, but I think you can watch it on the History channel website too (might need a VPN).

Dex Sawash

When I have to watch on History channel website, it shows me the same ad for some drug over and over and it isn't even a baldness/phimosis/mental health/unemployment drug.

Dex Sawash

Watched first 2 eps last night. Maybe not in right mood but not really drawn in.

Noodle Lizard

I'm caught up now. Similar problems to S8 for me - just a somewhat interchangeable line-up of contestants. One too many YouTuber survivalists or prospective bushcraft workshoppers using it for self-promotion, a bit too aware of how it all works. The first guy to go was an incredibly obvious example of this, I may as well have scratched off a bingo card of all the notes he'd hit before unremarkably "completing his journey".

It's nice that the new location seems to provide more hunting opportunities than normal, although I expect the touted threat of polar bears will amount to nothing.

Dex Sawash

phes

Bit too early to judge this one imo, especially with the format focussing on half the contestants per episode. Could be a slow burner!

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: phes on June 24, 2022, 07:52:05 AMBit too early to judge this one imo, especially with the format focussing on half the contestants per episode. Could be a slow burner!

I thought they'd been using that format since series 6 or so, but maybe I'm misremembering. Even so, I think we're halfway through next week!

There are still a couple we haven't seen much from, so fingers crossed. I know it's unreasonable to expect an Alan or a Jordan or even a Dave Nessia every series, but we've been a bit spoiled with them!

phes

Yes I think you're right that they have but they're 11 episodes and we've had, 4?

I agree that it hasn't been a vintage start but it's been plain sailing for a number of them so far so I'm hoping once it turns it could reveal some interesting characters behind all the dull lifestyle stuff

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: phes on June 24, 2022, 01:15:42 PMYes I think you're right that they have but they're 11 episodes and we've had, 4?

I agree that it hasn't been a vintage start but it's been plain sailing for a number of them so far so I'm hoping once it turns it could reveal some interesting characters behind all the dull lifestyle stuff

Oh, for some reason I thought it was 10 per season - but yeah, here's hoping. Like I said, I didn't finish the last season (gave up around episode 6-7 I think), did that one get better towards the end?

It does seem like a relatively sustainable location this time around (so far anyway), which actually makes a nice change. In most seasons it's been a big event to even snare a mouse, so I'm glad that they seem to be able to hunt fairly reliably here as opposed to just starving and talking about starving. It was miserable to see that mother squirrel yelling as one of her kids was trapped in a snare, though.

Dex Sawash

Wife has covid so been able to just watch stuff. Caught up on this, really dull bunch this time or I'm just over it.

Adam's Halloween skit was very good though, most of the stuff like that is dire.

Noodle Lizard

Same as Season 8 for me. Haven't watched since episode 5 or so, and the prospect of catching up feels like a bit of a chore.

phes

Yeah I'm up to 8 now and this has continued as a poor season for personalities. The hunting is also tiresome and features heavily because they're all so dull.

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on June 24, 2022, 08:55:30 PMIt does seem like a relatively sustainable location this time around (so far anyway), which actually makes a nice change. In most seasons it's been a big event to even snare a mouse, so I'm glad that they seem to be able to hunt fairly reliably here as opposed to just starving and talking about starving. It was miserable to see that mother squirrel yelling as one of her kids was trapped in a snare, though.

Most of them are still starving and dropping like flies around 45 days. There's almost always been a mix of people who could and couldn't source food in previous seasons, from memory. They used to be able to fish with gill nets and often they'd be landing large fish up to about 5lb. In some seasons snowshoe hares were readily available too, as the comparible grouse are here.

It's been boring but unpredictable in who has gone. On balance I think I preferred the seasons where people struggled even to light a fire, went mad from drinking orange water or tore their house apart trying to kill a mouse. They've struggled to keep this fresh and find the balance between skills and entertainment

Dex Sawash

Only 3 remaining and there is no

Spoiler alert
white guys left
[close]