Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:17:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Starmer VIII: Labour will set you free

Started by pancreas, March 16, 2022, 08:54:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpiderChrist

Mr_Simnock

Anyone any predictions about today's by-elections? Can the turds lose either of the seats?

king_tubby

Mr_Simnock

the turds the mop headed cunt is the leader of, it does look like they will lose both seats (that is my prediction)

Buelligan

I think it's pretty much a lose/lose situation, Clive.

The one small joy was looking down the slate of candidates and marveling at the number and variety of cunts simple human endeavour can produce.  Something vaguely heroic, even comforting, about that.

shoulders

Wakefield goes red.

Seems this was due to a collapse in the Tory vote. With Brexit 'done' the locals have got what they wanted out of Johnson, it seems.

Zetetic

Quote from: shoulders on June 24, 2022, 06:37:47 AMSeems this was due to a collapse in the Tory vote.
Same in Tiverton, if not as extreme - little enthusiasm for Labour, the Lib Dems or tactical voting.

(Edit: Last might be a bit hasty - substantial switches from Labour to Lib Dems in Tiverton, probably.)

shoulders

Pink Gregory

Quote from: shoulders on June 24, 2022, 06:37:47 AMWakefield goes red.

Seems this was due to a collapse in the Tory vote. With Brexit 'done' the locals have got what they wanted out of Johnson, it seems.

Guessing it's not (I think) Mary Creagh again? 

Which is probably an improvement.

shoulders

Quote from: Pink Gregory on June 24, 2022, 07:48:04 AMGuessing it's not (I think) Mary Creagh again? 

Which is probably an improvement.

A Starmer lackey parachuted in against the wishes of the CLP and against party rules. So probably even worse.

king_tubby

Only 84 votes for the NIP who increasingly look like a busted flush.

QuoteSimon Lightwood (Lab) 13,166 (47.94%, +8.13%)
Nadeem Ahmed (Con) 8,241 (30.00%, -17.26%)
Akef Akbar (Ind) 2,090 (7.61%, +6.60%)
David Herdson (Yorkshire) 1,182 (4.30%, +2.38%)
Ashley Routh (Green) 587 (2.14%)
Chris Walsh (Reform) 513 (1.87%)
Jamie Needle (LD) 508 (1.85%, -2.09%)
Ashlea Simon (Britain 1st) 311 (1.13%)
Mick Dodgson (FA) 187 (0.68%)
Sir Archibald Stanton Earl 'Eaton (Loony) 171 (0.62%)
Paul Bickerdike (CPA) 144 (0.52%)
Therese Hirst (Eng Dem) 135 (0.49%)
Jordan Gaskell (UKIP) 124 (0.45%)
Christopher Jones (NIP) 84 (0.31%)
Jayda Fransen (Ind) 23 (0.08%)
Lab maj 4,925 (17.93%)
12.69% swing Con to Lab
Electorate 69,601; Turnout 27,466 (39.46%)

I wouldn't call that convincing from Labour give the previous Tory MP is a convicted nonce.

shoulders

NIP haven't really done anything electorally at any point to be a busted flush. They were an entertaining sideshow in one by election.

Compare Wakefield to 2019 and its pretty clear the Tory vote has collapsed due to Brexit being a done deal now. The paedo of course added to their woes and the ignominy of not having an MP for a year. Wakefield have got what they wanted, it was clear they were just lending their vote to Johnson to secure Brexit.

Meanwhile the Labour performance was alright, not awful, not especially noteworthy. The independent getting so many votes shows a degree of disillusionment

In hindsight they should always have cleaned up this seat, the analysis leading to the election was poor. Very few ardent Remainers will be prepared to admit that Wakefield turned blue because of Brexit and turned red because Brexit is done.

There was a repudiation of centrism and now there's a repudiation of Tory government.

Fambo Number Mive

I imagine having the Yorkshire Party standing with their policy of devolution didn't help the NIP.

Zetetic

4-5,000 fewer votes for Labour in Wakefield than in 2019.

Lib Dems at least picked up votes in Tiverton.

Zetetic

I know it's difficult to interpret turnouts in by-elections. That Akef Akbar managed to get 2,000 votes in Wakefield is interesting.

idunnosomename

I'm sure Sir Keir will be his measured self about what this means for his electoral chances over all, considering he managed to replace a Tory paedophile in a former labour seat

Fambo Number Mive

Imagine if they had lost in Wakefield.

king_tubby

Labour's Wakefield vote of 13,166 is the party's lowest turnout there since 1931.

idunnosomename

Keir will spin that as how his party is bouncing back from the great depression, and he cant wait to get into government and put us all in prison.

Buelligan

Hehehey!  And laughter is good for the soul, so it is. 

Anyone else been dosing themselves daily with ChunkyMark? 

Laughing, laughing, laughing. 

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: Zetetic on June 24, 2022, 08:11:28 AM4-5,000 fewer votes for Labour in Wakefield than in 2019.

It's frustrating the media aren't asking Starmer about this at his "victory lap", but of course the mainstream media don't want to say anything that could be even vaguely of Labour under Corbyn.

Pink Gregory

Much as I and many others have many, many unresolvable issues with Starmer's Labour and little faith in any idea of representative democracy in this country functionong or either existing...

Still like seeing the bastards temporarily embarrassed.

Sebastian Cobb

Ids' have added two new parts to their Adam Curtis parody in the last few days!
https://twitter.com/TheIDSmiths/status/1540321325952139264

shoulders

Quote from: Zetetic on June 24, 2022, 08:23:43 AMI know it's difficult to interpret turnouts in by-elections. That Akef Akbar managed to get 2,000 votes in Wakefield is interesting.

2019 was a GE not a by election so much bigger turnout. It was also a proxy referendum on Brexit so unsurprisingly more people voted.

dothestrand

Quote from: Zetetic on June 24, 2022, 08:11:28 AM4-5,000 fewer votes for Labour in Wakefield than in 2019.

Crucially though, Corbyn lost that seat in 2019. Starmer won it back.

shoulders

Quote from: dothestrand on June 24, 2022, 08:34:06 PMCrucially though, Corbyn lost that seat in 2019. Starmer won it back.

Mary Creagh lost that seat by being one of the most vocal belligerents against Brexit in one of the stronger pro-Brexit constituencies in England. She painted a target for her own back.

Starmer has miraculously managed to win through maintaining their previous vote standing in a vacant seat formerly occupied by a paedophile after Brexit has been settled. Wow.

I thought the grown-ups were the 'detail people'.

kittens

amazing result from starmer and even the most ardent corbynite would agree that it completely proves the last 5 years of the labour party were a waste of time.

dothestrand

Quote from: kittens on June 24, 2022, 09:06:08 PMamazing result from starmer and even the most ardent corbynite would agree that it completely proves the last 5 years of the labour party were a waste of time.

Lab last had this kind of result in Wakefield in 2001 - it's been far more marginal since. I'm sure some will want to spin it as though it was a cakewalk and a perfect storm coming together, but you've still got to win as it comprehensively as they did.

kittens

in 2017 labour got a higher percentage in wakefield than this time. i guess it depends what you mean by 'this kind of result'

kittens

am i about to have a 'political argument'? i am very excited!