Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:39:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Taskmaster Champion of Champions 2

Started by MigraineBoy, June 16, 2022, 10:37:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MigraineBoy

Interviews with Ed Gamble, Kerry Godliman, Liza Tarbuck, Lou Sanders & Richard Herring are up on Channel 4's website:

https://www.channel4.com/press/press-pack/taskmaster-champion-champions-press-pack

Enzo

Once they get past Champion of champions 5 will they do a Champion of Champion of Champions?

Captain Z

Quote from: Enzo on June 17, 2022, 02:23:13 PMOnce they get past Champion of champions 5 will they do a Champion of Champion of Champions?

I'm sure they actually would if they made it that far, but I'm not sure I see it getting to 25 series. Maybe they could have playoffs with best runners-up or New Year's treat winners.

Bad Ambassador

This time next year we'll know who's in Champion of Champions 3 and not long after who half of the Champion of Champions of Champions contestants are.

Virgo76

Richard Herring said, "whoever wins this, it doesn't really count" on Sunday Brunch. A joke and possibly a bluff. Or a hint that he doesn't win?

Snrub

Richard peddled that line - or a variation - before his proper series went out which he obviously won. But then he has also done a variation on the line for pretty much every quiz show he's done where he has had mixed results.

It's probably just a funny thing to say in the moment however it turned out

g0m

Quote from: Vroomo on June 16, 2022, 10:37:28 PMInterviews with Ed Gamble, Kerry Godliman, Liza Tarbuck, Lou Sanders & Richard Herring are up on Channel 4's website:

https://www.channel4.com/press/press-pack/taskmaster-champion-champions-press-pack

that has got me nice and pumped... i'm only human

mjwilson

Seems to be a bit more cruelty to Alex than normal.

BritishHobo

I think I've slagged off Ed on Taskmaster before, but I really loved him in this episode.

selectivememory

Fair play to Herring. He was much better in this than in his series. Enjoyed his attempt at the grape task.

Really fun episode. Great tasks, and they were all good contestants. I know Ed Gamble is quite try-hard, but I think he's mostly alright really. I dunno why, but I assumed it would be a longer episode since there was only one this time. Would have been nice to have two again.

AsparagusTrevor

I wasn't massively excited about this because, let's be honest, none of the contestants were the best from their series (except maybe Liza) but it was a very enjoyable special.

bigfatheart

Yeah, thought that was much better than the first Champion of Champions - maybe the single episode format pushed everyone to bring their A-game? It definitely helped that Ed Gamble was recontextualised as the loser, which made his needy over-competitiveness more palatable.

I didn't have high hopes for this as Lou was the only one I was looking forward to seeing again, but I thought that was great fun. I agree that Ed and Rich were much funnier than they were in their respective series. I usually struggle with Kerry but she was entertaining enough too.

The live task was a NZ one, wasn't it? I'm glad that Alex seems quite happy to use ideas from other versions now. The tasks have mostly been good since series 12 ended - we've had this episode, series 13 and the New Year special without any hugely complicated ones or escape room-style games. It feels like the NZ version has helped influence that change.

I was ready to give up on it after the Alan Davies/Victoria Coren-Mitchell series but they've definitely rediscovered some of the magic recently - though the pandemic was obviously a massive factor.

Virgo76

Great episode. A very high standard.
Did anyone get any points for their title sequence antics or were they all (shudders) "just for fun?"
Were people bothered by the 'winner takes all' approach of the last round? (I'm mot deliberately referencing the 'other' Tarbuck). It kind of rendered all the other rounds obsolete didn't it? Whoever won that was always likely to win the whole thing weren't they? In which case, why bother with the other rounds? (entertaining, though they were?)

MigraineBoy

Quote from: Virgo76 on June 24, 2022, 06:32:23 AMGreat episode. A very high standard.
Did anyone get any points for their title sequence antics or were they all (shudders) "just for fun?"
Were people bothered by the 'winner takes all' approach of the last round? (I'm mot deliberately referencing the 'other' Tarbuck). It kind of rendered all the other rounds obsolete didn't it? Whoever won that was always likely to win the whole thing weren't they? In which case, why bother with the other rounds? (entertaining, though they were?)

The title sequence 'heroics' was a pretty smart move - all their antics formed the trailer, so it made the episode look more action packed, it fleshed the titles out (cos they didn't have 10 eps of clips to draw from) AND it kept Tarbuck's beard reveal a secret.

You'd assume their decision to have a 'winner takes all' final task meant guaranteed jeopardy in a single ep contest.  Because based on the scoring there were always going to be a couple of them in with a shot... I don't think it was a calculated thing to distribute the scores so it was a five way race.

mjwilson

Wasn't it only winner takes all because everyone else failed? If it had gone on over multiple rounds, there could have been other contestants getting 4 points etc. Or am I misremembering the scoring structure?

MigraineBoy

Quote from: mjwilson on June 24, 2022, 12:17:36 PMWasn't it only winner takes all because everyone else failed? If it had gone on over multiple rounds, there could have been other contestants getting 4 points etc. Or am I misremembering the scoring structure?
It was knock-outs and only the last person standing got 5 points.  Herring said on twitter today that had Greg guessed his turn correctly they'd have all had another go.

