Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:25:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Fucked up my computer innit: "usb device over current status detected"

Started by Paul Calf, June 23, 2022, 11:17:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Calf

As title: can't even get to the BIOS screen.

The only change I made since I last powered down was to install DS4Windows. I've resigned myself to the idea that I'm going to have to buy and install a new motherboard, but I thought I'd ask here before I undertake the significant investment in money and time that that would represent.

I've tried all the stuff that the identikit AI-produced pages on the web say:

• Uplug all USB devices
  • Unplug front USB hub from motherboard

I was going to try updating the BIOS but I can't get to the BIOS screen. I've invested so much in this PC and I'm on the verge of asset-stripping it and cutting my losses.

I'm a total hardware dummy so if anyone more knowledgeable than me can give me a clue, I would be forever in your debt.

JamesTC

Many motherboards have a BIOS flashing utility. This will usually be a specific USB that do it that you can stick the BIOS in and reinstall. Worth looking online at your motherboard to see if it has such a facility.

Clearing CMOS might also help. Usually that just involves removing a battery for a minute but I think it depends on the motherboard.

Paul Calf

Yeah, it's got a bios flashback button but I'm a bit cagey about using it. If it's the last thing I do before I decide to replace it, I'll do it.

JamesTC

Quote from: Paul Calf on June 23, 2022, 12:01:06 PMYeah, it's got a bios flashback button but I'm a bit cagey about using it. If it's the last thing I do before I decide to replace it, I'll do it.

It should be a matter of putting the BIOS on a USB and putting it in the flashback slot and pressing the button. If you search your motherboard online, you'll find the guide which should take you through the process.

Sebastian Cobb

Is it a desktop or a laptop? It could be that there's a power supply (or regulation) issue. You'll want to confirm if there is, then determine where.

Do you have a multimeter? I'd start by checking the actual usb voltage, if it's a desktop you can probably get at a header on the motherboard to check this, if it's a laptop you might need to sacrifice a usb cable to get at the power lines.

If that was high and it was a desktop I'd check the 5-volt line on one of the molex connectors to see if it's reading high. If so, swap the PSU.

If the USB voltage was reading high and it's a laptop or the PSU reading looked ok, then I think you might be out of luck as it would point to the power regulation on the motherboard being knackered. Although some laptops do have separate power boards off the motherboard that might be replaceable.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 23, 2022, 02:34:21 PMIs it a desktop or a laptop? It could be that there's a power supply (or regulation) issue. You'll want to confirm if there is, then determine where.

Do you have a multimeter? I'd start by checking the actual usb voltage, if it's a desktop you can probably get at a header on the motherboard to check this, if it's a laptop you might need to sacrifice a usb cable to get at the power lines.

If that was high and it was a desktop I'd check the 5-volt line on one of the molex connectors to see if it's reading high. If so, swap the PSU.

If the USB voltage was reading high and it's a laptop or the PSU reading looked ok, then I think you might be out of luck as it would point to the power regulation on the motherboard being knackered. Although some laptops do have separate power boards off the motherboard that might be replaceable.

It's a desktop. I don't have a multimeter and couldn't find a molex connector or a 5-volt line if it toed me in the peas and ran off with my wife.

It's plugged into a UPS/surge protector because we have fairly frequent power cuts. I tried plugging it directly into the mains but same result.

Sebastian Cobb

The molex connector is what plugs into the back of cd/hard drives but they're "the old one" now that we have sata drives.

Whilst surges can break power supplies, they can go faulty of their own accord, it's pretty common and it's not always on/off, I've had several (powered) external hard drives from big names where the supply has gone low-voltage and the drives won't spin, the drives themselves were fine.

And there is supply and regulation in several places on your computer, so if the voltage is actually high (as it might well be) you're going to want to figure out whether the problem lies on the motherboard or the power supply and replace them, if you don't think you're able to do this, you might want to do a cost:value appraisal of taking it to someone who can versus replacing them both.

Paul Calf

It's OK - I spoke to Overclockers (who built it in the first place) and they've diagnosed a motherboard or PSU fault. They're fixing it under warranty.

Paul Calf

Thanks everyone: I've learnt some things too.

QEDIT: There's something creepy about that album title.