Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:46:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"B*lt my hat's arse!" - AMAZING things you've only just found out

Started by touchingcloth, July 01, 2021, 09:03:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dissolute ocelot

(Speaking of barn owls.) Body lice (which live in clothes) evolved perhaps 100,000 years ago when clothes were invented, decended from head lice (which live in human hair and presumably lived in hair of other hominins, and are closely related to a chimpanzee louse).

touchingcloth

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on May 30, 2022, 11:00:48 PM(Speaking of barn owls.) Body lice (which live in clothes) evolved perhaps 100,000 years ago when clothes were invented, decended from head lice (which live in human hair and presumably lived in hair of other hominins, and are closely related to a chimpanzee louse).

Body lice came before bodies.

Twonty Gostelow

touchingcloth

dissolute ocelot

From Wikipedia:
QuoteThe nocturnal African dung beetle Scarabaeus satyrus is one of the few known non-vertebrate animals that navigate and orient themselves using the Milky Way.
Feet in the gutter, head in the stars! Some moths may be able to do so as well, but we all know about moths and their strange attraction to illumination.

gilbertharding

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on May 30, 2022, 11:00:48 PM(Speaking of barn owls.) Body lice (which live in clothes) evolved perhaps 100,000 years ago when clothes were invented, descended from head lice (which live in human hair and presumably lived in hair of other hominins, and are closely related to a chimpanzee louse).

I'm sure someone (me?) has posted about lice on this thread before. Something to do with the idea (which is bunk, by the way) that pubic lice are becoming endangered by the supposed fact that the most promiscuous people are also quite likely to have removed their pubes.

I think there was another connected 'fact' which made fun of the idea that head lice and pubic lice were different species - which one evolved first, and how did they diverge? Dunno...

touchingcloth

Quote from: gilbertharding on May 31, 2022, 10:33:40 AMI'm sure someone (me?) has posted about lice on this thread before. Something to do with the idea (which is bunk, by the way) that pubic lice are becoming endangered by the supposed fact that the most promiscuous people are also quite likely to have removed their pubes.

I think there was another connected 'fact' which made fun of the idea that head lice and pubic lice were different species - which one evolved first, and how did they diverge? Dunno...

Head lice are critically endangered in Verbwhore homes.

Cold Meat Platter

When barns were invented barn owls were probably like "this all makes so much more sense now"

Paul Calf

They did us a valuable service. If it weren't for the powerful Barn Owl lobby, we might never have got barns.

Poobum

Amazing life cycle, egg to barn owl, then emerging from their chrysalis as a perfectly formed Amish.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on May 31, 2022, 11:29:26 AMWhen barns were invented barn owls were probably like "this all makes so much more sense now"

I had a similar thought yesterday that 1000-2000-ish years ago House Spiders were all like "Y'know, these caves are a lot more cosy than they used to be!"

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on May 31, 2022, 12:17:49 PMI had a similar thought yesterday that 1000-2000-ish years ago House Spiders were all like "Y'know, these caves are a lot more cosy than they used to be!"
I'm sure I've read house spider facts about house spiders never going outside and spiders or eggs being carried between houses on furniture (like bed bugs).

There's also the question of where pigeons nested before there were buildings and bridges, but the ancestors of urban feral pigeons lived on cliffs. Lucky for them we made all these inland nesting spots.

touchingcloth

Terry Schiavo wasn't in a car accident or similarly traumatic event, but was on a diet involving drinking extreme quantities of water and iced tea which caused her potassium levels to plummet and resulted in a cardiac arrest.

The Easter Island heads are actually full body statues that were buried by landslides so that on the head was showing

touchingcloth

Quote from: kittens on June 18, 2022, 05:50:05 PMbut why do they stare

You can't see them any more, but the landslide buried the Easter Island boobs.

Sebastian Cobb

Greta Gerwig seems to dress in-theme with what she's directing:

Fr.Bigley

imitationleather

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on May 31, 2022, 03:36:47 PMI'm sure I've read house spider facts about house spiders never going outside

What name do they post on here under?

Tokyo van Ramming

Mr_Simnock

Dex Sawash

Tokyo van Ramming

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on June 23, 2022, 07:54:14 PMmy car does have a rear windscreen wiper

If the motor goes on it you'll fail an MOT, but if you rip it off entirely, it'll pass..not legally required to have one. Odd.

Paul Calf

Most saloon (US:sedan) cars don't have one. When I switched from a hatchback to a saloon I spent an inordinate amount of time looking for the rear wiper.

Sebastian Cobb

What's the script on rear washers, obviously not needed on cars without a rear wiper but I've had several cars where the hose has gotten blocked and I've forgot to fix it before taking them in for an MOT and they didn't bat an eyelid.

I also once had a brake light go and replaced it with the bulb in my nearside fog to tide me over until I got a new bulb, forgot and got an MOT pass with that. I know some cars only have an offside, but I thought if your car was supposed to have two that's a fail, I guess the tester didn't realise my particular motor was supposed to have two.

famethrowa

The rear wiper on my station wagon (estate??) stopped working, I went on google to see how to fix it and found a whole subculture of boy racers based around the phrase "delete rear wipers". Apparently it's a thing. I did not, I fixed it with superglue and bicarb.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: famethrowa on June 24, 2022, 09:51:04 AMThe rear wiper on my station wagon (estate??) stopped working, I went on google to see how to fix it and found a whole subculture of boy racers based around the phrase "delete rear wipers". Apparently it's a thing. I did not, I fixed it with superglue and bicarb.

Someone at college did it to their clio. De-Badged, removed the wiper and lock then filled the holes. They then attached a solenoid to the wiper motor power line that would pull the boot latch when they activated the rear wiper to open the boot.

Seems like a waste of time, not least because they wrote the car off a few weeks later.

A pregnancy test in the the 60s was to take the urine of a woman and inject it into a toad. If the toad produced eggs the woman was pregnant.

Hogben pregnancy test.

MojoJojo

Which replaced the earlier test that injected the urine into a rabbit instead. "The rabbit died" was a euphemism for pregnancy, although the rabbits always died as their ovaries had to be inspected.

I seem to remember that rabbits wee introduced to few places because they escaped from breeding facilities set up for pregnancy tests.