Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:39:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Athletico Mince

Started by Ron Superior, March 24, 2016, 07:17:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom_power

I think that's the essential difference between Bob and Andy's characters. Bob's gets to an essential truth about the person they are playing, either real or just imagined based on their face, voice or mannerisms. Andy's is just one-note "give a character an odd obsession"

PlanktonSideburns

Andy's Corbyn gets to an essential truth about Andy Dawson, and not a particularly interesting one: he finds Jeremy Corbyn annoying.

Bob's characters are often either affectionate, or just mad little bits of character making - his sting impression doesn't really feel like it has anything to do with sting or bobs thoughts on him, it's just a daft laugh

phantom_power

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on June 22, 2022, 08:46:36 AMhis sting impression doesn't really feel like it has anything to do with sting or bobs thoughts on him, it's just a daft laugh

I am not sure that is completely true. It is a daft laff but it is also a funhouse mirror reflection of Sting's public persona, which is of a sort of overly serious tantric sex god. To play him as some squeaky-voiced child who doesn't know what's going on plays against that. He also sort of looks like he should sound and act like that, in some indefinable way. The same is true of Beardsley, and most of his football impressions

Don't all the Mince characters have to have an element of truth to them (even if it's only perceptions) or an element of Bob trying to shoot them down to some extent?

Peter and the supporting cast used to make Beardsley look like a thick inadvertent racist.
Steve MacLaren made to look ineffectual and incompetent
Eddie Howe, upper class. Dyche, aggressive and uncultured.
Most footballers, thick, childlike but loaded.

You might make a case that all the supporting cast from the North East are part of Bob's world building rather than him lampooning them, but I don't think any of this applies to Corbyn. It's just the case that Andy doesn't like him and wanted to make him into a character so he could tear into him, rather than it being inherently funny.

Magnum Valentino

Oddest thing about Bob's Sting is that it's clearly just a Stott brother, and the Stotts interviewed Sting back in the 90s on TV. It's like he left that interview apparently unscathed but over time metamorphosed into them, like he was infected by some boring sci-fi end of this sentence

dontpaintyourteeth

It's pretty wild that he's been attempting to make fun of Corbyn for this long without landing a single blow

dontpaintyourteeth

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on June 22, 2022, 10:57:40 AMOddest thing about Bob's Sting is that it's clearly just a Stott brother, and the Stotts interviewed Sting back in the 90s on TV. It's like he left that interview apparently unscathed but over time metamorphosed into them, like he was infected by some boring sci-fi end of this sentence

I haven't been here that long, so maybe it's already been said, but is it me or is Sting's corpsing in that interview wildly exaggerated? This definitely hasn't irritated my mind for two decades or anything...

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on June 22, 2022, 10:57:40 AMOddest thing about Bob's Sting is that it's clearly just a Stott brother, and the Stotts interviewed Sting back in the 90s on TV. It's like he left that interview apparently unscathed but over time metamorphosed into them, like he was infected by some boring sci-fi end of this sentence

Yeah, I thought about Sting as an example, and think there's still a bit of playful teasing about that portrayal. Big fish in a little pond, loaded and living in the big house etc. He does have a tendency to pluck people from his past or the North East and make abstractions of them for general amusement though.

The only regular character I can think that he isn't really having a light dig at is Ma-Ma-Ma-Ma-Martin. Even then you could say he's lampooning the triteness of daytime telly.

phantom_power

Quote from: drummersaredeaf on June 22, 2022, 10:56:45 AMDon't all the Mince characters have to have an element of truth to them

I don't think they all do. Jamie Vardy, for instance, is portrayed as quite posh and smarmy, when I doubt anyone thinks he is like that in real life. He just looks like he should. A lot of Bob's impressions just *seem* right without really being able to explain why. Eric Dier looks like he would talk really slowly, even though before his impression no-one would have thought that. Jonjo Shelvey has the air of the vampire about him

Kankurette

Harry Kane, on the other hand, is pretty spot on, as anyone who's seen his team talks in the Spurs documentary will know. As is the Managers' Lunch Club and their destroy-and-exit plan.

phantom_power

Quote from: Kankurette on June 22, 2022, 11:38:37 AMHarry Kane, on the other hand, is pretty spot on, as anyone who's seen his team talks in the Spurs documentary will know

Is it though? I haven't seen it but is he all "fluffery buffery" in it, or is that just an eccentric addition that Bob has made to his character that is almost now retro-fitted onto him?

robhug

When Bob was first brainstorming these people it'd be great to think he instantly went