Bad Ambassador

Revised average score per episode:
Spoiler alert
Roisin Conaty      11.3
Katherine Parkinson   11.8
Victoria Coren Mitchell   12.1
Charlotte Ritchie   12.5
David Baddiel      12.8
Paul Chowdhry      13.2
Phil Wang      13.3
Nish Kumar      13.4
Paul Sinha      13.6
Jamali Maddix      13.7
Joe Wilkinson      13.8
Johnny Vegas      13.9
Judi Love      14.2
Sian Gibson      14.3
Sarah Pascoe      14.4
Tim Key         14.7
Joe Thomas      15
Lee Mack      15.1
Mawaan Rizwan      15.1
Alice Levine      15.2
Ardal O'Hanlon      15.3
Mike Wozniak      15.4
Jo Brand      15.4
Frank Skinner      15.5
Romesh Ranganathan   15.5
Doc Brown      15.6
Iain Sterling      15.6
Lolly Adefope      15.63
Bridget Christie   15.7
Aisling Bea      15.75
Katy Wix      15.8
Daisy May Cooper   15.8
Sarah Kendall      15.8
Asim Chaudhry      15.9
Rose Matafeo      15.9
Bob Mortimer      16
Al Murray      16
Lou Sanders      16
Desiree Burch      16.1
Alan Davies      16.1
Hugh Dennis      16.1
Ed Gamble      16.18
Dave Gorman      16.2
Richard Herring      16.27
Mark Watson      16.3
Sally Phillips      16.3
Josh Widdecombe      16.38
James Acaster      16.5
Rhod Gilbert      16.7
Guz Khan      16.7
Mel Giedroyc      16.8
Morgana Robinson   16.8
Joe Lycett      16.9
Chris Ramsey      17
Russell Howard      17
Richard Osman      17.2
Kerry Godliman      17.27
Sophie Duker      17.3
Tim Vine      17.5
Jessica Knappett   17.5
Rob Beckett      17.57
Noel Fielding      17.6
Liza Tarbuck      17.7
Jon Richardson      18
Katherine Ryan      18.4
[close]

madhair60

mjwilson

Quote from: Vroomo on June 24, 2022, 12:37:21 PMIt was knock-outs and only the last person standing got 5 points.  Herring said on twitter today that had Greg guessed his turn correctly they'd have all had another go.

Oh, he does very clearly say "there's only one winner of this task", I had missed that.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Virgo76 on June 24, 2022, 06:32:23 AMWere people bothered by the 'winner takes all' approach of the last round? (I'm mot deliberately referencing the 'other' Tarbuck). It kind of rendered all the other rounds obsolete didn't it? Whoever won that was always likely to win the whole thing weren't they? In which case, why bother with the other rounds? (entertaining, though they were?)

I was! Especially as Herring won it, which we'll never hear the end of now in every fucking episode of his podcast. Otherwise it was a fun episode, but I wish there'd have been a better final task.

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on June 23, 2022, 11:07:52 PMThe live task was a NZ one, wasn't it? I'm glad that Alex seems quite happy to use ideas from other versions now. The tasks have mostly been good since series 12 ended - we've had this episode, series 13 and the New Year special without any hugely complicated ones or escape room-style games. It feels like the NZ version has helped influence that change.

I can't remember as my memory is shit, but the toilet roll tower building live task was from the NZ show - https://thespinoff.co.nz/live-updates/02-06-2022/huge-honour-taskmaster-nz-challenge-replicated-on-uk-original

Quote from: madhair60 on June 24, 2022, 02:19:32 PMwhere can I see this?

https://www.reddit.com/r/panelshow/ is always a good place for taskmaster downloads, and someone's posted a link to a torrent with all 13 series and various extras.

Though as mentioned, if you're in the UK it's here: https://www.channel4.com/programmes/taskmaster-champion-of-champions/on-demand/71741-001

madhair60

Yeah was an NZ task. Except it was nothing and onions instead of balloons and bricks

Snrub

Quote from: Virgo76 on June 24, 2022, 06:32:23 AMGreat episode. A very high standard.

The Taskmaster podcast said that the idea was when they filmed it, the original idea is that it might be scored according to Ed.

Richard said by the time they got to him, as he'd filmed last, they must have given up on that idea as the crew were basically telling him what to do

Virgo76

Quote from: Snrub on June 26, 2022, 11:12:57 PMThe Taskmaster podcast said that the idea was when they filmed it, the original idea is that it might be scored according to Ed.

Richard said by the time they got to him, as he'd filmed last, they must have given up on that idea as the crew were basically telling him what to do
Yes. I've heard that too now. Richard was pleased they decided now to score the titles bit as his own attempts to enliven them were very poor and he would never have won the episode if they had.
He also says he realised the scoring system on the last round essentially rendered the rest of episode irrelevant.
Lou was quite sweary this time, wasn't she?

Swift

It's on YT for the time being - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEkRNHbybX8

Had low hopes, but very entertaining episode. Liza's beard was both amazing and weirdly odd for how much it actually suited her.

Norton Canes

Caught up with this last night. Decent one-off. As he did with his series win, once again Richard Herring comes down to a face-off for victory with his nearest competitor on the last task.