Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:53:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Most famous name in most obscure British sitcom

Started by George White, June 17, 2022, 06:22:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

millwall32

Quote from: Martin Van Buren Stan on June 17, 2022, 07:48:15 PMWasn't John Lennon in one? I think if you're looking at a ratio of famous person to obscure sitcom that's hard to top as he was probably one of the most famous men on the planet at the time.  Even if he was in the most famous sitcom ever I think if you looked at a breakdown of % of humans who would recognise him Vs % of humans who've heard of that show it'd be unbeatable
No, he never was. Does mention "Meet the Wife" in one of his songs though.

ajsmith2

Lennon did say he'd like to guest on Fawlty Towers in one of those 1980 interviews from just before he died. Obviously he never did though, not least cos the show had already ended even by then.

Des Wigwam

Quote from: Harpo Speaks on June 19, 2022, 03:27:40 PMMark Hamill appears in Man Down too.

On a similar note, Carrie Fisher in Catastrophe.

Gah! Never clocked that was Steven Berkoff - even though he was pretty much staring at the screen saying "I am Steven Berkoff".

Who was Mark Hamill? Someone at the American Embassy? It's ages since I've seen it.

I did recognise Tony Robinson. So that's something. Still pretty in awe of how well he plays such a hateful character.

George White

Wasn't there a recent Sky One  sub-Richie Rich shitecom, one series thing  about a working class London kid who invents an app and becomes rich, selling to a US mllionaire played by James 'Dawson's Weekly Creek' Vander Beek

Also,
Paul Rudd in Moone Boy

That comedy anthology Secrets that Jones and Palin did in the 70s had an ep with a young Anthony Hopkins, when he was just on the cusp of being a big name (he'd already been the lead in When Eight Bells Toll, had been in The Lion in Winter, his big US break QB VII was the next year).

Jittlebags

Bernie (eeeeee) Winters as himself in one episode of Bottle Boys.

Solid Jim

Tilda Swinton has a non-speaking role in the final episode of Getting On. I spent half the episode trying to figure out where I recognised her from, and then the other half assuming I was mistaken.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Des Wigwam on June 19, 2022, 05:59:34 PMWho was Mark Hamill? Someone at the American Embassy? It's ages since I've seen it.
Bob, the husband of the moody cafe owner.

George White

Virgo76

Fidel Castro was on the titles for Hi De Hi!

Nigel Farage in Harry and Paul was something we really, really didn't need. Are they mates in real life or something?

superthunderstingcar

Daisy Ridley's one scene in Toast of London.

George White

That's pre-fame, though.
To which you could include as I've said above,  Kate Winslet in Get Back, Maggie Smith in the Adventures of Aggie (she wasn't Aggie, sadly), Anthony Hopkins in Secrets, Idirs ELba in the Boot Street Band, Daniel Craig in Drop the Dead Donkey...

Steven88

Janeane Garofalo in Ideal was quite obscure.

Bad Ambassador

Not particularly obscure, but Anthony Hopkins was offered a role in Only Fools and Horses, but had to turn it down as he was already booked for The Silence of the Lambs.

Twilkes

Not obscure at all, but apparently having telly star John Simm and movie star Olivia Williams in Spaced was a bit of a coup, and they intentionally gave Simm a non-speaking part just to toy with people's expectations.

The Ombudsman

Not sure if you would call it a sitcom as such, but Robert Vaughn was in Hustle on the Beeb a while back.

Nxmee

For a very recent one - Liam "Taken" Neeson on Derry Girls

RFT

Recent ones:

David Schwimmer in a fairly recent sky thing about spies I can;t remember the name of. Nick Mohammed was in it.

Simon Pegg in Truth Seekers (In some ways it's not surprising he turns up in a Nick Frost thing, but he's a pretty big name actor these days)

bobloblaw

Quote from: Nxmee on June 23, 2022, 09:29:24 AMFor a very recent one - Liam "Taken" Neeson on Derry Girls

Liam also played God in Rev

bobloblaw

Quote from: George White on June 19, 2022, 06:10:12 PMWasn't there a recent Sky One  sub-Richie Rich shitecom, one series thing  about a working class London kid who invents an app and becomes rich, selling to a US mllionaire played by James 'Dawson's Weekly Creek' Vander Beek

Also,
Paul Rudd in Moone Boy

That comedy anthology Secrets that Jones and Palin did in the 70s had an ep with a young Anthony Hopkins, when he was just on the cusp of being a big name (he'd already been the lead in When Eight Bells Toll, had been in The Lion in Winter, his big US break QB VII was the next year).

Paul Rudd also pops up in Toast of Tinseltown.
Alongside Bill Hader, Larry David and arguably biggest of all, Homer J Simpson.

The Lurker

Quote from: curiousoranges on June 22, 2022, 08:06:11 PMNigel Farage in Harry and Paul was something we really, really didn't need. Are they mates in real life or something?

I assumed this was a joke but nope, it really happened

Glebe

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on June 23, 2022, 08:49:58 AMNot particularly obscure, but Anthony Hopkins was offered a role in Only Fools and Horses, but had to turn it down as he was already booked for The Silence of the Lambs.

Danny Driscoll I think.

Didn't Hopkins claim Tommy Cooper (who he is a big fan of) provided some of the inspiration for Hannibal Lecter's mannerisms or summit?

Bad Ambassador

That's right.

"I want to buy a drink for everyone here. Here's a pound, and I want change."

Swift

Didn't Johnny Depp show up on The Vicar of Dibley?

George White

Quote from: Twilkes on June 23, 2022, 09:09:03 AMNot obscure at all, but apparently having telly star John Simm and movie star Olivia Williams in Spaced was a bit of a coup, and they intentionally gave Simm a non-speaking part just to toy with people's expectations.
Simm at that time was a movie star, appearing in all sorts of now forgotten Britflicks.

Quote from: curiousoranges on June 22, 2022, 08:06:11 PMNigel Farage in Harry and Paul was something we really, really didn't need. Are they mates in real life or something?

It was just a parody of random celebrities turning up in Ricky Gervais comedies. I'm sure he and Paul thought "wouldn't it be funny if it was Nigel Farage, that'll get them talking" and went with it.

famethrowa

Quote from: poodlefaker on June 24, 2022, 08:02:36 AMAl Pacino in Never the Twain

Wasn't he going to team up with DeNiro for the movie reboot?

Thosworth

Quote from: Swift on June 23, 2022, 09:08:14 PMDidn't Johnny Depp show up on The Vicar of Dibley?

Dibley was a Comic Relief sketch. He was also in The Fast Show. Not a sitcom, but worth mentioning.