Shelvey - Vampire
Kane - Head boy in a primary school
McClaren - Carpets
Henderson - incomprehensible
Beardsley - overtly dull
Mrs Beardsley - overtly aggressive, occasional sex pest

cos they were all so obvious just by looking at them

phantom_power

Quote from: robhug on June 22, 2022, 11:45:05 AMWhen Bob was first brainstorming these people it'd be great to think he instantly went

Shelvey - Vampire
McClaren - Carpets
Beardsley - overtly dull

I think it is only obvious in hindsight because his impressions have tapped into some subliminal collective thoughts. Did anyone say any of those things about these people before Bob's impressions? Maybe Shelvey

non capisco

Quote from: robhug on June 22, 2022, 11:45:05 AMWhen Bob was first brainstorming these people it'd be great to think he instantly went

Shelvey - Vampire
McClaren - Carpets
Beardsley - overtly dull

Mark Hughes being virtually inaudible is another example.

The evolution of McLaren into basically Les Dennis' impression of Mavis Riley is incredible. And yet when I was rewatching that real life interview when he starts talking in a Dutch accent...it was sort of there!

bgmnts

It makes sense in the way Bo Selecta made sense as a kid, despite not really meaning anything. It's just funny.

But yeah there is something about each impression which does have some sort of truth to eat, McClaren is a useless carpet salesman, Dyche is a gruff bastard, Kane and co are spoilt children and Beardsley is a gormless weirdo.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: phantom_power on June 22, 2022, 09:46:09 AMI am not sure that is completely true. It is a daft laff but it is also a funhouse mirror reflection of Sting's public persona, which is of a sort of overly serious tantric sex god. To play him as some squeaky-voiced child who doesn't know what's going on plays against that. He also sort of looks like he should sound and act like that, in some indefinable way. The same is true of Beardsley, and most of his football impressions

Yea good point, I stand corrected on that one

Why does the sting one make me laugh and the corbZ one not?

mr. logic

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on June 22, 2022, 04:34:41 PMYea good point, I stand corrected on that one

Why does the sting one make me laugh and the corbZ one not?

Is it because Bob Mortimer is funny and Andy Dawson is not?

PlanktonSideburns

Lived up to your name there

Kankurette

Quote from: phantom_power on June 22, 2022, 11:42:07 AMIs it though? I haven't seen it but is he all "fluffery buffery" in it, or is that just an eccentric addition that Bob has made to his character that is almost now retro-fitted onto him?
It's hard to put my finger on why Kane reminds me of Athletico Mince!Kane. He just does.

And yes, Bob is funnier.

bgmnts

The "fookinellcmonladsfookincmon" team talk is pretty spot on.

Kankurette

bgmnts

"Let's do this! Let's clean our fucking teeth!"

sutin

Kane just has the vibe of a do-gooder mummy's boy/head boy. Bob has him spot on.

Jittlebags

But he still has a ruthless streak when it comes to splashing enemies with unclean water.

Ron Superior

Wasn't sure if it warranted its own thread but Bob's written his first novel, out in October:

https://twitter.com/RealBobMortimer/status/1544597845872877568?t=1dKbvqtzUeih73JOR-ZoyQ&s=19

Blurb:

My name is Gary. I'm a thirty-year-old legal assistant with a firm of solicitors in London. To describe me as anonymous would be unfair but to notice me other than in passing would be a rarity.
I did make a good connection with a girl, but that blew up in my face and smacked my arse with a fish slice.

Gary Thorn goes for a pint with a work acquaintance called Brendan. When Brendan leaves early, Gary meets a girl in the pub. He doesn't catch her name, but falls for her anyway.
When she suddenly disappears without saying goodbye, all Gary has to remember her by is the book she was reading: The Satsuma Complex.

But when Brendan goes missing, Gary needs to track down the girl he now calls Satsuma to get some answers.

And so begins Gary's quest, through the estates and pie shops of South London, to finally bring some love and excitement into his unremarkable life...

A page-turning story with a cast of unforgettable characters, The Satsuma Complex is the brilliantly funny first novel by bestselling author and comedian Bob Mortimer.

The Ombudsman

aunt mildred

Just caught up with the last few episodes, the ma.ma.mahamma.ma Martin from 'Homes under the Hammer' meets Steve McLaren went south pretty quick and had me laughing my tits off for the first time in ages. God bless Bob Mortimer.

Cold Meat Platter

The way Bob says "Robert!" in the Alderman's voice is on of the best things.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Bob's Country & Western song in the latest episode was fuckin' wonderful.